April 19, 2014 | 1661 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method OCM

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2010 4:07:00 PM More reviews by chesmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

You know, this is like everything else on the planet. Try it with a healthy dose of skepticism and listen to your skin. If you're breaking out while doing this, STOP. I'm 47 and I'm gonna admit straight up: I have great skin. I always have. I don't know why...maybe it's genetic (I was adopted; hell if I know) but I do. However, my forehead and nose, over the years, have always been oily. I tried this on a whim and not even based on the original OCM. Apparently, castor oil is almost non-existent in my sphere but I admit I didn't make special trips looking for it either.

For two weeks, I've used EVOO. Nothing but. And it's even managed to dry out the tops of my cheekbones just a tad so I've dropped back to every other night. Point is, my skin no longer needs blotting 4-5 times a day. It has regulated itself nicely and, at this rate, I'm not even going to need foundation much longer.

Would I recommend this? Yes but not like I would a lipstick or even a mascara. Be careful. Be smart. Listen to your skin. Just because I've had great luck, doesn't mean you will. Read, explore, research, then decide but most importantly, listen to your skin. If it's screaming "no", quit. Don't go slathering stuff on your face willy-nilly without making an informed decision for yourself first. Happy oiling!

40 out of 40 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2010 9:30:00 PM More reviews by nnweke

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Please BEWARE. I have been doing this for about 2 weeks and the results were phenomenal. I had smooth glowing skin. However, I am now suffering dry skin. I am currently just using water to wash and moisturizing to try and get my skin back to its supple state.

I think this would be good if done only 1x/week or maybe even once every two weeks so that's why I'm not going to stop doing it completely...yet.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2010 11:55:00 PM More reviews by smake

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

hmm, interesting. so i think i may be allergic to glycerine... and, i have been throwing hundreds of dollarz into my skincare and been totally sucked into a self-help-me googling frenzy about the latest and greatest skin tech gizos and wackos out there, finally have demoted all my beloved skincare products to the bottom shelf of the cupboard (so i dont have to keep giving them disapproving scowls - it's not really their fault!) and ordered up a load of castor oil.

a self-confessed beautypedia / AHA / glycolic addict, add some rosacea / erythema & a few appointments with a derm (never went ahead with the infamous lazer) and general health nutter; happy to report castor oil and a microfibre cloth have become my must-have and only (yes, really) skincare routine.

my sweet sweet castor oil - having a low molecular weight, skin just loves this stuff. i have only been doing this OCM for a week, but it is worth it for the totally liberating feeling of not being a slave to numerous and multiple product.

pros
skin soft and not shiny or flaky
pores / blackheads diminished - truly, my nose looks poreless now - like the rest of my face
simple - without the need of adding irritants like essential oils
dont even use a conventional moisturiser now - just a drop of castor oil as a moisturiser does the trick

cons
washing / drying cloths all the time - yes this part totally sucks
broke me out a bit first few days - may have been the coconut oil i mixed with the castor
dried out my cheeks first few days where erythema is worst - but that is now healing & each day they're feeling softer
rosacea / redness still there, for now...

will update with further use, stay tuned

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2010 7:45:00 AM More reviews by shireenns

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used to use Clinique's crystal clear cleansing oil, through all the various phases of my skin - oily, hormonally out of wack, dry/dehydrated. It did a great job of removing makeup etc., but my skin felt oily.

Recently, I've had rather dry, dehydrated skin, with patches of flakiness along each side of my nose. I've been using almond oil to cleanse and moisturize and it's a godsend! I got a nice size for dirt cheap in the "international foods" aisle of a discount supermarket for a few bucks and keep it in my bathroom. I don't go through the traditional OCM steps, I just swipe it onto a cotton pad and sweep the day's gunk off, then rinse, then apply a bit more all over. My skin looks and feels a lot better! It's great for other areas of the skin and hair too.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2010 5:01:00 AM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Over time this method is traumatic for my dry skin. The oil penetrates deeply and strips instead of replenshing the face with moisture. There is such thing as too clean. I can tolerate this better in summer and it is a shame because I really loved the polished smoothness of my skin in the beginning. Continual use of oil (I have tried olive, coconut, watermelon and grapefruit), made me tight, red and so dry that I had to bring out the heavy-duty moisturizer. And made my light acne marks darker and more obvious. Use caution when dry-rubbing. I will deep cleanse once a week with this method but I find plain cold cream more effective.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2010 7:19:00 AM More reviews by myluckypenny

Let me start this by saying, "This is ABSOLUTELY the CLEAREST my skin has been in a DECADE!!!" *jumps for joy* =D

Okay, now a little background: I'm not what you would consider a person with severe acne, but I get one cystic bump here and there when my monthly comes around, and I have a tendency to break out where I contour with my MAC products... I have yet to find any contouring/blush brands to not break me out yet. The only thing so far is the MUFE HD cream blushes, but they're not my favorite because I prefer brush application.

