February 28, 2015 | 1225 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2011 10:02:00 AM More reviews by lorraineg

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using 90% grapeseed oil 10% castor oil for a few weeks now and the difference is pretty amazing.

My skin is on the dryish side and my nose was always red I think from being dry. I'm a side sleeper and I always woke up with a crease down the side of my face due to that. Since using the OCM, I don't wake up with that crease anymore and my nose is no longer red. My skin definitely looks more supple. I also use straight grapeseed oil under my eyes before bed and I'd say the crepiness under my eyes has diminished by about 90%. Works better than any eyecream I've used and it seems to have gotten rid of all the little bumps that always looked like pre-milia in that area.

Definitely a keeper for me unless I start having a reaction down the road.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2011 9:12:00 PM More reviews by ghostgrl74

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using the OCM method for roughly 6 months now. I absolutely love what ut has done for my complexion. My mixture of oils is a 50/50 combination of castor oil and grape seed oil. I also use a few drops of tea tree oil in this brew. My regiment consist of rubbing the OCM mixture onto my face and steaming for about 5 minutes, then I wipe off with a soft washcloth and splash my face with cool water. Since I have been using OCM my skin glows. I no longer need a separate moisturizer. Im almost 40 and the OCM method has helped preserve my skin. I suggest tweaking the oil ratios to individual skin needs.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2011 2:50:00 AM More reviews by Selenite

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For me, this works and I'm not sure if I could possibly want to go back to using a standard cleanser. I used to use a mix of castor and olive oil but didn't see any difference between just using straight olive oil. It's natural, easy to get organic, and obviously vegan. I'm oily skinned and prone to blemishes so actually feeling that sebum and seeing that makeup get removed is just plain satisfying, something I never got from a gel. I haven't noticed any problems due to using OCM but if you do, you might want to try out cold cream instead for heavy duty dirt and makeup removal.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2011 2:27:00 AM More reviews by pursuitxofxperfectxskin

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! This WRECKED my skin. I tried it to get rid of the pesky nose blackheads/sebum plugs, that never seem to come out unless I squeeze the crap out of them and deal with a red damaged nose for the next week. And they always come back. After reading lots of reviews, I decided to give it a try because it got a lot of great feedback. And in that feedback, there are a few terrifying, scary stories of people's skin getting ruined. Not me, I thought, I'll be ok, I reasoned. Commence first cleansing session. I decided to use olive oil only, because I didn't have the castor oil and I thought that oilve would be gentler.
It was awesome. Massaging my face and feeling all the little sand like grains that I assume were plugged pores feels so cool. I was in love. I did the steam thing and took a shower and everything was fine. My pores seemed smaller, my skin looked beautiful, and hydrated. I waited a whole week, and tried it again. Same thing, sand sebum plugs came out, skin looked great. I thought I had finally found the answer to my plugged nose pore problem, it seemed to good to be true. Cheap, effective, natural. But no.

A few days go by and I started feeling like I need to exfoliate my skin. Reaching up to feel my cheek durring the day I started feeling little bumps, tiny, orange peel skin type bumps. Unlike anything I have ever felt before. I tend to get a few random pimples, maybe a blackhead here and there, but my skin texture has always been great.

Fast forward a few more days and say hellooo to cystic, painful, huge swelling acne. All along my jawline, chin, cheekbones, forehead. It's like every pore in my face got an evacuation notice to the surface. Tiny blackheads on my cheeks, with little bumps, and new whiteheads everyday even though it's been a week since I used the OCM last. OH.MY.GOD.

Now I'm not sure if this is a "cleansing" or "purging" phase, but I'm too scared to continue it to see what happens.

Think seriously about trying this before you do. Are you willing to risk a month of disaster skin with potential scars?

I have never in my life had worse skin. I want to cry a little.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by tasha56

I have been experimenting with OCM for just over two months and although this method is not without its downsides, I love the results so far and I can already tell that I will not be cleaning my face with commercial products anymore. I am still in the process of finding the right combination and ratio of oils for me so this review might be a little premature, but I intend to update as I go along.

MY SKIN: I used to have combination skin with dehydration lines across my forehead and I usually break out a little during that time of the month.

THE OILS I USE: I mix about 70% Jojoba Oil with 30% Castor Oil. I strongly suggest paying a little extra for the organic cold pressed kind for all the oils you use. I have had better results with them. I would like to mention that I moisturize my face with avocado oil (organic, cold pressed…) almost every night. I tried adding this oil to the OCM mixture and I didn’t like it as much.

