Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

3.3

oil

I started out very excited about he oil cleansing method. I liked the way the process felt & the way my skin felt afterwards and it actually seemed to darken my skin color (which I liked because I am very pale naturally)
However, in my case, there were some real negatives two - I suddenly gained new white bumps around my eyes, and despite everyone else's experiences that say it reduces wrinkles - my skin actually seemed more stretched out and there was an obvious increase in the appearance of wrinkles on my face.
I really wanted to stick with it but the degree in which wrinkles became more evident was quite disturbing.
I am thrilled for those this works for but doesn't seem to work for me.
P.S. I used a combination of EVOO, Castor Oil, and a bit of Coconut Oil. My skin felt great - did not dry out or break out but negatives above don't seem worth it.

I found out about the OCM online and through MUA. Because I already had mild but persistent acne I thought I'd give it a try as I had nothing to lose.

How wrong was I.

This protocol landed me in the dermatologists office with a break out unlike anything I have experienced since my teens. I could easily qualify as a "Before" candidate on one of those Proactiv commercials. We're not talking mild acne anymore.
I didn't give up right away: I went online, did my due diligence....tried different oils, doing it every other day, steaming vs. not steaming, etc.
It didn't make a difference.
Castor oil and olive combined gave me hard waxy plugs. Castor and grapeseed gave me severe cystic acne.
Castor alone didn't do much.

I also think the trial and error nature of the method makes it less cost effective than most would have you believe. One oil doesn't work so you buy another. *That* one only comes in a jumbo sized bottle etc. My vanity is now a cluttered wasteland of OCM duds.

If you've never tried this method before and you have oily, sensitive or acne prone skin, my advice would be to proceed with extreme caution.

I am currently take Vitamin B5 for my acne & noticed it starting to work after this first month. However, using the OCM completely set me back! I was blaming my cystic breakout on everything else I could think of because I really wanted this to work me & yes my skin did feel rather soft. I am in complete horror as to what this has done to my skin. HUGE CYSTIC UNDER THE SKIN ACNE THAT WILL NOT GO AWAY! I am doing everything in my power to clear up what this has done to my skin.

Well the jury's still out on this one. I've been doing the ocm for a few weeks now. I have good days and bad days, but I've had really bad skin for the last year or so, so thats nothing new. On the good days, my skin looks better than I can ever remember it, plump, glowing & smooth and its taken away a lot of the redness and irritation I get. On the bad days I have a few spots. Now this could be nothing to do with the ocm at all as my skin was bad anyway. For the benefits i've had from this I'm definatley going to keep going with it as overall there's been a definate improvement and my face looks much calmer than it did (even my bf commented on it and he never notices anything). I've been using an aromatherapy blend which contains grapeseed oil, chamomile, vitamin E and mandarin oil. I was terrified of putting oil on my face but after reading all the good and bad reviews I decided things couldn't really get much worse and I'm glad I decided to give it a go but I am worried that the good effects I've had wont last forever. I might update this in a few weeks.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

If this method works for any one- you are very lucky!! I will NEVER try this madness again as I had a breakout that was so massive that I didn't want to leave my house... ever! or at least the madness went away!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Okay, so let me just start out by saying that I have tried just about every cleanser known to woman kind. I never got the results I desired so badly; I remember Laura Mercier cleansing oil working very well with my skin, which is sensitive and pretty normal for the most part. I had clogged pores always though, just looked blah, no glow. Enter OCM, WOW is all I have to say!! You have to be smart about this though and listen to your skin, as well as take care of it from the inside out. I use what most everyone else here uses 1/3 cold pressed castor oil, 1/3 EVOO, but also 1/3 almond oil as well. I have't read people using the almond oil as much. My skin just drinks it, my pores are cleared out (serious sebum plugs first few washes) and through out the day my skin GLOWS and is so dewy! All I need is moisturizer (CeraVe) because oil does't moisturizer it just locks in the moisture already there. I do choose to use a little Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector Daily All-In-One B.B, for that added protection. I also use a diluted mix of distilled water and ACV on my face in the morning after I splash with warm water and pat dry. It just seems to shrink my pores, even my skin tone even more and make sure there is no build up of oils in my pores. I think that's where a lot of people make a mistake with this, and think it's breaking them out. Use the ACV and a nice balanced mixture, always LESS castor oil, and massage, massage, massage. I also do a brown sugar EVOO scrub all over including my face once a week, and a turmeric and lemon paste for spot treatment (hyperpigmentation from hormones after having my baby.) If you do this right it works beautifully. Coconut oil is a great mix for OCM, virgin, cold pressed, as all the oils should be if used for cosmetic purposes. I also oil pull with it, and take a tablespoon a day internally. I drink "golden tea" twice a day. Never had better skin, I have skin I have only dreamed about as of now.
*Edit* I can only use this method twice a week. Also I can ONLY use organic hemp seed oil, camellia oil broke me out so bad, as well as EVOO, and apricot kernal oil, just about every oil actually. I had gorgeous glowing skin for 2 weeks, then BAM cystic acne, and all around my jawline and neck. I haven't had skin that awful since I was 16. I thought my acne days were behind me, and then I went to OCM and realized yes, I do still have acne prone sensitive skin. I was just so use to not having problems with my skin I thought I could use anything I wanted on it and play around with oils, and glycerin, and masks everyday. WOW how wrong I was. Now my skin is slowly recovering thanks to Chagrin Valley grapeseed and shea complexion soap, hemp seed oil (only twice a week with ocm) and asprin toner daytime. But what really turned my skin around is Wallgreens alpha hydroxy 8% cream (will write a separate review.) If I can call anything my hg it is that! So I guess it just goes to show, once you have sensitive skin you'll always have sensitive skin. I hope this helps if you had this same experience with ocm and thought you were doomed!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

