November 28, 2014 | 1760 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2011 9:03:00 PM More reviews by RosB

I've been using this product for over a year now, since my beloved Prescriptives are no more. I have very pale skin and have found Tender Rose a good match to my skin tone. I like that I can build up my foundation, less during the day and more at night. Perhaps the most unexpected thing is the cost effectiveness of the product. My first pot lasted almost a year with near daily use.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/26/2011 10:40:00 AM More reviews by barbie54

I loved the way this looked on my skin. Nautral but medium coverage. Unfortunately after 3 days I got those nasty cystic pimples on my cheeks! Only on my cheeks, have been using the same blush that I've used for years, guess because my pores are bigger on my cheeks? Afraid to use just on the sides of my face...bound to get some on my cheeks so back to EL until I find something better. Never get break out with EL.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2011 9:26:00 AM More reviews by Moyave23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay, my first review here on MUA!
After reading so many good reviews on this product, I decided to try it out when I went to the UK, since Laura Mercier is only carried in two select stores here in Germany (a shame!)
I had high hopes for this product and almost expected to get them disappointed but no! - this is the best Mineral Powder I have tried so far.
My skin is quite fair, oily, acne-prone but sometimes with dry patches on my chin from my acne treatment.
Ususally, a foundation either is too dark for me, doesn't work on my oily skin or works on my oily skin but makes dry patches more visible.
I wear the shade Soft Porcelain and I'm amazed to say it is a pretty decent match, although a bit light for summer, with neutral undertones and it does not change colour one bit when worn!
For all you fair-skinned individuals out there: It is really pretty light and should suit even the lightest skintones!

Pros:
+ Does not look powdery, unless perhaps if you layer too much.
+ It has the fabled "glow" that is not obviously shimmery, just right
+ Provides medium coverage and can be used to spot-conceal
+ It is naturally looking and blends in with my skin
+ The staying-power is decent

Cons:
- If I build it up too much, it looks too shiny on my oily skin
- The shade selection could be improved. Now in the summer, I need to mix Soft Porcelain with a different Mineral Powder as Real Sand would be too dark.
- Price, obviously...

I apply it with a large powder brush and it works better than applying it with the F80 from Sigma, it gives a more natural result.
It can also be mixed with moisturizer to make a custom-blend tinted moisturizer.
If I can figure out how to get it here, I will certainly repurchase!

Update:
I unfortunately had to discontinue using this! I usually have my acne under control for most of the time, meaning just occasional spots here and there. After about 10 days of using this, I was breaking out everywhere, some smaller and some deeper zits and in areas where I never break out! I'm not usually fast to say: this and that breaks me out. But this is too much break-out for coinsidence.
I still LOVE the finish and I recommend it to anyone who is not break-out prone.
I have since moved on to a Mineral powder without Bismuth Oxychloride in it and I haven't had a spot since, so I suspect that ingredient.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/25/2011 1:36:00 AM More reviews by QWERTY2345

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't understand the rave reviews for this product. Where is the "glow" that others speak of? Upon application, it looks like any other powder foundation. It gives light to barely medium coverage - and that's when applied with a dense, kabuki brush. It looks powdery no matter how little I apply. I've been using this daily for a few weeks, so I've had more than enough time to experiment with it. I have very good skin to begin with and this doesn't make it look better. For a $40 powder, I expect extraordinary results and this isn't it. The Maybelline PureStay Powder Foundation gives better coverage and a natural finish for only $8.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2011 12:32:00 AM More reviews by bdawn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been on quest for the perfect mineral makeup for a couple of years and I have tried many different brands. I would say that the LM Mineral Powder is similar in quality to the Merle Norman mineral powder. Merle Norman is the highest quality of mineral foundation I have tried so far but I think LM is just as good. Merle Norman's mineral make-up is just slightly creamier but I think LM gives slightly better coverage. You can build up the coverage with Merle Norman but it starts to look too make-uppy then. The one thing I love about LM mineral make-up is the color selection. Pure Vanilla is a perfect match for my skin tone. This is the first mineral make-up that I haven't had to mix a couple of colors together or just put up with an uneven match. Merle Norman's mineral make-up colors are all slightly tinged pink which I hate. LM's pure vanilla is truly a golden beige color that matches my skin perfectly. The coverage is very good. I only use a little powder to achieve medium coverage. It stays on and doesn't change color as the day wears on (pur minerals turned orange on me....horrors!) and the shine is tolerable. I wasn't able to give this 5 lippies simply because I still have some of the same issues that I have with all mineral makeup. That is the shine or on better days I might call it a glow as I kind of have a love/hate relationship with mineral foundations in general. So some days that glowy look really bothers me and other days I like it. I also have a problem with the staying power of this mineral foundation but I don't really think this is the fault of the product so much as it is just my type of skin. My skin leans a little to the oily side and all mineral makeup brands seem to fade a lot on me. I probably am better suited to liquid foundations and I do wear liquid foundation when it is important to me that my makeup stay put all day long. That being said I do like the way LM mineral foundation wears and I even like the way it fades. It doesn't change color and it doesn't become splotchy, it just gently fades away while remaining natural looking. If I were recommending mineral foundations to someone I would tell people with golden or yellow skin tones to go with Laura Mercier and people with pink or neutral tones to go with Merle Norman. Both are very high quality mineral powders that wear beautifully. Bare minerals has a great color selection but the powder is drying and has no lasting power. Smashbox Halo has the poorest selection of colors, it doesn't offer much coverage and it's horribly shiny. Pur minerals..oh my God! the worst I have ever tried. Threw the whole starter kit in the garbage and I NEVER throw away new cosmetics. Laura Mercier is the best for me so far and I actually don't think I'm going to find anything better.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2011 11:57:00 AM More reviews by Les281

