Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

HG! HG! I was matched in Sephora twice, once with #120, and with #125...weird. Besides the colour, I love how it gives a flawless finish. Most foundations would accentuate my pores around my nose, but this did not! It is very easy to work with, blendable and buildable. I love how it feels weightless after applying it, and it feels really soft unlike some sticky foundations.

The finish is beautiful and the staying power was quite good even though I had to touch up once on my T-zone area. What I love about this is that it looks natural despite the perfect finish. The price is alright, I wouldn't mind spending a bit more on something that makes me look airbrushed. As for the packaging, it is great! It comes with a pump which allows you to control how much product you want. I would not wear this everyday to school or to work, I would just wear it to special night outs.

Other than that, I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!!

-EDIT-
I change my thoughts and this deserves 3/5 lippies. The main reason is the staying power and how it controls my oils. It does not stay on long enough. I can see parts of my face fading, or melting away after just 5 hours of wear. However, when this is paired with the MUFE HD primer, then it'll stay on a lot longer.
Also, this does not do a good job controlling my oily parts. My t-zone (which is not really too oily) gets really shiny after a couple of hours! I dont know why, but even if I use a drugstore foundation, my t-zone doesn't get as oily as when I use this foundation.

Overall, I think this is a great foundation if you have normal to dry skin. If you have oily skin, this product will not last on you at all!

on 12/29/2009 8:39:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got a large sample of this from Sephora, and I've been wearing it for a few days now,and it's just not the foundation for me. My oily skin eats up foundation, and this was no exception - it was gone from around my nose & chin by midday. I find myself having to blot more often with this than my usual Colorstay & Double Wear. For the record, I used it with Monistat Anti-Chafe as primer and Ben Nye Neutral Set as powder.

I'm giving it a 3 out of 5 because the shade selection is fantastic (I use 117; I'm very pale & yellow-toned), and it looks good for the first hour that I have it on - it's good at blurring fine lines and neutralizing redness, but after about an hour my face gets oily and the foundation disappears. Perhaps it'd work for someone with dry skin.

on 12/29/2009 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was a BE convert for almost 6 years and I had "settled" for less than optimum coverage in exchange for a natural look. Thanks to MUA I discovered this! I apply it with Sonia Kashuk brush that has rave reviews here and finish it off with Coastal Scents silica powder. I love the coverage! It really is awesome. It hides all the redness and acne scars, dark spots and all without looking like a mask. Yes, your face looks great in pictures. This foundation also wears better and does not oxidize. I have to blot my face a few times but that is because my skin is a grease factory.

I don't like the fact that it doesn't dispense like half a pump because I need exactly a 1.5 pumps so there is a little bit of excess every time. It should still last me for a long time. It is expensive so make sure you take some samples home see it in different lights.

on 12/28/2009 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I am using a sample of #117 and so far I really like it. I like a dewy finish and this seems to be dewy enough when applied over smashbox primer. I have also tried mixing a couple of drops into my HG sunblock, Ti-Silc and it also has given me the dewy look that I prefer. I have another sample to try, but if i like this better, I will buy it.

on 12/27/2009 4:02:00 PM

I was looking for a new foundation, and really wanted to give this one a try, so I went to Sephora and I am so happy I tried it before getting it. To be fair, I hold the consultant more at fault for my bad impression than the actual foundation, so I gave it an extra lippy, because it was AWFUL! She caked it on so bad, that I honestly could have been placed in an oven! I saw all my imperfections, even ones I dont have, like more lines on my face, and it was just so OBVIOUS I had it on, it made me look much older than I am. It is full coverage and not what I wanted - I got the Nars Sheer Glow, which was more my style. I honestly recommend to try it before getting, to know what you want out of a foundation.

on 12/27/2009 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

Ive actualy been using this product for a while and have tried other products inbetween, although it is a bit pricy i find it gives the best coverage. My skin does not break out alot but my skin it's very uneven with blemishes etc. I use this foundation daily and it is fairly heavy, you definately have to use makeup remover to get it off. Because its fairly thick I set it with a light compact powder (i use prescriptives anywhere powder) that gives me a smooth flawless finish. If you use a powder thats to thick or heavy it will look cacky with this foundation, a mineral powder is best. For me the best thing about this product is the coverage and it lasts all day, i might tuch up my tzone with a compact powder once throughout the day (I do wear it with primer). They also have alot of shades, which is a plus for me since im a yellow base and had trouble finding my color in other MUFE foundations. On the down side, the pump doesnt let you control how much foundation you apply, which is frustrating because one pump doesn't seem to be enough and two is a little too much. I choose to apply it with my fingers because its a bit thick to apply with a brush and dries quickly on your skin so you'd probably end out using more product. Also, because it gives you maximum coverage your skin can look dead and flat with no color in it so you may have to brush on some blush or bronzer.