Area I usually break out w/ the 1-2 cystic bumps/month: cheeks. I also get whiteheads and tiny bumps around my temples and between my eyebrows. I've used cleansers from Shisheido, Lancome, L'Occitane, Philosophy, St. Ives, Clean & Clear, Clearasil, Biore, Loreal, etc...

I've also used toners and serums from various brands to help close up the large pores I get on the skin surrounding my nose on my face. I've always been oily, but the only thing that helped were switching to Cetaphil as a daily cleanser and switching my makeup to MUFE HD foundation + primer. All of my experimentation has reduced my clustered breakouts to a few here and there thanks to the switch, but I wanted flawless skin, not mediocre.

My friend has been doing the OCM, and I've been tempted, so when I saw a bottle of Desert Essence jojoba oil @ Trader Joe's, I figured why not. I went home and it sat there for a few days, staring at me, challenging me to just do it already. I was skeptical, since I've been brainwashed by all this oil-free stuff being sold to us, and after researching it more and using it on my hands first to learn to trust it, I finally did it last week...

YES, it has only been a WEEK. I feel my face now, and I have absolutely NO new pimples on my face. My skin has purged after the first 2-3 days of use, and now I am absolutely smooth w/ the exception of a few dried out blemishes that are in the process of healing up. I have one more week before I am to expect the awful gift of womanhood, and there are no new breakouts! I should have one or two of those suckers forming by now... *knocks on wood*

At this point in time, I am ONLY using jojoba oil. I know castor oil is supposed to be a part of the mix, but I've been doing so well with the jojoba, I think I might stick with it... or I might pick up some castor oil to see what I'm missing out on later this week. I showed my bf's little sister how to do it today with olive oil, which I have yet to try, but I was a little turned off seeing how thick it was in her hands whens he was using it. Anyways, here's my process if it'll help anyone:

Only @ night, I massage the jojoba oil onto my dry face for 3-5 minutes, and then I steam with a hot towel. Once that's done, I massage it for another 1-5 minutes depending on how tired I am, and then I rinse w/ a tiny drop of Cetaphil just to wash away the bacteria if there is any. I pat dry with a towel, then apply 1-3 drops more of jojoba oil to make sure the face wash did not strip my face.

I sleep, and wake up with a glowing face and less blemishes than the night prior. Every time I think my face is close to clearing up, another one of those awful things pop up... and I am also terrible when it comes to extracting them, so I have a good amt. of tiny red marks from scarring. Let me say this now, but if a blind person reached out and felt my cheeks right now, they would probably think I have the smoothest skin, EVER! My forehead is still clearing up a little, and I'm waiting for that part of my face to join the rest of it in smooth glory.

I'll post updates if I can, but I'm sticking to this unless something goes freakishly wrong... haha, and I don't see that happening any time in the near future. <3

I used to laugh at the ppl that used the term "HG" on MUA when I first joined, but after learning so many awesome things, I have no shame in using it myself. HOLY GRAIL FOR SURE! Just take the time to figure it out for yourself before you make any decisions as to whether you like it or not, and if you want to read up on it, go to: www.theoilcleansingmethod.com

UPDATE: 11/08/10 - I had two white heads form on my temple 2 days before my period, and then I immediately rushed out to Whole Foods to concoct my own OCM formula. After extensive research, I've found lemongrass is for oily skin/blackhead removal, lavender is an anti-inflammatory, and hazelnut oil helped close pores. I purchased those 2 essential oils, and the hazelnut I found in the cooking aisle. Those, along with castor oil, olive oil and my jojoba oil, I made a concoction in a glass jar [for fear of buying a cheapo plastic bottle that might leech toxic chemicals into my oil mixture] and used it. Two days later, my skin has no bumps except a tiny dry patch where the two white heads started to form. TWO DAYS! They usually take a few days to heal up, and sometimes, they'll heal halfway and form again in the same spot!

...yes, I still broke out for my monthly, BUT they were not cystic, and they went away quickly. The most important part is that they did not form on my cheeks. I can conceal 1-2 pimples on my temples easy, but I am so sick of the red scars on my cheeks from past pimples. I am also glad to say my scars on my cheeks have faded by 25%. THAT is a MIRACLE.

I spent close to $40 on oils, but with the amount I got, it beats the living daylights out of my $100 serums any day w/ the mass amounts of oil I have stocked in my cabinet.

UPDATE: 02.16,2011: I broke out HEAVILY with cystic acne and whiteheads that did not come to surface the second week of December and it just kept getting worse and worse. I don't think OCM is for me during the winter because of the dry air and bronzer I was using.

