August 27, 2014 | 829 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Gardenia

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2002 12:53:00 AM More reviews by Pauloy

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The parfum is what I am currently wearing on my wrist. Barely 3 drops of it and it is simply a beautiful fragrance. I am not fond of gardenia or jasmine scents as my other reviews will attest, but Chanel's Gardenia has won me over with it's soft and gentle approach. It is almost creamy and on the verge of being green and fresh; only a touch of sweetness is added to bring it back to its floral origin.

It is so ladylike and serene, never boistrious or loud (alluding to Micheal), and it just has that very classic, Chanel of the 1920's elegance and simplicity.

I suppose it's the aldehydes that give this the style of Chanel fragrances from the '20's, but then I suppose that this is exactly why I'm partial to No. 5, Bois des Iles and now, Gardenia. They all are soft and feminine fragrances, subtle and not overwhelmingly floral.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2002 9:46:00 PM More reviews by ifthe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is how I was hoping L'Artisan's Tubereuse would smell!
Sweet, warm, soft, and clean!
The description on the Chanel website describes this fragrance as a mixture of dew-drenched leaves, creamy gardenia petals and the charm of vanilla.
It's a VERY fitting description! I know some will be put off by the vanilla, but it's really not highly prominent in this one. It basically just serves to warm and soften the sharpness of the gardenia. If you're a major tuberose/gardenia lover, you may not appreciate this aspect of the scent. For instance, if you're a L'Artisan Tubereuse and/or La Haie Fleurie wearer this will be way too tame for you. But if you're a La Chasse aux Papillons and/or Fracas wearer as I am, this may be right up your alley. I think this is a really beautiful, well balanced fragrance that will be completely wearable 100 years from now; utterly classy and classic. But what else would you expect from Chanel!

*Update: I'm taking the overall rating down a point because the staying power is not the best. Expect to reapply this about every 3 hours or so if you purchase the EDT.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2002 4:55:00 PM More reviews by Mayra

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

GREAT gardenia rendition. Not a true gardenia by any means but a wondeful approach by Chanel. Light, fresh, clean. Jasmine tends to take over. A faint orange blossom note in the background holding on to dear life. Favorite of mine anytime of year. Initially available at department stores (i purchased mine from The Bon Marche here in Seattle)as a limited edition. Now only available through Chanel boutiques and the odd and overpriced e-Bay auction or Ulta sale. If you see it grab it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2001 7:57:00 PM More reviews by Adele

Ooohh, this is nice. I have a tester that I've worn every day since I got it, and I think I'll have to go get me a bottle!! nice and fresh, not too floral... that chanel signature note... I don't know what it is but it smells great!