December 22, 2014 | 1079 users online

Top/Base Coats - OPI - Top Coat

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2007 2:49:00 AM More reviews by RaquellaDeVille

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have only used this top coat once but have not had a great experience with it. I used a pink OPI nail color and put this on top of it. I was not impressed. Within two days my nails were already chipping. And within ten minutes of putting this stuff on my nails no longer looked clean and shiny. They looked dull.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2006 8:44:00 PM More reviews by nyomya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Mine doesn't peel in normal use. Actually, I work with lots of papers (at law firm) so my fingers and nails are very dry. I use OPI Nail Envy (Original is better than dry & brittle) as base coat and use OPI top coat with only OPI nail colors. I use only one top coat (and usually one coat of color). They last until I remove them after a week or more later (with OPI Remover) as my nails keep growing. They NEVER chip or peel unless I use my fingers to remove staples or similar things. I've been using OPI over five years and never go back to other brands including Essie and Sally Hansen Diamond Top Coat. I don't like OPI's pricier brand Nicole though. For $7.50 bottle, I can use over a year. A little goes a long way. Just be sure to buff your nails first before applying any polish and wait over an hour if you wash your hands. Nails should be completely clean of oil or lotion before applying polish. Also, be sure to spend time between coats. These are the secrets of staying power.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/9/2006 11:27:00 PM More reviews by Alexandra_F

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't like this at all. I don't know if it looks nice after a long time, because after about 10 minutes it started peeling off. It's thick & globby and adds an extra millimeter or so to your nails because it sticks off to far at the tips, with a globby stringiness. I had to use a nailpolish remover pen to get it to look normal, and that just let to more peeling.

I can't seem to find a good quality top coat from any brand. I've also used Sally Hansen's quick-dry (30 or 60 seconds, not sure which) top coat, but while it dried nicely and looked good a few days, it got cracked and looked bad soon after. If anyone knows a really good one, please let me know! Thanks :) But don't try this OPI stuff.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2006 6:38:00 AM More reviews by boscoe7777

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Used this with the base coat for natural nails and got chips within the week. Also gets thick after a while. Looking for a new topcoat...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2006 9:45:00 PM More reviews by shar145

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It's funny I came across this site tonight, because I just gave myself a french manicure and I can't find my OPI top coat ANYWHERE. I have been tearing up the house for an hour trying to find it. I finally had to settle for the sally hansen top coat. OPI topcoat is the shiniest clear I have ever seen. And trust me, I have tried on MANY brands in the stores, trying to find one that is comparable to OPI for less money. Also, it holds the color underneath on very well too. I painted my toenails about 3 weeks ago with a cheap nailpolish and covered them with the OPI. And except for the fact that my nails are growing out. The polish still looks like I put it on yesterday. I would HIGHLY recommend this product. It is durable and EXTREMELY SHINY!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2006 6:21:00 PM More reviews by happygirl75

Works great. No bubbles for me (yet) and very shiny. Definitely made my polish last longer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2006 12:27:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

I bought this at half price, otherwise would have passed it by. A tough, long-lasting protective top coat that is hard and shiny. A must-have for your nail arsenal. What's not to like?

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2006 5:09:00 PM More reviews by nastycat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

this is a good tough top coat- tends to take a long while to dry over nail enamel- even with drip dry. I do notice that it gets goopy at half-bottle, and see the bubbles another reviewer mentioned, so points off for that.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2006 4:12:00 PM More reviews by MC_Pee_Pants

Basic top coat of the same quality as the rest of the OPI line. Bueno!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2006 1:11:00 PM More reviews by ericaberryy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

All i can say is that my manicure & pedicure last weeks longer because of this top coat! Will definately repurchase.