Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Core Collection

4.5

on 10/8/2012 6:52:00 AM

This brush set is perfection. I had been eyeing this set for quite a while. The buffing brush and 109 dupe were too intriguing to pass up. Bought the set from iherb.com, and compared to my local drugstore that carries this for about 40 bucks (I live in Korea), so I got quite a good deal. I highly recommend the site for those living aboad!
A little break down of the brushes:
Buffing brush: Great for foundation. I have the Expert Face Brush from Samantha Chapman too and worried that it would basically be the same thing all over again, but it really isn't. This gives a less full-coverage and thus more natural finish. Also, the great thing about this brush is that it literally takes you 5 seconds to apply foundation. A great fuss free brush.
Contour brush: I had been excited about this one because a lot of people compared it to the Mac 109. Got to say though, it's really not anything like the 109 for me. It's more narrow and dome-shaped, so I don't think I'd actually use it for contouring. If you had a very small face, it might work. I don't. However, I love this for highlighting. It is amazing for highlighting!
Eyeliner brush: When I first got this set, I knew I wouldn't have a lot use out of this brush. Some people mentioned using it as a lip brush but I apply my lippy straight out of the tube. Ironically though, this has become my most used brush out of this collection. I use it to fill in my brows! It's great as it doesn't pick up too much product, and you can also be a little more precise when filling in your brows.
Foundation brush: I'm going to be honest and say I never use this. It's too small to use as a foundation brush, yet too big to use as a concealer brush. If you wear liquid highlighter, this might come in handy, but I honestly have no use for this brush.
All the brushes, like any other Samantha Chapman brush, have amazingly soft bristles. I have not experienced any shedding whatsoever with any of my brushes, even after 3 months of use. Even if you already have an extensive brush collection, or are a newbie to makeup, I definitely think this set is worth looking into!

on 9/26/2012 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This ENTIRE set is worth the purchase if not just for, the Buffing Brush. This brush is AMAZING at applying liquid foundation. The intention of this brush was originally for powder, mineral powder and things of that nature. However, this is perfect for liquid foundation. It works the product into your skin like a dream. A Dream, I tell you!
Like they say, it will leave you pixel perfect.

on 9/14/2012 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I looove these brushes! They work very well and the coverage is amazing.. The only thing is that i'm from Denmark, and therefore I had to pay dobble the price than some others would. I can only recommend these!

on 8/27/2012 3:20:00 PM

I'd heard about the Real Techniques brushes for a while as it seemed like every blogger on YouTube was raving about them but I was a bit reluctant to buy them as I was unsure of the quality. Still it seemed like everyone was praising the buffing brush and let's face it the pixiwoo sisters always seemed to have immaculate skin when they used it! Unfortunately the buffing brush only comes in the core collection which is a bit annoying but if you consider that most high end brushes cost around the 20 mark and you get four for that price it's definitely great value for money.

I use the buffing brush to really buff in my liquid foundation and I cannot describe the finish, it really does just look like second skin. It leaves you with a moderate coverage and prevents any cakey look.

The contour brush is also nice, it's small enough to really get into the hollows of my cheeks which I like although I prefer using this brush as a blush brush and the blush brush for contouring! I use the foundation and detailer brush for concealer and they both work well although the star of this collection has to be the buffing brush, I would definitely recommend this set just for that brush.

These brushes are also incredibly soft. They're synthetic which is great because it means you can use them with cream products as well as being cruelty free! Additionally they dry really quickly, I can wash them and leave them to dry overnight - brilliant!

on 8/2/2012 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

The brushes are super super soft taklon fibres. Dries very fast & I had no shedding of the fibres on my first wash. I don't like the stand/case that comes with it though, it's great as a stand, but too stiff as a carrier. The handles are light, and I presume it's made from aluminium.

My favourite is the contour brush, perfect size, fibre density & shape. It is so easy to blend with & it picks up just the right amount of product.
The buffing brush works well with everything, I love it with my mineral powder foundation, it's has the perfect amount of fibres to give stiffness to it without tugging the skin when you are using the brush to buff.
Foundation brush is very small compared to all my other paddle brushes, I've tried it with concealers, which works well, but I like it best has contouring brush for my nose.
I don't have much use for the lip brush though.
The price is very reasonable. I purchased this on Amazon for $17.99 since is marked up to $44 in Australia.

on 7/31/2012 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

A great pack for face make up, although the foundation brush is a bit too small for foundation (I use the RT stippling brush instead), so I use this for concealer instead, and it works a treat. The pack comes in a travel case which doubles as a stand, so it's very handy if you don't have a storage system for brushes, etc.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

These brushes are amazing, i would say better than any high end brushes. I brought mine from boots for 21.99 which if you think about it, isnt bad for a sat of 4 brushes! As most people have said before, the buffer brush is great for foundation, it really gives you an even coverage without making you look cakey. I actually like the small precision brush for concealer but i dont think i'll ever use the foundation brush seeing as the buffer brush works so well. Would deffo buy again.

on 7/7/2012 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I like these brushes a lot. the buffer brush and contour brush are perfect! i don't really like the pointed foundation brush...i don't find much of a purpose for it, i sometimes use it for concealer. The 4th brush is a very tiny detail brush which is almost never find any use for. But I still think this package is worth it just for those two brushes

on 7/1/2012 4:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This set is really good value for quality. Usually brush sets miss something you need, can be quite expensive and buying individual brushes to make a set is even more expensive but this one is really, really well thought out. The set is rather inexpensive compared to other similar ones and I think this is a definite marketing strength. If it was more expensive, I think people would just buy from a more expensive brand. First I thought that the brushes look a little small but I afterwards realised that the size is really good for detailed application and applying products evenly also to more difficult places (e.g. concealer in the inner corner of the eye). Also, the brushes are very soft and easy to clean.

Another major plus is the case. It's sturdy so it protects the brushes AND it has space for other brushes. Even though the set doesn't have a powder brush, you can easily add one of your own. The case fastens with velcro and the ends are open so even if you add more brushes to it, you can still close it without damaging your brushes. The case is good for travelling as it's sturdy, streamlined and fits into a small space but you'd have to put it into a bag as the ends are open. The only kind of useless thing about the case is the "display" function, which I kind of don't get as the bands holding the brushes are kind of tight (as they should) and the ends of the brushes have a matte, slightly rubbery coating so you can't really slip them out of the case easily. On the other hand, you can hang the case from the string or carry it should you have a need for that. If I ever recommend a brush set, this is the one, and I plan to get the eye make up set as well.

on 6/22/2012 3:50:00 PM

This is a good brush set.

I don't really use the Detailer Brush or the Pointed Foundation Brush, but the other two brushes are totally worth getting the whole set for.
The Contour Brush is really good for contouring (surprise, surprise), but I use it mostly to apply cream blush, cream and powder highlighter. It's small enough for a really precise application. It belnds powders and creams very nicely.
But my real love in this set is the Buffing Brush - it is simply amazing and can be used for so many things. I use it mostly to apply liquid, powder and cream foundations. It blends everything beautifully and makes the application easy and effortless. It can also be used to apply blusher or bronzer, or even setting powder.
All of the brushes are made of super soft sythetic bristles. The bigger one stand up and they all come in black case which is great for travelling.
I would definitely repurchase this set - the Buffing Brush alone is totally worth it. I do so wish it was sold separately though.

Video Reviews & Tutorials