September 30, 2014 | 1920 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2009 5:31:00 PM More reviews by yayitsanne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is just so so. For what it does, I definitely don't think it's worth the price. It gives medium coverage, but on me I felt like it accentuated any flaws rather than covering them. It doesn't even conceal all of my uneven skintone and it really sunk into my pores. I like the fact that it comes in a pump bottle, but other than that it's nothing spectacular. It's not awful, but it's not an amazing miracle foundation either. If you're looking for a good foundation from MUFE that provides awesome buildable coverage and still looks pretty natural (no fuller coverage foundation is going to look 100% natural close up) try mat velvet +. It's cheaper, too!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2009 9:50:00 PM More reviews by Neume

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UPDATED: I wrote a review on this a couple years ago and recently gave this foundation another go after abandoning it once it ran out. My skin has since changed. I am now just oily, no longer combo (dry spots are only in the creases around nose, which is chronic anyway) and with a newfound skincare regimen my pimples have cleared dramatically. I also have discovered a good primer, setting powder, and setting spray since that last time I used this foundation.

That being said, this foundation looks quite different on me now. Initial application is BEAUTIFUL! I literally look like an airbrushed picture, and have had friends comment that my skin looks flawless. It adequately evens my skin tone and covers the red patches around my nose without clinging to any flakey skin. It's lightweight and doesn't look cakey. As it was when I used it before, it blends seamlessly, has a wide color selection, and offers medium coverage. It will still settle a little bit into pores and fine lines, but not nearly as bad as powder foundations. I use the ecotools bronzer brush to apply it. So what to take from this? Well, basically I wouldn't recommend this if your skin is problematic - this is unfortunately one of those foundations that will deliver its promises of "HD quality" if your skin is already pretty good. If you're looking to cover up active breakouts, this is not for you.

My overall biggest disappointment is that even with primer, powder, and setting spray, it does not make it past 5-6 hours of wear. While it does not oxidize, I look incredibly greasy and need to blot and reapply (not even a reapplication of powder can save it). For a relatively pricey foundation, I would expect to get at least 8+ hours out of it, especially now that I've nailed a good skin regimen (I now moisturize my skin so I don't overproduce oil). So for that reason, I won't buy it again.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2009 3:01:00 PM More reviews by AliceRene

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After years of searching and dozens of brands, I think I've finally found my HG foundation. I wear 110 porcelain pink and it matches perfectly. It has awesome coverage, though not enough to cover some of the major problems (which I have a few of) but it makes the majority of my skin look flawless, which is all I ask for. Depending on if I use it every day or not, it lasts me a good two to four months, which I guess isn't bad for a foundation. I like that it's pump because it's sanitary but when it starts to get empty, the pump sputters and spits product everywhere. It's fixable though, I just twist the top off and pour some onto the back of my hand when that starts to happen.
*EDIT* It's still my HG because of how flawless it looks, but I do have a few complaints that I should add: First, it clogs my pores like mad. But that's not saying much, because I have yet to find something that doesn't clog my pores. And I don't like how visible it can be. If you get close enough, it's very obvious that you're wearing foundation.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2009 2:38:00 PM More reviews by MakeUpJunkiee

Finally, a foundation that works! I've been an avid user of tinted moisturizers for a long time now because i gave up on trying to find the right type, shade and consistensy of liquid foundation. I dont have any acne or rosacea but a tiny bit of overal discoloration and an open pore or two. So the coverage i was looking for was just a light to medium coverage. MUFE's HD foundation comes in about 25 different shades, surely there had to be one for me! and there was, i am #153 and the color is PERFECT, i mean absolutely perfect. I use my mac 180 buffer brush (heart flutter) to apply this foundation and the results is phenomenal. This foundation is very light weight but high pigmented so you dont need a lot of foundation to get the coverage you need. This is a matt foundation but still gives the skin a nice dewy look without being greasy or oily. Your skin feels soft after application and the foundation seems to melt on your face, there is no trace of it anywhere, yet your skin looks even and healthy! I use one pump, and i dont even pump all the way down and its plenty to cover my face, i use DDF oil free moisturizing dew and laura geller spackle under this and top off the foundation with a tiny bit of Mac loose powder to set and my results are FIERCE. During the day you might get a little shine, use blot paper or powder to set. My foundation lasts all day, this doesnt change color with your skin's natural oils like alot of foundations, it stays true to its color. Definitely worth the price, you get what you pay for. Remember, with foundation less is more, begin with less than you think you need and build as necessary. Foundation is meant to look natural, if you are using more than a full pump, you're probably using too much. Also remember to moisturize and prime, makes a big difference!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/10/2009 11:13:00 AM More reviews by 0ubliette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

