Ben Nye Bella Luxury Powder in Banana

4.2

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I bought this because of the hype...I know, I know (put's head down in shame). I don't normally do it but it just kept calling me and then click, click it was in my cart...seconds later it was paid for. I must say that I am new to setting powders, this is in fact my first. I have used Bare Mineral's foundation powder in the past. In comparison the textures of the Ben Nye is so fine, it almost feels like silk. It is very fine milled and I needed the tiniest amount to set my under eye concealer. I never realised up until a few months ago how dark underneath my eye's had become. Lot's of late shift's and poor sleep will do it. I really notice that this powder complements my skin, there is no grey ashy tone when I put this on. My under eye area now appears to be brighter and less cakey looking with the banana powder on. The only thing I am not to keen on is the container it comes in. I will have to decant this into something. Perhaps in future this will be made in a nice travel friendly pressed powder form.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This powder did not work for me. It left my skin looking flat, dark, and a bit chalky.

I heard about this product for a while and finally purchased it from ebay to see if it would work as a setting powder for my liquid foundations rather than always using a mineral powder to finish. I really do not see what is so special about it. It is not as yellow as I thought it would be, it is sort of a dark somewhat orange yellow. I was hoping for more of a pastel golden yellow. I suppose it sets the makeup and does what it is supposed to do but it honestly does not do much for complexion, definitely does not neutralize foundations that are too pink, and does soften or make the look more natural. I used both as a setting powder for the entire face and for concealers. The price is quite affordable so I cannot complain but it is not any more special than powders that have been around for ages like the Coty or other loose powders like that.

Love it! I read great reviews about this product and that Kim Kardashian's makeup artist uses it on her. Her makeup always looks flawless and under eye area super bright. I am around NC25-30 and use this powder strictly to set my under eye concealer (my routine is Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Brightener, Mac Prolongwear concealer in NW20. After I pat it in with the Beuty Blender so concealer doesn't settle into fine line and creases after some time. The final step is Banana powder.) I was never so please with my under eye area and the longevity of the look, which to me is uber important. I tried so many setting powders: Bare Essentials Well Rested, ELF HD powder, MUFE HD translucent powder, Coty Airspun Powder... This is the best powder with an amazing price! I bought mine on e-bay for $15.00 (8 o.z.). The only complaint I have is the packaging as it is very messy and dispenses 2 much powder which you end up wasting. But that will not sto me. My holy grail product!

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I got some based on the great reviews, I got some and although I love yellow based powder this banana one is way too dark yellow for my light skin tone. Secondly I noticed that , I guess it must be the talc but it gave my skin a dull cak-ey look, I didn't like it at all. Luckily I had some Meow Equlibrium powder on hand , I mixed it and my skin appear super fine and pore-less again. I am very picky about powder and this one is not that fine, it didn't refine my pores and the color is way too dark yellow.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

For reference, I have oily, very warm (read: yellow), acne-prone, NC25/30 skin. I use Mac Blot in Medium-Dark (which is the only other powder I have that is a decent comparison to this one). Banana Powder is great for warming up foundation colors, setting fdtns / concealers and also getting rid of shine on my face.

COLOR: This is probably the best selling point of this powder and I agree that it is EXCELLENT for those with warm skin. IT IS VERY YELLOW. I don't recommend for anyone who is cool,neutral or "slightly" warm because it might clash with your skin. This powder does warm up the greyness of Asian BB creams and any other foundations I have that aren't quite warm enough (Revlon Colorstay *cough*), although the effect is subtle, so don't worry about looking like a Simpson.

PACKAGING: The loose version of Banana Powder comes in a clear plastic bottle (there are 2-3 sizes, I believe) with a sifter on top, but it always dumps out too much if you try to shake some out. The cap is annoyingly too small to swirl a brush in. I adapted by using my large Coty Airspun cap as a swirling platform but it's still annoying to use. Definitely taking off a lippie for that.

FINISH: Gives a matte, diffuse, soft finish when brushed over foundations. I haven't used HD powders so I can't compare it to them, but the finish is quite similar to that of Mac Blot powder, only yellower. Most importantly, Banana Powder can keep me matte for around 7 hrs or slightly longer. I get dewy later on during the day but that's not surprising given how oily I am. This is a great (but not perfect) powder for oily skin and setting dewier foundations!

