Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 12/25/2009 11:19:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I really wanted to like this foundation. For awhile I was waiting to get my hands on it and WOU - what a disappointment. First of all it just slided off my face within 2 hours of application and my skin isn´t even that oily. It also looked cakey and completely unnatural.. Not nice. I have tried a lot of different ways to applied but nothing works.

on 12/24/2009 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

To be honest, I am TERRIFIED to even type this review up. I've noticed that everytime I think I have fallen in love with a foundation and leave a good review for it, it seems to jinx it & the foundation stops performing as stellar as I thought it originally did. Goodness, please don't let that happen this time. LoL.
At first, I always wanted to check out the HD foundation, but some oily skinned ladies said it might not be best for oily skin (which I have), so I started with Mat Velvet first. I thought it was OK, but noticed that no matter how I set it, THAT's the foundation that would make me pretty oily as the day wore on. Odd right? I've tried MUFE super matte loose powder, MAC blot, AND HD powder - and with each, MV still looked orangey, heavy, oily & I just gave up when I couldn't find a single shade neutral enough to look natural on me. During a visit to Sephora about 2 weeks ago, I ventured once again to the MUFE aisle. I began swatching foundations, and tried 175 first in HD (I'm normally an NC50 in MAC). I noticed how orangey that shade was as well. THEN, I tried 177 in HD, and noticed that while it looked rather dark & a little olivey in undertone, it also seemed to melt & blend perfectly on the back of my hand. I asked the associate for a take-home sample because I normally have to 'live with a foundation' for awhile to see how it wears over the course of a day, see if I break out over time - stuff like that. I used the sample the next day and it seemed to blend Ok, but I still just wasn't blown away by it. It looked a little heavy and thick, and just off somehow. Day 2, I used a little less than I did the first time - and saw an improvement. The shade was workable, left NO oil slicks during the day - and, and, AND - DIDN'T oxidize on me after 8+ hours of work! WHAT?!! I purchased the fullsize version of this on the strength of that alone, and upon receiving the order, I rec'd a primer sample by sheer luck - Hourglass mineral primer. The next time I wore HD foundation, I used a bit of the Hourglass primer on my t-zone, then used a SINGLE drop of HD foundation (diluted with moisturizer to make it easier to spread), and set it with a little bit of MAC's blot powder in Dark, and it looked nice - even better than it did before. That primer was a match made in heaven for this foundation BTW.
As of now, I'm still working on getting my technique perfected, but HD has come closer than anything else EVER has to being the best foundation for me in terms of color, longevity, texture, and zero breakouts. Super matte powder sets it best, and I LOVE the non-oxidizing part. Color stays true pretty much all day, and doesn't require more than one or two blots to look fresh for hours and hours at a time. So oily skin gals, don't pass up on this one. I prob would have NEVER given this a 2nd look if it hadn't been for that chance meeting in the Sephora aisle. I def recommend trying MUFE foundations in person. I finally came to realize that the reason this foundation settles down so nicely on my skin even though it appears too dark at first - is because it dries down a little lighter than what you see in the packaging. So the shade you need may *have* to be darker than what you would normally use just so it can adjust properly on your skin. Pretty tricky, eh? But somehow, it just works! ;-)

on 12/23/2009 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love it. Feels like youre not even wearing any foundation. Not heavy at all and doesnt leave your face all caky. Does have a dewy look to it and can get really oily if you dont put powder on. Very very expensive (40-50$). but would definitely buy it again.

on 12/21/2009 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I was in Sephora and saw one of the sales reps had the most beautiful skin. I asked her whether she was wearing anything she pointed me to Make up for Ever HD. I am a Mac NC45, i went with 173, it is perfect for my skin.

The key to making the product work is in the application. I use only one pump and get great coverage (medium coverage), which looks natural, glowing and beautiful. When I wear this foundation i notice I get a lot of stares and people tell me my skin looks beautiful.

