Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

3.3

oil

on 11/29/2011 1:20:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have read the first page of your comments, done extensive research on OCM and various outcomes by people who have experimented. I tried OCM with ONLY EVOO b/c I didn't have any CO on hand. Then I did the reading and research in trying to find out why so many had 2 or so weeks of great results and then a total face break out. I found this warning at this site:http://skinverse.com/castor-oils-many-uses-for-beautiful-skin-and-hair.html#Castoroilacne "BE SURE TO USE ONLY COLD PRESSED OR COLD DRAWN CASTOR OIL THAT IS HEXANE FREE. ANY OTHER KIND COULD CLOG YOUR PORES. Another good reason to use cold pressed castor oil instead of refined castor oil is that COLD PRESSED OILS RETAIN MUCH MORE OF THEIR VALUABLE NUTRIENTS." It then goes on to give the percentages of fatty free acids & carotenoids removed in the process.

IMHO, it sounds as if possibly the TYPE of castor oil being used in some of the mixtures may be causing significant clogging that is building up instead of being fully removed and eventually causing the horrible break outs.
Castor oil is a very thick and sticky oil. It is used as a lubricant in automobiles (Castrol Motor Oil?) but only recommended for autos that will be having their motors rebuilt frequently, as in race cars, as it eventually "gunks" up. It is thick and builds up.
I will be doing further research before adding castor oil to my OCM but DEFINITELY will be ONLY using the cold-pressed version. Perhaps this information may be helpful to some of you "beautiful" ladies (& gents?). "Food for thought!" Will report back after I have had sufficient time to use and test my so called theory.

on 10/29/2011 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

At first this product used on it's own worked fantastically- soft supple glowing skin.... Then I noticed I was getting more blackheads around my hairline and under my jaw than usual. I suspect that the excess oil was accumulating in these areas and dirt and dead skin was gathering here. I loved how my skin looked so didn't want to give this up but I hated the additional oil clogging in my already congested skin. I think the problem is that the OCM does go into the pores and soften the dirt / old skin buildup etc, BUT I think that unless you have a method for getting the softened sebum / dirt out of your pores, the additional oil may add to any congestion by becoming trapped with the material in your pores and causing blackheads etc.

I came up with an awesome solution. I use this as a first step in a treatment process. So I do the OCM (castor /sunflower seed oil with a few drops of lavender oil to kill bacteria and let the aromatherapy soothe me) then after the OCM process I use a clay mask! It draws all the softened sebum and dirt lurking in my pores out to the surface as well as soaking up the residual oil.. So happy with this method now and solved the congestion problem. Depending on what I am going for, I'll sometimes add aspirin to the mask to oomph up the pore cleansing a action or I'll add green tea as the liquid in the mask and the contents of the tea bag to get an antioxidant effect at the same time as cleaning up the pores. Hope this helps - it certainly solved my issues with any congestion problems I has with OCM and I get to keep my soft supple skin.

The lippies I have this method as for my full regime not the ocm step exclusively :)

on 10/20/2011 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I had the same problem with OCM that a lot of people seem to be having. Worked great at first and then all of a sudden clogged pores and acne like crazy. It's taken weeks to get my skin back to normal and with such a fair complexion you can still see the marks. Boo!

I tried several different formulations and oils (including castor, olive, kukui, apricot, and jojoba) once I noticed the problems starting and it only gradually got worse. I finally had to give up on it. I'm glad it works for some people, and I can understand why they like it. My skin looked amazing for the first week or so. Really wish it would have kept working.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I had the same problem firewoman1211 had at first. I found out that I couldn't use castor oil or coconut oil. For my facial cleansing. Those are mediuim oils which are comedogenic.

Use non comedogenic oil like almond, sesame, avacado, sunflower, mink, evening primrose, olive oil, and jojoba. Also try to mix with apple cidar vinegar. I do every once in a while.

What i did was instead of using castor oil. I use unrefind spectrums sesame oil with two drops of peppermint organic oil. When I was least expecting it about a month went by, all of a sudden my scars and blackheads had vanished. I was shocked that this oil cleansing was effective. So far so good. If anything happens I will up date.

Directions

Use microwave bowl add 2 cups of water.
Heat water in microwave for 4 minutes.
Apply and massage oil on face while water heating.
Hold face over the bowl for steam 2 to 3 minutes.
Put face towl in bowl while water is still warm, wipe oil off. Pat dry.
(Opitional )Apply serum and light moisturizer.

