October 25, 2014 | 934 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Blending Sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2008 12:21:00 PM More reviews by boobrandt

I LOVE this thing! I was such a skeptic when I saw it and read about it. I mean, haven't we all tried foundation brushes, skunk brushes, fingers, and sponges in numerous shapes? Well, I finally caved (due to a need for retail therapy) and I cannot believe how well it works! Sometimes I use it dry but normally just a tiny bit damp. It's great for cream blush too. The only drawback is cleaning it. Seems like the foundation stains the sponge, but that's a small price to pay for a fantastic application!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2008 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Zevie

I wanted to try the beauty blender sponge for awhile now but couldn't bring my poor-college-student self to skip meals for a week to afford it. When I saw the SK knockoff, I snatched it up. I haven't tried the beauty blender, so I can't really compare the two, but I've been more than pleased with the SK.

I have fairly good skin. I have a few old acne scars, a few large pores, and I'm quite oily. I like to use sheer foundations just to even my skin out a bit. I don't feel I need that much coverage. Tinted moisturizers are out of the question for my oily skin, so I typically apply a light foundation with a damp sponge to achieve the sheer coverage I like. This sponge is great for that. It's much more porous than the cheap ol' wedge sponges I normally buy. I just run the blue sponge under the water for a second, squeeze it out, and it's perfect. I typically wait a few minutes before using it, so it dries out a little more. Then I dot my foundation on my skin (I find this works better than dipping the sponge in the liquid) and then blend and dot the foundation into my skin. I get perfect coverage in about ten seconds....it's seriously much quicker than a regular sponge and ten times quicker than a foundation brush (which take forever, IMO.) After I apply the foundation, I wait about a minute and let it set/dry on my skin for a second. The extra water in the sponge makes me look very dewy for a second, but after a minute, it settles and looks perfect.

The shape of the sponge is great for around the nose and under the eye area. It's also easy to stipple (is that the word?) your foundation on in areas that need a bit more coverage.

This sponge is also amazing for cream blushes. I've never had any cream blush look so smooth and natural than with this sponge. I highly recommend for cream blushes. I also use this with my highlighting powder. I use the flat bottom of the sponge, pick up some powder, and apply it. It makes the powder just sink into my skin and just glow. If you like to apply any kind of powder makeup with a damp sponge, try this.

The sponge also works well for picking up eyeshadow fallout under your eyes. I always get some powder on me and I just dab the sponge over the excess powder and it picks it right up! No marks left on my face.

I do have a few complaints about the sponge though. First of all, it doesn't make me look airbrushed or perfect. It gives me nice sheer coverage that looks natural and glowy. It's really nice for that. However, I've been able to get the same look from a foundation brush, although that did make much longer. My point is that there are plenty of other tools that can do the same. So if you already have a good foundation brush, I don't think this is really all that necessary. My other complaint is that it soaks up way too much foundation. Instead of one pump of my foundation, I need to use between one and a half and two. I'm just using drugstore foundation, but if I were using a very expensive higher end foundation, I imagine I'd be pretty mad about this. It soaks up less if you dot your foundation on your face, then blend rather than dotting the sponge in the foundation then putting on your face.

I've only been using this sponge for about a month, so I can't comment on how well it lasts. I also can't comment on how well it does with medium to full coverage foundations since I don't use those. However, I do recommend this sponge to anyone that wants light natural coverage or anyone who regularly uses cream blushes. continued >>

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2008 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Mlalak

Ok, aside from the cleaning issues, this sponge does what it says it will do! Just follow the directions given in the other reviews, and voila! perfect foundation, glowy natural skin)- I would like to add though, that this sponge is a wonderful tool for blending in concealers- especially under eye concealer because it blends it perfectly- avoids the fine line look- and it is super gentle- you don't have to worry that your are being too rough with the delicate undereye area.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2008 8:34:00 PM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love my little blue peep! This makes basically any foundation go on so nicely. I saturate it in water and then give it about a squeeze and a half and dot the foundation on the back of my hand and sort of rub the sponge on it and kind of bounce it onto my face. I get the perfect sheer application. No caking, no streaks and it always blends like a dream. This is so good I don't mind playing 10 bucks for a sponge...and the alternative is twice as expensive. A total gem!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2008 12:06:00 AM More reviews by gooddisaster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was just getting ready to replace my old BB when I caught a glimpse of a post mentioning the Sonia Kashuk version. I went right out and bought it instead of ordering another BB.