So this is how I apply it. 1. I take lotion (lubriderm, but any lotion will do), i apply all over my face. 2. Take a CD (compact disc) and pump foundation once onto the CD. (product goes longer since CD surface doesn't absorb the foundation). 3. Take your Mac 187 and lightly dab into the foundation. After each dab from the CD, dab the brush onto various places along your face. i.e. forehead, chin, cheeks etc. 4. Then use your 187 and buff. Do circular motions and you will have complete face coverage with just one pump. The product is pricey but it will last if you implement this technique, so you definitely get your money's worth.

I can't imagine using a liquid foundation with any brush other than a 187 or comparable stippling brush. I would imagine that you end up losing a lot of product.

on 12/21/2009 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

HG product for me! This foundation blends flawlessly into my skin and makes me look poreless! It doesn't cover my dark spots as well as my other HG, MAC Studio Fix Fluid, but I like the way it makes my skin look younger & smoother. I usually wear NW20 in MAC, and the 120 in MUFE HD is a good match for my skintone. I think it is a slight bit yellower than MAC's NW20, but since I have a light olive skintone, this shade works just fine. I use the MAC Prep & Prime Transparent Finishing Powder over this HD foundation, and it keeps my skin looking matte and oil-free for many hours. I will definitely buy this again.

on 12/21/2009 1:58:00 AM

Really wanted to love this foundation, but it was no match to my super sensitive, combination skin. It has a decent amount of coverage which was always buildable. I tried for about two/three weeks and realized it was the reason why i began breaking out. The ingredient talc and i do not combine. Back to my studio fix fluid, better coverage plus it works well with my sensitive skin. Odd? Tell me about it.

on 12/18/2009 3:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this foundation specifically for photographs, which it's great for. It's also a perfect match for my skin tone, and there is a very large selection of undertones. I like the consistency and it's between medium to full coverage. I only use one pump for my whole face, anything more makes the foundation look cakey. It comes with a pump which keeps it sanitary, but sometimes you pump out more product than you need. I have normal to dry sensitive skin and I haven't experienced any breakouts. The foundation doesn't seem to be very long-lasting, but I haven't tried using a primer underneath. As an everyday foundation this is a mediocre product, so you might want to consider looking for another foundation that does the same job for less money. But this product is really great for pictures because it has no SPF, it's very pigmented, and it helps to diffuse light from the camera flash.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay, this product is way too overrated. I got a sample of it, used it and it broke me out the next day, but because of all the rave about it I gave it another try after my skin has recovered, and it broke me out again, so i know it is the foundation that is causing my breakout.The foundation has medium coverage, and in about a couple of hours of wearing it I get a sheer coverage and my skin turns quite oily, so much for HD and camera ready. I really don't like this product, there are so much better foundation out there.

I'm a foundation freak to put it frankly, I'm always trying/buying/ foundation. Gosh, I wanted to LOVE this product, because I loved how it matched me so well. I'm about NC20 in MAC and the 117 shade matched me very very well. I like a pretty moderate covering consistency for my foundation and I felt like it just.. for 40 dollars, it should of been a lot better and it wasn't. I liked that it felt light, but it also didn't really cover that well. It wasn't as thick as everyone had said (maybe a lot of you are just used to very light foundations) It's quite expensive and the staying power is no different than any other foundation, if not, less. I bought the Almay long lasting 16 hour and it's literally the SAME color for 10 dollars in Buff 02, so I'm happier with that and my wallet is happier.

on 12/17/2009 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've been wearing this foundation for about 2 weeks now and I'm pretty impressed. No breakouts, very lightweight on my face, last all day and the color matches me really well (MUFE: 153 and MAC:NC42-NC44). I use one and a half pumps and use my MAC 109. This foundation is very pigmented so a little goes a long way. As for coverage, it's medium to heavy. I've used this without concealer and it doesn't covers all my blemishes but with concealer my face looks almost flawless. This also goes perfectly with MUFE's HD Powder, which i've had more a few months but never really used it. But when used on top of this foundation it's sooo pretty. Your face feels really soft and silky not sticky and shiny. Love love love. My only problem is the price. So I will probably purchase when there's another sale/discount code going on. I haven't really taken pictures with it on but i'm sure it'll look good. But this for sure has to be my favorite liquid foundation.