November 23, 2014 | 2073 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2011 7:12:00 PM More reviews by abbyyyy

I love this system of washing your face. I had very oily skin and it took me a long time from switching products trying to find something that worked for me - I changed products so many times trying to find something that reduced the oil in my skin and help with my occasional acne. I have sensitive skin that burns with a lot of products so I have to be careful with what I use on it.

I have been using it for about 6 months now and it is fantastic and I can't rave about it enough. I have not needed to buy any expensive products and one bottle of $8NZ Castor Oil and the EVOO we buy in the groceries each week have lasted me a long time - it is really dirt cheap to use, and you can tweak it for your own individual needs. I use about 1/3 Castor and 2/3 EVOO and I simply rub it into my face at night to take off all my make up and dirt for the day. I massage it around for a bit, hold the steamy wash cloth over my face once and then wipe it off. I love feeling all the girt and dirt that comes off my skin while I massage - it almost feels like little sand grains. In the morning, I don't wash my face with anything but water and I use a SPF moisturiser before I apply my MU.

The results are amazing - I no longer have problem oily skin. I have wonderful, glowing skin that does not get oily at all. I used to have to use MAC blot power and I would have to reapply about half way through the day. If I used MAC Mineralised Skin Finish I would be oily after one or two hours - now I only use MAC Mineralised Skin Finish and wear it from when I put my make up on at around 7am until when I take it off around 7-8pm at night and it does not look oily but nice and matte/ sometimes a little dewy but nothing major. I have never experienced this before and my skin is looking so good!

I keep my mixture in a bottle with a cap that I just pop open and squirt some onto my hand - fantastic.

EDIT/ I find this a bit heavy for me in the summer, and I have developed a few red bumps because of how the oil never fully washes off my skin in the hot nights. I do adore it and will continue to use this in the winter but now I think I need something less heavy as the weather warms up.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2011 12:41:00 AM More reviews by silvercons

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I've been researching products to correct my sensitive, oily (sometimes combination, normal cheeks, oily t-zone) and acne prone (black heads, small fleshy bumps and occasional cystic pimples) skin for sometime now.
My first reaction to the OCM was "WTH?, put oil on my oily acne prone skin? I don't think so!". After so many years of looking for oil free products, mattifiers and drying my skin with toners that had some alcohol in them it didn't make sense.
However, the more I read into it the more sense it made. I won't go into too much of the science of oil dissolving oil (as I'm sure a lot of you would have read into it) I became more interested and researched the oils that would suit my skin type.
I started with 50/50 jojoba and castor oil but I found it left my skin a little taut afterwards. I've settled on a 75% jojoba and 25% castor oil mix with a few drops of tea tree oil as it's anti-inflammatory and acts as a disinfectant.
Here are the steps I take:

1.After washing my body in the shower I thoroughly wash my hands and then take a dime or 10c (I'm aussie hehe) size of the oil mixture rubbing to distribute the mixture onto both hands.

2. Massage the oil onto my face, concentrating on one part of my face, forehead, temples, nose, cheeks and chin at each time. Some people spend 5-10 minutes massaging but I probably spend 3 minutes at most. You should spend as much time as you wish. This step is meant to massage the oils into your pores to dislodge dirt, sweat and impurities. Some people have experienced tiny nodules (such as black heads) come out of their pores, I was waiting for this sensation but it never happened, perhaps it only happens after 5 minutes of massage :)

3. I turn the shower back on and rinse my face washer in warm water (I don't like the idea of using HOT water as I have sensitive skin and really hot water on your face can cause broken capillaries aka spider veins). I gently wipe the oil away, rinse the washer again and wipe again.

4. Depending on the weather I may put a couple of drops of jojoba on my skin to moisturize, that's it! I just cleansed off all my make up/dirt/sweat, exfoliated, toned and moisturized.

I firmly believe that the results you achieve from any skin care routine and esp. ocm are:
- only as good as the ingredients your use: they don't have to be super expensive oil (although cold pressed is best), just kept hygienic and not exposed to sunlight
- adjusted to suit your skin concerns :play around with the ratios if your skin is too dry or oily after the first couple of times. Once you are more comfortable you can introduce essential oils such as tea tree, lavender, rose just to name a few
- consistency: you can't expect results after a couple of nights or even a couple of weeks of dong a routine here or there. Just like your skin hasn't become a mess due to sun over exposure, hormones etc over night don't expect a new routine to turn it all around in 2 weeks.
- using clean and hygienic everything, this means clean hands, clean bottles (I bought amber glass pump bottles that I thoroughly cleaned in hot soapy water and leaving to air dry prior to pouring my oils in) and clean wash cloth. I change my cloth 2-3 times a week but wash it with body wash after each and every time I use it and leave it to dry in a well ventilated area as leaving a wet cloth in a damp environment such as a bathroom can breed bacteria.

