LUSH Catastrophe Cosmetic

3.9

(Calamine Powder is Zinc Oxide 'with a dash of Iron Oxide'-LUSH website) Ingredients: Calamine Powder, Talc, Irish Moss Gel (Chondrus crispus), Fresh Blueberries (Vaccinium myrtillus), Glycerine, Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena), Chamomile Oil (Anthemis nobilis), Sweet Orange Oil (Citrus Aurantium dulcis), *Limonene, Perfume, Colour 18050 * Occurs naturally in Essential Oils

on 1/21/2009 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I loved the idea of applying blueberries on my skin, but the mask didn't really do anything, except give me pimples around my chin. I rarely break out. A catastrophe indeed. My face didn't even feel nice as it usually does after I use masks. This is my first lush mask, and I hope others are better!

on 10/27/2008 1:44:00 PM

I love this product! I bought it on a whim, as I do with most products at Lush. I was there on a bus trip, and they were nice enough to give me an ice pack to keep it cold all day! The smell is very nice, a flowery-berry smell. I don't know how much this product does in terms of calming breakouts, but it does leave my face feeling very soft and glowing. You have to scrub pretty hard to get all of it off, but it is worth it. Very fun and refreshing product!

on 10/10/2008 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Where it worked: This was a fantastic body mask. Put this on my chest, shoulders and back. Got rid of the pimples I get in these areas and kept them off.

Where it didn't work: My face. This was the only product I changed in my skin care and my pores haven't looked that congested in a long time. Without fail, the night after I used this mask, I would wind up with a few large zits. I am not chalking this up to my skin "detoxifying." In my mind, my skin should look better, not worse, after using a product for 3 weeks.

General comments: This mask is really highly scented. And not "fruity" either. More like a herbal/rose blend (think Mitsouko). I was never certain I had entirely rinsed if off - even after sticking my face in running warm water (in the shower) and gently scrubbing for 5 minutes. It always felt like I had a thin layer of clay left on my face. A swipe with toner revealed nothing. Weird.

My consensus - I might consider buying this again as a body mask. As something for my face - no way.

on 9/22/2008 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

didn't really do much for my skin. I guess I need something stronger. I am a big fan of the brazened honey mask from lush and was hoping that this mask would help with my acne scars. Didn't really see any results. The process of wearing this mask was enjoyable though. It was easy to spread and smelled very pleasant. This would be good for someone with few skin issues imo. I don't think I'll repurchase as I don't really see the need for it in my routine.

on 9/8/2008 11:09:00 AM

I personally have found that my skin does not like Lush skincare. However, put a fresh face mask on it, and my skin laps it up! I have quite dry/sensitive skin, which in the last few months has also been condemned to acne on my chin. I was recommended this by a Lush SA after explaining my strange skin type to her, and she handed me a pot of this. I was told that it would be comforting to my dry/sensitive skin because of the blueberries in there, which also has an antiseptic effect which would heal my blemishes. Sounded great! So I took my pot home, took my makeup off and left it on for the recommended time of around 10 mins. After washing off, my skin looked radiant and clearer and the redness of my acne had gone down considerably, which pleased my immensely! :-) However, this does only have a shelf life of 3 weeks, which means you really have to rush to use it up. I used this mask once every other day, which didn't irritate my skin and left it looking very healthy. It didn't do much for my acne, but sadly nothing does, but as far as a mask goes, this is by far the best i've tried!

on 8/15/2008 11:45:00 AM

I bought this the other day, around 6 for a nicely sized tub of mask. Which is great compared to my usual 23 for 75ml of biotherm hydra deto2x mask.
Packaging: The packaging is nice, a good size to fit in the fridge and I think the little pots are cute. I'm saving 5 pots to take back to lush in return for a new face mask :)
Smell: Mmmmm, smells edible
Colour: Beautiful violet/blue/grey colour with little peices of real blueberry (Which I don't think are that nessecary, I can't see what they do to be honest apart from make it look pretty)
Texture: Well my mask has a kind of blueberry juice ? on top of it, looked a bit seperated, but I just mixed that in and it made the texture more spreadable.
Useage: You only need a thin layer of this mask, I've used it 4 times so far and I think I'll get at least 3 times that amount of usages.

