Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

3.3

oil

on 12/19/2011 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This review is for the OCM - personally I use grapeseed oil/castor oil. approx. 50/50. - I HAVE COMBINATION SKIN - THIS MAY NOT BE THE BEST OIL FOR DRY SKIN.
It's best to buy the bottles and tranfer is into smaller travel size bottles for contamination purposes. I got my grapeseed oil for $3.99 CAD and castor oil for $9.99 CAD.
A lot of people are saying that they HATE this method because they're saying how it worked great and their skin was glowing and bright and clear and then a couple days/weeks later, BOOM, their face breaks out.
Some possible causes for your breakouts could be:
-Not using non-comedogenic oils (give jojaba oil a try)
-Not massaging your face long enough (the dirt and oil is only half way out and then you stop, causing a blockage)
-Not rinsing the oil off completely *use a warm baby washcloth(try not to rub your face too much(this will cause irritation) Hold the washcloth onto your face then gently wipe off the oil in a downward/outward motion(pushing up will push the oil into your pores). Don't forget to wipe around your hairline!!! Repeat- wet the washcloth a few times and do this. *
Last but not least, TIME! You need to give your face time to adjust and time to purge. The oil(especially castor) is sucking/dissolving the sebum from your pores. Thats why people say that they are feeling tiny grain like pieces on their face when they massage. Those are blackheads/impurities/dead skin cells popping out from the oil.
Your skin will purge before it gets better. The reason that you get pimples from this is because the oil is pulling up the oil from the deeper layers of the skin(causing a cyst, or a pustule). BUT with continued use, you will eventually pull that pimple to the surface(the top layer of skin).
* Another reviewer suggested using a clay mask after doing this method- I think thats a great idea! this will help absorb excess oil. My dermatologist always suggests masks because they stay on longer that cleansers so you really benefit from them*

Overall, I think this is a great method for deep cleansing/removing makeup. I do not use this method everyday. Every second of third day is better for me because the castor oil can dry out my skin. *ALWAYS USE A MOISTURIZER, EVEN AFTER THIS METHOD + EVEN FOR OILY SKIN TYPES* OIL DOES NOT MEAN MOISTURE! :)

Hope this helps! P.S. Check out my notepad for my cleansing method and masks, along with tips and tricks for a healthier, clearer complexion :)

UPDATE: For some people, depending on the kind of oil used, they may need to add an emulsifier since Water does NOT dissolve oil. Other people may not need it. It's completely personal preference. A lot of people are adding 5% Polysorbate 80(an emulsifier) to the mix. :)

on 12/17/2011 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Day One: Last night I tried the ocm using 100% castor oil. I massaged it onto my skin for about 7 minutes and I felt about 2 little "sand" like particles come out from my skin. Then I used a clean wash cloth soaked in hot-ish water and wiped away some oil. Then, I filled up my bathroom sink with hot water and steamed my face for about 10 minutes. Wet my wash cloth again, and wiped away again. Then I used my Purpose facial cleanser to mildly "clean" my wash cloth. I soaked it in hot-ish water again, and buffed my skin with it this time. Maybe once more just to make sure that I got as most oil as I could off my face.
I woke up to beautiful, glowing skin. I touched my chin and nose area, which are always rough to the touch because of clogged pores, and dang it felt SO smooth. My one blemish that I have didn't go away, just became less red. All I did in the morning was rinse my face with warm water, then splashed some cold water on it to close my pores. Then I sprayed my beloved rosewater on. Throughout my day I wasn't less oily, sad to say, but I think because the castor oil dries out my skin, causing me to still produce all the oil that I usually do, so I might add another thinner oil. I'm also debating on weather or not to wash my face in the morning with a facial wash, because I don't want that to interrupt the effects of ocm. I will start to use baby wash cloths because those are a lot more gentle than wash cloths.
I will update after my first week of using the ocm. (:

on 12/16/2011 4:47:00 AM

OK, Ladies.
Let me make something clear about the OCM method.
First of all, I don't think that it's suitable for everybody. My sister for example has been using it for 5 months and her skin is like baby's bottom (and she's 30). For me it wasn't great, at least to say. I have ended up with cystic acne after using it.
Yes, you should use castor oil for this method, but bare in mind that you should castor oil should make AT MOST only quarter of your oil blends. Why? Because it has been proved by science, that castor oil has the most similar formula to our natural sebum. What does that mean? It means that the more castor oil you will use, the more sebum you will remove from your skin. Most of you will think,oh that's great, it will make my skin clear. WRONG!!!!! Your skin will think, that something is not right and will start to produce more and more sebum, as it's function is to protect your skin. So remember: the more sebum you will try to remove, the more sebum your organism will produce.
So for example you can make blend, which contains 75% of apricot kernel oil and 25% of castor oil. NO MORE
ANOTHER THING
You will not remove this oil blend from your skin simply by rinsing it off with water. Use muslin cloth. It will exfoliate your skin gently.
How to do it?
Rub you oil blend on your face. In the meantime, soak the muslin cloth in hot water. Squeeze excess of water and place the muslin cloth on your face. Leave for about half a minute. The heat from the muslin cloth will open your pores. NO RUBBING AT THIS STAGE!!!!
Rinse the muslin cloth in hot water and place it on your face again, pressing it gently, then you can start rubbing. Repeat.
At the end rinse your muslin cloth in cold water and place it on your face. By doing so, you will make sure that your pores will close.
After that you can apply rose water tonic and moisturizer, or just leave it.
As I have said, I really don't think that this method is for everybody. It may work for some, and some people may end up with the worst acne ever.