MY OCM METHOD: After I shower in the evening I take my mixture and massage into my face and neck while they are still damp. I do this for 5mins or so. I tried holding the hot towel over my face after washing it with the oils, but I did not like it and I am not sure how or why this is beneficial. I did not see any difference when I skipped this step. Instead, I clean off the oil with Spectro Jel as soon as I am done my massaging. I clean my face with Spectro Jel in the morning as well. Also, I do NOT do OCM every night. I try to limit it to twice a week. I can see how this method can become addicting, but I believe that nightly would be too much for my skin to take. OCM is powerful !

EXPERIENCE: The first time I did OCM I used Castor Oil from the laxative section of my local drugstore & mixed it with Jojoba Oil. I eyeballed the amounts, but I must have used too much Castor oil because my face was extremely dry afterward. I did feel the sebum plugs and blackhead pop right out of my face so I knew that it was working. It is quite amazing and hard to believe at first. The next few times I tweaked the mixture and used more Jojoba Oil. Each time I could see the little blackheads and plugs fall into my hands. Soon afterward, I changed to a cold pressed, organic castor oil and I found it to be softer on my skin and pulling out even more plugs in less time.

RESULTS: The blackheads on my nose and cheeks cleared up, but for a while my pores also looked a lot bigger. I was getting worried, but now my pores have shrunk! Moreover, the dehydration lines I used to have are gone…. my skin is plumper... fuller… and it glows! However, and like I mentioned above, OCM is not without its pitfalls. When it is that time of the month I break out a lot less, but I get at least one big boil somewhere on my face. The first time I actually got two: one on my upper cheek and another on my forehead. They were big, painful and deeply rooted. I never had boils like these in my life. I tried to pop the one on my cheek but that was impossible and I am left with a little red blemish. I did not touch the one on my forehead but it slowly shrunk and I can see a tiny little scar where it was. It looks like a big pore now. Last week I had my period, and I got a big boil on my temple and I am still waiting for it to shrink and fade. These blemishes are fading slowly (emphasis on the slowly), and it might take months before they are completely gone. I think this is just how I am purging and adapting to OCM, but I have to be honest and admit that I am a little scared to be left with scars or huge breakouts. The rest of my face is completely clear and that is what keeps me going.

ADDITIONAL TIPS: Try buying or at least storing the oils in an amber bottle & storing this in the fridge. This will prolong the life of your oils.
Make sure your hands, towels (if you use one) and bottles are clean. Try finding a pump bottle as this is more hygienic. Be careful not to contaminate the oils; this is essential to prevent breakouts!!
Wear a bandana or tie your hair back before starting the OCM if not you will get everything in your hair.

I hope this was helpful!!!

Dec 9th 2011 update:
When reviews say this ruined their skin, THEY MEANT IT.
I stop doing this in August because I couldn’t handle it anymore. It is now December and my skin still has not recovered. It looks better then it did in August, but not like before. I still have pesky white bumps down my cheeks and neck, and nothing makes them go away… except popping them. I also get painful hard bumps on my face, I don't know what they are, I pop them and they are filled with grease. It is disgusting.
Not only did this mess up my skin, I had to switch from a med coverage foundation (Chanel VA) to a full coverage one (Revlon CS) and my skin gets extremely greasy during the day... something I never had to deal with before.
The initial results are spectacular, so make sure to read the reviews written by people who have been doing this for a long time. I think it is too easy to say "you didn't clean the oil off", “you didn’t cleanse your skin afterward” or "you were using the wrong oils for your skin". Maybe our skin hangs onto sebum for a reason? And about that “purging stage’- there was no way I could handle scars, painful boils and greasy skin for my longer. No way. Worst part is that my skin was fine to begin with.

Consider yourself warned.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2011 7:02:00 PM More reviews by reevgo

Oh. my. good. ness. Ok so before OCM my skin was fine. Not perfect, but just fine. Of course fine wasn't good enough, so I decided to try OCM in the hopes to end my quest for perfect skin. Here's the thing: in the past, for several months, I had put a thin layer of olive oil on my skin every night as a moisturizer, and never broke out or clogged pores. So I thought my skin liked oils. Well, I don't know what is wrong with it, but OCM worked great for exactly two weeks. Pores unclogging, blackheads minimizing, glowing skin. Everything seemed great. Then magically, around the three week mark, I got a sudden DRAMATIC, RED, ACNE-ISH RASH. Just red bumps EVERYWHERE! ALL over forehead, cheeks, nose , chin, mouth area, temples. Just plain everywhere. I stopped right away, of course, but the damage was done. They became whiteheads eventually. It took two weeks just for the actual bumps to leave, and now it's been a month, and all the red marks are still needing to fade away. The main thing is just how horribly sickeningly RED my entire face was. Just really dramatic irritation. My skin is definitely returning to normal, but it's been a long road, and many days I was literally ashamed to be seen even by family.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2011 5:08:00 AM More reviews by justilou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

*EDIT 2*
I discovered my clogging and rosacea were caused by demodex (eyelash) mites which normally live in the roots of your eyelashes, ingesting sebum. They had been feasting on the oils I had been using and migrating and causing inflammation as they buried themselves into my face pores. I had to nuke them with horrid, toxic anti-mite cream which irritated my poor skin further. Since then I have made my own oil-based balm which I remove with a cloth, then re-cleanse with a clay-based cleanser. I follow with an exfoliating toner, then a hydrating mist of rose water and glyceerine. My skin is better than ever before.

