July 25, 2014 | 2005 users online

Eyeliner - Essence - Gel Eyeliner

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2012 1:22:00 AM More reviews by polakeys

This product is so great and cheap. But I found differences between London Baby (brown) and Midnight in Paris (black). Maybe the last was waiting for too long in the store but it's thinner and less creamy than London Baby, it also smudges a bit after 10 hours if I don't apply a primer, London Baby doesn't, even without primer. Also they have different finishes, Midnight has a very matt finish, London has a very little and subltle shimmery finish almost unnoticeable that reflects light.

I highly recommend both.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2012 10:23:00 PM More reviews by xJustKidding

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

After hearing so many great reviews about this product, I decided to give it a try. The results stunned me! This eyeliner is super pigmented, long-lasting, and stays put for hours. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it's a bit hard to remove, but that's not too much of a problem.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2012 3:52:00 PM More reviews by lechickpea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm verging on having an incriminating number of eyeliners, and I'm particularly partial to gel/cream formulas. But I'm going to say it- this is the best liner I've tried, and that includes MAC blacktrack and the Stila smudgepot. If you're going to the ds, definitely pick this one up before the maybelline one, which has also gotten a lot of love on MUA. IMO, the essence liner glides on much blacker in one swipe than the maybelline, and is more longwearing and smudgeproof.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2012 11:46:00 AM More reviews by thecaitlanimal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I legit love this eyeliner! I bought it because it was only 3.99 and I figured if I hated it at least I wouldnt be out that much money but I think its awesome :) I bought the brush by essence too and it works well. Totally the best gel or wet eyeliner I have ever used. it goes on smoothly and doesnt smudge at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 6:01:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Edit: used it in waterline fr first time today, hrs later, cried after sustaining an injury, it remained perfect
Great product, great texture, forgot to take off makeup one night & next morn, twas fresh and cleanly lined as ever. I prefer the Maybelline one only cuz the texture is a bit drier. London Baby is my fave. Brings out my brown eyes. Dark, but not harsh; good for daytime. Midnight in Paris is matte n very opaque black, which, next to eyes, makes them appear sparkly and glowing by contrast. Unlike Bobbi Brown (i have the black n sepia ones), this does not smudge, fade or flake.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2012 12:12:00 AM More reviews by AbeerKhanF

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought it at first cuz it was dirt cheap then wrote a review n deleted it cuz It wasn't justice to it. So here is what I have to say WOW!!! I got my first HG product..all it's claims are legit. The blackest black, goes on smooth, doesn't smudge, doesn't transfer, doesn't give me allergies as I'm wearing it on my waterline, longlasting, waterproof. I have to first loosen it up with baby oil n then remove it eye makeup remover. The thing doesn't budge or run even on the hottest day of 42C