this product is gorgeous. i hesitated to try it because of the price (i paid 40 USD), but finally made the leap when i received a sephora gift card. i wasn't overly optimistic; every foundation i have tried, from drugstore brands, to mineral foundation, to top tier brands, has either made me break out, provided not nearly enough coverage to be worth the discomfort of layers of makeup on my face, or went orange on my extremely fair, rosacea skin. my skin isn't too bad, yet nothing ever provided the flawless look i wanted, and i wasn't willing to paint on thick, opaque foundation to get the job done; i'd rather deal with some small flaws showing than announce to the world that i'm wearing pancake makeup. that said, this makeup has been a pleasant surprise. the packaging is a hygienic pump, which is pleasing, but time will tell how easy it is to extract the last few pumps of foundation when it runs low. there is a slight perfume to the product, but aside from a few minutes of tingling, it dissipates quickly and didn't seem to irritate my skin. i applied the makeup with my beautyblender sponge over the MUFE hd green primer (decent, neutralizes the red, is basically undetectable--i don't feel that it warrants its own review at this point because i have not yet applied the makeup without it underneath. it does a passable job at smoothing, but i would have liked to see the pores filled in more. the fact that i did not break out, though, is enough for me). the texture is unlike any makeup i have ever used before--that is, virtually invisible. i have some large pores, occasional milia and minor acne, and this glided over like i have never seen a makeup do. it dried down to a natural-matte finish (i blotted my face to take it down when it seemed a tiny bit too dewy for my oily skin). the one coat i applied seemed to offer a 'true' medium' coverage (you'll still need to apply a concealer to serious redness, blemishes or undereye circles). like most foundations, your skin should be well moisturized before application; it will still catch a little on any dry spots. even the most expensive makeup can only work as well as its canvas. it glided on over my MUFE full cover concealer without caking. my boyfriend said that it didn't look at all like i was wearing foundation, which is really my number one priority. i look forward to getting (hopefully) slightly fuller coverage using my skunk brush. i do not usually tolerate silicones well, and this foundation is lousy with them--be forewarned (as is the primer). however, even with both products together, i have not yet broken out *touch wood*. besides the price, my one gripe is the color--none in the range fit my porcelain skin. i am usually too pale for even the lightest shade in most ranges, and this was no exception. i'm guessing 90% of people will not have any trouble, but the lightest two shades were so pink as to look like calamine lotion. on anyone else pink-toned, they most likely would have worked, but i have enough redness issues with rosacea as it is. i compromised with shade #115, which is a fair, yellowish tone. because of the fine texture, the color discrepancy is less noticeable than with traditional foundations, so i will gladly use up the bottle if it continues to agree with my skin. i'd say #115 is about one half to one shade too dark for my skin, and will have to be mixed with white corrector in the winter (which i'm ambivalent about because i don't want to destroy the lovely finish my adding a different formula to the mix, nor do i want to add paler powder on top and give myself away! even though i am a professional makeup artist, my skin texture does not tolerate layers of product regardless of the application). i did not notice any more oily breakthrough than normal, possibly a bit less (i get very shiny), and the color did not oxidize on me. i lasted a few hours before needing to blot, and the makeup did not settle into pores or fine lines. a good foundation is very hard to come by with my sort of skin, so i will continue to repurchase until something better comes along. i do not wear foundation daily, so it should last a while, at 1.01 oz with my face needing about two pumps per application. a note on color selection: i highly recommend trying this on in-store as opposed to buying onlline; MUFE has great shade selection, but they are not what meets the eye on a computer monitor!

