September 23, 2014 | 1850 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by marixox

Good makeup product for acne prone skin. It doesn't seem to break me out and keeps me less oily than other foundations. Although I like this foundation I find that it only looks decent with very moisturized skin. If your skin is dry it will just look cakey ! It also oxidizes a bit so be careful when choosing your shade. Also make sure you blend it well when applying. Use a brush. I find that it doesn't blend well using your fingers because it is a thick foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 11:09:00 AM More reviews by misanders

This is one of the best full coverage foundations I have found for dry skin. It is very comparable to Laura Mercier silk creme foundation. It stays on all day, works well with dry skin, and you can sheer it out or build it up. I found the big brush that comes with it did not work good with my skin. I like the beauty blender much better. The biggest problem is the color range. I have yellow undertones and have both the light/med sand and medium sand. Both are for warm undertones. But found the medium sand to be very peach. This is a problem I face with a lot of brands. The lightest and darker shades are yellow, but the medium shades turn peach. So I won't buy this again unless they fix that.

I wear CeraVe AM lotion under this, with Nars radiant loose powder on top, and spray with UD setting spray. This combo for my dry skin works great and makes it last all day.

**If you are matched to Nars sheer glow in Punjab, then the Med sand will probably work for you.

Edit- I finally found my shade! Medium-tan honey fits me perfectly. Like I said I have yellow undertones and this is peach but it works. I can also tell you that I'm not that tan, so I never thought to look at this color. So glad I found it, haven't used anything else the last month. Using a real technique buffing brush and the Nars loose translucent powder and this last all day. I get a little glow in the evening, but nothing bad. Love this!! Hate that it was so hard to find my shade.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2013 12:57:00 AM More reviews by ComplexChameleon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had high hopes for this foundation after seeing all the rave reviews from people with similar skin types (very oily, acne prone), but in the end it wasn't meant to be. Overall I would recommend this foundation to someone who has dry or normal skin and has no strong yellow undertones.

LIKES:
-applies really smoothly (I use fingers) and feels like you're wearing nothing at all (nothing at all!)
-natural finish that isn't too matte or too dewy
-a little goes a long way in terms of coverage
-you get a lot of foundation for the price

DISLIKES:
-I have really yellow undertones and was unable to find a yellow enough shade
-I do still get oily after a few hours, and I feel like my oiliness causes the foundation to transfer and break down/fade more easily

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/4/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by laurencordina

I really wanted to like this foundation because I love a lot of Tarte's products. Unfortunately, this is the worst foundation I have ever used in my life. I have really bad acne marks and some blemishes here and there on my face- but overall I don't have an awful face filled with acne. This foundation made my skin look terrible. It sunk into my fine lines, pores, and every little premature wrinkle I never knew I had on my face! It is so thick and so cakey and even started cracking throughout the day. The worst part is along with it cracking, it drenched my skin in oil. I am SO glad Sephora has a great return policy because I returned it two days after I bought it. I would avoid this foundation and try something, ANYTHING, else!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2013 3:22:00 AM More reviews by beautylodown

Love this foundation! It is amazing. I even did a YouTube review and demo of it on my first impressions/thoughts etc. I'll link it :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 2:23:00 PM More reviews by Skeletonflight

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is amazing. I've heard so many good things about it, and I finally decided to get matched and use it. It. Is. Fabulous. Feels creamy, and a little goes a long way. It makes my skin look flawless. It doesn't make the acne that I sometimes get stick out like other foundations that I've used. The packaging is adorable and easy to get product out of. I haven't been breaking out, and this stays on all day. I use Nyxs Set it Dont Fret it mineral powder on top and its the perfect combination. I highly suggest you all try this, it is worth every penny.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Laoshu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Sigh. How I wanted to love this. I had come from using a foundation that didn't seem to last very long nor cover up as much as I wanted (I have redness around my nose and cheeks, large pores, acne and acne scars), so once I heard about this foundation I was interested immediately. I put some on my redness in the store and it seemed to cover up almost all of it immediately. I also left a swatch on my hand, which lasted all the way into the next day and took some serious scrubbing to get off. This plus the SPF element made me purchase it.

I applied it with my Sigma F80 and dusted lightly over it with mineral powder. It looked good for the first few hours of the day, but five hours into the first day and it's already caked like a mess - and I don't have dry skin. My acne looked redder and angrier than it did before I put on makeup that morning. My redness had seeped through, and it looked more irritated than it did before I had the foundation on. My pores had suddenly become super obvious. I continued to use it for a couple of weeks because I'd spent $40 on it already and had little money to buy new foundation with. But my experience stayed the same. Skin irritated like nobody's business. The acne I already had doubled. Finally I gave up. I bought Revlon ColorStay in a moment of broke desperation and so far I've been liking it.

Bottom line: did provide good coverage in the morning, but descended into a cakey mess soon after and accentuated all my flaws. Aggravated my acne. I should have checked to see if it was non-comedogenic, which it most certainly is not! I can see this working for someone else but it did not work for me.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2013 11:59:00 PM More reviews by Btheodore138

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this foundation for about a week and I've really been liking it so far. I needed something to cover up the broken capillaries around my nose, a few acne scars, and general redness and it does remarkably well. The first time I used it with a brush, I wasn't a fan. It just seemed to sit on top of my skin. When I used my fingers, though, it blended beautifully and the color Ivory matched my NW 10-15 skin PERFECT. I find that sweeping a luminous powder (like BareMinerals) on top makes it look that much better. I have dry skin but moisturize every night and exfoliate so it looks great on me, but if you have any sort of patchiness/flakiness it will stand out so be warned. Lastly, it doesn't last 12 hours, more like 6 now that it's summer time. We'll see if it holds longer during the winter. I'll will be buying it again until I run across something better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2013 7:22:00 PM More reviews by NatalieJ

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I was faithful to Bobbi Brown's foundation for over ten years, but with the recent changes in the line, had to look for something else I tried a lot of other foundations, and this almost made the cut. What I love best about BB is the color, and while I love the coverage and finish of this foundation, I can't get a good color match. I tried all three light-medium shades and none worked well. I thought I had a winner in light-medium sand because it was yellow toned, but it drained every bit of color out of my face. It does apply like a dream, and is fuller coverage than my previous foundation, and slower to have shine breakthrough. Ended up switching to Revlon Colorstay, which is magical stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by itakethissrsly

This is a pretty good foundation depending on what you're looking for, and an excellent value. I was looking for a product to replace Makeup Forever Matte + Velvet because Ulta doesn't carry Makeup Forever, and Sephora is inconvenient for me to get to.

The Amazonian Clay didn't exactly do the trick, but it has a lot going for it in its own right, The texture of this is really nice and creamy. There are a ton of shades, and it does seem to stay on for 12 hours. The finish, while definitely matte, isn't as dull looking as the MUFE. And the packaging is muccch better (despite the unnecessary wooden cap; this is make up not hot sauce.) I can also get away without using a primer with this, whereas the matte + velvet tended to settle into my pores a bit and sometimes get shiny if I didn't prime.

My problem is that this foundation is not full coverage. Compared to Matte + Velvet, it's not even buildable to full coverage. I have some purplish scaring on my chin, medium to bad under eye circles, and a bit of redness around my nose; and I cannot get away without concealer using this foundation whereas it wasn't entirely necessary with Matte + Velvet. Also, although they have many to choose from I never feel like I can get the shade quite right with this.

Overall, I would recommend this, but be aware that it's medium coverage at best and not very buildable.