After a few weeks of being diligent I have noticed that the tiny white white heads on my forehead have reduced 80%, the pores on my cheeks directly beside my nose have reduced 30%, the black heads on my nose look about 30% better. The the oil production has reduced, I don't have to blot my skin the 5 times a day, I probably do it twice a day now.
The best thing is that my skin looks so much smoother!
I've cut out using toners, other moisturizers, face masks etc as I want to continue assessing the effectiveness of ocm without combining it with other products just in case there is a bad reaction and I don't know what caused it.
So far so good. I will update in a couple of months, fingers crossed!!!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2011 12:20:00 PM More reviews by lindsay33333

So i don't write reviews that often but I've been using this for a few years now on and off and had to share my experience. Now, I say on and off because I've had some amazing results with this. Amazing. But on the other hand, there have been times where I've used this and my skin got so bad I didn't wanna leave the house.. I would just scroll makeupalley all day looking for ways to fix it. And after reading reviews I can relate to almost everything everyone has said, but I think that with those of you that have tried it and hated it, I have solutions that will help you because I truly believe that used correctly this is the best thing out there.
I'll start by telling you about my skin. I'm 20, female, and have had problems with dryness, oilness, acne, lines, everything. And right now I'm using a mixture that has gotten rid of alll of it, my skin looks like it did when I was 12. I don't even need makeup lol.. it's that's great. And after experimenting with every oil and every mixture possible I realized that for the most part, my negative issues with this had nothing to do with the oil itself or the reaction to my skin. It was 2 main things:

1. Castor oil, this can be the best or the worst. DO NOT USE TOO MUCH. I'm reading reviews of people using 50 percent concentrations and it's blowing my mind.. use *drops* of it. Seriously, too much will make your skin look good at first but it will not leave your skin. It will layer and layer to the point where when you finally realize that the overuse of castor oil was the problem, it will be too late to fix it..

2. MAKE SURE THE OILS ARE NOT RANCID. Oils that have gone bad are the absolute worstt thing you can put on your skin. And what sucks is that sometimes you can't even tell that they've gone bad.. The more obvious signs like the smell, the look of it, they might not necessarily be there yet. But my main piece of advice is that you have to buy them in either an amber glass bottle OR a plastic bottle that reads *protects against UV light*. NOW foods has this now on a lot of their bottles. If it doesn't protect against light don't buy it, cause chances are, it's already gone bad from being in and out of light during shipment.

So, with that being said, my perfect blend right now is jojoba oil and castor oil. 2 tbsp of jojoba w. 7 drops of castor. Yes, I've narrowed it down to an exact formula, and the results are amazing :) But experiment, if it seems like it's not working or it's too drying then stop. Try something new. And I use this every night. It removes all traces of makeup, and in the morning my skin is balanced, smooth, acne free, scars are decreasing, it's plumped, it's clean, it's perrrfect :) In the shower, I take a few drops of my mixture, (which I have stored in my closet, *not the shower*, in an amber glass bottle) massage it onto my face and leave it while I continue with the rest of my routine, then put the washcloth over my face and let the steam take it off. Repeat once, maybe twice. *If the mixture is right for you, you will not have to scrub to get it off.* Then when I get out of the shower I put a few drops on my face and I'm good.

So don't be afraid to try this, it really is incredible when used properly. It's the best thing that's ever happened to my skin. Hope this helps! :)

29 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2011 8:57:00 PM More reviews by nanobook

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I started OCM hoping to remove the flakes on my face. I have oily skin and with flakes on my chin and cheeks. Althought this method works on so many people, it's not working for me. I tend to have 2-3 pimples around the month of time and it's been like that for a few years. Three days into OCM, I've started to get 1-2 new cysts on my chin every morning. The cysts migrated slowly up to my cheek! At one point, it was painful to touch my face.

Personally I don't believe that's the "purging". I think I'm too sensitive to the castor oil (I put 1:9 castor oil: jojoba oil ratio) and it kinda messed up my skin. Luckily those cysts stayed under my skin and finally went away. I would never risk my skin with oil again!

