November 21, 2014 | 1973 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2009 12:10:00 AM More reviews by lookcute14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best foundation i've ever used, and i've used a lot of high end products since i work in the cosmetics industry. My skin looks transparently perfect!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2009 3:45:00 PM More reviews by malini2b

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazingly, HD is the first liquid foundation I ever bought. So I don't have any real basis of comparison, but I did do a lot of research before buying it and have been quite happy with the results.

Some background: I've been using it mainly on the weekends for about six months. I have light tan/deep olive (Indian; NC42) skin that's acne-prone and oily with those frustrating flaky patches.

I prep my skin to create the best possible canvas for the foundation -- it makes a HUGE difference. I start sometimes with an aspirin+Cetaphil (+yogurt occasionally) mask and often with the MD Skincare Alpha/Beta Peel (love it!). Next up is Paula's Choice Hydrating Treatment Cream (when it's cold/dry) or Moisture Gel (when it's warm/humid) and then the PC Mattifying Antioxidant Serum around the eyes and other dry and/or fine-line zones. For daytime I follow up with PC Mattifying Lotion SPF 15.

I wait at least 15 minutes for everything to soak in. Then I apply the HD with the MAC 187 brush -- I stipple a little and mostly swirl. I have several hyperpigmentation spots, and for these I dab either with my MAC concealer brush (90, I think?) or just with my fingers. I also dab it under the eyes with my fingers.

The finish is smooth and natural and makes such an incredible difference -- I was really surprised initially at just how good and virtually un-mask-like full foundation can look. The color is an excellent match for my skin tone -- HD comes in so many shades, and I was able to zero in on my best match (155) in pretty short order at Sephora.

Sometimes I get paranoid that my cheeks look ever-so-slightly orangey, so I'll apply a teeny bit of the PC Moisture Gel on top. However, I've come to suspect it's just the bathroom lighting and the overmagnification of my makeup mirror.

HD photographs beautifully and holds up very well over long periods of time (as long as I remember to blot every so often). Again, it looks so natural, even in pictures. I've fallen asleep with it on a couple times and it still looked reasonably quite good in the a.m. I get numerous compliments on my skin, which is due to many factors, but the HD is a significant one!

As I said, my skin is oily, and even with HD (and Clinique Pore Refiner underneath), I need to blot every so often. If I don't, the stuff naturally tends to get gooey and slide off. (I need to find a good new powder to remedy this, actually -- in the past they tended to make me break out, so I stopped powdering altogether.) Anyway, as long as I blot every few hours, HD stays put and looks great.

The cons: the sucky price and pump. Well, I'll caveat the high price by saying a little really does go a long way, and after six months of maybe once/twice-weekly use I still have most of the bottle left. The pump could definitely be better designed, though. Too much squirts out with one pump -- generally I need a little less than a pumpful for my whole face, so the extra goes on the eyelids or lips or as an extra layer or something. And even when I need just a tad more, it's impossible to get anything less than the same oversized squirt. I've managed to make do, but I hope MUFE improves the pump by the time I need to buy a bottle again!

In short: HD gives a beautiful, natural, photogenic finish and has become pretty much indispensable for me. I plan to buy this again.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2009 10:13:00 AM More reviews by beamer410

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked up this foundation because of all the talk on the boards. You MUA ladies can be very persuasive. I got a sample from sephora & it was the wrong shade. I immediately returned & was color matched which I suggest everyone who wants to get this do. The MUFE coloring system can be kinda confusing. I ended up purchasing the foundation in the shade 120 which was a perfect match for my nc20-25 skin.
The minute I put it on I felt like it melted right into my skin. Its such a nice formula, it's creamy without being oily. You really don't need much and the amount of coverage is amazing yet really natural.
I use the sonia kashuk blending sponge to apply the foundation & if I need a little more blending I follow up with my MAC 187 skunk brush.
My only complaints about this product are the pump ,which mine gets clogged all the time so I have to run it under hot water a couple times a week. My other complaint is the price. Its $40 for 1.01 fl oz. That's the most I've ever paid for foundation and I would definitely repurchase again but only during sephora F&F sales. I rationalize the price by telling myself that it really only takes 1 pump to cover my whole face.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2009 10:46:00 PM More reviews by bmorelikebre

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, what a great foundations. This is a preliminary review of this product but so far so good! The color selection is fantastic. They have a shade for every skin color and every undertone. This is a big plus for those of us who usually have to mix two shades of foundation together. My skin is very oily and this oil free foundation was just what I needed to keep my face from getting that "oil-slick" look. The application was smooth and such a flawless finish. I have large pores on my cheek area and the HD foundation really minimized that. I will be trying it with the HD finishing powder in the future with hopes of an even more airbrushed look.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/23/2009 1:44:00 AM More reviews by jamalana