I purchased my amber glass droplet from amazon. To store my cleanser in. 2tbsp of seasame oil with 2 drops of peppermint oil.

on 10/8/2011 10:32:00 AM

I just want to warn everyone to be careful. This gave me the worst skin of my 32 year old life. I have acne prone skin, but my face was mostly clear when I decided to try this. I used jojoba oil and like others my face looked pretty good and felt very soft at first. After a few days I started to notice my face would turn very red after cleansing. Then after about two weeks my face started to break out... everywhere!!! Every inch of my face had a pimple on it. They just kept coming. Every morning I had a new breakout. I stoped the ocm and went back to a regular cleanser. I have been using the regular cleanser for two weeks now and my face is starting to get back to normal although there are some scars left behind and some pimples that just dont want to go away.

on 9/16/2011 12:05:00 AM

I never heard of the OCM until I read it here on MUA. While my head "got" that it made sense, having combination skin made me worried. Eh, so I tried it anyway ... 75% grapseed oil and 25% castor oil. I definitely could tell it cleaned very well and I was surprised that my face wasn't greasy at ALL afterward (I used a washcloth with very warm water, wiped my face, rinsed the washcloth and wiped once more). I also started using Rose Hip seed oil at this time. I was VERY surprised there I wasn't greasy, but I wasn't! Then after a few days, I felt like my skin was sorta bumpy .. not with pimples, but just the texture, so I stopped for a few days. I kept reading on this cleansing method, and with just about everyone having such good results, I tried again ... the "bumpies" did go away after a few days, although I still can't find an explanation for them. Something I also do every once in awhile that I haven't seen done here and is my main reason for writing this review is that maybe 2 or 3 times a week, after I massage the oil in for a minute or two, I put some Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay on my fingertips and massage it in like a scrub. I have to say that before I started this new regimen, even though my skin was oily in the T-zone with blackheads and some whiteheads, it just started looking dry and, I dunno, overworked? Since using this method, I am not as oily, my skin texture is much more refined, and blackheads, etc. are diminishing by the day, not to mention I am not needing to use as much foundation. I do believe now that when you try to dry out your oily skin or oily areas, it just makes it produce more oil. I'm SO glad I gave this a second try!

on 9/3/2011 10:02:00 AM

I've been using 90% grapeseed oil 10% castor oil for a few weeks now and the difference is pretty amazing.

My skin is on the dryish side and my nose was always red I think from being dry. I'm a side sleeper and I always woke up with a crease down the side of my face due to that. Since using the OCM, I don't wake up with that crease anymore and my nose is no longer red. My skin definitely looks more supple. I also use straight grapeseed oil under my eyes before bed and I'd say the crepiness under my eyes has diminished by about 90%. Works better than any eyecream I've used and it seems to have gotten rid of all the little bumps that always looked like pre-milia in that area.

Definitely a keeper for me unless I start having a reaction down the road.

on 8/21/2011 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using the OCM method for roughly 6 months now. I absolutely love what ut has done for my complexion. My mixture of oils is a 50/50 combination of castor oil and grape seed oil. I also use a few drops of tea tree oil in this brew. My regiment consist of rubbing the OCM mixture onto my face and steaming for about 5 minutes, then I wipe off with a soft washcloth and splash my face with cool water. Since I have been using OCM my skin glows. I no longer need a separate moisturizer. Im almost 40 and the OCM method has helped preserve my skin. I suggest tweaking the oil ratios to individual skin needs.

on 8/21/2011 2:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

For me, this works and I'm not sure if I could possibly want to go back to using a standard cleanser. I used to use a mix of castor and olive oil but didn't see any difference between just using straight olive oil. It's natural, easy to get organic, and obviously vegan. I'm oily skinned and prone to blemishes so actually feeling that sebum and seeing that makeup get removed is just plain satisfying, something I never got from a gel. I haven't noticed any problems due to using OCM but if you do, you might want to try out cold cream instead for heavy duty dirt and makeup removal.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! This WRECKED my skin. I tried it to get rid of the pesky nose blackheads/sebum plugs, that never seem to come out unless I squeeze the crap out of them and deal with a red damaged nose for the next week. And they always come back. After reading lots of reviews, I decided to give it a try because it got a lot of great feedback. And in that feedback, there are a few terrifying, scary stories of people's skin getting ruined. Not me, I thought, I'll be ok, I reasoned. Commence first cleansing session. I decided to use olive oil only, because I didn't have the castor oil and I thought that oilve would be gentler.
It was awesome. Massaging my face and feeling all the little sand like grains that I assume were plugged pores feels so cool. I was in love. I did the steam thing and took a shower and everything was fine. My pores seemed smaller, my skin looked beautiful, and hydrated. I waited a whole week, and tried it again. Same thing, sand sebum plugs came out, skin looked great. I thought I had finally found the answer to my plugged nose pore problem, it seemed to good to be true. Cheap, effective, natural. But no.

A few days go by and I started feeling like I need to exfoliate my skin. Reaching up to feel my cheek durring the day I started feeling little bumps, tiny, orange peel skin type bumps. Unlike anything I have ever felt before. I tend to get a few random pimples, maybe a blackhead here and there, but my skin texture has always been great.

Fast forward a few more days and say hellooo to cystic, painful, huge swelling acne. All along my jawline, chin, cheekbones, forehead. It's like every pore in my face got an evacuation notice to the surface. Tiny blackheads on my cheeks, with little bumps, and new whiteheads everyday even though it's been a week since I used the OCM last. OH.MY.GOD.

Now I'm not sure if this is a "cleansing" or "purging" phase, but I'm too scared to continue it to see what happens.

Think seriously about trying this before you do. Are you willing to risk a month of disaster skin with potential scars?

I have never in my life had worse skin. I want to cry a little.