OPI Top Coat

2.7

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Acrylates Copolymer, SD Alcohol 40B, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Tosylamide/Formaldehyde Resin, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Etocrylene, Benzophenone-1, Dimethicone, CI 60725

on 8/11/2007 8:17:00 PM

I'm an art student/musician so my nails get chipped easily and my hands get beaten up a lot. I'm pretty anal on care with my hands for years even quite young.

OPI top coat seems like any ordinary top coat if you generally use OPI/expensive salon polish. However with my budget and taste in colors I own polishes I bought on clearance for 50 cents to $10 nail polishes.

The BIG difference about OPI top coat for me is that it makes ANY nail polish last long without chipping... which is great because I can buy something dirt cheap and know it'll last long as long as I use this as a top coat!

Cons: this is a bit thick so you need to learn how to control it, it can strip minor pigments off some brands, and the shine is good for a few days however the no chipping is good for about 2 weeks.

Even with the price, I'd buy this again just because it makes ALL my other nail polishes last so much longer.

on 8/3/2007 11:42:00 AM

Nothing special about this top coat. It's not shinier or lasts longer than a cheaper version from drugstores.

on 5/5/2007 11:56:00 PM

I have used both Poshe and Seche Vite top coats and although I have only used this OPI one once, I must say that I like it best.

Mainly because it has been 7 days exactly and I do not have any chips. A colleague even asked how I kept my nails so ship free.

I currently have a very bright teal polish on right now and any chips would be super obvious.

Anyway, I thought Poshe was better than Seche Vite because SV peeled a whole lot. My favorite of all is this OPI top coat I got at ULTA by the personnel there's recommendation. It's surely worth a try if you're looking for a top coat that really prevents chips.

on 3/10/2007 10:00:00 AM

It's a clear topcoat. It prevents chips particulary if you reapply during the week. It also gets thick quickly, meaning you cannot even make it 1/4 of the way through the bottle before it changes consistency. It's heavy and drags across your nails, making you fear that you are about to ruin the polish you so carefully applied. You can get topcoats that work much better for less (such as Orly's).

on 2/5/2007 3:25:00 PM

I actually prefer this regular top coat over the Rapidry version. This top coat applies a decent shine and does not take too long to dry. I don't understand how OPI can make great nail polish products but horrible nail treatment products. I get tip wear and chips like crazy with this top coat, and I don't even keep my mani beyond 2-3 days. Since I wear mostly reds and vamps, tip wear and chips are a big no no for me. I have my bottle from an Ulta sale a while ago but will not repurchase. I'll keep trying out other TCs.

I love OPI nail polish, so I'm sad to say that I'm disappointed in this top coat. It's nothing special at all...it makes my nails shiny at first, but after a day or two they look dull again. It doesn't do much to protect against chipping, either. I'll probably use up the bottle since it was so pricey, but I won't buy this again.

on 1/18/2007 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My mom bought this. she asked me if she should and i said well i love opi polishes so why not try it. well I put it on my nails and they chipped the next morning. I am hard on my nails and after i applied and waited for it to completely dry i saw dings in the polish. I have been using Jessica's dazzle glistening topcoat and when i use that one i never see dings or chips and it dries super quick. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it huh. I doubt i will be using this topcoat again. which is sad cus i really LOVE opi's polishes.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have only used this top coat once but have not had a great experience with it. I used a pink OPI nail color and put this on top of it. I was not impressed. Within two days my nails were already chipping. And within ten minutes of putting this stuff on my nails no longer looked clean and shiny. They looked dull.

on 10/29/2006 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Mine doesn't peel in normal use. Actually, I work with lots of papers (at law firm) so my fingers and nails are very dry. I use OPI Nail Envy (Original is better than dry & brittle) as base coat and use OPI top coat with only OPI nail colors. I use only one top coat (and usually one coat of color). They last until I remove them after a week or more later (with OPI Remover) as my nails keep growing. They NEVER chip or peel unless I use my fingers to remove staples or similar things. I've been using OPI over five years and never go back to other brands including Essie and Sally Hansen Diamond Top Coat. I don't like OPI's pricier brand Nicole though. For $7.50 bottle, I can use over a year. A little goes a long way. Just be sure to buff your nails first before applying any polish and wait over an hour if you wash your hands. Nails should be completely clean of oil or lotion before applying polish. Also, be sure to spend time between coats. These are the secrets of staying power.

on 10/9/2006 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I don't like this at all. I don't know if it looks nice after a long time, because after about 10 minutes it started peeling off. It's thick & globby and adds an extra millimeter or so to your nails because it sticks off to far at the tips, with a globby stringiness. I had to use a nailpolish remover pen to get it to look normal, and that just let to more peeling.

I can't seem to find a good quality top coat from any brand. I've also used Sally Hansen's quick-dry (30 or 60 seconds, not sure which) top coat, but while it dried nicely and looked good a few days, it got cracked and looked bad soon after. If anyone knows a really good one, please let me know! Thanks :) But don't try this OPI stuff.

Top Rated OPI Products