September 22, 2014 | 1895 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 8/10/2009 11:13:00 AM More reviews by 0ubliette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

this product is gorgeous. i hesitated to try it because of the price (i paid 40 USD), but finally made the leap when i received a sephora gift card. i wasn't overly optimistic; every foundation i have tried, from drugstore brands, to mineral foundation, to top tier brands, has either made me break out, provided not nearly enough coverage to be worth the discomfort of layers of makeup on my face, or went orange on my extremely fair, rosacea skin. my skin isn't too bad, yet nothing ever provided the flawless look i wanted, and i wasn't willing to paint on thick, opaque foundation to get the job done; i'd rather deal with some small flaws showing than announce to the world that i'm wearing pancake makeup. that said, this makeup has been a pleasant surprise. the packaging is a hygienic pump, which is pleasing, but time will tell how easy it is to extract the last few pumps of foundation when it runs low. there is a slight perfume to the product, but aside from a few minutes of tingling, it dissipates quickly and didn't seem to irritate my skin. i applied the makeup with my beautyblender sponge over the MUFE hd green primer (decent, neutralizes the red, is basically undetectable--i don't feel that it warrants its own review at this point because i have not yet applied the makeup without it underneath. it does a passable job at smoothing, but i would have liked to see the pores filled in more. the fact that i did not break out, though, is enough for me). the texture is unlike any makeup i have ever used before--that is, virtually invisible. i have some large pores, occasional milia and minor acne, and this glided over like i have never seen a makeup do. it dried down to a natural-matte finish (i blotted my face to take it down when it seemed a tiny bit too dewy for my oily skin). the one coat i applied seemed to offer a 'true' medium' coverage (you'll still need to apply a concealer to serious redness, blemishes or undereye circles). like most foundations, your skin should be well moisturized before application; it will still catch a little on any dry spots. even the most expensive makeup can only work as well as its canvas. it glided on over my MUFE full cover concealer without caking. my boyfriend said that it didn't look at all like i was wearing foundation, which is really my number one priority. i look forward to getting (hopefully) slightly fuller coverage using my skunk brush. i do not usually tolerate silicones well, and this foundation is lousy with them--be forewarned (as is the primer). however, even with both products together, i have not yet broken out *touch wood*. besides the price, my one gripe is the color--none in the range fit my porcelain skin. i am usually too pale for even the lightest shade in most ranges, and this was no exception. i'm guessing 90% of people will not have any trouble, but the lightest two shades were so pink as to look like calamine lotion. on anyone else pink-toned, they most likely would have worked, but i have enough redness issues with rosacea as it is. i compromised with shade #115, which is a fair, yellowish tone. because of the fine texture, the color discrepancy is less noticeable than with traditional foundations, so i will gladly use up the bottle if it continues to agree with my skin. i'd say #115 is about one half to one shade too dark for my skin, and will have to be mixed with white corrector in the winter (which i'm ambivalent about because i don't want to destroy the lovely finish my adding a different formula to the mix, nor do i want to add paler powder on top and give myself away! even though i am a professional makeup artist, my skin texture does not tolerate layers of product regardless of the application). i did not notice any more oily breakthrough than normal, possibly a bit less (i get very shiny), and the color did not oxidize on me. i lasted a few hours before needing to blot, and the makeup did not settle into pores or fine lines. a good foundation is very hard to come by with my sort of skin, so i will continue to repurchase until something better comes along. i do not wear foundation daily, so it should last a while, at 1.01 oz with my face needing about two pumps per application. a note on color selection: i highly recommend trying this on in-store as opposed to buying onlline; MUFE has great shade selection, but they are not what meets the eye on a computer monitor!

eta: i believe this is causing me to break out. at first i thought it was hormonal, but after more testing, i keep getting whiteheads and painful perioral bumps. silicones and i just don't get along, i guess. how sad.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2009 12:01:00 AM More reviews by 1nhatr3d

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

The massive amount of hype around this product as well as the price kept me from trying it for a while, but this foundation is truly phenomenal. Beautiful coverage, finish, and staying power. 2 thumbs up for MUFE.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2009 6:40:00 PM More reviews by jackiebeauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have yellow tones and golden tones in my fair skin and 115 Ivory fit perfectly. I apply this with my stippling brush. This is by far the best foundation Ive ever used. Good coverage without looking cakey or feeling heavy. Best used with a primer. Flawless in pictures and in real life. Love this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2009 5:26:00 PM More reviews by secreteuphony

I'm so excited! I just tried this for the first time and I know I should wait before reviewing but I want to hand off my initial reaction.

So before this product, my go-to foundation has been Estee Lauder Double Wear Light in 1.0 or 2.0. I went on a foundation scavenger hunt last year and literally tried every department store and even drugstore brands, but I had never tried MUFE until now. In general, I thought Estee Lauder and Shiseido had the best formulas, maybe EL slighter better but their color matching was crappy for my neutral tone.

Anyways, so my first reaction to the HD foundation is OMG, I don't need concealer! I put on one layer around my problem areas and really, there's no need for a 2nd or even concealer, xpt on zits. I imagine this would make a great TM if you blend it w/ lotion.

