September 30, 2014 | 1090 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 5:30:00 AM More reviews by pmakraki

I love love love love this.
My skin is combination dry with stubborn blackheads and the occasional red spot.
I do it only at night only because I think that it's enough!
I mix in a bottle 1 part EVOO, 1 part castor oil and 1 part almond oil because these are the oils I always happen to have around!
I massage a lot onto dry face and then put a warm towel on my face for a couple of times.
And that's it! It works like a charm!
My nose is finally, after 20 years clear. Completely clear!
The skin tone is even and the red spots are gone overnight, my face feels always moisturised.
I'm trying this method with KP on my arms and I'll review if good results will happen

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by xxgoodnevil17xx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for 6 months now and I love it! I started by just using olive oil, but not I mix with castor oil at times. I love how you can use whatever oils suit your skin or preference, and how easy it is to do! I have rosacea and this is great for leaving my skin balanced and not irritated like almost every cleanser out there does. I recommended it to so many friends and family and they've all fallen in love with it too! It is also a lot cheaper than having to buy a bunch of cleansers, since this even doubles for a makeup remover. I do it between 3-4 times a week (any more and I'd think it would make my skin worse instead), but thats the recommended amount and it works perfect for me! I hope more people try this natural way to deep cleanse and hydrate your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2011 10:54:00 PM More reviews by nico678

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm being WAY hasty in writing this so I will definitely update because I won't usually write a review until I have had adequate time with a product. But I just did this and holy freaken smokes my skin looks better than it maybe ever has. I have no idea if this will break me out or the result subside, etc.. all I know is that I did this in the bath, got out and dried my face, moisturized with some jojoba and argan oil and looked in the mirror and almost cried. My skin has been difficult whether it is breakouts, long lasting cysts, long lasting hyperpigmentation, dehydration from acne treatments, ugh. I really needed something nourishing and effective and all signs seem to point to the OCM. It really did suck the gunk out of the pores on my nose and I haven't seen my skin look so even and plump in ages. I am longing for the day when I can go outside without makeup (for the record, my skin isn't terrible terrible I am just dramatic about it). I thought I might be jinxing the results of this by jumping the gun and writing a review, but I have emotionally suffered from my skin and think that sharing successes with others is important as you all have done for me. I used EVOO, Jojoba, a lil grapeseed oil, and a lil castor oil. I would like to buy some sunflower to use in place of EVOO, but this mixture sure felt AMAZING on my skin. I have also been washing my face in the AM with honey and aloe for a couple of weeks and people have told me I look younger. Anyways, I don't plan on doing this daily as I tend to overdue things and reek havoc on my skin, I'll prob do this 2-3x a week. I will for sure update after month's time. Best of luck to all.

EDIT: Okay so I still like this but am a bit weary about it now. I have been playing with different oils and still need to find the proper balance for my skin. I did have a breakout recently but I don't know it this caused it. My skin is oilier after doing this, this may remove plugs but my nose seems to fill up again pretty quickly (gross, sorry). So I sometimes use the mint julep mask on my t-zone after doing the OCM, that seems to help. I will say that I LOVE doing the OCM and having plugs just pop right out into my hands, it's the weirdest feeling. No squeezing, no scrubbing, nothing abrasive, just plop out comes a plug. It gets plugs I didn't know were there and my have potentially turned into something. So I am sporadically doing this when my skin feels a bit congested as an at-home facial.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by eddiecatt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I'd been doing this for about a month, and while I liked the way it made my skin feel, I was disappointed that it didn't seem to have the pore-clearing effect on me that it had on other people--no popping plugs for me. But after reading (in Kristen Ma's Beauty: Pure and Simple book) that dehydrated skin hangs on to its blackheads and whiteheads, I obsessively moisturized for five days, then tried it again. Well, wow! If your skin is dehydrated (even if it is oily, it might be dehydrated), try drinking lots of water and moisturizing conscientiously--you'll see a big difference!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by adriennesmith

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really excited to try this method to clear up some of the clogged pores on my face. I used a combination of 25% castor oil, 50% jojoba oil, and 25% grapeseed oil. It was amazing seeing the gunk coming out of my pores so quite naturally I thought this was going to be the way I would cleanse my skin forever. WRONG!!!! My skin looked good for about 2 days then all hell broke loose. My face erupted in cystic bumps everywhere and my skin became extremely dry to the point of peeling. I stopped the OCM and eventually my skin improved. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment because I tried this cleansing method once again and I experienced the same terrible breakout. Well I've learned that everything doesn't work for everybody. Now it's time for me to try to get my skin under control once again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 8:51:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) for a week now. If you have any questions about this review you can PM me:)

My skin is not in bad shape, but it isn't great either - my biggest gripe is texture. The pores on my nose are the most problematic area on my face - they are constantly full, lumpy, visible and large. Even if I find something that shrinks them a little they still manage to re-fill rather quickly. I am also afflicted with pores (albeit less problematic) in between my brows and on my chin area. While my cheeks aren't that bad - they are there also. The best I could ever hope for is temporary shrinkage - long term solutions for my pores simply did not exist. However, I am always on the lookout for a solution. I'm very self conscious of my skin since I do like to take care of myself and take pride in my appearence.

