October 26, 2014 | 1182 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2012 6:21:00 PM More reviews by eirenne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The Core Collection includes four beautiful brushes, the Detailer Brush, the Pointed Foundation brush, the Buffing Brush and the Contouring Brush.

Firstly I'm going to talk about the Detailer Brush which is a small brush intended for concealer. But it can also be used as a lip brush. I tend to use it as a lip brush because I think it's better to use my finger to conceal. As a lip brush it is great, it has good shape, softness and size.

Secondly, The Pointed Foundation Brush isn't what I expected of it, I felt a little let down. It's to small for my opinion. I've got a quite large face and it didn't suit me to do my foundation. But it is soft and I like the shape, I sometimes use it for my concealer around my nose because it's angled to get to those areas. So, this brush might suit someone else who might have a smaller face, with more details.

The Buffing Brush is my favorite in this collection! It's so soft and has the perfect shape. The bristles don't break because it just has softer hairs in the end. I absolutely love it. I use it to apply my powder. It can also be used with a mineral foundation.

The Contouring Brush is a lot like the Buffing Brush when you touch it, but the shape is different. It's slimmer and a bit longer. I think it's great to contour my face with it because the shape is perfect for it.

I hope this is helpful if you're interested in buying those brushes :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2012 12:47:00 PM More reviews by ManhattanMermaid

As a pro makeup artist, I have three sets of these! I seriously can't say enough good things about these brushes! The cost of around $18 for four high quality brushes is an awesome deal!

Buffing brush: I use this for applying liquid/cream foundation, powder foundation, blush, and setting powder. This creates a beautifully blended, seamless finish. The bristles are firm enough to move the product around, yet have enough give to be very gentle on the skin. So soft, feels like a dream.

Foundation brush: This is the flat brush. I find this too small for applying foundation, and personally like using buffer brushes for applying foundation anyway. What this IS great for is applying under eye concealer! Perfect size and shape to get right in there. Plus it's super soft and gentle on that sensitive area.

Contour brush: I LOVE this brush! I use it for both highlighting and contouring, as the small shape fits right into the hollows of the cheek, and the tip of the brush is perfect for hitting the high points of the face.

Detailer brush: This is my least favorite of the set, just because I find less use for it then the rest of the brushes in the set. But it IS a great brush. This can be used for concealing small areas like blemishes, eye shadow (particularly highlighting the inner corner of the eye), lip color, etc... I particularly like this bruush for blending out the concealer highlighter I put under my brows and down my nose. Like the rest of the brushes in the set, it is very soft.

I LOVE the fact that the ferrules are so high that they come up to about a quarter to the end of the brush. This makes washing them much easier, as you don't have to worry so much about getting water in the top of the ferrule, thus ruining you brush (you still have to keep the bristles pointed down under the stream of water though).

The flat shape of the end of the brushes doesn't really bother me on a personal level, but on a professional level, I'd rather have a tapered, less bulky brush handle so that I can fit more brushes into my belt. These take up a LOT of room. I feel no need to set them standing upright in any situation.

I find no use for the case the brushes came in. At home I put my brushes in a cup, and my pro brushes are kept in my belt. Even for travelling, I would use something else that holds ALL the brushes I want to take with me. The little elastic holders on the case are too tight to really fit the flat ends of the brushes into. I find this holder an unneeded part of the set. Maybe if it had a better design, I could see it as a useful tool.

All in all, these are EXCELLENT brushes, and I highly recommend them for personal and professional use.

EDIT: 5/9/13
These stand the test of time for professional use. They have withstood a multitude of makeup applications and rigorous washing's without excessive shedding or falling apart! I HIGHLY recommend these. My only qualm is the large end of the handles. I wish they were smaller or tapered so that I could fit more into my brush belt.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2012 8:17:00 AM More reviews by pimenta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got this set a while ago and I'm loving the brushes, the price is quite good and apart from the pointed brush, that I never found a use for, I've been using all the others on a daily base.
My favorite is the contour brush, I use it to apply blush, either powder or cream, and it's perfect for me because I have tiny cheeks and most blush brushes are just to big for me or only work with powders but not this one which is great for any type of blush.
I'm also using the buffing brush daily to apply my mineral foundation and the detailer brush to apply cream eyeshadow.
All the brushes are very soft, a pleasure to work with and very easy to clean.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by MIJA_97

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am getting another set of these I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE them specially love the buffing brush that is my all time favorite foundation brush hands down....i apply my NARS sheer foundation with this brush and it gives me a flawless look I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE it!!!! I highly recommend it...

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2011 7:46:00 PM More reviews by kocoannie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Overall this set of brushes is pretty awesome!

Detailer Brush - it's intended use for concealer is ok, I actually use it for lipstick application and sometimes smudging out eyeliner.

Pointed Foundation Brush - It's a little time consuming & tricky getting a perfect application of foundation. I only use this for parts of applying foundation, mostly under the eye and to get around the nose. It is very handy though for applying concealer under the eye.

Buffing Brush - This is a multipurpose brush for flawless application of mineral powder and liquid foundation. It's also really great for creating a very natural blushed cheek powder or liquid.

Contour brush - Great for precision in applying bronzer or blush to your cheeks. I have sometimes used it for spot powdering my face.

All brushes are synthetic and are super easy to spot clean. They all hold any product nicely and you can use all brushes for powder or liquid. Even though I'm not using all the brushes for their intended use I am super stoked that I have found other uses for them!

The case that these brushes come in is very versatile! It's also great for protecting your brushes for travelling and super awesome for drying your brushes as well after a deep clean!

