Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 10/30/2009 10:44:00 PM

Only at Sephora $40
Ingredients:
All shades contain:
-Apply directly on skin. Small quantity is sufficient to make up the whole face.
-Perfect and mattify application by dusting with HD powder.
Sephora website states:

HD Invisible Cover Foundation
What it is:
An oil-free medium-to-full-coverage liquid foundation that covers skin imperfections flawlessly while remaining invisible on-screen and in real life.

What it does:
Creates a soft-focus effect, designed to meet the coverage concerns of those in the spotlight. It creates a complexion that looks flawless, even in bright or harsh lighting.

What else you need to know:
This Sephora-exclusive foundation comes in 25 different shades to suit all skintones.
Size: 1.01 oz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love this! For me, this lives up to the hype.

I chose shade 120 (I am a NC30 in MAC). The oil free, yellow-toned formula glides onto my skin. Currently, my skin issue is some redness around my nostrils and chin areas. I only need a small (1 pea size) amount (concentrating mainly around nostrils, cheeks, chin--then blending to rest of face) and the coverage is natural. I've tried applying with my fingers for a soft medium HD finish and also used a damp taclon foundation brush for a sheerer finish (2 small pea sized drops because some was absorbed into the brush). Long lasting (10-16 hours) and natural looking. No need for powder to set on most days! Amazing! No detectable fragrance. Nice sturdy plastic pump dispenser!

My only con MAY be the price, but I've used more expensive foundations before and was left with less than superior qualities. I would repurchase in a snap! YAY!

on 10/28/2009 4:54:00 PM

The best foundation I've ever tried. Most liquid foundations tend to either melt off my face, become too shiny/greasy, or cause breakouts. This one stays on all day and provides a truly flawless finish - minimized pores, no shine, even skintone. I bought shade #120 which looks really light in the packaging but goes on true to my skintone. Feels totally comfortable, too - not heavy or mask-like. I apply with my fingers for a natural, sheer finish or my Dior foundation brush for a more airbrushed finish. The stuff is not cheap, but it's definitely worth it!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I just purchased this foundation based on the suggestion of the manager at Sephora. I had been using the Laura Mercier oil free foundation in procelain ivory for the last few years and she suggested this foundation in #115. I have to say as picky as I can be, I have been very happy so far with this foundation. I feel it is easy to apply and is very buildable if you are looking for more coverage. I put it to the sweat test as well and through my rigorous workouts, it still looks great. I find it to be long lasting and very light compared to the Laura Mercier foundation I had been using. Plus it looks natural! I find the price not to be too steep because a little goes a long way. I have found with my past experiences with foundation, that the more I pay, the higher the quality of the foundation.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this foundation, it covers really well!

on 10/26/2009 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I love this foundation! I've been a loyal fan of Armani Luminating Silk Foundation and Chanel Vitalumieres but wanted something with more of a matte finish as these two can appear shiny on my skin. I love how long MUFE HD lasts, that is contains no sunscreen and won't interfere with my separate sunscreen. It is also very buildable, doesn't clog my pores and photographs so well. I don't even use concealer with this foundation.

on 10/26/2009 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After all the hype, I had to give this a try. I was using my MAC 187 brush to apply one pump of product, and no matter how much I stippled and buffed, it seemed to always look a little grainy on my face--like it didn't look like my skin, it looked like my skin with cakey makeup. With a little powder, though, this effect seemed to go away.

I recently started applying it with a damp sponge, and holy moly, what a difference! My skin looks glorious now! The damp sponge is the way to apply this one, ladies and gents. It makes the foundation melt into your skin! The sponge does sheer the coverage a bit, so instead of using one pump, I'm now using 1.5 - 2 pumps of product, but the finish is so much nicer. In general I prefer using a brush for foundation application, but I'll willingly use a sponge if it makes this work better.

Overall, my thoughts: expensive product, not a perfect color match for me (but it's not too far off), definitely not my HG foundation.

on 10/26/2009 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Best foundation i've ever used, and i've used a lot of high end products since i work in the cosmetics industry. My skin looks transparently perfect!

on 10/25/2009 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Amazingly, HD is the first liquid foundation I ever bought. So I don't have any real basis of comparison, but I did do a lot of research before buying it and have been quite happy with the results.