I do not have acne, so my recommendations obviously will not address that issue.

I lean on the norm. / dry side. I do have a little mid-day shine but I am not oily.

I tried the OCM with Castor Oil and Olive Oil (cold pressed). I used 3 parts Olive Oil to 1 part Castor Oil, I mixed it in my hand (I won't commit to bottling it as of yet). I massaged it in with my fingertips paying special attention to my problem areas. I went from 3 minutes of facial massage, at first, up to 5 minutes. While I was massaging in I motivated myself to continue by thinking of how nice it would be to have beautiful pore-free skin:) It will not take much motivating if you are like me and have little time for spa-like skin treatments, it will feel luxurious!

When I started nearing the end I ran the faucet to get my tap water hot and put a facial towel underneath. After a quick wringing out I placed the hot towel on my skin, with the mixture still on my face, and allowed the steam to penetrate. Once the towel cooled and I removed it for round two I noticed an immediate glow. I attribute this to the oils and the facial massage stimulating my skin's circulation. I did not use the towel to remove anything as the oils had already absorbed into my skin and there wasn't anything to remove! I applied the facial towel once again and when I removed it this time, I gently used it to buff my skin across my chin and nose (do this gently!).

Sorry if this is overshare:

While I did not feel a lot of sebum plugs coming out of my skin during the facial massage I did notice them coming out throughout the day. I noticed an immdiate difference in my pores - they looked less full. I kept up the OCM through the week. Once, I put in too much of the Castor Oil - it dried me out. I have done a lot of research on the OCM before committing to it, and this is pretty common - keep your portions of Castor Oil small if you are leaning dry like me.

Once I got Now brand Jojoba Oil I made a mixture of 3 parts Jojoba oil and 1 part Castor Oil. I have read that Jojoba Oil mimics the natural oils that our skin produces - therefore, it is the most suitable oil to draw out the impurities. I tried it today and there is less slip in this oil - it was still nice to use during the facial massage though. There are so many variants of the OCM out there and I am still finding what works for me.

So far, my pores look smaller, are a lot less filled with junk, my sebum plugs are easier to remove ( I have not had to pick them - some just come out after I do the OCM on their own throughout the day), and my skin's texture and look have improved. At the moment, this works better than any routine I have used before.

As a bonus, my nails are going through a little growth spurt since I started OCM! I am very pleased to see so many positive things happening as a result of using this method.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2011 1:47:00 PM More reviews by mrsfnulnu

I am surprised I am writing this review. I had heard about this method mostly on this site, looking for solutions to my entrenched and chronic blackheads on my forehead, nose, chin, and part of my cheeks. Mind you, I do not have acne, and most people would not notice my blackheads from a regular distance--but up close and without any makeup they were noticeable and had always been so since my teenage years. They were also "prolific"-large, containing massive amounts of gunk, and would re-fill within a few hours after extraction. Nevertheless, I always had a feeling that instead of being too oily, my skin might actually be too dry, even though it looked positively shiny every day. No matter what I tried (drugstore, upper end cosmetics counter, MD Forte glycolic all levels, Rx from derm for differin, Retin-A, Renova) my blackheads never went away and my t-zone was crazy, crazy oily. I could go through three or four of those Clean & Clear blue oil absorbing sheets and still have some oil left on my face.

