Urban Decay NAKED

4.6

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 1/13/2011 5:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

First of all to me neutral e/s can also include purples and greens, but especially purples. So while I do adore this palette (first palette I ever bought, can you believe it?! And luckily I love it) I wish it came with at least one purple shade and one greenish shade (it already has one dark blue and one grey that leans blue - Creep & Gunmetal, the two last e/s). Then it would be perfect; all the colours I need for any outfit and any event imaginable.

I don't mean straight out purple or green, but something a neutrals girl like me would happily wear just to have one foot in colour, so to speak. The closest to green on me is Darkhorse, which is a bronzey chocolate but somehow gives off a greenish tinge on my eyes. And there is not one I can call purple. Not even a purpley taupe (I'm thinking along the lines of the darker shade in Chanel's Ombres Contraste Duo in Misty Soft, which is a very purple taupe and very unmistakably neutral IMHO).

So UD, if you're reading this and wanting to know how you can make this palette better, please swap two of your browns with a purple and a green, thanks.

on 1/13/2011 5:29:00 AM

I was wary of buying this because I thought the colours might be too warm-toned for me but it turns out that most of the shades are very flattering on my cool skintone. Since I bought this a couple of weeks ago I've used it pretty much every day. I'm writing this review mainly to tip people off that the Irish airline Aer Lingus sells it onboard its flights for 28 euros. That's where I got it. It's an absolute bargain at that price ;-).

on 1/13/2011 4:50:00 AM

Upon buying the infamous Naked palette, I immediately regretted my purchase because this palette made all my other eyeshadows irrelevant for months. I organize all my makeup in drawers and boxes, but the Naked palette remains on my vanity because it is so convenient to just choose two shades and call it a day. While I enjoy the ease and versatility of this palette, my makeup collection weeps because it has been so severely neglected. This palette is perfect for day/night/weddings/school/clubbing/anything. You can create a look for ANY occasion with the colors in this set, plus, it comes with a double ended 24/7 eyeliner pencil and a mini primer potion ALL FOR $45. It's a steal! I know that it is currently sold out everywhere, but when it comes back in stock, snag it, it is totally worth the wait!

NOTE: I will not buy again because I don't think I will ever run out, the eyeshadows are all full sized and there are 12 shades!

on 1/12/2011 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Urban Decay has completely out done themselves on this product. I the beginning I was leary on the brand based on colors and it being outside of my comfort realm, but honestly these are the most beautiful, blendable and luxe shades I have worked with :) a total must!

on 1/12/2011 7:11:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Believe the hype! Every single one of the 12 shadows in Urban Decay's Naked palatte is gorgeous, wearable, and versatile. Neither too warm nor too cool, these shades are true neutrals. Moreover, they're virtually undupable. And the formulas are exactly what you'd expect from Urban Decay -- creamy, highly pigmented, easily buildable, resulting in little to no fallout. I've probably owned hundreds of high end eyeshadows in neutral colors over the years, and I can safely say if I could only keep one palatte, Naked would be it.

on 1/11/2011 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This palette did not live up to the hype for me. I found most of the colors too warm for me to use effectively. The only ones I've used at all are Naked, Buck and Darkhorse. I obsessed over this palate forever before finally getting it and I regret it now. For someone warmer toned, this would probably be amazing. The packaging leaves a lot to be desired as well, it's kind of flimsy feeling and would probably get very dirty with a lot of use. Major letdown.

on 1/11/2011 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

***Please click "continued" to see comparisons with Dior Earth Reflections Quint and with MAC shadows!!!***

I just got this today. I eagerly opened the package from Sephora to find the product contained in plastic, nestled in a lovely little purple pseudo-velvet container that is henceforth useless, haha.

The back of the package reads, "Our neutrals won't leave you naked. 12 multifaceted shades (including four exclusives) escalate your "basics" to rich textures of matte, shimmer, satin, and sparkle. Experiment with office-appropriate, deep and smoky, or summertime bronzed looks. Go naked, not neutral...clothing is optional."