So, what are the differences between the two? Aside from price (roughly $20 for the BB and $10 for SK) and color (irrelevant, but I hate pink with a fiery passion), the SK sponge is larger and clearly a different shape. The BeautyBlender looks like a pointy egg while the SK sponge looks like a pointy version of the diastrous result of my first attempt on a pottery wheel. Rather than being rounded all over, it's contoured for gripping and has a nice, broad base. Upon opening it, I immediately noticed the SK sponge felt dense compared to the BB. It softened considerably after wetting it for the first time yet still feels more substantial than the BB. I'm not positive, but because of it's density, I think it's absorbing less foundation and is therefore easier to clean than the BB. I'm also thinking it may last longer as well. The packaging isn't quite as functional, but I can let that slide.

Usage and application have been more or less identical: wet the sponge and squeeze under water to saturate, squeeze out excess water until slightly damp, roll in makeup, bounce on skin. I suggest not dipping either sponge into a puddle of liquid foundation--you'll just end up pushing it into the sponge when it picks it up and again when you apply. Just use a little at a time. I lightly roll mine across the foundation so it just covers the surface of the sponge. Anyway, I like that this sponge has a large dome-shaped base. (To me the "no edges" feature of the BB is moot. The sponge might not have edges, but you can roll it all over your face as much as you want however you'll still get an "edge" the second you lift it off.) I can apply foundation much quicker than I can with the BB. The larger size doesn't make it cumbersome. After all, it does still have a small tip on the other end, and I haven't had problems working it into tight areas. I've never used either sponge dry or with any type of powder makeup, but they both work well with creams and liquids.

I've been cleaning mine with Ivory liquid hand soap. I just use a small amount, work it into the sponge, squeeze and rinse until the water runs clean. It doesn't get too sudsy, and so far it's even been removing all visible traces of foundation on the sponge. Thankfully I haven't had any skin issues while cleaning it this way. (I do have *very* sensitive dry skin, so much so that I rely on only Ponds wipes, water and an ultra soft wash cloth to clean my face because I've never found a facial cleanser that hasn't irritated my skin.)

At half the price for the same flawless results but in less time, I'm picking the SK sponge over BeautyBlender.

33 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 8:09:00 PM More reviews by LouiseHourihan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is HG status for me. It has breathed new life into foundations that were just so-so on me before (Revlon ColorStay, I'm looking at you). My foundation now goes on so smooth and sheer, but still gives great coverage. I don't even know how that happens, I'm just happy it does! I have had a little bit of staining on mine, but I'm experimenting with different cleansers to see which one works the best for this. I've had no problems with mine losing shape or the firmness changing. When it is thoroughly saturated though it will get mushier and bigger, but it goes back to normal once it's dry. I think this little gem (I call mine blueberry) might have converted me back to liquid foundation.
*****EDIT****
I have not been able to clean this very well at all, and all the constant squeezing and rubbing trying to get my foundation to wash out of it has done quite a bit of damage. There are already chunks coming off of it and I've only had it for a couple of weeks :( I had to take off a couple of stars for that since there is no cleaner you can buy that is for it specifically (to the best of my knowledge), and there are no cleaning instructions on the package. Be warned, considering how short its life is, it might actually be a better deal to buy the beauty blender if it lasts longer. What a shame. Oh and if you're looking for a way to dry it easily: I took the candle out of a tealight so I was just left with the aluminum cup, and I sit it on that to dry. It's dirt cheap, easily replaced, the perfect size, and the sponge doesn't touch anything while it's drying.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2008 4:27:00 PM More reviews by baileybabe7486

This is fantastic, paired with my new HG foundation, Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Your Skin (that's a mouthful) I have gorgeous skin for the first time ever.

