August 20, 2014 | 2147 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2009 2:15:00 AM More reviews by ShotgunBarbie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I have the same problem with every single foundation I buy...it seems I am neither a warm or a cool, but a neutral. Even when I get color matched, foundation turns orange or pink on me. I turned yellow when i tried the 117, but I bought the 115 and it looks pretty darn amazing.

I absolutely LOVE this foundation....I apply it with a stippling brush [Mac 188, not the 187....I prefer the smaller one].
Only complaint is that it shows up "cakey" on my forehead but I have been mixing it with a bit of moisturizer to thin it out....I do have quite a bit of dry skin there.

Anyway I love this product and GET COLORMATCHED at sephora for this foundation. DO NOT just buy it without trying it on your skin first

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2009 8:07:00 PM More reviews by nomielayne

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Only 4 lippies because I'm not sure it's the absolute best out there, but it's really good. Natural looking and feeling, doesn't transfer everywhere, nice container, great color match.

And the brush really does make all the difference for foundation application. I'm finally a believer!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2009 8:38:00 PM More reviews by LaughAtTheSky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't tell you how lucky I feel to have found this product! I purchased based on the good reviews, and I am not disappointed.

I put this on w/o a primer (moisturizer only), and used with MUFE concealer underneath. I used my fingers to apply - seemed easier after trying with the brush. Set w/ LM loose powder.

After 8 hours, it still looks great. Only became a little more dewey (not terribly) as the day went on (and this is in 90 degree hit).

The thing I'm most happy about is that this did not settle into the fine lines around my eyes, which I'm SUPER self-conscious about. It even minimized them I think.

Only negative so far is the pump is kind of hard to use. Not easy to pump just a little.

I think I've found my HG foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2009 8:32:00 PM More reviews by gratuity

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am pursuing musical theater, so I have searched forever for that perfect foundation. One with buildable coverage so I could wear it for every day AND for theater, one that was gentle on my sensitive skin so that when I had to wear heavy makeup night after night for a show I would not aggravate my skin, and most importantly: one that would not melt off from sweat or heat or tears. This foundation has fulfilled all my wildest dreams :)

I've tried MAC, Dior, BE, Laura Mercier, Clinique, you name it. This is the only product worth the price. I've worn it to a dance rehearsal and it didn't budge! I fell asleep in it at a party and it was almost perfect the next morning, with no product transfer on my pillow or clothes.

I did purchase the primer and the microfinish powder, and I do believe that though each product is good on its own, they are designed to work together and you will definitely experience the full benefits if you use them all with each other.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2009 2:10:00 AM More reviews by smkawano

A wonderful product! I've been using MUFE's HD foundation for a good six months now and have not once considered changing foundations since. I have my foundation on for a good 12-13 hours a day, and with MUFE: No breakouts and very minimal oxidizing! It gives great coverage with minimal amount of product which is a definite plus considering the relatively high price point.
The only real downside for me is the lack of color selection; since summer I have been having to mix 1 pump of 140 + 1/2 pump of 153 to get my match.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2009 6:07:00 PM More reviews by myluckypenny

I was on an EPIC quest for the perfect foundation coverage for a good two months - and I swear, the people at Sephora probably started to think I was just some cheapskate coming in for samples every time I ran out to avoid purchasing something... haha.

Anyways, after dabbling with BE, Laura Mercier, Dior, and MAC Studio Fix - I settled with MUFE's foundation and primer because a SA applied it to a girl standing next to me, and she literally went through an ugly duckling transformation in minutes!!! I had the SA match me, and it covered beautifully. I used to use Stila's TM and I would always look shiny in pictures... and w/ this, I look "dewy" - not "shiny"...

The color stays well, and I like that it doesn't mask all of my features. I have a few freckles and a mole I would very much like to let shine through, instead of hiding it under a layer of gunk that might imply I am ashamed of them.

ALSO, I've had terrible monthly acne breakouts for the longest time, it has helped my skin heal, and my face is actually free of breakouts 90% of the time now! After a month of use, my face is actually smooth, and I don't feel gross if I decide to go a day w/o makeup! I can't wait to see the results after 6 mos. of usage!

I do want to purchase their microfinish powder to set it with, because right now, I'm just using a pressed powder foundation from MAC. That's one thing that could be a pro or a con with MUFE products:

MUFE only works well with MUFE... there's no mixing and matching to mess around with. True, for those that like to color match or mess w/ makeup formulas, this could be a hassle to throw out your old makeup regimen to restock with an arsenal of MUFE products... [and it could be costly] - BUT I feel that I am one of those that like to keep things simple - quick - and easy, so buying everything from one brand does not bother me if it delivers what is promised. My only gripe is the price, but that's beauty for ya'.

Def. repurchase, MUF junky is born!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2009 5:01:00 PM More reviews by jmonacruz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

One of our fellow MUA's referred this product to me when I noticed her reviews. She mentioned her use of Makeupforever green concealer.