AHHHH! This expresses my current frustration with the worst breakout I've had in over a decade.

To be fair, it started out beautifully. I figured that since I am in my 30s I should start adding a little more oils and lotions to my routine. I have always had breakouts, but they have been mainly clogged pores in my late 20s and 30's. The first two weeks were wonderful, I experimented with EVOO, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil. They all worked out well.

I finally stopped using OCM last week, about 4 weeks in because I started noticing red bumps on my forehead. And this week, all hell broke lose...and then some. Really bad inflamed breakouts all over my face, but especially my forehead. I don't know if I was too zealous or if I am purging, but I am not ok with this! If I need to purge for weeks on end, then I simply can't do it. The acne stresses me out too much.

For now, I am just struggling to get rid of this breakout. Maybe after this traumatic experience is behind me I might attempt it in small does again, because I loved my skin feeling so soft....but so not worth it for me if it causes me to breakout this badly again!

Glad it worked for some people....but unfortunately not for me =(

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have found my new perfect way to 'wash' my face - with OIL! Who knew!

I am 35 with dryish skin and a few fine lines. I have never had acne and I have found that sweet almond oil alone works best for me, there is no need for me to use castor oil. This is because castor oil is very drying, and also good for drawing out spots (which I don't have). Castor oil is recommended for oily, blemished skin, however.

I did try the OCM with a drop of castor oil, but SAO alone is good for me, as I have mature dry skin. I have also used avocado oil, but I prefer the thinner consistency of SAO. I buy me sweet almond oil in Asda for about 2 in the cosmetics aisle. I bought my avocado oil in Booths for about 5.

I do not pre-mix batches, instead I merely pour it out of the bottle into clean hands, warm it in my hands slightly, then massage my face for about 20 minutes.
This is very relaxing and I do feel the tiny plugs popping out - they feel like grains of sand. I wipe them on the back of my hand as they appear and keep massaging. It is very satisfying to see instant results!
As I have redness on my cheeks, I do not use a boiling hot washcloth to steam my face, I use a lukewarm one. After 2 steams, all the oil is removed. I do not rub, but wipe the oil off my face. The OCM is cheap and wonderfully relaxing.

Afterwards, my skin feels like it does when I have had a salon facial, soft, plump and hydrated. I do the OCM a couple of times a week, and I and others have noticed my skin is more radiant. I haven't yet noticed any reduction in my cheek redness/rosacea/thread veins yet, so am planning on trying adding rosehip oil or hempseed oil to the mix.

OCM is the best skin care secret on the market, mostly because it's the reverse of what we are told about our skin and its needs. OCM changed the way I look at skin and definitely gave me a new perspective on not spending a fortune and still getting the best possible results.

See this blog for a bit more info:

I have been using the OCM for a little over 4 months. I use a mixture of equal parts castor oil and extra virgin olive oil. I mix it up, keep it in a pretty jar, in a dark cool place. When I first started I had awful acne all over my face. I didn't have a ton of cystic acne, but when I did get some every few months, it would leave deep scars. I had tried everything, and switched to completely organic store bought products before trying this. Nothing worked.

Now, once a day, I do the OCM. A lot of articles I read said to use a generous amount of oil, but I've found if I use a smaller amount it works better. I spread it over my face and then massage for a minute, and then let it sit for about 5. I massage for another 5 and then wash my hands. I use thick wash cloths, and run them in the hottest water I can stand. I drape it over my face and lean back, letting the cloth cool. I massage again for about 30 seconds, and this is usually when I feel my face getting clean. I steam again, and before wiping, clean and warm the rag again. If I feel any residual oil I will just get the rag warm again and wipe. Steaming more than 2 times usually dries my skin out.

I've tried other oil mixtures before, but this seems to be the best fit for me. I have pretty normal skin that leans towards the sensitive side if I'm not careful. 4 months later, my skin is almost completely clear. I have a few clogged blackheads on my chin, but they're clearing up over time. My skin tone has evened out (I also do a honey/aspirin mask & yogurt mask twice a week) and I rarely wear any actual foundation or concealer.

This method has changed my life. Before I always felt gross and dirty, and it seemed like every time a pimple cleared 3 new ones would show up. I tend to avoid moisturizer just to keep my skin as clear as possible, and I don't have dry patches or feel tight.

I think the most important things are to make sure you don't over steam, to massage for more than 30 seconds, and to use a clean rag every single time.