PRICE: Excellent! I got the small bottle for something like $7, and it'll probably last me 1+ years at least. By comparison, MAC Blot is $24 and seems to last between 3-6 months, depending on how much you use it daily.

***EDIT***
Okay after about 3 months of using this daily, I THINK the starch (both rice and corn starch) in this powder is breaking me out. I seem to be in the extreme minority, but I am acne/clog-prone so I'm not too surprised. I'm not changing my rating because I still think this is one of the best powders I've ever tried, but just wanted to give other people warning in case they start breaking out and are not sure why.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I Love highlighting my face and giving it a natural looking glow so I gave into the hype and purchased the product. I bought it from a costume shop in Toronto because it's sooo hard to find. It was quite expensive too, my medium sized container cost me $25! Anyway when I put this on my face I immediately stated itching in the places I applied it. Contrary to popular belief I found it to be quite drying and also chalky looking.
The next day I broke out pretty bad on the spots I applied it, but I spent so much money on it and wanted to continue to test it out. After a week of bad break outs and itchiness I finally gave up and quit using it. My skin is still recovering.
Be warned, the first ingredient is TALC! Which is proven to be very reactive and harmful for certain skin types. I've realized my skin can't tolerate it.
Anyway I gave this a 2 regardless because it wasn't anything special than other brands I've tried. The staying power isn't anything to rave about, it's dry, chalky, and makes makeup run too.
What I do like however was the consistency. It's very fine so you can controll the amount you apply.

I don't hate this product, I just find it mediocre. I'm light/med and have been using this powder for about 3 weeks. The color is fine, but truly don't see what all the hype is about. It sets my foundation/concealor just like any other powder I have used. The price is good, there's alot of product in that little shaker jar. I may repurchase because of price alone but not because its a better than average product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

found the perfect setting powder. $8 on camera ready cosmetics, sifter bottle. loads of product that is so finely milled. i am NC30-40 depending on the season and this suits my skin so well. when i put it on my face, there is no strong yellow even if i accidentally put too much on.
it seems to bring a subtle highlight, much like ive used a yellow concealer on my cheeks, forehead and undereye (though i havent). it does so well at setting and controlling oil too.
doesnt settle into pores and doesnt smell. it would be great in a pressed form too because then i would carry it around for blotting if i needed it. i find that instead of using MAC blot powder, even though it doesnt have much pigment, the Banana Powder makes me look more radiant and healthy. before i bought the banana powder, i though Blot powder was okay, but when i compare the finishes of the two, banana powder wins hands down.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

After reading through every one of these reviews, I decided to go and purchase this product. I ordered a 3 oz from Makeupmania.com. Very cheap and only $2.99 shipping. The bottle is bulky, but I don't mind it. It has a sifter top. What I do is turn the bottle up side down with the cap still on, so when I open it, there's some powder on top of the sifter, I then use my big elf complexion brush, and lightly sweep up the powder and dust it on my face. I use very little- a couple sweeps on my Tzone, and one sweep on each cheek and chin. The effect is subtle, yet amazing. I previously use elf's HD powder, which I still love. This has the same effect as the HD powder, but also provides a nice glow on my face. It gives my complexion a lovely 'soft focus' look. My pores are barely noticeable and my skin is just glowing.
I have oily, acne prone skin that is very prone to clogged pores. I keep my skin fairly clear with 2% Bha, but I still need a light layer of foundation to smooth out my skin tone. This powder oomphs up my complexion by giving it a great glow. It also really helps control my oilies. It is extremely light and fine, I don't feel anything on my face at all. Also, I should mention that I am Asian and have a pretty light skin tone that is yellow based, so I do not notice anything with this powder leaving any yellow cast on my face. It is so fine though so I think it should be suitable for all skin colors. I wear this all day from 7am-11pm with no issues at all. It helps my make up stay put all day, and by 11pm, I look like I still have freshly applied makeup on. I am so happy I read the reviews and got this, I'd recommend it for anyone!

Recommended for Normal Skin