Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Core Collection

4.5

on 6/22/2012 3:50:00 PM

This is a good brush set.

I don't really use the Detailer Brush or the Pointed Foundation Brush, but the other two brushes are totally worth getting the whole set for.
The Contour Brush is really good for contouring (surprise, surprise), but I use it mostly to apply cream blush, cream and powder highlighter. It's small enough for a really precise application. It belnds powders and creams very nicely.
But my real love in this set is the Buffing Brush - it is simply amazing and can be used for so many things. I use it mostly to apply liquid, powder and cream foundations. It blends everything beautifully and makes the application easy and effortless. It can also be used to apply blusher or bronzer, or even setting powder.
All of the brushes are made of super soft sythetic bristles. The bigger one stand up and they all come in black case which is great for travelling.
I would definitely repurchase this set - the Buffing Brush alone is totally worth it. I do so wish it was sold separately though.

on 6/19/2012 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Great brushes! I've been a fan of the sisters' YouTube videos for years and at first, didn't like the look of these brushes. Especially, since they look cheap compared to the MAC and Louise Young brushes Sam always used in her tutorials. Anyway, after my son cut the top off my Nars powder brush I was distraught and found these brushes at my local Ulta. I bought them and they work great! Soft and beautiful and they apply powders like a dream! I use the two larger ones for my finishing powder and bronzer. The narrow foundation brush I use mostly for liquid foundations, cream blush and highlighters. The small one I use for concealers mostly. And I love the travel case. Just used it on a trip to San Francisco and it was great for transporting the brushes and standing them up on the vanity of my hotel room! Great quality and I plan to buy more Real Techniques brushes.

on 6/13/2012 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This brush set is really a good investment if you want multiple brushes to work on different ways of application and get customised coverage.
Here's a little breakdown of what I think about each brush:

Buffing brush: Definitely the star of this brush set! Provides airbrushed and flawless finish for foundation. I actually prefer to stipple my foundation on with this brush instead of buffing it. I feel that stippling it on with this brush would spread the product more evenly then lightly buff it to blend. And it's really easy to clean.

Contour brush: Also another favorite of mine. I guess you can use this for foundation and application of base products. I use what it's meant for, contouring and some light blushing. I usually sweep on matte contouring powder along my hollows with this brush everyday, and a light touch of blush with the same brush. It blends the powders seamlessly and beautifully. Perhaps I will try this brush out with foundation application

Pointed Foundation Brush: I know everyone hates this brush, but I don't really mind the size because I have an idea on how to work on it. No, I don't use it to apply full face foundation because the brush size is ridiculously small to cover my face. I prefer my Essence of Beauty foundation brush for that. I use this brush mainly to build on coverage on the spots that the regular buffing brush misses, or for spot treating areas that need coverage. I also use this brush to blend out concealers because it is just slightly bigger than the regular concealer brushes so making it effortless to blend.

Detailer brush: The more versatile brush in this set. I don't really use it because I rarely use lip brushes or to use it as a concealer brush. I prefer my Ecotools concealer brush to apply concealer, but for really tiny spots, I will use this that the regular concealer brush misses. This brush is much better for defining your lips and applying lip products.

Overall, I like the brush set but not gonna repurchase because I think this is enough. Unless the brushes wear out.

on 6/8/2012 3:00:00 AM

These brushes are as amazing as samantha chapman. They apply everything beautifully, are super soft, the quality is to die for, they look gorgeous, and the price made me feel like I was stealing. I've had them for about 8 months and have yet to see a single hair fall out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I bought this mainly for the buffing brush after hearing rave reviews and I wasn't disappointed. I use it with laura mercier mineral powder and it gives a wonderful finish. Its my go-to face brush now. I also love the contouring brush. Its the perfect size and shape. All the brushes are super soft and stay that way even after lots of washes. I use the foundation brush for concealer and the detailer brush just to tidy up any mistakes, but I get much more use out of the first 2 brushes.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Another set where I had to buy the whole lot so I could get my hand on only two of the brushes. The foundation brush is only made for people with Barbie sized faces I take it - its so small! Better used for concealer, which I don't btw.
I love the buffing brush - I actually now use it for bronzer since I got the Face Expert brush. And the contour brush is ruddy brilliant! They are the only two brushes I use from this collection.

Again, the stand/case.......no use for. And I wish the handles weren't so chunky - I had to buy another pot to put them in!

Still, hats off to Sam Chapman for coming up with these, as its about time brushes were more budget concious!

on 5/4/2012 8:48:00 PM

My HG make up brushes! super soft, easy to clean. I am using the buffing brush everyday for my foundation. It blend like a dream, gives me almost airblush finish. I picked up all these brushes from Ulta, After I tried this set, I went back and brought all other brushes. There are few not avilable in the store. I will purchase them online from Ulta for sure!

on 5/4/2012 8:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I received this set two days ago and used it once. Surprisingly i loved it. I was extremely undecided about this set, as such is the last brushes I ordered of RT that I wanted. I was very impressed after the first use. Quite surprised the buffing brush worked this well with my BB cream. Spread evenly and quickly without tugging my skin. The bristles are the softest of synthetic brushes, they feel in between Sigma's F80 flat top/RT expert face brush (extremely dense, despite works well, I feel tugs and pulls my skin alittle) and duo fibre brushes (even more light and gentle, works very well too). I was comparing this brush with RT multi tasker brush from the travel set. I thought it was really similar but... this brush is slightly denser. Good for liquid foundation, and even for thicker consistency like the bb cream. I believe this would be good for powder foundation to buff into your skin. The multitasker has a rounder shape is good for setting powder and powder blush. I tried to use it with my BB cream, its a fail as its not dense enough and took alot of work trying to spread it out. In the end i gave up and switch brush. In my opinion they are very different.

I loved the contour brush for cream blush (I am a cream blush lover). Just the right size, not too big, so better control. Loved the rounded, tapered shape of the bristles.

The foundation brush i used with my collection 2000 concealer. Quite liked it. This is different from RT travel set's foundation brush. The latter is denser, the former is much less dense and more flexible. I prefer this one. The pointed bristles makes reaching corners easier. I don't like flat foundation/concealer brushes, always prefer to apply concealer with my fingers.

Haven't tried the detailer brush, don't think I have use for this but who knows.

on 4/30/2012 12:13:00 PM

Love these brushes,especially buffing and contour brushes. They feel so soft and buffing in liquid foundation with the Buffing Brush leaves my skin looking flawless. I use the foundation brush more for use with concealer. The pointy end is good for around the nose, and its flat so good for under the eye concealing too. The detail brush is good for spot concealing or could be used as a lip brush. I love them and am very happy with the price, quality and the finish they give me.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I like this brushes alot, I haven't been able to put them down since I got them. My favorite are The Contouring and the Buffing Brushes.
the Pointed Foundation Brush is too small for foundation application and to stiff in my opinion for concealer. The Detail Brush I use for eyeshadow detailing. I wish they sold each brush separately and I would definetly buy back ups for my favorite brushes. Overall these brushes are super soft and dense and do create a flawless application. I would reccomend these to a friend.

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products