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 11:13:00 AM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Essence's Gel Eyeliners are probably one of the most affordable on the market. These liners are said to be an "ultra smooth gel formula that allows for precise application." Essence recommends applying their gel liner with their gel liner brush, which I only just purchased today, I've been applying it with Gloss' Professional Eyeliner Brush before hand. Essence promises that this gel liner is "quick drying, long lasting, smudge and waterproof." This gel liner is available in 3 shades, I have London, Baby; a dark charcoal grey with purple micro shimmer. Each pot of eyeliner contains .1fl oz (3ml) and costs $3.49, which is pretty dang affordable. This eyeliner was made in Italy. Essence is a cruelty free brand. Essence is available in most European drugstores, Ulta in the USA, Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada, and Target in Australia. I purchased mine at Ulta.
Essence's Gel Eyeliners come in a cute, round, little glass pot with a black twist on cap. The cap seems pretty airtight, so I'm not too worried about the product drying out. The lid has a small label affixed to it with the name of the product and a geometric square print. The back label has the shade name and number, a brief product description written in a couple languages. There is no indication that the packaging is recyclable, but it seems like it would be. The ingredient list isn't included on the packaging, nor is it on the Essence website. I had to scrounge around the internet to find it. Personally I think it should be mandatory for every beauty product to have the ingredient list on it, or to come with a small leaflet with the ingredients. Anyways, I like this eyeliner's packaging. It's cute, compact, and functional, like just about all of Essence's packaging.
Before I go on about Essence's Gel Eyeliner, let me tell you a story. I've only ever used one gel eyeliner before this one, Ulta's Extreme Wear Gel Eyeliner, to be exact, in the shade Prime Time. From the day I got it, it was very hard and difficult to work with and had minimal color payoff. I would have to wipe off the top layer of product before each use and even then it was still a pain to use. I didn't realise that gel liners weren't meant to be that way, and because of that, never understood why so many people raved about them. Then I got this one and fully understood many people's gel liner obsession.
Essence's Gel Eyeliner is extremely creamy and easy to work with. It glides onto the eyelid in one fluid stroke. It's like everything the Ulta brand liner isn't! I was so surprised by the smooth texture of this gel liner. This eyeliner is light like a gel, but thick enough to be opaque in one swipe. I should mention that Essence doesn't indicate whether or not this eyeliner is waterline safe. Personally I haven't tried this on the waterline, mostly because I like how Avon's Mega Impact works on my waterline, and I also don't want a brush that close to my eyeball. It's up to you on whether or not you want to try this liner on the waterline.
Wear for this eyeliner is pretty good. I wore it on my way to Australia and it stayed on for about 20 hours, not that you should ever wear eyeliner that long on normal circumstances. I find that pretty impressive, since Essence didn't make any crazy claims about this wearing 12,18,24 hours While I haven't really tested this eyeliner's waterproof claims, I believe them, just because of the longevity of wear. I have however, tested the smudge proof claims, and it's legit. Essence's Gel Eyeliner sets right away and stays put. If you make a mistake or want to smudge this liner, you probably have 10 seconds or less to work with. Don't be too concerned about removal, which can be a pain for waterproof eyeliners. This one comes fairly easily with an oil based remover. Be thorough though, a little bit of this liner tends to hide between my lashes, giving me raccoon eyes in the morning.
London, Baby is richly pigmented and looks like a soft black or dark gunmetal in the pot. In reality, when swatched it's a dark charcoal shade with very subtle purple and gold micro glitter. The micro glitter doesn't show up on the eye, and I really only noticed it for the first time when I was doing my swatches. Even though the glitter doesn't show up on the eye, London, Baby has a fairly metallic finish, which looks pretty cool. A dark charcoal like this is a really good alternative to black eyeliner, especially for pale people like me. The nearly invisible flecks of glitter don't result in any apparently fall out, by the way.
Essence's Gel Eyeliner has completely changed my mind about gel eyeliner. I want to try so many more now! The texture of this eyeliner is superb, it's so easy to get a smooth, precise, opaque line. It wears really well, even on long haul flights. Best of all, it holds up to it's claims, not that that's hard. Essence tends to make really general claims about their products. I definitely recommend Essence's Gel Eyeliner in London,Baby. The color is super flattering and the price is super affordable. I'll almost definitely repurchase this epic gel eyeliner, and I'm quite tempted to try the other shades. This is everything a gel eyeliner should be! ^__^

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by alice2078

I really liked this gel liner. Super pigmented and really nice packaging for the price. In Canada this is $2 - $4 dollars so a really good deal. Also it is super creamy and pigmented, personally I don't have oily lids just normal so without setting it or even putting a primer it lasted around six hours for me! The only problem was that it does smudge, and you need to be a bit abrasive to get it off.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Tallywa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is a great drugstore liner, but i personally prefer the mac fluidline.
this is very creamy and very black, blacker than the mac one and i love this for traditional lining, however, my favorite way to line my eyes is tightlining, in which this stuff smudges, not badly and only after 4 hours (with no primer and not setting it, i just watched movies, so no sweating or anything), but still smudges, and my day is usually pretty long and there's usually a bit more sweating involved.
it does, however, do well against some other eyeliners i have, so it's still a very good product.
when i put this and fluidline side by side on the back of my hand, let it dry, and rub it, i notice fluidline kind of flakes off while this one smudges off, i think that's why it smudges on my eyelid.
this stuff stays pretty well on the waterline, so i'll keep using it for that, but i would honestly rather spend the 18 dollars on fluidline than this, just for that peace of mind. it's great if you don't have super oily eyelids like i do tho, so i'd still recommend it.

UPDATE: it smudges like crazy on my waterline too, again, as opposed to flaking away in little bits (and not giving me the panda look)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2012 10:59:00 AM More reviews by Oilyacneproneskin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got the black and taupe/grey. The black is very intense black and I like it but can't use everyday as it is too much. the taupe is good as well but seems a little less pigmented. I bought this at a local shoppers drug mart along with the eyeliner brush (dirt cheap but much better than the much more expensive eyeliner brushes I got from sigma) As with all eyeliners, it does smudge on my oily skin even with primer. This is comparable to all the more expensive gel liners I have (clinique in jet black, Kate in brown). Definitely will buy again...will look for the brown next time as I like a more natural look and brown gel liners definitely is the way to go for a natural look. The formula is smooth, creamy and very easy to apply