Value-wise, this is great. As you've probably heard, 12 full-size high-quality shadows, plus a mini UDPP, plus a double-ended liner of Whiskey and Zero for just $44 (which comes down to $3.67 per shadow when you ignore everything else.) However, given the hype and the apparent limited availability of this product, please realize this: THIS IS A PERMANENT PRODUCT. I repeat, this palette is PERMANENT. As wonderful as I truly believe it is, you do NOT have to scramble to get your hands on this on eBay. Wait, and good things will come to you. :) Keep an eye on Sephora - that's how I got mine, early January of 2011.

Now, on to the shadows!! Between my two sets of comparison photos I swatched just about every shadow in this palette - and I am INCREDIBLY impressed. I was using my finger to swatch, and the shadows were so soft, yet pigmented in a single swatch. In this, they performed better than the MAC AND than the Dior eyeshadows!

Urban Decay Naked Palette v. MAC

I will preface these comparisons by saying that NONE of these are dupes of each other.
-UD Virgin vs. MAC Shroom: Both shades are satin-finish, but Shroom is more sheer, beige, and shimmery, while Virgin is definitely more pigmented and a lighter hue.
-UD Sidecar vs. L'Oreal HIP Sassy vs. UD Darkhorse vs. UD Toasted: I don't have MAC Satin Taupe to compare, but I've heard Sassy is very, very similar. However, all of these shades are very different, as you can see by the picture.
-UD Creep v. MAC Typographic: I panicked when I first saw Creep, as Typographic was a recent purchase. Redundancy? No. Creep is less pigmented and more sparkly, while Typographic is definitely darker.
-UD Gunmetal v. MAC Smoke & Diamonds: Had to compare the only two real gray shadows that I own. However, you can see that Gunmetal is much, much cooler, with pronounced sparkles. Smoke & Diamonds is definitely warmer; taupe rather than gray, though not as green as it appears to be in the picture.

Urban Decay Naked Palette vs. Dior Earth Reflections Quint 609

My other neutrals palette! I also worried that perhaps I had been redundant with respect to my Dior Quint - not so.
-UD Virgin v. Dior 1: Dior 1 is definitely paler, and very, very sparkly, while Virgin has a quieter, satin finish.
-UD Sin v. Dior 2: On my skin, Dior 2 looks almost exactly like Dior 1. -__- Sin is definitely darker and pinker, and it has the same level of iridescence as Diors 1 and 2.
-UD Half Baked v. Dior 3: Nothing alike. Half Baked is a rich sparkly gold; Dior 3 is a light cream - perhaps similar to MAC Ricepaper?
-UD Sidecar and UD Smog v. Dior 4: Nothing alike. Sidecar definitely contains brown and pink, while Dior 4 is a true taupe. Smog is a rich bronze. All are iridescent.
-UD Darkhorse and UD Hustle v. Dior 5: The closest out of all my comparisons. As you can (hopefully) see from the picture, the three are basically the same shade - a dark, warm taupe - made progressively lighter. Darkhorse and Dior 5 are iridescent, while I'd describe Hustle as satin.

Thanks for reading! For further reference, I'll summarize the various finishes below:
-Virgin: satin
-Sin: frost
-Naked: matte
-Sidecar: frost
-Buck: matte
-Half Baked: frost
-Smog: frost
-Darkhorse: frost (but a bit more toned-down than the others)
-Toasted: frost
-Hustle: satin
-Creep: matte with shimmer
-Gunmetal: satin with shimmer/glitter continued >>

on 1/11/2011 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I love it! You can create so many different looks with all of the shades and they work perfectly together. You won't be disappointed if you buy this.

on 1/11/2011 6:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I just got my palette from Sephora. The e/s are wonderful, everything an e/s should be. I think almost anyone will be happy with their purchase if they decide to buy this palette.
Update...I've been using this for the past few weeks and I'm in love!! I reach for this more than any other of my neutral palettes. I love the texture and feel of the shadows, very buttery and smooth. I have not experienced the fall out that others have talked about.

on 1/11/2011 6:35:00 AM

All I can say is whoever created this palette is shear genius. The reason it is contantly sold out is basically because this is simply a GREAT product. Just sayin.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Bronzed Naked Palette Tutorial! by fashionista804

Urban Decay Naked Palette Neutral Tutorial by ShyGirlBeauty

New Year's Eve & Party Smokey Makeup Tutorial! 2015 by Angie Wilches

How to Look Like Kim Kardashian- Smoky & Glowy Makeup Tutorial- Naked Palette! by OMGigi

Top Rated Urban Decay Products