July 22, 2014 | 2359 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2011 9:56:00 AM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been doing OCM method for over ten years. I found that it is not for everyone and I do go through spells where I stop for a few months and then start again.

I think the real key to success to OCM is to not do it as your stand alone cleansing method. I think that by using OCM everyday, you will start to see breakouts. I have found that the best mix for my combo/Sensitive breakout prone skin is 25% Castor, 50% Sunflower oil, 25% Grapeseed. Sunflower oil is probably the best for acne/Clog prone folks. It's "0" on the comedogenic scale. Grapeseed is also a Very Light Oil that has Antibacterial properties. I also add a few drops of Tea Tree oil and sometimes Oil of Oregano in the summer which is great for acne. I only do the OCM method at night and typically only 3 Nights out of the week. The rest of the time I use a Detergent free cleanser that is gentle. The OCM for me is ONLY to get Clogged Pores unclogged. The oils and doing a deep massage on my face expels those suckers out. I have never relied on this as My only Cleansing method. I consider this a treatment/Home facial. I think this is why it works for me, despite my breakout prone skin.

Here's how I do it:
Steam face for a few minutes using a hot wash cloth to open pores.
Take a few tablespoons of the oil mix and rub and massage into face for 5 minutes, the longer the better. Let in Penetrate!
Take hot cloth and place on face to steam again and loosen the gunk from the face (The castor will pull out impurities).
I repeat the steaming about twice more and then using a Microfiber cloth I gentle remove the oil residue. Then I follow with a Witch Hazel toner and moisturize. In the morning my face is soft, smooth and any clogged pores are now unplugged.

As I said, I think if you treat the OCM as a Facial treatment a few times a week instead of a daily cleansing method, people might find it works well for them. It took many years of experimenting but for me this is the best method. The rest of the week I just use a gentle non-detergent cleanser like Purpose cleansing gel. It keeps my jawline and cheeks clear of Clogged pores. Between the OCM and Enzyme masks, I am able to keep my skin acne free and happy.

29 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by arvetka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this method. I found reviews here in summer and Iīve been using it for 5 months or so now.
My skin isnīt oily...I have oily t-zone but nothing terrible. My main problem are blackheads and clogged pores on my lower cheeks, scars from cystic acne I suffered from last year.
Anyways...this oil cleansing method works great for me - when I donīt do it too often. Every day is too much for me, my skin gets dry and flaky plus some new bumps show up.
I usually do OCM three times a week now and Iīm very happy about it. I use 50/50 castor oil and flaxseed oil (this mix is less drying) or 50/50 castor oil and sunflower oil (I find sunflower oil more drying but it cleans better as well).
I put a small amount of oil on my damp face, massage it for a minute and wash it off with a couple of cotton balls. Then I cover my face with hot wet towel for a minute and repeat.
I usually wash my face with Lush Coal Face soap afterwards. When I feel my skin is too tight I only use Bioderma Sebium Micelle Solution. I always moisturize after.
This method melts my blackheads, makes my pores smaller and my skin is glowing and smooth.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2011 11:50:00 AM More reviews by artsypirate

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

First I want to start off by saying I don't really get acne only an occasional pimple here and there. When I tried this a week ago my face was totally clear except for some stubborn white heads on my nose, chin, and cheeks.

I've had a problem with whiteheads for *years*. I've tried everything to get rid of them. Facial steaming, scrubs, overpriced pore strips, and I regularly used a skin care tool for awhile but NONE of that got rid of all of them like the OCM did. Within the first 10 seconds of massaging the oil onto my face the whiteheads dissolved completely! My skin has been smooth and whitehead free without any more treatments for a week now.

I highly recommend if you get whiteheads.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2011 7:11:00 AM More reviews by Yuu

This is a temporary review as I've only been doing the OCM for a short time (4 times so far), I will update once I can see what the long term effects are.

The procedure I follow is basically standard: I start with a dry face with no pre-washing or anything. If I have makeup on I will wash it off before the OCM, though you should not have to because the oil should remove makeup. I keep the oil on longer as I massage it in slowly taking my time so I don't want to risk the makeup getting into my pores along with the oil. I get enough oil to generously cover my face and slowly massage it in for about 3 minutes or so until I can feel the sebum plugs starting to come out. Then I massage for 2 or so minutes more until I don't think there's anymore coming out. Next I steam my face with a hot (not burning hot) wet (but not dripping) towel to my face and hold it there until it is cooled. Sometimes I will do this twice if I feel that my face was not steamed enough. Doing this with a towel usually takes most of the oil off your face, and I found that if I started to massage right after without applying more oil, dead skin will rub off, a lot. I do it gently so it doesn't hurt and my face does not get raw from the skin rubbing off. At this point I either stop or put some more oil on and repeat the process once more. To finish off I wet my towel again with hot water and wipe off all the oil. With the OCM some people will tell you to leave your face as is after wiping off and use some of the oil to moisturize if it feels too dry because the OCM is supposed to balance your oil production, but I don't want to take the chance of the oil clogging my pores so I do an after cleanse with a foaming wash to get all the oil off and moisturize lightly with a gel-cream/aloe gel/a few drops of non-comedogenic oil. I do this ever 2 days or so. The OCM also exfoliates for me so I don't want to overdo it.