So it was with some skepticism and caution I tried the oil cleansing method. I have been completely and utterly blown away. I started about 2 weeks ago with a 50/50 mixture of castor oil and grapeseed oil, with a couple drops of tea tree oil thrown in for good measure. Outside of the oil mixture, I have only used a traditional cleanser (Purpose liquid) on my eye area to remove eye makeup during the last almost 2 weeks. My skin (I live in MI where it is dry, cold, and dry...and cold) has not looked this good in a long, long time. The blackheads on my chin area have virtually disappeared. I am not exaggerating. The blackheads to the side of my nose (inner cheek, near nose but not on nose) are virtually gone. The blackheads on my nose are diminishing and much less noticeable. Ones on my forehead, which I used to mostly get around my hairline, are virtually gone. I cannot explain this, I do not understand it, but I cannot argue with it. I do my cleansing usually twice a day, sometimes I "warm up" my face with a hot towel before hand, sometimes I don't. I massage the oil mixture for a few minutes, then apply a hot towel over my face (repeat the towel application a few times), gently wipe, and then I'm done. I have not felt any of the pore gunk that others talked about coming out as I massage, but the gunk is going somewhere, since it obviously is no longer stuck in my skin. I can't believe how well this is working for me. The daily oil slick is almost not there anymore. I have not been using blotting powder, oil absorbing sheets, or anything else like that and the shine I used to perpetually have on my face is not there anymore beyond a healthy "glow." I am 40 years old, have a few tiny wrinkles, a few broken capillaries, and now only a few noticeable blackheads on my skin. I am happy. This is not hyperbole, and I have no dog in this fight. I just thought someone out there might be encouraged to try this method if they are struggling with stubborn blackheads. Crazy, but true. Give it a try.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2011 9:56:00 AM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been doing OCM method for over ten years. I found that it is not for everyone and I do go through spells where I stop for a few months and then start again.

I think the real key to success to OCM is to not do it as your stand alone cleansing method. I think that by using OCM everyday, you will start to see breakouts. I have found that the best mix for my combo/Sensitive breakout prone skin is 25% Castor, 50% Sunflower oil, 25% Grapeseed. Sunflower oil is probably the best for acne/Clog prone folks. It's "0" on the comedogenic scale. Grapeseed is also a Very Light Oil that has Antibacterial properties. I also add a few drops of Tea Tree oil and sometimes Oil of Oregano in the summer which is great for acne. I only do the OCM method at night and typically only 3 Nights out of the week. The rest of the time I use a Detergent free cleanser that is gentle. The OCM for me is ONLY to get Clogged Pores unclogged. The oils and doing a deep massage on my face expels those suckers out. I have never relied on this as My only Cleansing method. I consider this a treatment/Home facial. I think this is why it works for me, despite my breakout prone skin.

Here's how I do it:
Steam face for a few minutes using a hot wash cloth to open pores.
Take a few tablespoons of the oil mix and rub and massage into face for 5 minutes, the longer the better. Let in Penetrate!
Take hot cloth and place on face to steam again and loosen the gunk from the face (The castor will pull out impurities).
I repeat the steaming about twice more and then using a Microfiber cloth I gentle remove the oil residue. Then I follow with a Witch Hazel toner and moisturize. In the morning my face is soft, smooth and any clogged pores are now unplugged.

As I said, I think if you treat the OCM as a Facial treatment a few times a week instead of a daily cleansing method, people might find it works well for them. It took many years of experimenting but for me this is the best method. The rest of the week I just use a gentle non-detergent cleanser like Purpose cleansing gel. It keeps my jawline and cheeks clear of Clogged pores. Between the OCM and Enzyme masks, I am able to keep my skin acne free and happy.

29 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by arvetka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this method. I found reviews here in summer and Iīve been using it for 5 months or so now.
My skin isnīt oily...I have oily t-zone but nothing terrible. My main problem are blackheads and clogged pores on my lower cheeks, scars from cystic acne I suffered from last year.
Anyways...this oil cleansing method works great for me - when I donīt do it too often. Every day is too much for me, my skin gets dry and flaky plus some new bumps show up.
I usually do OCM three times a week now and Iīm very happy about it. I use 50/50 castor oil and flaxseed oil (this mix is less drying) or 50/50 castor oil and sunflower oil (I find sunflower oil more drying but it cleans better as well).
I put a small amount of oil on my damp face, massage it for a minute and wash it off with a couple of cotton balls. Then I cover my face with hot wet towel for a minute and repeat.
I usually wash my face with Lush Coal Face soap afterwards. When I feel my skin is too tight I only use Bioderma Sebium Micelle Solution. I always moisturize after.
This method melts my blackheads, makes my pores smaller and my skin is glowing and smooth.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2011 11:50:00 AM More reviews by artsypirate

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

First I want to start off by saying I don't really get acne only an occasional pimple here and there. When I tried this a week ago my face was totally clear except for some stubborn white heads on my nose, chin, and cheeks.

I've had a problem with whiteheads for *years*. I've tried everything to get rid of them. Facial steaming, scrubs, overpriced pore strips, and I regularly used a skin care tool for awhile but NONE of that got rid of all of them like the OCM did. Within the first 10 seconds of massaging the oil onto my face the whiteheads dissolved completely! My skin has been smooth and whitehead free without any more treatments for a week now.

I highly recommend if you get whiteheads.