Like everyone else I use it wet, and I use the round part at the bottom to sponge/buff on my makeup, then the point at the top for inner eyes/nose etc. Worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2008 12:21:00 AM More reviews by amoeji

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This sponge is fantastic for applying makeup to give you a natural, beautiful bare-skin look. It's pricey considering it is just a sponge that needs to be replaced regularly, and it will "eat" up some of your foundation. However, I found that the key to this sponge is to make sure it is fully saturated. It takes awhile for it to fully saturate, so you can't just run it under the faucet for a few seconds and expect to rock 'n roll. You've got to hold it under the faucet for a while and wring it out a few times so that the sponge becomes thoroughly saturated all the way to the core. It will double in size and have a much more marshmallow-y appearance. Then you wring it out and wrap it in a towel and wring it out one last time and then use it.

I typically don't use this to apply concealer to my dark under eye circles because it honestly does a mediocre job at best. I'll apply concealer with my fingers first and then use the sponge to tap it smooth if it looks a bit rough. Then, I use the broad bottom of the sponge to apply foundation by bouncing the brush on my skin. I'll start heavy in the middle of a cheek and blend the foundation out towards the edges and then repeat the process with my other cheek, forehead, chin and nose. The pointed edge is really great for blending around the nose and applying concealer on blemishes (the only time this sponge works with concealer). Also, you've got to kind of work the foundation quickly with the sponge, bouncing the sponge quickly all over, so it spreads the foundation.

It's kind of a lot to do, but I think the results are really worth the effort and through experimentation, you'll quickly learn how best to use the sponge. It's really great for applying cream blush to your cheeks and for toning down harsh makeup. I don't think I'd ever use this sponge dry because it really sucks dry, it literally sucks up all the moisture. I was it with really cheap gentle face wash and it gets all the stains out. I normally rinse it a few times with water first to get as much as I can out that way, and then I add cleanser, otherwise you waste a ton of cleanser trying to clean it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2008 4:58:00 PM More reviews by nabaztag

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My mom, who never wears makeup, asked me today if I had been seeing a dermatologist, she said my skin looked, quote "flawless". !!!!! That's quite a complement from her. Amazing little thing, tried it out today for the first time. I used it after getting it soaking wet and squeezing the water out, then dabbing into foundation. It did soak up some of the foundation, so if I continue using it, I'll probably be going through foundation a bit faster, but the effect is as close to natural as I've ever gotten. It's $10 at Target, I wish it had cost closer to $5, b/c I don't know how long it'll hold up or if the cost of having to purchase foundation more often will be a breaking point.
I washed it with Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming wash (blue bottle), so it cleaned up pretty easily. I'll try cleaning it with eye makeup remover next time and see if that changes the sponge at all. I haven't tried the Beauty Blender version of this, but pretty happy with it overall.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2008 3:42:00 PM More reviews by hellobrittany

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this thing! I use it by getting in completely wet and the squeezing out the excess water. I tap it on foundation on the back of my hand and then tap-a-tap-tap again on my face, and it's a beautiful thing. At first is seems a bit streaky and shiny because the sponge and foundation are wet, but once they set it offers fantastic coverage that fills my pores but doesn't cake or crease. The point is great for going over blemishes and getting in the crevices next to your nose. Plus, it's adorable.

I have only two qualms, and small ones at that: I still haven't exactly figured out how to wash it best, and I wish it came with a case. I've been using shampoo to clean it, and it takes a long time to get all the lather out- I think I'll try it next with Cetaphil.

For less than $10, I'd say this is a worthwhile investment. I really feel that it makes mediocre foundation way better, so it somewhat pays for itself. Or at least that's how I justify more products.