July 25, 2014 | 1926 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2009 6:00:00 AM More reviews by SLX

I absolutely love this mascara! I have relatively normal eyelashes, medium length and medium volume, and find that this mascara lengthens, gives volume, and makes my lashes look gorgeous. I also use Maxfactor 2000 Calories, however this one defiantly tops it!
My friend recommended this mascara to me, and she has short eyelashes with not much volume. Therefore I believe this is an all-round excellent mascara and would defiantly recommend it!
I also use brands such as Estee lauder and Clinique etc but would say this mascara is better than many top brands, and for the price what can go wrong!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/20/2009 5:26:00 AM More reviews by Vegalyn

Not impressed at all. It doesn't give you the promised volume and I believe it's basically the same product as the usual Voume Mascara from Maybelline, simply in another packaging. Just a very mediocre mascara, for the same price, Max Factor mascaras are a much better choice.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/20/2009 4:56:00 AM More reviews by lexileven

I'm impressed with this mascara.

Pros:
The big brush reminds me of my favourite, DiorShow, at a fraction of the price! Easy to use.
Doesn't flake and smudges only after 10 hours or so
A good, deep black
Lengthens like WOW! and really seperates
Buildable

Cons:
As others have mentioned, this is quite a 'wet' formula so you need to be patient about building coats
Not as volumising as promised, though still pretty good - when layered over a primer it's amazing.

This gives me pretty, fluttery, dramatic lashes and is perfect for everyday or, with layering, for an evening look. It's also a bargain price with a wand I like....so I will overlook the smell :) A good performer!

EDIT: Ok, it seems this varies in quality. First tube was awesome but second one flaked after the first week, looked awful. I've knocked a lippy off and won't repurchase :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2009 3:40:00 AM More reviews by XxAwesomeActressxX

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I really loved this mascara. Sure it had its downfalls as all things do - the main one being too much came on the brush.
But on a positive note:
- it gave me curly and more lengthened lashes
- it stayed on the whole day and didn't sag.
- it made my eyelashes a intense black
- it didn't clump (if you applied it ok)

On the bad side:
- there was definately an excess of formula on the brush (but you could easily wipe it away with a tissue or something else)
- the brush it quite big so if you make a wrong move it could go on you skin easily ( but ther are ways to take mascara off without ruining your make up)

I personally really loved this mascara and i raved about it to my friends and then they went and bought it and love it as well. You can make you lashes super extravagant by putting on a few coats or leave it with one coat and it can look natural.

And if you have a problem with the smell breathe through your mouth. i couldn't smell it unless i sniffed the brush but it might just be me.

One of the things that annoys me about how Maybelline marketed the product was that they said it gave you 9x the volume in one coat. Errmm.. no.. more like a few coats.

these are just some things i found that make putting the mascara on easier.
-lean your head back(for top lashes)
- lean your head forward (for bottom lashes)
- swivel the brush from side to side as you put each coat on

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2009 11:19:00 PM More reviews by law151

I love this mascara. It separates and gives my lashes awesome volume. The downside is that WAY too much product comes out on the brush; I have to scrape some off every time I pull it out. It also has a sort of flowery smell, which is odd for an eye product.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2009 7:44:00 PM More reviews by Lauraloo11

reall disappointed about this product. i was so excited when i brought it home after all the good reviews. i put it on m lashes and it was nothing but a big clumpy mess. did absolutely nothing just clumps... i dunno maybe i just got a bad tube. :( just gonna stick with lashblast then :)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2009 7:35:00 PM More reviews by abby5683

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It may have great reviews but for me it isn't great for me. Maybe is the curler... I honestly don't know. I take off some product on the rim of the product because it has too much on the brush. Once I tried it with all the product that the brush had and it made all my lashes clumpy and all together that i had to remove it all over. It works good once I remove some of the product.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2009 7:27:00 PM More reviews by mederu69

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Even though this is my favorite mascara I have EVER tried (and trust me, I've tried a lot over the past 8 years) I gave it an overall rating of 4 because it does have its downfalls, as does any product.

It does just was it says it will do: make your eyelashes full and lush and black. I already have naturally long eyelashes, so all I do is curl my lashes, apply two coats, and I really have no need for eyeliner! However, if you put on more than two coats, it will flake off a little by the end of the day. It's nothing that can't be fixed, though.

When it comes to price, this was pretty mid-range in drug store mascaras, but definitely still worth it. The worst problem I have with this mascara is the packaging. After several weeks of repeated use, the very top ring on the mascara tube will come off every now and then. When it does come off and I pull the applicator out, there's a big glob of mascara on the brush. It doesn't happen often enough to irritate me, and perhaps it was just a faulty tube.

Either way, this is still my favorite mascara, hands down. I will definitely buy this again and again!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2009 2:45:00 AM More reviews by melovesmakeup

I hate this mascara because I am allergic to it! Maybe it is the fragrance? It smells like roses. I don't know why they would add fragrance to a product for the eyes??

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2009 2:17:00 AM More reviews by HIYELLOW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am shocked by this mascara. I don't usually wear mascara but lately have started. I own over 50 Mac shadows and love to mix and match but the other day I applied this mascara. I didn't really think about it and then looked in the mirror a couple hours later. My lashes were SO long and SO black that I was taken aback. Two swipes of this do the trick for me. It separates the lashes. There is no clumping and the length it creates is fabulous. The brush is large and no allergic reactions. I like the price too: about $7. It is much better than the expensive brands.

EDIT: As of Jan 2012 I am disappointed. When I wrote my first review I was a mascara novice. My lashes are dark and thick on their own so I rarely wore mascara. Now I like mascara and since I wear this more often I notice how it clumps and flakes off immediately after I apply it. It's crazy and inconvenient. So I am going to try MAC's Studio Fix BoldBlack. It's supposed to be excellent.