PanOxyl 10% bp cleanser/Cetaphil facewash + CeraVe PM + Clarisonic has fixed 80% of the damage for me in 2 weeks. I'll try OCM again in the s

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2010 8:35:00 AM More reviews by cnguyen01

I had clear skin before trying out OCM. Disastrous! I've tried OCM for 2 months - with castor oil, without castor oil, with an emulsifer (polysorbate) and without, and trialed a plethora of essential oils (jojoba, sunflower, grapeseed, etc). Didn't work, all it did was break me out and clog my pores. My friend had the same experience. Perhaps not appropriate for young, combination skin? I do not recommend OCM at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2010 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Ymber

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Edited review:
After initially using the oils for just removing my make-up (worked great, the original review was about that), I started doing the actual OCM, properly, according to the description on the dedicated webpage. It really deep-cleanses the pores, the impurities come out just like that, with gentle massage - no squeezing needed, and results are amazing. However, I have discovered that the success of the method very much depends on the second oil that has to be mixed with the castor oil. I experimented with a few types, and here is what I discovered:
- Jojoba and olive oils were just fine; nothing spectacular, but did the job quite well.
- Coconut oil was a disaster; instead of purging my pores, it actually clogged them and made me break out.
- Apricot oil was superb; I used one with added vitamin E and it produced very good results - it cleaned out the pores, shrank them and my skin was baby-soft.

Later on, I found a medical document describing comedogenic (pore-clogging) properties of various substances including oils, which was very educative. Each substance got a grade 0-4 (0 - non-comedogenic, 4 - very comedogenic), and I learned that coconut oil was grade 4 which explained why it made me break out like crazy! Jojoba and olive oils were not listed so unfortunately I could not verify those. Apricot oil was grade 1 (very mild comedogenic properties), good enough but I still thought I would prefer using grade 0 oil, and that were: Castor oil (no surprise), peanut oil, and avocado oil.
I chose avocado oil to try out, and have to confirm that the results are really even better than with the apricot oil, probably thanks to the non-clogging qualities. So, before you get yourself the second oil, I recommend trying to investigate on various types as there are really big differences.
Also, if the method stops working well for you after some time, I suggest you cut it down to only once or twice a week. I did that, too, because it eventually proved to be "too strong" for daily use, and it works great again.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2010 7:22:00 AM More reviews by jqsuared

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love using oil on my face, prior to cleansing. I have tried a few different types, jojoba, vit e, but I found Jason's Naturals Vit E which also includes other oil ingredients. I wet my fave with warm water, pump two pumps of oil into my hand, rub for a few, remove my makeup and then I use a non foaming cleanser. I also like to use pure vit e in the shower and let it steam on my face or I'll use it under a clay mask. If I feel like I have to much residual oil left on, I'll tone with witch hazel. I also like to use oil with my exfoliating brush. My pores look small, my skin is smooth and even and my breakouts heal faster with less scarring as long as I don't pick. But the Jasons Oil is by far the best oil for this purpose.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2010 6:47:00 AM More reviews by missmei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

My current night time regime is

- hypoallergenic baby wipe to remove makeup
- OCM with a bit of massage and leave on the skin until ready to rinse with a warm face towel in the shower
- Moogoo Skin Milk with my Clarisonic Mia
- vitamin C serum from ASAP
- Moogoo Udder Cream / Ageing Cream

I love my little regime of a night time, it's something that tells me that I'm home and that it is time to relax.

My OCM is made of jojoba, olive and sweet almond eyes as well as some citrus/stress essential oils. It's beautiful. I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts and hormonal acne. I find that the OCM is gentle yet effective. I want to add EPO, grapeseed oil, blend of eucalyptus and lavender oil and take out the olive oil and citrus essential oils next time.

The first time I used the OCM was when my skin was at its worse and I made it worse by using it, mostly because I used super hot water to get the oil off. Dumb idea! It made my skin oilier and even angrier! A face towel with warm water will do a good job, generally. Any oily residue on my skin breaks it out big time so that's why I've added a gentle cleanser post OCM and it works a treat!

I find that my skin is more regulated and isn't as oily in my t-zone. I still get breakouts but they tend to be under the skin and go away in a day or two - evil hormones. Before, they use to be very red and very sore but now they just tend to be bumps.

My skin feels so soft. I don't want to wear heaps of makeup as I don't want to cover it up! I use concealer as I have acne pigmentation but still, much better than it was! I think that the scars from acne heal quicker, maybe it's from the massage to stimulate circulation with the OCM. It also removes scabs (gross I know) gently which also helps the scar to heal quicker. Gentler is definitely the way to go. I am also using Eryacne and Differin to treat the existing pimples. I find that the OCM and Moogoo are helping improve my skin tone and helping the scars heal quicker.

You will probably need to do some research and/or experiment to find the right blend of oils for you. There is heaps of information on the internet on different types of oil and suggestions on ratios. I think the original OCM is based on using castor oil to cleanse (however it is drying) plus another carrier oil.

If you break out, IMO it is either because your skin is purging, as any thorough cleanse will do or you have residual oil left on your skin - moreso the latter! Easy to fix, just make sure you use a face towel with warm water to gently wipe it off as well as a gentle cleaner.