***Edit - I tried this for about a year. It was great at first, but then I noticed that my skin began to clog, and in unusual places - like the tops of my cheekbones. I have returned to using a gentle wipe-off cleanser, but will use OCM to deep cleanse once a month.

I have been using this method for about three months now. My skin has become very sensitive (rosacea?) and is prone to redness, and sore, dry, flaky and itchy spots - especially along cheekbones and eyes. Not glam. Most of the sensitive skin cleansing products that I used seemed to irritate further, and leave my skin feeling cloggy and grainy. Most left a plastic-feeling layer on top. I started oil cleansing accidentally, when I was using baby oil to remove eye makeup, (but freaking about petrochemicals) and decided to try on rest of my face - wow! Within minutes of massaging in the shower with the oil, it felt like a gentle exfoliant - which I later discovered was because of the hardened sebum plugs loosening. I have now swapped to jojoba/castor oil blend, which I have put in a small, metal pump bottle, as I learned the hard way that slippery, oily hands, glass bottles and porcelain sinks don't mix. (Broken bottle and chipped sink). I have also squeezed the contents of two sea buckthorn oil capsules into the mix, and it makes the blend less "waxy" feeling, gives a bit of healthy colour and adds more nutrients. It feels like it's sinking in much better. I have switched from using a heavy-ish mineral concealer and powder foundation to using a light, tinted moisturiser (if I could be bothered) and everyone's commenting on how fab my skin is looking. Have noticed fine lines seem much softer, and have just ordered derma roller to scare them off further. Will keep you informed!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2011 10:23:00 PM More reviews by ayaspiralout

Like others, this made my skin look AMAZING for a couple weeks. I would put foundation on one side of my face and the side without foundation looked better, which was insane. I felt like I took the right precautions- I used barely any castor oil, the vast majority jojoba oil, and I only did it once every day or every other day, and I removed it completely afterward. After a few weeks my forehead became really bumpy and clogged, and progressed down to my cheeks over the next couple days, and it didn't stop. I haven't used OCM for about two weeks now and my skin is just now starting to return to "normal." Once my skin is back to normal I may try doing this about once a week to see if I can get it looking how it did before my skin flipped out. It is pretty amazing how you can massage out the sebum plugs!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Ashante0501

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I came by this method via another routine, my hair sealing routine with castor oil at night. I noticed after about a week, my face was so smooth and after about 2 weeks much clearer. It was then I researched castor oil and came across the oil cleansing method. If I had not experience my results prior to knowing about the OCM, I probably would have been skeptical about oil clearing oil from the skin. Low and behold, this is the best skin care routine I have ever tried for my oily skin. I am 45 years old and have been fighting oily/acne prone skin since I was 13 years old, other than during pregnancy :). For me this has worked wonders! I still get an occasional pimple right before my period, but compare to before I can live with the 1 pimple. I am still tweaking the ratio of castor oil to olive oil and I really want to try the sunflower oil in place of olive oil. I get compliments all the time on my skin and am asked often what I use. I don't wear make-up anymore, hallelujah!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2011 4:28:00 PM More reviews by Rtay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted this to work so much! After all the positive reviews I thought ok, this is the one! But sadly as i should have know, it wasn't - I say this because my skin despite being eczema prone and dry cannot tolerate oil as I break out often too. Well I was already using EVOO to remove my make up - following it with liz earle cleanse and polish. I was so looking forward to the plugging effect - alas is didn't happen which saddened me greatly. Despite this I powered on, and after my first try i was left feeling greasy - despite toning after - my skin felt dry yet greasy - not a good feeling - and moreover it broke me out something rotten - whiteheads and cyctic bumps. I realise this may have been purging but it really wasn't worth it. I used 1:3 of EVOO and Castor Oil, tbh i think it as the castor that didn't agree, as after 2days I changed the formula to replace the EVOO with jojoba oil and the same thing really - my plugs surfaced more and my face was blotchy and red. *sigh* im fed up! After my face exploded I washed with Liz Earle and my skin calmed right down - but it alone doesn't keep me clear. I'm going to try jojoba as a make up remover and continue with liz earle - if that fails I may just jump off a cliff instead!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No