2nd reaction is... the color is DEAD ON! I'm using 118, was matched by a Sephora salesgirl, it really is a true match. Now I don't have the white face tan neck syndrome, or have to blend in my bronzer and powders to make it look less papery. MUFE colors are very true to skin, thank Heavens.

I would give it 5 stars strait up, but I'm taking 1 away because it's prob not the best for dry skin. I'm combo, and it tends to flake up around dry areas, but I imagine putting on a bit of moisturizer on top will take care of that.

I'm going to get a sample of the Face & Body before I make up my mind. But I'm leaving towards HD because it's oil free and I have combination skin, and if I want they 'dewey" look you can always dilute with a moisturizer. I'm SO sold on this product!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2009 6:49:00 PM More reviews by SsjAnimeGW

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I usually have difficulties finding foundations that I like but I do rather enjoy this one... surprising to me! When the SA at Sephora hooked me up with it I was all like "wow, yep, I'm going to like this for a week then come right back and return it". Well, here I am, a month later, and I still have it! With daily use, I seem to not have even dropped the amount in the bottle so I know although this seemed expensive, it will last me a long time! Some people have commented on the shine and I'd have to agree with them that it is a wee bit shiney... good for photo shoots but not so much for real life. However, I do wear sunscreen underneath this so my shiney-ness may be exacerbated by this. At any rate, a little powder over the top and I'm good to go.
My only complaint is that I got color corrected before I got the summer tan so it's a bit light. It does seem to me to be lighter than it actually is in pictures so if you are going to be in a lot of photos, you may want to go a shade or two darker. I went out with some friends one night recently and it seems to me I am popping out of the pictures screaming "I am a home-body!" because I look so pale, haha! I will have to save this to use in the winter and until then use JI or something. :3

Oh yes, no breakouts! Hoorah because I am the clogged-pore-prone princess! XD

::UPDATE:: Meh, this actually was way too yellow for my skin and I found that it was making my face way too shiny to be manageable. MAC Blot Powder wasn't enough to stop it! The shininess and the fact that 1/2 through the day and it would vanish from my t-zone made me put this one up on swap. Will not repurchase. :P

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2009 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Caroline825

I just bought this foundation and when I first put it on it looked amazing. It gives you a very nice, natural look. You definetely won't look like you have tons of makeup on your face. The color also matched me seamlesly, which I am super excited about, because it has been a bit hard to find a good color when I try other foundations. The only thing I'm a bit iffy about is that after about 2 - 2.5 hours my face looks a little too shiny for my taste and I have to use some powder. I'm gonna keep using this foundatio and see how it goes. The shine may be a deal breaker. I don't wanna be worried about my makeup when I go out and have to powder every couple of hours. I need something that will get me through the day with no problems.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2009 7:40:00 PM More reviews by fancymakeup25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was excited to try this foundation. I read many reviews bc I'm looking for that PERFECT foundation. I am disappointed for sure. Mostly in the coverage. This is NOT medium to full at all, its more light and medium if you layered it on and on, which nobody wants to do! It was a little runnier than I like a foundation to be and looked shiny in a picture! It does not cover melasma at all-so dont plan on it doing that. I dont understand how it can say HD if it doesn't cover up!!! Anyway, this may be good for you if you have minor imperfections....for me, I gave in and ordered the capture totale by dior for 75 bucks!!! I'm also picking up the dior airbrush tomorrow to give it a whirl...I'll let you all know:)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2009 4:03:00 PM More reviews by atsugari

If Giorgio Armani LSF is #1 then this will come in #2. The benefit is that it's not as expensive but it's not as pigmented as LSF it would work for everyday and as an alternative to LSF. The price tag is what the difference is for $18 less you get the same finish and look as using LSF.

Update: removed a lippie, I wore it on a hot day same as when I wear my LSF. I found that this cakes on my t zone and melting at the end of the day. Not a good look. This doesn't happen when I wear LSF. Looks LSF is still the summer foundation for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2009 4:10:00 PM More reviews by radarlove

This product BROKE ME OUT terribly because it has talc in it. I've since discovered that I can't wear anything with talc and this is no exception. So sad, because it was expensive and I love the finish it gives. But I can't wear it. Shame.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2009 7:22:00 PM More reviews by spacecow17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really love this foundation it gives you great coverage its natural looking (doesn't give you that cakey makeup look like other liquid foundations). I used to wear liquid foundation but it was heavy on the skin was oily and gave a cakey look, as a result I resorted to mineral foundation for a while. But then a friend of mine who uses this foundation had recommended this to me. I decided to try it and came to Sephora with no makeup. I tried on a bunch of shades and then came upon the perfect tone that matched my skin color. It was perfect because it was so natural looking and it was very very lightweight on the skin. The only problem I find in this foundation is that it for people with dry peeling skin, it may not be the best to cover that dry look. I have that dry problem, my forehead gets really dry because of my dried up acne, i've used tons of foundation and it seems as if non of the foundation can ever fix or cover up that dry look. I think the only solution to cover it up is to use a moisturizer before you put on the foundation. Also this foundation makes parts of my face oily by the end of the day which is a bit disappointing and the price of this foundation is a bit pricey, but still I'd say its one of the best i've ever used.