eta: i believe this is causing me to break out. at first i thought it was hormonal, but after more testing, i keep getting whiteheads and painful perioral bumps. silicones and i just don't get along, i guess. how sad.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2009 12:01:00 AM More reviews by 1nhatr3d

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

The massive amount of hype around this product as well as the price kept me from trying it for a while, but this foundation is truly phenomenal. Beautiful coverage, finish, and staying power. 2 thumbs up for MUFE.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2009 6:40:00 PM More reviews by jackiebeauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have yellow tones and golden tones in my fair skin and 115 Ivory fit perfectly. I apply this with my stippling brush. This is by far the best foundation Ive ever used. Good coverage without looking cakey or feeling heavy. Best used with a primer. Flawless in pictures and in real life. Love this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2009 5:26:00 PM More reviews by secreteuphony

I'm so excited! I just tried this for the first time and I know I should wait before reviewing but I want to hand off my initial reaction.

So before this product, my go-to foundation has been Estee Lauder Double Wear Light in 1.0 or 2.0. I went on a foundation scavenger hunt last year and literally tried every department store and even drugstore brands, but I had never tried MUFE until now. In general, I thought Estee Lauder and Shiseido had the best formulas, maybe EL slighter better but their color matching was crappy for my neutral tone.

Anyways, so my first reaction to the HD foundation is OMG, I don't need concealer! I put on one layer around my problem areas and really, there's no need for a 2nd or even concealer, xpt on zits. I imagine this would make a great TM if you blend it w/ lotion.

2nd reaction is... the color is DEAD ON! I'm using 118, was matched by a Sephora salesgirl, it really is a true match. Now I don't have the white face tan neck syndrome, or have to blend in my bronzer and powders to make it look less papery. MUFE colors are very true to skin, thank Heavens.

I would give it 5 stars strait up, but I'm taking 1 away because it's prob not the best for dry skin. I'm combo, and it tends to flake up around dry areas, but I imagine putting on a bit of moisturizer on top will take care of that.

I'm going to get a sample of the Face & Body before I make up my mind. But I'm leaving towards HD because it's oil free and I have combination skin, and if I want they 'dewey" look you can always dilute with a moisturizer. I'm SO sold on this product!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2009 6:49:00 PM More reviews by SsjAnimeGW

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I usually have difficulties finding foundations that I like but I do rather enjoy this one... surprising to me! When the SA at Sephora hooked me up with it I was all like "wow, yep, I'm going to like this for a week then come right back and return it". Well, here I am, a month later, and I still have it! With daily use, I seem to not have even dropped the amount in the bottle so I know although this seemed expensive, it will last me a long time! Some people have commented on the shine and I'd have to agree with them that it is a wee bit shiney... good for photo shoots but not so much for real life. However, I do wear sunscreen underneath this so my shiney-ness may be exacerbated by this. At any rate, a little powder over the top and I'm good to go.
My only complaint is that I got color corrected before I got the summer tan so it's a bit light. It does seem to me to be lighter than it actually is in pictures so if you are going to be in a lot of photos, you may want to go a shade or two darker. I went out with some friends one night recently and it seems to me I am popping out of the pictures screaming "I am a home-body!" because I look so pale, haha! I will have to save this to use in the winter and until then use JI or something. :3

Oh yes, no breakouts! Hoorah because I am the clogged-pore-prone princess! XD

::UPDATE:: Meh, this actually was way too yellow for my skin and I found that it was making my face way too shiny to be manageable. MAC Blot Powder wasn't enough to stop it! The shininess and the fact that 1/2 through the day and it would vanish from my t-zone made me put this one up on swap. Will not repurchase. :P

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2009 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Caroline825

I just bought this foundation and when I first put it on it looked amazing. It gives you a very nice, natural look. You definetely won't look like you have tons of makeup on your face. The color also matched me seamlesly, which I am super excited about, because it has been a bit hard to find a good color when I try other foundations. The only thing I'm a bit iffy about is that after about 2 - 2.5 hours my face looks a little too shiny for my taste and I have to use some powder. I'm gonna keep using this foundatio and see how it goes. The shine may be a deal breaker. I don't wanna be worried about my makeup when I go out and have to powder every couple of hours. I need something that will get me through the day with no problems.