Some background: I've been using it mainly on the weekends for about six months. I have light tan/deep olive (Indian; NC42) skin that's acne-prone and oily with those frustrating flaky patches.

I prep my skin to create the best possible canvas for the foundation -- it makes a HUGE difference. I start sometimes with an aspirin+Cetaphil (+yogurt occasionally) mask and often with the MD Skincare Alpha/Beta Peel (love it!). Next up is Paula's Choice Hydrating Treatment Cream (when it's cold/dry) or Moisture Gel (when it's warm/humid) and then the PC Mattifying Antioxidant Serum around the eyes and other dry and/or fine-line zones. For daytime I follow up with PC Mattifying Lotion SPF 15.

I wait at least 15 minutes for everything to soak in. Then I apply the HD with the MAC 187 brush -- I stipple a little and mostly swirl. I have several hyperpigmentation spots, and for these I dab either with my MAC concealer brush (90, I think?) or just with my fingers. I also dab it under the eyes with my fingers.

The finish is smooth and natural and makes such an incredible difference -- I was really surprised initially at just how good and virtually un-mask-like full foundation can look. The color is an excellent match for my skin tone -- HD comes in so many shades, and I was able to zero in on my best match (155) in pretty short order at Sephora.

Sometimes I get paranoid that my cheeks look ever-so-slightly orangey, so I'll apply a teeny bit of the PC Moisture Gel on top. However, I've come to suspect it's just the bathroom lighting and the overmagnification of my makeup mirror.

HD photographs beautifully and holds up very well over long periods of time (as long as I remember to blot every so often). Again, it looks so natural, even in pictures. I've fallen asleep with it on a couple times and it still looked reasonably quite good in the a.m. I get numerous compliments on my skin, which is due to many factors, but the HD is a significant one!

As I said, my skin is oily, and even with HD (and Clinique Pore Refiner underneath), I need to blot every so often. If I don't, the stuff naturally tends to get gooey and slide off. (I need to find a good new powder to remedy this, actually -- in the past they tended to make me break out, so I stopped powdering altogether.) Anyway, as long as I blot every few hours, HD stays put and looks great.

The cons: the sucky price and pump. Well, I'll caveat the high price by saying a little really does go a long way, and after six months of maybe once/twice-weekly use I still have most of the bottle left. The pump could definitely be better designed, though. Too much squirts out with one pump -- generally I need a little less than a pumpful for my whole face, so the extra goes on the eyelids or lips or as an extra layer or something. And even when I need just a tad more, it's impossible to get anything less than the same oversized squirt. I've managed to make do, but I hope MUFE improves the pump by the time I need to buy a bottle again!

In short: HD gives a beautiful, natural, photogenic finish and has become pretty much indispensable for me. I plan to buy this again.

on 10/25/2009 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I picked up this foundation because of all the talk on the boards. You MUA ladies can be very persuasive. I got a sample from sephora & it was the wrong shade. I immediately returned & was color matched which I suggest everyone who wants to get this do. The MUFE coloring system can be kinda confusing. I ended up purchasing the foundation in the shade 120 which was a perfect match for my nc20-25 skin.
The minute I put it on I felt like it melted right into my skin. Its such a nice formula, it's creamy without being oily. You really don't need much and the amount of coverage is amazing yet really natural.
I use the sonia kashuk blending sponge to apply the foundation & if I need a little more blending I follow up with my MAC 187 skunk brush.
My only complaints about this product are the pump ,which mine gets clogged all the time so I have to run it under hot water a couple times a week. My other complaint is the price. Its $40 for 1.01 fl oz. That's the most I've ever paid for foundation and I would definitely repurchase again but only during sephora F&F sales. I rationalize the price by telling myself that it really only takes 1 pump to cover my whole face.

on 10/24/2009 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Wow, what a great foundations. This is a preliminary review of this product but so far so good! The color selection is fantastic. They have a shade for every skin color and every undertone. This is a big plus for those of us who usually have to mix two shades of foundation together. My skin is very oily and this oil free foundation was just what I needed to keep my face from getting that "oil-slick" look. The application was smooth and such a flawless finish. I have large pores on my cheek area and the HD foundation really minimized that. I will be trying it with the HD finishing powder in the future with hopes of an even more airbrushed look.

Video Reviews & Tutorials