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had high hopes for this foundation. I got 2 samples from Sephora and both matched pretty well, only differing in one being slightly yellow while the other was more beige/neutral. I didn't even need any additional concealer for my undereye darkness or redness around my nose. My complexion looked really smooth and flawless upon initial application. But hours later, much to my horror and disappointment, it dried up really badly, and made skin look rubbery and wrinkly. I looked like I had aged years in just a few hours! I quickly washed it off and saw that it was indeed the foundation that had such an aging effect on my complexion. I suppose I could have tried a primer to see if that would help. But honestly, I don't want to add another step and another product to my routine. I'll stick with my LM TM for now while the hunt for a light/medium coverage foundation continues.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2009 1:06:00 PM More reviews by rockethamster

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So I love this foundation! Before this I was wearing rimmel lasting finish in soft beige, and while it was nice it tended to accentuate my dry jawline and look powdery. I had a hard time shelling out this much money for a foundation, and I originally chose the wrong shade (123 was way to orange for my light-medium skin tone). Thanks to Britney at Sephora in KOP I was matched to 127 dark sand which looks a lot better! The finish is awesome, not matte not dewey, just smooth and yes air brushed, especially if you use the MAC 187 brush. It has fairly good staying power, especially with the HD finishing powder. Hasn't broken me out yet. And its true that you only need one pump to cover everything. That's how I rationalized the price, it will last quite a while.

Only complaint-- the coloring system is wack! What the heck is with having light colors in between the darks and vice versa on sephora's coloring grid?!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2009 12:43:00 PM More reviews by saraxoox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I would say this is the best foundation I have used so far.The color match is nice(I am a 127) and I love the coverage it gives.It even covers those little red acne marks on my check left behind from pimples.It goes on smoothly and blends nice.I don't use a brush just my fingers.I am glad I gave this a try (I would recommend getting a sample first before buying speaking it is kind of pricey)I will be repurchasing this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2009 8:37:00 AM More reviews by Ummiss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Green

OK this is just a temp revieww. Today is my first day wearing full face. WHen I tried the sample in the store it went on sooo smooth, Looked so natural, not shiny or dewy. So i decided to buy the bottle. I use HD 173 (PERFECT MATCH) Moisturzed with La mer lotion, primed my skin with Givenchy Mister Mat mattifying Foundation primer (I LIKE SO FAR), used a very small amount (went a long way) to apply used MAC 187 brush. Afterwards applied MAC bot powder to set it and it looks so nice. I have oily T-zones and so far its under control. I am frequently checking the mirror to make sure it still fresh and does not wear off... will check back after week one... I'm doing a four week review

11/17/09 Review TWO...

OK so its been a month now and I lOVE LOVE this foundation.... No breakouts, a very clean natural finish. i have very oily skin so i do need to blot or use a loose powder ( that review coming next). This is a a great although I am still looking to compare.. i would like to try the giorgio armani foundation...

11/19/09 Review THREE

ok wanted to give a helpful hint on how to make this product work better... *1st* apply a foundation primer (Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Primer) *2nd* lightly coat face with a translucent loose powder (MAC prep & prime Translucent powder) *3rd* lightly skim coat, place a dot of liquid foundation on forehead, nose, cheeks & chin then blend all over face a very small amount. Just to give an even tone clear complexion *4th* Light brush face with powder (MAC studio fix foundation Powder) just to set the liquid foundation.... and then finally finish up with you bronzer or blush if you use it but overall this gives the best application now if you have oily skin like me periodically apply MAC translucent losse powder as needed... VOILA!!!! Let me know if my technique helps

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2009 12:18:00 PM More reviews by oluwakemi123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have worn this make up for almost 6 months now and generally like that it provides great coverage. However it has Talc and titanium dioxide. However, having acne-prone skin it is so important not to use harsh chemicals on my face as I don't use chemicals on other parts of my body. The thing with the make up is that if you have natually oily skin, in a few hours it makes it MORE oily. It generally lasts 2 or 3 hours before a touch up is needed. Overall, the shade is very close to my colour and a good match for women of color however the harsh chemicals, quick fading and oilyness is a turn off.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2009 1:22:00 AM More reviews by sarahek

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, so i've had this for months now and have been trying to make it work for me. I have dry skin, but when i first used this foundation i wanted to cry. It looked caked on and emphasized every single little flake on my skin, and found new ones i didn't know existed. BUT i was desperate to make it work for me.
So after finding a moisturiser and cleanser that helped get rid of 80% of the flakes and using a microfibre cloth (thanks for that tip MUA!!) AND applying it LIGHTLY with a DAMP SPONGE i am impressed.
This really looks like skin. not makeup. it is amazing. I can get pretty full coverage, look into a mirror close up and not tell i have makeup on. I finally understand now why this product has so much hype!
Unfortunately i think my shade of 110 is just a tad too light. But only noticeable to me and nothing a little bronzer cant fix. However, i'm now wearing sunscreen daily in the hopes that this becomes a perfect match.
Yes its expensive, but i only need such a small amount each time that i dont mind, and when it comes to flawless skin i'll pay a lot.
I'm not quite sure if this is HG material for me tho. I'm always looking for something better, but this so far is the best foundation i have ever tried.
The way i apply it gives it a sheerer coverage than what others are describing. You can still see a few freckles on my nose, but i like that. I have yet to see how this looks in photos, but i will update soon after a college formal evening. :)