The oil blend I use is 50/50 castor and sunflower oil. Some people don't want to use the castor oil but it is what cleans the pores and my main reason for doing the OCM is to unclog pores so there is no substituting it for me. I chose sunflower oil to thin out the castor oil because it is cheap and non-comedogenic. If I ever run out, and if the OCM works for me, I will use grapeseed oil instead though because it has antioxidant and astringent properties and has no smell compared to the sunflower oil I got from the cooking aisle (I know, doesn't sound like a good idea but it was on sale! I already shelled out for a bottle of castor oil and I don't know if OCM will work for me so I was not up to spending more at the health store).

Day 1: I felt 1 or 2 grainy things, but they were small and indiscernible on my oily fingers. I was a bit disappointed because I thought a lot of plugs would come out. I steamed with a pot of water and not a towel. Skin was soft and normal (usually dry) after the cleansing and I did not have to moisturize. I used a 25/75 castor and sunflower blend to start out.

Day 2: I had left over oil mix from the first day and impatient to see results, I tried it again the very next day. A bit more plugs came out, but only a few more. This time I steamed with a towel and was rubbing on semi dried face and a whole bunch of grainy things came out. But they were bigger and had some black fibres in them. I now know that they are actually dead skin from the surface, and either fibres that got onto my towel or the little hairs on the face. Skin is even softer (from being exfoliated no doubt).

Day 3: A few days after day 2. Mostly the same as the last time but I used a 50/50 mix and afterwards I had to moisturize because my skin felt dry. Less skin rubbed off.

Day 4: A lot of plugs came out while massaging, and more after steaming. I now re-apply more oil after steaming so I don't rub my skin off. The pores on one side of the cheek are noticeably less clogged but the stubborn blackheads on the side of the nose are still there.

Overall I'm happy with how it's going. I got 1 cystic pimple and a few whiteheads since starting but I can't tell if it's part of my normal breakouts or the OCM purging. I rarely ever get cystic pimples though. It takes me ~ 15 minutes each time but it's worth the hassle and mess for me if it's actually unclogging my pores. I'll come back and update after a month.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2011 1:50:00 PM More reviews by RMutt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After hearing raves about the OCM, I thought I would try it out. I didn't have great results with jojoba or olive oil. I now use about 6 parts flax oil to one part castor oil. The other tricks I've learned are to do it after a hot shower (but dry skin first), heat the oil in warm tap water by putting the oils in a glass and submerging the glass in the sink with warm water. Heating the oil a bit really makes a difference, as does really massaging your skin until you feel the plugged pores loosening. It makes my skin very soft and doesn't make me break out and I have acne prone skin. It's a good once a week ritual, but I wouldn't do it more than that. Sometimes it encourages white heads to rise to the surface so a quick once over with a washcloth scrapes them off without too much trauma to the skin. I think you have to find the right oil for your skin (most people use sunflower oil but I find flax to be smoother and less drippy). I finish up by dabbing a mix of rosehip, hyssop, camelia & jojoba oils and leave these on overnight. My skin feels happy, calm & buttery in the am.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2011 2:48:00 PM More reviews by ColdFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I gave OCM a shot after feeling like I'd tried everything to help with my acne. I liked the idea of using natural products on my face, so I thought I'd give it a go.
I did OCM for about 6 weeks before giving up. I tried castor, grapeseed, tea tree, and jojoba oil in varying concentrations. At first I used about 60/40 castor and grapeseed oil with a few drops of TTO, and it worked great. The oil production on my face decreased greatly, and my skin felt so good. No flakes, no oilies, just smoothness. I did experience some bumps under the skin that never built into full-blown pimples, they just stayed there. I thought maybe it was purging but they never went away.
On the whiteheads I already had, OCM dried them up and they healed pretty quickly. Any inflamed red pimples flattened out and the redness went away gradually. The little bumps never went away and eventually spread to new parts of my face where I'd never broken out before, like my forehead. Then some of them started to build into cysts and they still wouldn't go away.
Basically, OCM gave me glowy, supple skin that was marred by weird and stubborn breakouts. I fiddled with my oil mixture, tried different steaming methods as well as the frequency of steaming, I tried toners, I tried different moisturizers and topicals...eventually I got frustrated and just quit altogether. I wish it had worked better for me, but now I'm trying the acne.org regimen, which is working brilliantly. Thankfully I didn't spend too much money on OCM stuff, but I wasted a lot of time trying to make it work.
If you have tricky skin, give it a try because it really works for some people, but be prepared to do some research and meddling before you see results, and just know that they might not be the results you want.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2011 1:20:00 AM More reviews by erinmaui9