I have to say, my skin isn't in that bad condition, I very rarely get spots and my only real problem is a bit of milia underneath my cheeks, but thats under control now.
I put this on and left it for about 20 minutes the first time - result : Nice glowy smooth skin
The second time I used it, it only stayed on for about 10 minutes - result: same, nice glowy skin
The third time, I tried this on my mum (in her 40's) - result: smoother skin and tighter pores but she was left with about 3 giant yellow spots in the morning
Next time I used it, I got the same result, GIANT (well for me) yellow spots, about 3 of them. 1 of which, I couldn't resist popping, so now I have an EXTREMELY sore head :(
I don't know weather these spots are becauause I've used it too much, 3 times in about 3 days (Its new, I would never usually use a face mask that often, 1nce or 2wice a week at tops), weather you're actually supposed to get these giant spots, they've been brought out from under your skin? and it has really done it's job properly ( I should just wait for the spots to subside and then try it once a week) or weather my skin just doesn't like it :(
I WILL update this review, in about a week and see how I go on if I leave my skin for about a week (simple routine, cleanse & polish and instant boost skin tonic) then give it another go.
I hope I can like this product, TONS cheaper than my biotherm and it's REALLY fun to use, but I want a face mask not to give me spots!
Would I buy it again? It depends, at the moment, if these spots don;t go soon, no, but if the spots go and leave me with skin like after the first use, then yep.

on 6/20/2008 4:34:00 AM

I'm not really sure how I feel about this mask. I went in looking at buying Love Lettuce or Crash Course, but the LUSH SA talked me into this one. I was having some skin issues, breaking out and that caused me to go nuts on trying to get rid of them, causing my whole face to be a red, irritated mess.

The reason I don't know how I should feel about this mask is that it soothed my skin (lovely putting it on right out of the fridge) but upon rinsing, I discovered it totally exfoliated my skin, but not in a good way! Looking in the mirror I could see a dead layer of skin all over my face. I could rub this off with my fingers. Now, ususally I would say "WOOHOO" to something like this, only the dead gobs of skin forced me to rub myself smooth with a towel, kind of un-doing any "soothing" effects.

Of course, now I can't stop touching my skin, because it is as smooth as a baby's butt. Nothing has ever exfoliated me so effortlessly. But my soft baby's butt face is red and kind of raw in spots. Pooh :( There, you understand my dilemma.

I put that I would buy again, but I'm going to try out the other LUSH mask offerings first.

on 6/5/2008 3:15:00 PM

I am giving this mask four stars as a spot treatment ONLY! using the mask all over my face leaves it too dry. However, as a redness reducer, this baby works wonders! I tend to get a lot of acne, and unfortunately, I am one of those people who like to pick at it. (And yes, I know I shouldn't, it just keeps happening, lol) This mask reduces the redness from my acne, and I sometimes use it all-over my face to reduce ruddiness, but afterwards I need to use tons of moisturizer, or else my skin produces an oil slick to compensate.

As a face mask I give this 3 stars and as a spot treatment I give it 4.

on 4/22/2008 10:17:00 AM

Catastrophe Cosmetic turned me a serious mask girl. I would not say that it does wonders (in my opinion no cosmetic product really does), but this mask soothes, purifies, moisturizes, calms and gives the skin very smooth, silky texture. Those whole blueberries can be a bit annoying, but on the other hand the mask has a lovely, very natural and quite mild scent.

If you don't want this mask to take all the moisture out of your skin, don't let it dry while it's on your face. On the other hand, drying zink powder and talc effectively pull out excess oil and impurities from skin, so you can apply thinner layer to your oily zones and intentionally let that area dry.

on 4/21/2008 6:22:00 PM

I absolutely love this mask! I've been a fan of bio-fresh for a while and this is probably the best i've tried. I have combination skin that gets irritated easily. This mask helps to calm down any redness or irritation that i get and does help with clarifying my oily areas. The scent is to die for, fruity and floral, that typical lush scent. Will keep buying this till i can get no more.

Popular Masks