Philosophy The Present Clear Makeup

3.4

Water (aqua), Cyclomethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Lysozyme, Sodium Citrate, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (lavender), Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

I really like this stuff! I hate wearing foundation or heavy powder, and this is great for evening my skin out with a little bit of blush over it. I also have pretty oily skin, and this seems to help with that. So far, I've only used it in winter weather, so I'm interested to see how it holds up in the summer heat and humidity.

on 3/13/2008 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the first makeup primer that I have tried and I didn't feel like it make a difference in keeping my makeup on the entire day at all. It does make my skin softer for makeup application, but it doesnt do anything for the actual makeup application. My makeup looks cakey after applying it on after the primer. By the way, make sure you dont use too much... if you do, it becomes pretty greasy. You should definitely wait at least 2 minutes before applying your makeup. I dont recommend this, and will continue my search on finding another primer.

on 3/9/2008 5:57:00 PM

Maybe I used too much (I'm sure I did), but this dried to a powdery, unnatural finish. Putting liquid foundation over it made for a cakey, horrible mess that I had to remove completely. I can't see what this is useful for except perhaps very oily but otherwise perfect skin.

on 2/27/2008 12:53:00 PM

I was excited to use this sample, as I used this product for a while 10 years ago and at the time had no place to purchase it again, and then forgot about it. This time, I used it for about a week. Put on a tiny amount, and it did make my skin look soft and finished. I just dusted a bit of MAC Mineralize over top, and my face looked good all day. By day 5, I was getting oily around my nose, and my pores were looking clogged. I had to stop using this and slap on the Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask to get the stuff out. I didn't have this problem with Smashbox Photo Finish. Oh well. I missed the pine tree smell, but I didn't wait 33 years to get rid of my oily nose only to get it back in a week.

on 2/27/2008 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I got this as a sample. I was very pleased to find an oil-free primer that wasn’t as expensive as Smashbox’s Light (oil-free) Primer ($36 for 1 oz), this one is $25 for 2 oz (not cheap, but not as bad as it could be). The Present can also be used as a morning or night moisturizer on its own, and claims to fill lines and wrinkles; I only used it as a primer over my regular moisturizer (currently Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel) and I don't have any wrinkles, yet, so I can't comment on that product claim. The texture feels a bit thick at first but blends over moisturizer thin, light and very easily. My skin is oily, break-out prone, but also sensitive. You wait 2 full minutes for the primer to set/dry. After the two minutes, my skin has a velvety soft, smooth feel and a matte finish (which I really like). My mineral makeup already glided on easily, I did not notice any additional ease of application. However it was easier to cover blemishes with makeup when I use the primer. The biggest pro for this product was that my makeup lasted longer and stayed “fresh” longer, keeping oil at bay for several hours (8-10), rather than 4-6 without primer. I have nothing negative to say about this product! I have already purchased a full-size tube. (And I like that is comes in a tube. Better for hygienic purposes and for travel.)

on 2/19/2008 5:40:00 AM

there is a good possiblitliy i have been using this product wrong, but if i have to wait more than 10 minutes for it to dry so my foundation dosnt turn into white gunk, then its simoky not worth it. Everytime i have tried to use it, it makes my foundation damn near impossible to get looking normal. It clumps in weird spots and never looks smooth. but like i said, maybe im just using it wrong.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

This stuff is amazing! I was skeptical because really, that sounds like it's too good to be true. I've used it under makeup and alone. I don't really like it under my liquid clinique foundation because for some reason it doesn't blend in as well. but I really like it under mineral makeup powder. it really does even out my skin tone and minimize my pores. it seems to get rid of redness too. a problem I was having with the MMU is that I'd get shiny at the end of the day. this keeps me matte and gorgeous!! I would definitely buy it again, it's amazing. no breakouts for my sensitive skin either. on the weekends, I just wear this and concealer!

on 2/17/2008 2:56:00 AM

Ok I got a sample of this with my sephora purchase. I cant say much about this in regards to using under make up. BUT if i put this on when Im planning on going barefaced, it truly make my naked face look more clear and perfected. It seems to shrink my pores and as someone else mentioned add a sort of filter to my skin. So if you are someone who likes to go bare and without make up this may actually help your natural skin look more flawless.

on 2/4/2008 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

i got this to use as a primer because it claims to smooth out pores and uneven skin texture. Well it didn't do much of anything other than coating my face with another layer of un-needed moisturizer. I have some small pitted acne scars and this didn't do anything to fill them in. Other primers i've tried worked much better for me, such as DHC Velvet Skin and Bare Essential's PrimeTime.

on 1/29/2008 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I usually have acne-free skin, but I broke out with huge acne after using this product; acne was on my forehead, nose, and below my lip. The product actually works well as a primer and creates a nice canvas for foundation. However, I was disappointed when I broke out.