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

At first, doing OCM made my skin very oily and caused my acne to worsen. Nevertheless, I still decided to continue because I thought that this might be the initial reaction my face. But as months passed by - roughly 2 months - I saw an improvement. The bumps just dried out and though new ones still come out but eventually they dried out fast and left no mark - I also forced myself to not prick or touch any of it. My concoction is composed of 60% castor oil, 30% jojoba oil and 10% tea tree oil.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2011 2:04:00 AM More reviews by Ryokumuji

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Sadly, OCM just did not work for me. The first couple of weeks were great. My skin seemed less oily and I liked that fact that it was such a cheap way to cleanse my face. But then I started breaking out in places that were clear before I tried OCM and in places I normally never get zits at all. So I decided to stop. I also noticed strange bumps on my skin that I had never had before. Some turned into full blow inflamed zits and some just went away on their own once I stopped OCM. My face definitely ended up looking worse than it did before I tried OCM, but not as bad as some of the horror stories I've heard when OCM goes bad. I was using organic extra virgin olive oil by the way. Perhaps it's just the olive oil that was too much for my skin but I definitely don't want to experiment only to end up with even worse results. Try this at your own risk.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2010 12:12:00 AM More reviews by Olive143

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

6/28/11 - Absolutely love washing my face with the OCM. I love how my skin glows and feels now!! Nothing like a good steam cleanse to exfoliate skin of all that gunk that builds up and expose fresh, youthful skin. For my sensitive skin, I skip days by not using the hot wash cloth to steam and wipe. What I do is use the coconut oil to gently rub my makeup off then use a foaming face wash to cleanse away the oil.
******************************************************************************

I love the fact that I'm using pure goodies on my skin compared to the list of 'who knows what' ingredients on typical facial cleansers. I think this is the good old fashion way to remove makeup and keep your face moisturized. I use NOW jojoba oil. Lately have been using coconut oil. 90% of the time my skin is now balanced, no more dryness, bumps and itchies be gone. My milia is finally now going away. Takes a while to get this process down, but so worth it if you want pretty skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/10/2010 2:11:00 PM More reviews by AB7766

I am relieved that others have experienced the same issues as me - OCM working wonders for a few weeks, and then turning your skin to hell.

My combination skin was pretty clear to begin with, but I dealt with an oily t-zone, blackheads, and the occasional pimple. In cooler weather, salicylic cleansers and water-based moisturizers didn't seem to be cutting it. I've always read that oil will make me break out, but after reading all the rave reviews on OCM, I was intrigued.

Almost immediately I noticed that my skin felt and looked hydrated and calmed. I could feel plugs being lifted from my pores and my makeup melted off. My skin looked so bright and even! After a few days, I started noticing some pimples around my eyes and jawline (probably where I didn't rinse off the oil), so I cut down to using OCM once a day and followed with a mild cleanser.

About two weeks later, it looked as if every pore on my forehead and around my nose were blocked. The blocked pores either turned into small, flesh-colored bumps or full-blown red pimples. When I wasn't battling pimples, I was trying to get rid of the bumps. It seemed like the only way to get rid of the bumps was to open them, causing them to form into a full-blown pimple. Blackheads got much worse as well. It turned into a never ending cycle of picking and treating.

I stopped using the OCM, but I am still battling breakouts two months later. I tried switching to a moisturizer with oil in it, but even that broke me out. So while I love the feel of oil and it's cleansing properties, it doesn't seem to work for my skin.

It's quite possible that I wasn't using the right type of oil, or it's just that the oil was mixing with other substances - my makeup, sebum, etc. It's also possible that I was going through a "purge" and things would've cleared up eventually, but I wasn't brave enough to test that theory.

The worst part is that, though a lot of the pimpes have cleared up, they leave a horrible dark mark which makes me have to slather on concealer every day. Blemished skin = serious drop in self esteem

Now it's winter and it seems that anything without oil just won't hydrate my face. So I can either have clear skin that looks tight and dry (and old), or blemished, pimply skin that looks hydrated.

I just bought a new natural cream cleanser and, while it has oil in it, it feels like it rinses off clean. Here's to hoping that my skin will FINALLY clear up and those dark spots will fade. To those for whom OCM worked - I'm envious!

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No