I've heard the foundation has an amazaing finish when applied with the HD kabuki but im yet to try that. I actualy have the kabuki which is SUPER soft but i use it for bronzer instead

As for the HD thing it looks alright in pictures, but so does alot of other foundations ive used, i find as long as you're wearing the right shade of foundation and powder other brands can still look good even with glaring camera flash.

on 12/25/2009 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After hearing all the rave reviews about this product, I had to try it. I was matched in Sephora to the lightest color (I am super super pale). The consultant told me that that was the lightest shade of any foundation that Sephora carried and assured me that it was pale enough for my skin. After spending a ridiculous $40 on it (sans tax), I brought it home. I have almost perfect skin save hormonal breakouts around my period. This stuff made it look like CRAP! It made me super-oily, and was unnnatural looking no matter which method I used to apply it (even tried using multiple primers, different foundation brushes, sponges, etc). I gave up and took it back for a refund. This stuff is really not all it's cracked up to be.

Got this for christmas after waiting months. I was so, so excited to try it . Put it on first time with new MAC 187 Brush ( bad idea), and then the next morning did it with my sonia kashuk flat top blusher brush, the same way I put my regular, drugstore foundation. I'm so dissapointed. It's cakey, but gave me little to no coverage. Paid $40 when my usual $7 Maybelline foundation covers up everything with a good finish..

on 12/25/2009 11:19:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I really wanted to like this foundation. For awhile I was waiting to get my hands on it and WOU - what a disappointment. First of all it just slided off my face within 2 hours of application and my skin isn´t even that oily. It also looked cakey and completely unnatural.. Not nice. I have tried a lot of different ways to applied but nothing works.

on 12/24/2009 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

To be honest, I am TERRIFIED to even type this review up. I've noticed that everytime I think I have fallen in love with a foundation and leave a good review for it, it seems to jinx it & the foundation stops performing as stellar as I thought it originally did. Goodness, please don't let that happen this time. LoL.
At first, I always wanted to check out the HD foundation, but some oily skinned ladies said it might not be best for oily skin (which I have), so I started with Mat Velvet first. I thought it was OK, but noticed that no matter how I set it, THAT's the foundation that would make me pretty oily as the day wore on. Odd right? I've tried MUFE super matte loose powder, MAC blot, AND HD powder - and with each, MV still looked orangey, heavy, oily & I just gave up when I couldn't find a single shade neutral enough to look natural on me. During a visit to Sephora about 2 weeks ago, I ventured once again to the MUFE aisle. I began swatching foundations, and tried 175 first in HD (I'm normally an NC50 in MAC). I noticed how orangey that shade was as well. THEN, I tried 177 in HD, and noticed that while it looked rather dark & a little olivey in undertone, it also seemed to melt & blend perfectly on the back of my hand. I asked the associate for a take-home sample because I normally have to 'live with a foundation' for awhile to see how it wears over the course of a day, see if I break out over time - stuff like that. I used the sample the next day and it seemed to blend Ok, but I still just wasn't blown away by it. It looked a little heavy and thick, and just off somehow. Day 2, I used a little less than I did the first time - and saw an improvement. The shade was workable, left NO oil slicks during the day - and, and, AND - DIDN'T oxidize on me after 8+ hours of work! WHAT?!! I purchased the fullsize version of this on the strength of that alone, and upon receiving the order, I rec'd a primer sample by sheer luck - Hourglass mineral primer. The next time I wore HD foundation, I used a bit of the Hourglass primer on my t-zone, then used a SINGLE drop of HD foundation (diluted with moisturizer to make it easier to spread), and set it with a little bit of MAC's blot powder in Dark, and it looked nice - even better than it did before. That primer was a match made in heaven for this foundation BTW.
As of now, I'm still working on getting my technique perfected, but HD has come closer than anything else EVER has to being the best foundation for me in terms of color, longevity, texture, and zero breakouts. Super matte powder sets it best, and I LOVE the non-oxidizing part. Color stays true pretty much all day, and doesn't require more than one or two blots to look fresh for hours and hours at a time. So oily skin gals, don't pass up on this one. I prob would have NEVER given this a 2nd look if it hadn't been for that chance meeting in the Sephora aisle. I def recommend trying MUFE foundations in person. I finally came to realize that the reason this foundation settles down so nicely on my skin even though it appears too dark at first - is because it dries down a little lighter than what you see in the packaging. So the shade you need may *have* to be darker than what you would normally use just so it can adjust properly on your skin. Pretty tricky, eh? But somehow, it just works! ;-)