October 25, 2014 | 1425 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2011 7:29:00 AM More reviews by GingerLemon

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

My skin has improved greatly with OCM, pores look smaller and definitively are cleaner. I never had too much acne (never as a teen—only as an adult) but this method of cleansing seems to get rid of any bumps & blackheads. I use castor oil with whatever other oil I have on hand and add essential oils (peppermint, lavender, oregano). Two or three times a week I follow the cleansing with an exfoliation using Cetaphil and baking soda. Once or twice a week I use a mask (which I change up—make my own masks—depending on what I think my skin needs). I've gotten lots of compliments on my skin. Will continue using because it works for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 4:00:00 AM More reviews by Sunnydelite62901

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I use a castor oil half blend with olive oil and a few drops of tea tree oil, whole foods sell little glass containers for armotherpay so I store it in those. I am going to try the emulsifer method, I like it, it's the only thing that helps get the gunk out of my nose, and I follow with a steam method and use my black head extraction tool and wow does it help the gunk out. I then follow with my lemon juice/tumeric/honey mask and it makes my skin glow, I am going to try with teh emulisfers and see how I like it,

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2011 10:46:00 AM More reviews by qkellie

I've been doing this for about a month using jojoba oil only. The upside is that it's ridiculously inexpensive (especially if you use a one-formula oil), you can make the "packaging" be whatever you want, and it's insanely gentle on your skin. I've noticed I have to use a lot less moisturizer, and getting makeup off is much easier. The downsize, for me, is that while my skin looks clearer, I do feel like it's generally oilier throughout the day, even despite steaming out my pores as my last step in cleansing. I also feel that even though I have fewer blemishes overall, the ones I do get are kind of horrible, like blistery whiteheads. OTOH, the blemishes heal a little faster. I don't think you can make the OCM your sole skincare product, especially if you have mature, oily/combination, acne-prone skin as I do. My current regime is to oil-cleanse at night, use only water on my face in the morning. Every few nights, I slather on 10% benzoyl peroxide (usually Persa Gel or a generic version thereof), and the nights I don't use BP, I use Philosophy Hope in a Jar moisturizer/chemical exfoliator. For day, I either use a very light moisturizer or none at all, depending on what I'm doing that day/how much makeup I'm wearing, whether I need sunscreen, etc. I do have a tendency to get milia on my forehead no matter what regime I do, and the OCM will not do much specifically for fine lines, wrinkles, or loss of skin elasticity. However, OCM versus a gentle, mild cleanser? OCM wins, just on how it feels and how cheap it is, as well as how you can adjust it based on your skin's individual needs. I know I might have better results, too, if I use a combination of several types of oils together, rather than just jojoba by itself.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/28/2011 10:14:00 AM More reviews by pmd584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ok, so I used one part castor oil to two parts jojoba oil. I used a dropper so no bacteria would get in, plus they were new bottles. I would massage the oil mixture into my skin for a few minutes, then steam face with a warm washcloth, twice, and gently wipe off the residue. My skin looked soooo good the first few days of doing only that and no soap, as per the directions. Then after almost a week my whole face broke out in milia, or small flesh-colored bumps! I HATE getting those because I know that I will have them for a few months, and I'm getting married in less than a month! I have combination, fair, sensitive, acne-prone skin. My skin has difficulty with the shedding of dead skin cells, so I'm constantly exfoliating so the skin doesn't build up and causes blemishes. I will never do this again nor will I ever recommend it to anyone because of my terrible experience!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 5:30:00 AM More reviews by pmakraki

I love love love love this.
My skin is combination dry with stubborn blackheads and the occasional red spot.
I do it only at night only because I think that it's enough!
I mix in a bottle 1 part EVOO, 1 part castor oil and 1 part almond oil because these are the oils I always happen to have around!
I massage a lot onto dry face and then put a warm towel on my face for a couple of times.
And that's it! It works like a charm!
My nose is finally, after 20 years clear. Completely clear!
The skin tone is even and the red spots are gone overnight, my face feels always moisturised.
I'm trying this method with KP on my arms and I'll review if good results will happen

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by xxgoodnevil17xx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for 6 months now and I love it! I started by just using olive oil, but not I mix with castor oil at times. I love how you can use whatever oils suit your skin or preference, and how easy it is to do! I have rosacea and this is great for leaving my skin balanced and not irritated like almost every cleanser out there does. I recommended it to so many friends and family and they've all fallen in love with it too! It is also a lot cheaper than having to buy a bunch of cleansers, since this even doubles for a makeup remover. I do it between 3-4 times a week (any more and I'd think it would make my skin worse instead), but thats the recommended amount and it works perfect for me! I hope more people try this natural way to deep cleanse and hydrate your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2011 10:54:00 PM More reviews by nico678

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm being WAY hasty in writing this so I will definitely update because I won't usually write a review until I have had adequate time with a product. But I just did this and holy freaken smokes my skin looks better than it maybe ever has. I have no idea if this will break me out or the result subside, etc.. all I know is that I did this in the bath, got out and dried my face, moisturized with some jojoba and argan oil and looked in the mirror and almost cried. My skin has been difficult whether it is breakouts, long lasting cysts, long lasting hyperpigmentation, dehydration from acne treatments, ugh. I really needed something nourishing and effective and all signs seem to point to the OCM. It really did suck the gunk out of the pores on my nose and I haven't seen my skin look so even and plump in ages. I am longing for the day when I can go outside without makeup (for the record, my skin isn't terrible terrible I am just dramatic about it). I thought I might be jinxing the results of this by jumping the gun and writing a review, but I have emotionally suffered from my skin and think that sharing successes with others is important as you all have done for me. I used EVOO, Jojoba, a lil grapeseed oil, and a lil castor oil. I would like to buy some sunflower to use in place of EVOO, but this mixture sure felt AMAZING on my skin. I have also been washing my face in the AM with honey and aloe for a couple of weeks and people have told me I look younger. Anyways, I don't plan on doing this daily as I tend to overdue things and reek havoc on my skin, I'll prob do this 2-3x a week. I will for sure update after month's time. Best of luck to all.

