October 24, 2014 | 1709 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Gaijin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I loved how this looked on me when I had a makeover done at Sephora, so I got a sample of it in Light/Medium. It was a perfect match, had great coverage while still managing to look like my skin. And just the tiniest amount is needed since it is so creamy. However, after a couple of hours I was a shiny mess, and it had oxidized to a more orange color. Even after blotting it just did not look good anymore. Kept trying to get it to work because I so wanted to like this, as I love the tinted moisurizer, but I will have to pass on this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2013 2:30:00 PM More reviews by jscott7196

I've had a love hate relationship with this foundation. Awhile ago I was in the market for a new foundation. I've heard great reviews on coverage and staying power so I decided to jump the gun and buy it without trying it first. I used it once and was not satisfied so I returned it. Ok fast forward to now. I got a sample at sephora and decided to use it to give it another chance and see how it holds up compared to my regular foundation (LM silk creme which I LOVE) well as good as it looked when it went on, it does cling to any dry patch and the foundation itself is a weird texture making it hard to blend (weird grainy mousse) I wore this foundation for about 9 hours with shine coming through after about 3 hours. It fades pretty bad and becomes a shiny blotchy mess. I would definitely have to say it's one of the worst in terms of staying power especially with the 12 hour claim. There's so many greater options for the money. If you're oily like me I suggest Laura mercier silk creme or MUFE mat velvet

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by paulardzj

I just LOVE this foundation... It makes my skin smooth and perfect... It is so so good! And it stays all day long!!! It is worth every penny!!! I just love this foundation so much!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by svang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I loved this product at first, so much that I even used it for my wedding! It has a very thick, creamy consistency, which is unlike any other foundation I have tried. It stays on for a good 8 hours, even without primer or setting spray, although it does start to set and look heavy after those 8 hours. I also don't have to blot with this foundation. The first time I used it, I broke out. I gave it another chance, and haven't broken out since then. I have tried it with both the brush and beautyblender, and I prefer the brush. You can definitely feel this foundation on your skin though, and I have a feeling that has something to do with the clay. The reason I no longer like it is because I discovered Tarte's Smooth Operator tinted moisturizer, which is lighter, and gives me a more natural finish. Since I still have a lot of this product left, I still use it occasionally, but I def prefer tarte's smooth operator.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2013 4:38:00 PM More reviews by Lipstickjunkie4

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i love this product! at first i thought i would hate it because i have oily skin and no product stays on my skin without getting oily but this stuff really works! i think i found a new HG foundation.. i REALLY love how this foundation works.. I think I will be returning my MAC matchmaster foundation..

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2013 4:44:00 PM More reviews by mayganade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Amazing. Like the best looking skin you can get! Not super duper full coverage but I can tell you you can get away with no concealor.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/20/2013 9:24:00 AM More reviews by zimme448

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I returned my Smashbox foundation because it was slightly too orange and I felt like it was starting to break me out. The SA at Sephora recommended Tarte for it's gentle formula but great coverage.

I was severely underwhelmed. It didn't have the same smooth coverage as the Smashbox. No problem- the SA said it was great for layering! One coat was already looking cakey and flaky- I didn't think piling on would improve that. Plus, it already felt heavy.

Less than an hour later, my face was burning. I washed off the Tarte and started to feel a little better, but a day later my skin is still a little sore.

If you try this, make sure to spot test for irritation. I wasn't a fan of the coverage or how it felt (heavy, burny,)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by marixox

Good makeup product for acne prone skin. It doesn't seem to break me out and keeps me less oily than other foundations. Although I like this foundation I find that it only looks decent with very moisturized skin. If your skin is dry it will just look cakey ! It also oxidizes a bit so be careful when choosing your shade. Also make sure you blend it well when applying. Use a brush. I find that it doesn't blend well using your fingers because it is a thick foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 11:09:00 AM More reviews by misanders

This is one of the best full coverage foundations I have found for dry skin. It is very comparable to Laura Mercier silk creme foundation. It stays on all day, works well with dry skin, and you can sheer it out or build it up. I found the big brush that comes with it did not work good with my skin. I like the beauty blender much better. The biggest problem is the color range. I have yellow undertones and have both the light/med sand and medium sand. Both are for warm undertones. But found the medium sand to be very peach. This is a problem I face with a lot of brands. The lightest and darker shades are yellow, but the medium shades turn peach. So I won't buy this again unless they fix that.

I wear CeraVe AM lotion under this, with Nars radiant loose powder on top, and spray with UD setting spray. This combo for my dry skin works great and makes it last all day.

**If you are matched to Nars sheer glow in Punjab, then the Med sand will probably work for you.

Edit- I finally found my shade! Medium-tan honey fits me perfectly. Like I said I have yellow undertones and this is peach but it works. I can also tell you that I'm not that tan, so I never thought to look at this color. So glad I found it, haven't used anything else the last month. Using a real technique buffing brush and the Nars loose translucent powder and this last all day. I get a little glow in the evening, but nothing bad. Love this!! Hate that it was so hard to find my shade.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2013 12:57:00 AM More reviews by ComplexChameleon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had high hopes for this foundation after seeing all the rave reviews from people with similar skin types (very oily, acne prone), but in the end it wasn't meant to be. Overall I would recommend this foundation to someone who has dry or normal skin and has no strong yellow undertones.

LIKES:
-applies really smoothly (I use fingers) and feels like you're wearing nothing at all (nothing at all!)
-natural finish that isn't too matte or too dewy
-a little goes a long way in terms of coverage
-you get a lot of foundation for the price

DISLIKES:
-I have really yellow undertones and was unable to find a yellow enough shade
-I do still get oily after a few hours, and I feel like my oiliness causes the foundation to transfer and break down/fade more easily

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No