Chanel No.5

3.5

This review is for the Eau de Parfum. Like another reviewer below, I struggled for years to understand why people raved about No 5. Then, one day, a Chanel SA encouraged me to test the Eau de Parfum - what a revelation! Finally I understood other people's adoration of this fragrance - the Eau de Parfum is so much richer, refined and sumptous tha the Eau de Toilette, which is what I had tried before. This perfume lasts for hours and hours on me - I usually spray it on at about 7.30 am, just before I leave for work, and it is still there when I get home about 10 hours later. One of my all time favourite perfumes.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Crisp, confident, elegant, timeless. Snow meets jasmine.

This review is for the parfum version. The EDT is so shrill on me that for years, I couldn't understand why anyone loved No. 5. The parfum version completely turned me around.

Invigorating aldehydes turn into seamlessly blended flowers. The far drydown—as in the morning after—is rich and beautiful. Chanel No. 5 is perfect for any occasion. Usually I wear it for long, long workdays. But I've enjoyed wearing it with jeans and cowboy boots to an indie concert.

Warmer than 1000 by Patou. Medium to big sillage. Incredible longevity (more than 12 hours).

I would wear this if in the mood to wear it. This newer version is not as choking as I remember and I quite like the dry down. It lasts on me. I think I might enjoy the soap, powder or lotion as an alternative.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

an old but still lovely and beautiful fragrance, a shame that the staying power is totally disappointing! 30 minutes later that i sprayed on me its barely noticeable, and for an EDP its a waste of money cuz its a expensive one. so i only use it for special times and with tons of sprays hahaha, COCO and coco mademoiselle are much better in longevity!

Wow! I first bought Chanel No. 5 several years ago. I sprayed it on, and it seemed very strong and a little bit too mature and serious for regular wear, so it sat in a drawer for a few years.

Fast forward to yesterday. After watching Coco Before Chanel (which happens to star Audrey Tautou, Chanel No. 5's current spokesmodel), I thought it might be fun just to try the fragrance again.

I spritzed a bit on the sides of my neck, under my hair, and waited. The good old aldehydes came trumpeting out, just like last time. I'm still not fond of those, but I can appreciate them, the way someone who doesn't drink often might not like champagne, but can appreciate the artistry in a well-made bottle. The aldehyde opening cleared out within about a half hour.

The florals were next. As Mademoiselle Chanel intended, I didn't detect any recognizable flowers. Also, gone was the thick powderiness of my previous experience. In its place were rich, creamy flowers and a gentle sweetness that would later give way to the lovely drydown.

Fast forward a few hours, and the base of the fragrance came out. Mmm, my favorite. It's warm, comforting, and very amber-vanilla on me. Just perfect. Not as sweet as my pure vanillas, and not as harsh as some of the ambers I've tried. I can see why this fragrance is still so popular after 90 years!

I gave the packaging a 5 rating for the iconic bottle, but it would be nice if the liquid (I have the Eau de Parfum, by the way) was better protected from light. I just keep mine in a special perfume drawer, though.

Chanel No. 5 has made a convert of me. I will definitely be repurchasing!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I adore this perfume. It's very classy, elegant and sophisticated.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

A beautiful, elegant, sweet perfume. I spray edt on the back of my neck when my forties length hair is down; the scent lasts and lasts and keeps refreshing itself as I move my head around. The edp is more metallic and I don't use it often, but the edt is heavenly.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I love this perfume. Had been wanting it ever since my bffs bf bought her some a while back but never had the money for it. While I was on my trip to nyc I decided to spend some of my cash on this and it was totally worth it! It's the perfect perfume! For those of you saying this is only for older women please stop. I'm 15 and so is my friend that has it and we both LOVE it. The one I got in nyc came with a spray bottle but I know the one my friend got here was the kind you just dabbed on, which I think would be a pain. Still one of the best perfumes out there (though not my signature scent, that would have to be " I love love")

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I sprayed this on me when I was at Le Bay few weeks ago. I almost jumped out of my skin at how bad this perfume smelled. It reminded me of an old grandaunt who keeps leftover perfumes from 30 years ago and they have all gone funky and horrid. I couldn't wait to run to the bathroom to wash it off from me. I read that Marilyn Monroe claimed this was the only thing she wore to bed, but Marilyn isn't living in 2011 where perfumes have evolved, tastes have changed and we are now spoilt for choices. I consider myself quite an old-fashioned girl at heart but even then, this perfume is just too old-smelling.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This review is for the pure perfume.
For years now I have been searching for my "signature" fragrance. After reading the great book Perfumes the Guide by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez, I spent the big bucks and bought No. 5 pure perfume based on both thier reviews. They could not say more about the absolute beauty of No 5. Well, I have been wearing it for 3 days now and I am disappointed. First big complaint - after 3 hours I can barely detect a memory of it on me. And this is the pure perfume! It goes on very bright full of aldehydes - crisp, pungent a bit disturbing. After 30 minutes it melds into the most beautiful, rose floral - dreamy, warm, caressing, lovely, you can almost imagine your lover snuggling your neck. That lasts for about 2 hours - pure heaven - and then it is gone. Nothing but a very, very faint hint of what seems like a white musk. If it wasn't for the fact that I purchased this in the NYC Chanel boutique, I would have suspected that I purchased a fake. A pure perfume, especially No. 5 with its strong presence, should last more than 3 hours! I will use it and enjoy what is left, but would not invest in it again. I'm not sure if body chemistry truly plays a part in the longevity of scent, but if so, No 5 and I are not a good match.

Popular Fragrances