Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

im currently a c4 w/ strong yellow undertones in mac and im a 140.....this also worked for me when i was a c5...gives good coverage.....takes out most imperfections..love using this with a damp beauty blender....is it the my hg? no...shu still tops the list for me..but this foundation will still go on rotation

on 12/6/2009 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I accidently purchased this thinking it was a different HD foundation, but so far I like it. However, I am kind of scared by all of the reviews on here saying things about breaking out because I have acne prone skin. As of right now, I like it. Coverage is good, texture is hard to explain but I like it compared to other liquid foundations I've tried in the past. My color is 135 and it matches/blends into my skin really well. I only put a little on my face, brush on some organic mineral makeup (afterglow cosmetics) and received compliments on my skin. I have only used this product for 2 days, so I will update this if I break out or my thoughts change about the foundation.

on 12/6/2009 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have dark acne scars and it's tough for me to find a decent foundation that will cover them. This one works pretty well, looks great for a loooong time with the powder! It is a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. A little goes a long way! I have not tried MAC yet, which i may do once my bottle runs out. But I will definitely go back to this if it doesn't work out as well.

on 12/5/2009 4:29:00 PM

I was pretty happy I found a good shade for my skin (after ditching Dior and wanting to explore other brands). I was curious what the hype about the HD was all about, and Sephora was doing a lesson about HD products, and naturally MUFE caught my attention.

Don't let the first weeks fool you! If you have sensitive skin, you will NOT see the real results of the makeup until the third or fourth week of using it. I have sensitive and combination skin so I feel the effects to a product very well. The second week into it, I started getting small bumps under the skin, and thought nothing of it because it must be my skin adjusting to it. The horror started a week later when I started to break out and it wasn't even on TOM so I ruled out hormonal changes as a reason. "HD" stands for HORRIBLY DREADFUL. I have never gotten this kind of break out before, it was large under-the-skin cysts. It happened more than once and these things would not go away for weeks. I have more scars thanks to this foundation, and I have never experienced this kind of skin reaction before. I've been wearing foundation for almost 10+ years and this is the worst foundation has ever done on my skin and I must warn you all to be aware of the severe consequences.

I blame the talc because this is the first foundation I've used that contains such an ingredient. The primer does little to nothing and I found more use from translucent powder to control the shine. Nonetheless, I still like MUFE and now switched back to MAT Velvet foundation. It has no talc, and also has less shine than HD foundation which made me a grease pit 5 hours later that I easily wasted 2 or 3 oil blotting sheets. I only have to use one sparingly for the MAT velvet. If you tend to have oily or combination skin, SKIP THIS. You'll save your money and your skin. It takes way too many pumps from this foundation to give a decent cover up. It takes me only one and a half pump from MAT Velvet compared to 2 1/2 pumps from HD foundation to created a decent coverage.

EDIT: Only two days after I stopped using HD foundation, my breakouts visibly reduced and no more cysts!!! This is definitely the culprit to blame. What a losing investment. You can still achieve a similar HD look with other foundations. I find using the HD brush with MAT velvet works just the same.

on 12/5/2009 1:25:00 PM

A friend of mine recommended this foundation to me after I complained about the fact that my then-foundation didn't stay on my quite oily skin, even after powdering it. I was bewildered by the big choice of colors, and since I have a really fair skin, I was happy to find a color that really reflected my skin tone. The product has a quite creamy texture, doesn't dehydrate the fragile skin of my cheeks and is easy to blend on the face with a brush. The result is even more perfect with the HD powder that goes with it.

On a less positive note, the packaging, even if the look is really "professional", isn't what I would call practical: it is hard to control, using the pomp, the quantity of product that gets out of the tube. Also, it is a bit pricey.

In general, I am really satisfied and will buy this product again :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this for almost a year so I can give it a good review now. I wear HD 120 - for reference, it's perfect for those who wear MAC NC25. I'm NC30 in the summer and I wear HD 127 during that time. The best way for ME to apply this I've found is with my 187 (I've tried fingers, sponges, & 109). Some reviews say that it looks cakey but that's probably because people aren't applying it correctly. I'm not saying there's one right way to apply it, but keep trying different ways of application and I promise you'll find one that works for you. At first I didn't like it, but once I learned how to work with it, it is HEAVEN! So give it some patience. Took me a couple of times to figure it out.

PROS: It definitely has some yellow undertones but not overpowering like MAC. It's nice for an Asian girl like me with lots of yellow undertones in my skin + it helps neutralize redness. :) Coverage is buildable, yet it still remains (looks and feels) very light on the skin. I have pitted acne scars, redness, and hyperpigmentation from past acne. This foundation covers ALL of it. Plus, I LOVE the finish. It's kinda dewy but doesn't look shiny/oily. I guess you can say it adds a really nice glow to your face. Plus, it doesn't make me break out which is a miracle as almost every foundation besides this one and Revlon's ColorStay has made me break out. The packaging is great! Plus, I really like the scent...not too strong and it doesn't smell makeup-y.

CONS: The only bad thing would probably have to be that the staying power isn't so great. You have to either use a really good primer or a really great setting powder (check my other reviews for some good ones). With both of those, you can expect the staying power to last for a good 8-10 hours. I have combo skin for reference. The other one would be price...however, you use so little that it lasts for over half a year. The average person will use 2 pumps per time. I use about 2.5-3 pumps each time because I need more coverage...but it never really looks cakey. :) Perfect and I absolutely LOOOVEEE this stuff. :D

on 12/4/2009 12:57:00 PM

I wrote a review on this product several weeks ago. I recently went to edit my review with an update and I accidently deleted it instead! Oh well I will recreate my review and add my updated thoughts.
My original rating of this product remains (3 lippies). This is a decent foundation but I could just never make it work on my skin. I think maybe the formula is too heavy for my dryish skin. An mua'er very kindly pm'd me and suggested I try applying with my fingers, buffing with a brush and spritzing with fix plus spray. I tried this and although that application method was certainly an improvement over just applying with a brush as I had previously been doing, the foundation still looked obvious on my skin. I just don't like the finish of this foundation. It always looks like makeup, no matter what I do.
Overall, this isn't a bad product. I didn't cause me to breakout, it comes in a wide range of colors, and really a lot of people love it. I don't think it is a bad product, it's just not right for me. Good luck!

on 12/4/2009 8:59:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

It is expensive but I love the product. I rather pay up for a good product. As a foundation I think it is great because it is versatile. I believe this is for combination to oily skin which I have, but lately I have been getting dry skin as well. When I mix it with my moisturizer, the problem is solved. It mixes well with my moisturizer and still lasts all day. The liquid is not too thick or too thin. If you mix it with your moisturizer and you want more coverage, you will have to build the foundation since the moisturizer will thin it out.

on 12/4/2009 7:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

So I finally found a foundation that was a perfect match to my skin color- not too dark but doesnt give me that "mask" look when I take pictures.

The problem is that this products looks greasy after a while. I guess my skin does not like the ingredient that makes the skin look dewy because on me it makes me look like a grease ball. I even tried it when my oil blotting powder which helped for a few hours but then its back to looking like I put baby oil on my face instead of foundation. I don't think I can make it work and honestly I shouldn't have to try to considering it is 40 bucks.

on 12/4/2009 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

i just received this product today and since this product is unavailable in sydney, australia i had to order it over the net and guess my colour anyways the colour is totally wrong on my skin it made me look orange but then i applied it to my mums skin and it looked absoloutely perfect, it was so easy to belnd and made her skin look flawless, so i do recomend this product but you have to get the exact colour for your skin tone.

Video Reviews & Tutorials