I love that these are affordable, available online for international buyers and that the creator has tutorials on all of the brushes - which is hugely assuring and encouraging!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by vesperholly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Fantastic, very unique set! This is unlike any other brush set I've seen. Most have the standard powder, blush, concealer, eyeshadow and maybe liner. But after you've bought a few kits, who needs another "meh" eyeshadow brush?? This set is different because it fills in the gaps that other sets have left.

The concealer brush is extra tiny and is great for spot concealing. It's also short enough to sneak into a little makeup bag. The flat foundation brush is a little bit of an odd duck, but it's good for undereye concealing and blending foundation around the nose. The contour brush is really the star of the set, it's such an original size and shape. Great for contour, highlight, and cream blush. The buffer brush is fine, not a standout, but is good for blending blush/bronzer or spot powder application. It's a nice backup when my Sephora 45 mineral powder brush is dirty/drying. It's not very densely packed for a powder brush. The "brush holder" is a complete throw-away, not very good quality and a waste. Very weird and I hope it gets ditched on future revisions.

The price point is the best part - only $16! $4 a brush, and you can use Ulta coupons on it?! Can't beat it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 8:43:00 AM More reviews by HappyHooker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This set is worth it for the buffing brush alone. I regularly use the buffing brush, detail brush and contour (highlight) brush. Only the foundation brush (more like concealer IMO) gets little use. There is nothing wrong with it I just happen to own other brushes that are better suited to my needs. All in all a fantastic set for the price! A hit.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 3:28:00 AM More reviews by angelixia07

What an excellent set of brushes, I would say some of the best I've bought in the last few years and I usually enjoy Mac ones. All the brushes are made of this extraordinarily soft and fine taklon bristles, which are of course synthetic. I find the buffing brush to be excellent for buffing in both mineral and liquid foundation. I am prone to having spots of dry skin and my previous buffing brush sometimes would bring that up and make it look more obvious, but this buffing brush is so soft and fine that it just blends the powder/liquid in so well while minimally disrupting the dry skin underneath, giving a very nice finish.

The next most useful brush is the contour brush. The size of the brush is excellent, not to big or small to get into the contour of the cheeks and the jawline. It makes for precise yet natural contouring but it would take a bit more time than say a slightly larger brush, which I am on the hunt for. A larger brush would be good for days that I am lazy and want a bigger splay of contouring in the back of the cheeks but this RT one is best, due to its size, for a slightly more precise contouring.

At first, I hardly found use for the detailing brush but now I hardly want to be without it. It is very small, soft and pointed and perfect for smudging out eyeliner. I use it to smudge out my Mac Fluidline as well as other pencil liners. The softness means that it hardly drags on the eyelids, which I found really surprising since the various smudgers I used to use always dragged more than this one. Also, I sometimes use it to put on brow powder when I want a softer finish than with my Mac angle brush, the larger one. I would suspect that this would be perfect for spot concealing but I hardly ever do that so I mostly use it for smudging.

The only brush I have absolutely no use for is the pointed foundation brush. It is way too small for me to ever want to use it for foundation and on top of that, I've never liked putting on foundation with a flat brush of that sort. I have used it for undereye concealing with good result, but nothing I couldn't do with my fingers.

Three out of four definitely is not bad considering that with most brush sets, there are bound to be brushes that I won't use. I am just very pleased with the quality of the three that I do enjoy. I think the design is quite good as well although I wish they didn't make the handles so thick especially on the larger brushes, since it takes up more room in the glass jar where I keep them upright. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2011 12:39:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

Since it is not availble in Canada nor US. mail order I had to order from UK.
I absoslutely love the buffing & highlight brush, the man-made fibers are not overly dense, honestly I've tried some brushes that are so dense & that lose the "brush" quality, I might as well use a sponge to stipple. The white-tip also enables me to see how much product I've picked up.
The highlight brush is like a small version of Nars Yachiyo.
The paddle fdn brush: don't care much for it.
Finally the littlest one is a bit too stiff for concealer but is good to pick up eye-shadow or brow powder for shaping brows.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2011 2:11:00 PM More reviews by sushiiflower

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this set so much. I am thinking of purchasing a 2nd set. The hair is made of soft taklon. It applies incredibly well and works with all kinds of products, wet & dry. My favorite brush is the buffer brush. I have not come across anything that operates like this (or shaped like this!). In fact, I think all of these brushes are pretty unique. At first glance, these brushes don't seem like anything special. I honestly thought they were gimmicky. I picked them up anyway because I needed travel brushes. Plus, I wanted to see all the hoopla surrounding these. There were so many mixed reviews, either people loved it or hated it!

The foundation brush is small and compact and gets right into the nook and crannies of your face. It works with my MAC Studio Fix powder as well as any liquid foundations. The small detail brush is perfect for concealment of blemishes because it moves around the areas seamlessly. It also has a nice pointed tip for detailing. The contour blush has a small pointed round head that can double has a blush or highlight brush. I have used it for both. I think this would make an amazing foundation brush because it can get into small areas with the tip but because it has a rounded head, it can buff out foundation. And of course, my personal fav, the buffer brush. I use it this for everything! But especially for every day powder application.

I will definitely be picking up a second set of these brushes because I use them constantly. I originally paid $14 for the set at Ulta, but I see they have since raised the price to $17. For four brushes, that is still not bad at all! They have flat bases so you can stand them up, but the handles have a rubber grip that allow you to easily control the application. The color choice (orange) is eh, okay, not a color I would have chosen but it's not horrible. The travel case is nice and useful, though I wish it contained more slots to pack other brushes with it. It has a nice stand up feature which I appreciate. Overall, this is an excellent quality set and definitely rivals my high end brush collection. And picking up a second set is definitely a testament to the quality of these brushes. It's a great starter set and I am sure you will not have anything shaped like these in your collection, especially if you have an extensive one like mine!