UPDATE: from reading other reviewers I think this was causing me to breakout horribly around my cheeks. Discontinued using.
I was using BE matte for a bit I stopped b/c i was convinced no mineral foundation can give me the coverage I like which is med-full coverage. This is buildable!! I always love sharing how I apply it. I use my sephora mineral powder brush #45 & i saw a youtube guru give a tip of how to apply mineral foundation. I dampen my brush w/ water (i have a spray bottle) and swril my brush on the lid and tap off the excess and dab it on my face then swirl. I finish it off w/ my elf makeup mist & set and that helps control the shine and make your skin look like your not wearing any makeup. The finish is gorgeous! One word Luminous. My oil still peeps through late in the day but its definetly controlled. Will repurchase!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2011 1:14:00 AM More reviews by luvsick99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Much better than BE, which I used for many years. Powder blends well, it's almost creamy, light but buildable coverage. Not much for color selection, tho I was lucky to match to Tender Rose.. which does NOT coordinate w/the pressed compact named Tender Rose, or any other for that matter, infortunately. I used for a while, got bored, sought something better, only to come back & realize how wonderful it is! I use w/LM finishing power & it's a great match. I have oily skin.. it doesn't really dimish it (maybe a bit?) but certainly doesn't add to it. Quite frankly, nothing really diminshes my oily skin.. I just blot mid-day w/rice paper & add more finishing power. I generally don't need to add more mineral power foundation throughout the day..unless I go into evening & need a re-fresher. I don't think it does much for pore minimization. Tho I believe that's what primers for. (Better than BE) Travel-friendly spill-proof container. Could be less expensive, tho it doesn't break the bank. All around pretty good & I havent found better yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:48:00 AM More reviews by jiji69

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i have soft porcelain color, used almost a half of it. totally love it. But here in Florida, I m keep getting tan. Soft porcelain is too light for me now.
Anybody want to exchange her color with me?

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2011 1:27:00 PM More reviews by MsBrightside18

This is a pretty good mineral foundation. If you have the money (about £32) then it's worth trying. This was the first mineral powder i've tried and after taking a few weeks to get used to it, I began noticing that my skin was improving and now I love this product. I only gave it 4/5 because I have very oily skin so after a while I look greasy and I'm not too keen on the sparkles in it either...and the price is very very high. But definitely worth a try. Would I repurchase? Yes...but first I'm going to dip my toe into other slighly less costly mineral make up brands.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2011 1:11:00 PM More reviews by kimberniki

I really like this loose mineral powder- I'm on my second container... This is one of the few powders I have found that matches my skin tone well- Tender Rose... I am fair with pink undertones. It's difficult to find a match as most companies seem to have more yellow-y tones; which look horrible on me. My main skin concern is congestion- so I've been pleased to find that this product does not clog my pores or cause breakouts. I wanted better coverage from the product and was pleased to find a SA at Sephora who turned me on to their mineral makeup brush. Being a skeptic, I thought, how is this brush gonna do a better job that the one I had been using from Bare Minerals (kabuki). The Sephora brush made all the difference- gave me better coverage and a more polished look. I also started using the Laura Mercier Mineral Primer in the powder form. That stuff is awesome too- really helped the loose powder set well and more staying power!! If you know you colors and feel comfortable- search eBay!! I got the primer powder (colorless) on there for $10 cheaper and free shipping...