EDIT: Okay so I still like this but am a bit weary about it now. I have been playing with different oils and still need to find the proper balance for my skin. I did have a breakout recently but I don't know it this caused it. My skin is oilier after doing this, this may remove plugs but my nose seems to fill up again pretty quickly (gross, sorry). So I sometimes use the mint julep mask on my t-zone after doing the OCM, that seems to help. I will say that I LOVE doing the OCM and having plugs just pop right out into my hands, it's the weirdest feeling. No squeezing, no scrubbing, nothing abrasive, just plop out comes a plug. It gets plugs I didn't know were there and my have potentially turned into something. So I am sporadically doing this when my skin feels a bit congested as an at-home facial.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by eddiecatt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I'd been doing this for about a month, and while I liked the way it made my skin feel, I was disappointed that it didn't seem to have the pore-clearing effect on me that it had on other people--no popping plugs for me. But after reading (in Kristen Ma's Beauty: Pure and Simple book) that dehydrated skin hangs on to its blackheads and whiteheads, I obsessively moisturized for five days, then tried it again. Well, wow! If your skin is dehydrated (even if it is oily, it might be dehydrated), try drinking lots of water and moisturizing conscientiously--you'll see a big difference!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by adriennesmith

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really excited to try this method to clear up some of the clogged pores on my face. I used a combination of 25% castor oil, 50% jojoba oil, and 25% grapeseed oil. It was amazing seeing the gunk coming out of my pores so quite naturally I thought this was going to be the way I would cleanse my skin forever. WRONG!!!! My skin looked good for about 2 days then all hell broke loose. My face erupted in cystic bumps everywhere and my skin became extremely dry to the point of peeling. I stopped the OCM and eventually my skin improved. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment because I tried this cleansing method once again and I experienced the same terrible breakout. Well I've learned that everything doesn't work for everybody. Now it's time for me to try to get my skin under control once again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 8:51:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) for a week now. If you have any questions about this review you can PM me:)

My skin is not in bad shape, but it isn't great either - my biggest gripe is texture. The pores on my nose are the most problematic area on my face - they are constantly full, lumpy, visible and large. Even if I find something that shrinks them a little they still manage to re-fill rather quickly. I am also afflicted with pores (albeit less problematic) in between my brows and on my chin area. While my cheeks aren't that bad - they are there also. The best I could ever hope for is temporary shrinkage - long term solutions for my pores simply did not exist. However, I am always on the lookout for a solution. I'm very self conscious of my skin since I do like to take care of myself and take pride in my appearence.

I do not have acne, so my recommendations obviously will not address that issue.

I lean on the norm. / dry side. I do have a little mid-day shine but I am not oily.

I tried the OCM with Castor Oil and Olive Oil (cold pressed). I used 3 parts Olive Oil to 1 part Castor Oil, I mixed it in my hand (I won't commit to bottling it as of yet). I massaged it in with my fingertips paying special attention to my problem areas. I went from 3 minutes of facial massage, at first, up to 5 minutes. While I was massaging in I motivated myself to continue by thinking of how nice it would be to have beautiful pore-free skin:) It will not take much motivating if you are like me and have little time for spa-like skin treatments, it will feel luxurious!

When I started nearing the end I ran the faucet to get my tap water hot and put a facial towel underneath. After a quick wringing out I placed the hot towel on my skin, with the mixture still on my face, and allowed the steam to penetrate. Once the towel cooled and I removed it for round two I noticed an immediate glow. I attribute this to the oils and the facial massage stimulating my skin's circulation. I did not use the towel to remove anything as the oils had already absorbed into my skin and there wasn't anything to remove! I applied the facial towel once again and when I removed it this time, I gently used it to buff my skin across my chin and nose (do this gently!).

Sorry if this is overshare:

While I did not feel a lot of sebum plugs coming out of my skin during the facial massage I did notice them coming out throughout the day. I noticed an immdiate difference in my pores - they looked less full. I kept up the OCM through the week. Once, I put in too much of the Castor Oil - it dried me out. I have done a lot of research on the OCM before committing to it, and this is pretty common - keep your portions of Castor Oil small if you are leaning dry like me.

Once I got Now brand Jojoba Oil I made a mixture of 3 parts Jojoba oil and 1 part Castor Oil. I have read that Jojoba Oil mimics the natural oils that our skin produces - therefore, it is the most suitable oil to draw out the impurities. I tried it today and there is less slip in this oil - it was still nice to use during the facial massage though. There are so many variants of the OCM out there and I am still finding what works for me.

So far, my pores look smaller, are a lot less filled with junk, my sebum plugs are easier to remove ( I have not had to pick them - some just come out after I do the OCM on their own throughout the day), and my skin's texture and look have improved. At the moment, this works better than any routine I have used before.

As a bonus, my nails are going through a little growth spurt since I started OCM! I am very pleased to see so many positive things happening as a result of using this method.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No