I would be really cautious to start OCM if you have sensitive skin or even acne prone skin. Just try on one tiny area on your face for 1-2 weeks and see what happen before you put the oil all over the face.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2011 7:29:00 AM More reviews by GingerLemon

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

My skin has improved greatly with OCM, pores look smaller and definitively are cleaner. I never had too much acne (never as a teen—only as an adult) but this method of cleansing seems to get rid of any bumps & blackheads. I use castor oil with whatever other oil I have on hand and add essential oils (peppermint, lavender, oregano). Two or three times a week I follow the cleansing with an exfoliation using Cetaphil and baking soda. Once or twice a week I use a mask (which I change up—make my own masks—depending on what I think my skin needs). I've gotten lots of compliments on my skin. Will continue using because it works for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 4:00:00 AM More reviews by Sunnydelite62901

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I use a castor oil half blend with olive oil and a few drops of tea tree oil, whole foods sell little glass containers for armotherpay so I store it in those. I am going to try the emulsifer method, I like it, it's the only thing that helps get the gunk out of my nose, and I follow with a steam method and use my black head extraction tool and wow does it help the gunk out. I then follow with my lemon juice/tumeric/honey mask and it makes my skin glow, I am going to try with teh emulisfers and see how I like it,

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2011 10:46:00 AM More reviews by qkellie

I've been doing this for about a month using jojoba oil only. The upside is that it's ridiculously inexpensive (especially if you use a one-formula oil), you can make the "packaging" be whatever you want, and it's insanely gentle on your skin. I've noticed I have to use a lot less moisturizer, and getting makeup off is much easier. The downsize, for me, is that while my skin looks clearer, I do feel like it's generally oilier throughout the day, even despite steaming out my pores as my last step in cleansing. I also feel that even though I have fewer blemishes overall, the ones I do get are kind of horrible, like blistery whiteheads. OTOH, the blemishes heal a little faster. I don't think you can make the OCM your sole skincare product, especially if you have mature, oily/combination, acne-prone skin as I do. My current regime is to oil-cleanse at night, use only water on my face in the morning. Every few nights, I slather on 10% benzoyl peroxide (usually Persa Gel or a generic version thereof), and the nights I don't use BP, I use Philosophy Hope in a Jar moisturizer/chemical exfoliator. For day, I either use a very light moisturizer or none at all, depending on what I'm doing that day/how much makeup I'm wearing, whether I need sunscreen, etc. I do have a tendency to get milia on my forehead no matter what regime I do, and the OCM will not do much specifically for fine lines, wrinkles, or loss of skin elasticity. However, OCM versus a gentle, mild cleanser? OCM wins, just on how it feels and how cheap it is, as well as how you can adjust it based on your skin's individual needs. I know I might have better results, too, if I use a combination of several types of oils together, rather than just jojoba by itself.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/28/2011 10:14:00 AM More reviews by pmd584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ok, so I used one part castor oil to two parts jojoba oil. I used a dropper so no bacteria would get in, plus they were new bottles. I would massage the oil mixture into my skin for a few minutes, then steam face with a warm washcloth, twice, and gently wipe off the residue. My skin looked soooo good the first few days of doing only that and no soap, as per the directions. Then after almost a week my whole face broke out in milia, or small flesh-colored bumps! I HATE getting those because I know that I will have them for a few months, and I'm getting married in less than a month! I have combination, fair, sensitive, acne-prone skin. My skin has difficulty with the shedding of dead skin cells, so I'm constantly exfoliating so the skin doesn't build up and causes blemishes. I will never do this again nor will I ever recommend it to anyone because of my terrible experience!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 5:30:00 AM More reviews by pmakraki

I love love love love this.
My skin is combination dry with stubborn blackheads and the occasional red spot.
I do it only at night only because I think that it's enough!
I mix in a bottle 1 part EVOO, 1 part castor oil and 1 part almond oil because these are the oils I always happen to have around!
I massage a lot onto dry face and then put a warm towel on my face for a couple of times.
And that's it! It works like a charm!
My nose is finally, after 20 years clear. Completely clear!
The skin tone is even and the red spots are gone overnight, my face feels always moisturised.
I'm trying this method with KP on my arms and I'll review if good results will happen

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by xxgoodnevil17xx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for 6 months now and I love it! I started by just using olive oil, but not I mix with castor oil at times. I love how you can use whatever oils suit your skin or preference, and how easy it is to do! I have rosacea and this is great for leaving my skin balanced and not irritated like almost every cleanser out there does. I recommended it to so many friends and family and they've all fallen in love with it too! It is also a lot cheaper than having to buy a bunch of cleansers, since this even doubles for a makeup remover. I do it between 3-4 times a week (any more and I'd think it would make my skin worse instead), but thats the recommended amount and it works perfect for me! I hope more people try this natural way to deep cleanse and hydrate your skin.