I needed good coverage for a bad break out due to stress. I had a funeral to go to and was freaked out about seeing family I haven't seen for ages. Before I went to Sephora to purchase this product, I checked reviews on the web about it. Acne prone users had plenty of good things to say, so I decided to try it. This product worked well on my skin. It covered my break outs, dark circles and fine lines around the eyes and mouth. It saved me from having to feel insecure about yet another breakout. I received lots of complements and was able to deal with the tough events at hand.

The foundation felt super light on my skin. Lighter than Bare Essentials. My former powder. Makeupforever 128 Almond, didn't make me break. Actually, I started clearing up. Now I realize that Bare Essentials mineral powder, (the one recommended for acne prone skin by dermatologists), was making me break out and giving me horrible coverage. I do notice that I'm still shiny at the end of the night, but I haven't found something that minimizes that well yet. Overall, I'm very happy. I use both the green primer and foundation, but I'm not sure if the primer is necessary. We'll see how things go. I'm crossing my fingers. So far, so good.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2009 2:36:00 AM More reviews by suzannaelektra

The color is great (I use 123 Desert) however, even with the MUFE primer...it slicks off my face. I set it and everything...but something about it seems oily (even though it's oil-free). My skin in combination-oily and I would not purchase again! The coverage is also light-medium NOT medium-full.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2009 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Makeup For Ever HD High Def Foundation shade 118: The price is up there so make sure you love the color match!

I got this at Sephora because I needed something that photographs well and is sunscreen free for a special occasion. I liked the feel, the blendability was smooth (used MAC 187 to buff around) and the color match was pretty good.

The packaging is nice also. Pump dispenser makes life a little easier and keeps things sanitary and the protective lid over top is extra reassurance that the foundation isn't going to empty itself while traveling.

The two things I noticed that I wasn't crazy about was 1) as the night progressed the makeup seemed to oxidize and appear darker than the initial application, of the four hours I was seen in this foundation I would say it started to slack off around hour 3. 2) The coverage was good but as the night progressed the makeup seemed to absorb. I used the MUFE primer with it and set with translucent powder so I am not sure why my skin absorbed the makeup.

I am not disappointed but I am not wholly convinced that there wasn't something better out there for my needs considering the amount of money spent.

PROS: Color range was decent - better than most lines. Packaging is sanitary, easy to use and travel friendly. Feels smooth, blends beautifully and doesn't feel thick.

CONS: Did photograph well but I was hoping the flash wouldn't bounce off of my makeup at all. Really expensive. Oxidized on my skin after hour three and seemed to absorb even with a MUFE primer underneath.

UPDATE: The more I use this the more I like it. I initially wrote this review in the middle of summer - now that it has cooled off a little this is working out much better for me. I am going to give this a 5 from a 3.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2009 4:32:00 PM More reviews by pbharuch

I know I gave this product pretty good ratings, which makes the fact that I wouldn't repurchase it weird. Well I fell in love with it the moment I tried it on. Rather, the second time. The first time I was matched to a foundation that looked great in the store, but when I got outside I was a little insecure about it, and had to try on a shade lighter to make sure I bought the right one. For reference I'm a 153 in MUFE HD and a Warm Natural in Bobbi Brown. I find that I always end up going a shade lighter than what a MA matches my skin to initially, and it ends up being better, so if you have complex skin, that might be a good option for you. From the start, the pump was very nice. It was easy to press down and get as much foundation as I needed. I rarely used liquid foundation before so I didn't realize how important a pump is but it was really nice. One problem with the pump/packaging was that I would lay the foundation horizontally/flat in my make up box and eventually a ring of foundation formed around the base of the pump and it got a little messy. The packaging was pretty, didn't seem cheap but not as expensive feeling as Chanel though, it was a little plastic like and definitely didn't show the level of foundation in the bottle, so it wasn't great or horrible. I loved the overall effect of the make up, it gave pretty good coverage but I did need a better moisturizer for my drier spots and a concealer for the bigger problem areas (I didn't like the MUFE one, it just didn't stay or cover very well and I prefer the Bobbi Brown touch up stick). My skin looked like I didn't have on makeup, and it was so smooth. The HD primer is a must, I just bought the neutral one, and I liked the powder but I felt like I looked moderately ghostly after wearing it. The foundation was also long lasting, it didn't wear off even though I have super oily skin and the weather outside was unbearably hot. That being said, it gave such a matte appearance. This was the first foundation I actually bought that was over $30, and it just didn't feel worth it. I needed to buy so much stuff to make sure I got the perfect look - a new moisturizer, the primer, concealer, concealer primer, foundation, powder, and a new cleanser to take everything off (thought that's not a major complaint it's probably a good indication of how long wearing it is). Overall I spent at least $200 for this, and it just wasn't worth it. I switched to Bobbi Brown and was much happier. Its a great foundation and seems like it does its job well, but given the matte-ness of it and its failure to meet my needs, it just doesn't reach HG status for me.