Burt's Bees Deep Cleansing Cream with Soap Bark and Chamomile

3.6

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, sunflower oil, stearic acid(vegetable fat) vegetable glycerin, emulsifying wax, coconut oil, sodium borate (natural borax), cetyl alcohol, silica, glucose, witch hazel extract, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, chamomile extract, echinacea (coneflower) extract, soap bark extract, cocoa butter, rosemary leaf extract, tocopherol (Vitamin E), lemon oil, cilantro oil, tarragon oil, lavandin oil, jasmine oil, xanthan gum(natural thickener), sucrose stearate (sugar emulsifier), menthol, glucose oxidase, and lactoperoxidase (natural preservative).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have mixed feelings about this cleanser. While I felt like it really did "deep clean" it wasn't as effective as I would've liked and it was a bit harsh on my face. I liked the feeling it gave though of cleaning my pores.

It was hard to wash off - a wash cloth or a good shower rinse is a must to remove it. I was afraid of product build up in my pores because of this. I may keep it around for occasional cleanings when I have breakouts.

I'm returning this cleanser because, put simply, it doesn't cleanse! None of my makeup was removed after washing with this cleanser, and for $8, I'd rather go back to my lovely Eucerin Gentle Hydrating Cleanser that takes every trace of makeup off while leaving my skin soft. The Burt's Bees smelled nice, felt nice and tingly on my skin, and had a comfy creamy consistency, but it simply won't work for me, I need something to take all the dirt and makeup off. So back to Target this goes!

This is my HG facial wash. Nothing has ever worked this well with my skin. HOWEVER... the menthol they put in this (wtf??) is awful. It's because of the menthol that I occasionally take a break from using this. But since nothing works as well on my skin I'm going to go back to it because some other products I've been trying have messed with my skin, and I'm more than willing to put up with the menthol smell/tingling sensation if it means my skin will look awesome. I actually don't really mind the smell, it just irritates my eyes a bit.

This product is a cream cleanser that is VERY gentle despite the crappy menthol they've added to it. It's so gentle that it's the only thing that would calm my skin down a few months ago when it freaked out and was so dry and irritated it was painful. Olive oil didn't even help. I usually massage this product over my face with a soft washcloth. My blackheads and pore size are greatly reduced when I use this cleanser and my acne is almost nonexistent as well. I won't use this around my eyes because of the menthol, so I use another cleanser to help remove my eye makeup. This cleanser takes off my makeup well, but then I don't wear crazy-thick foundation, just medium to light coverage foundation. Also I find the tube very convenient for traveling.

I wish the Burt's Bee's folks would take this menthol crap out of an otherwise outstanding product. I deducted 1 lippie because of this.

***UPDATE: Okay, I had to give the 1 lippie back! After taking yet another break and using a few other cleansers that didn't do nearly as well on my skin I've had it! I don't know why I ever stray from this. It's incredible. I'm still irritated that they insist on adding menthol to this amazing cleanser, but like I said earlier it's a small price to pay for incredible-looking skin. Yes, Paula Begoun does not give this a good rating because of the menthol and a few other ingredients she says are potentially irritating to the skin, but this is the best cleanser I have ever used (and I've used dozens). It works great on my skin, and that's what counts. I've also turned other people onto this who were amazed with how well it works and say it's the best cleanser they've ever used, too.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

LOVE IT.

As a word of caution: if you are sensitive to menthol, this cleanser is NOT for you. I have no idea why they include it (there's no pragmatic reason), but there you are.

My skin is very sensitive to chemicals, and the only cleansers I have been able to use the past three years have been from Korres, Boscia, Burt's Bees, and Cetaphil. The first two lines are really a strain on my college budget- I made do for the longest time with samples, and then travel-sized containers, and then finally jumped to Burt's Bees on a leap of faith. (Cetaphil works just fine for me, but in winter I find it to be much too drying... and honestly, it doesn't do all that much for my skin. Kind of just cleanses and that's it- no other benefits.)

The BB Deep Cleansing Cream has been my favorite cleanser for quite a few months now. I feel that it makes my skin glowy and calm. For reference, I do not feel the need to use foundation, only translucent powder and some under-eye concealer, and I think it is due in part to my use of this product.

The best way of using it, in my opinion, is either to dampen your face very slightly before applying- or, even better- to use a modified oil cleansing method. By that I mean applying it rather liberally straight to a dry face, allowing it to sit for a bit, and then using a warm washcloth, or splashes of warm water, to remove it. If necessary, use a toner after, but my skin is slightly dry so I don't.

Because you should never use it on your eyes- the menthol will burn them- a separate makeup remover is necessary. I use either Pond's Cold Cream or, more often, jojoba oil, but I hardly wear much eye makeup daily, so this isn't a huge issue for me.

I'm very surprised that this has such negative reviews. But to each her own!

I bought this - my first BB cleanser - on offer. No wonder. Despite the promise of soothing chamomile, this product is HARSH! It felt like smearing toothpaste on my skin, drying it out (even though I'm on the oily side of normal) and making it feel tight and bumpy. After persevering with it a few times as an a.m. facewash, I tried it as a shower cream. Then, when my skin could stand that aggressive minty tingle no longer, I used it to clean my bathroom surfaces. One lippie for the natural ingredients.

I absolutely love this cleanser it leaves my skin feeling fresh and clean. Bad thing is that I cant use it on my eyes but thats alright. i will definitely re-purchase.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I think i will buy this again! The good : it smells great, has a cooling effect, very minty, natural product, easy to use, last a long time, moisturizing, overall a good product in my opinion! THE BAD : You cannot use this cleanser on your eyes! It will sting very badly (happened to me once on accident, never again!!!) you will have to use a makeup remover but hey, a lot of girls use makeup remover regularly anyway right...? Also... actually i can't think of anything else bad to say about this cleanser. It is worth the money because one container will last a very long time, a small amount goes a long way! I definitely recommend trying this stuff at least once :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I prefer to use this in the morning and my Nature's Gate In the Beginning Cleanser at night to remove my tinted moisturizer/eye makeup. I like the tingly feeling this stuff gives you. Cleans decently. Not my absolute fave, but I love that it's natural and it feels really nice. Like I said, better as a morning cleanser (where you just have to wash off a bit of oil, maybe some sweat) than a night cleanser (where you have to get the day's makeup/grime off of your face). Not bad, but not the best cleanser ever, either.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I've been using this cleanser for about a month now and I've actually become slightly less impressed by it. It has seemed to not clean my skin very well and also leaves my sin feeling a bit dry and oddly filmy.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have been using this product for over a year now and works great as a makeup remover. I use it for my first wash at night to remove my makeup followed by Alba Botanica Coconut Milk Facial Wash. It tingles a bit like Noxema but not as strong.