on 12/13/2011 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been doing the OCM with straight castor oil for 2 months now and my skin looks better! My skin used to be super oily but now the oil production has gone down immensely. My skin used to be so red and blotchy, and now the tone is much more even. I've still had some breakouts, but that's because I slip up on my limited-sugar diet. The only problem is that my blackheads haven't gone away... I'm going to look for a lighter oil to fix that problem.

Update: Honey has worked a ton better than this. My skin would have this oily residue and blackheads, but both of these problems have been fixed by honey. I dab on a tiny bit of argan oil as a moisturizer and still have all the benefits of OCM without the drawbacks!

on 11/29/2011 1:20:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have read the first page of your comments, done extensive research on OCM and various outcomes by people who have experimented. I tried OCM with ONLY EVOO b/c I didn't have any CO on hand. Then I did the reading and research in trying to find out why so many had 2 or so weeks of great results and then a total face break out. I found this warning at this site:http://skinverse.com/castor-oils-many-uses-for-beautiful-skin-and-hair.html#Castoroilacne "BE SURE TO USE ONLY COLD PRESSED OR COLD DRAWN CASTOR OIL THAT IS HEXANE FREE. ANY OTHER KIND COULD CLOG YOUR PORES. Another good reason to use cold pressed castor oil instead of refined castor oil is that COLD PRESSED OILS RETAIN MUCH MORE OF THEIR VALUABLE NUTRIENTS." It then goes on to give the percentages of fatty free acids & carotenoids removed in the process.

IMHO, it sounds as if possibly the TYPE of castor oil being used in some of the mixtures may be causing significant clogging that is building up instead of being fully removed and eventually causing the horrible break outs.
Castor oil is a very thick and sticky oil. It is used as a lubricant in automobiles (Castrol Motor Oil?) but only recommended for autos that will be having their motors rebuilt frequently, as in race cars, as it eventually "gunks" up. It is thick and builds up.
I will be doing further research before adding castor oil to my OCM but DEFINITELY will be ONLY using the cold-pressed version. Perhaps this information may be helpful to some of you "beautiful" ladies (& gents?). "Food for thought!" Will report back after I have had sufficient time to use and test my so called theory.

on 10/29/2011 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

At first this product used on it's own worked fantastically- soft supple glowing skin.... Then I noticed I was getting more blackheads around my hairline and under my jaw than usual. I suspect that the excess oil was accumulating in these areas and dirt and dead skin was gathering here. I loved how my skin looked so didn't want to give this up but I hated the additional oil clogging in my already congested skin. I think the problem is that the OCM does go into the pores and soften the dirt / old skin buildup etc, BUT I think that unless you have a method for getting the softened sebum / dirt out of your pores, the additional oil may add to any congestion by becoming trapped with the material in your pores and causing blackheads etc.

I came up with an awesome solution. I use this as a first step in a treatment process. So I do the OCM (castor /sunflower seed oil with a few drops of lavender oil to kill bacteria and let the aromatherapy soothe me) then after the OCM process I use a clay mask! It draws all the softened sebum and dirt lurking in my pores out to the surface as well as soaking up the residual oil.. So happy with this method now and solved the congestion problem. Depending on what I am going for, I'll sometimes add aspirin to the mask to oomph up the pore cleansing a action or I'll add green tea as the liquid in the mask and the contents of the tea bag to get an antioxidant effect at the same time as cleaning up the pores. Hope this helps - it certainly solved my issues with any congestion problems I has with OCM and I get to keep my soft supple skin.

The lippies I have this method as for my full regime not the ocm step exclusively :)

on 10/20/2011 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I had the same problem with OCM that a lot of people seem to be having. Worked great at first and then all of a sudden clogged pores and acne like crazy. It's taken weeks to get my skin back to normal and with such a fair complexion you can still see the marks. Boo!

I tried several different formulations and oils (including castor, olive, kukui, apricot, and jojoba) once I noticed the problems starting and it only gradually got worse. I finally had to give up on it. I'm glad it works for some people, and I can understand why they like it. My skin looked amazing for the first week or so. Really wish it would have kept working.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I had the same problem firewoman1211 had at first. I found out that I couldn't use castor oil or coconut oil. For my facial cleansing. Those are mediuim oils which are comedogenic.

Use non comedogenic oil like almond, sesame, avacado, sunflower, mink, evening primrose, olive oil, and jojoba. Also try to mix with apple cidar vinegar. I do every once in a while.

What i did was instead of using castor oil. I use unrefind spectrums sesame oil with two drops of peppermint organic oil. When I was least expecting it about a month went by, all of a sudden my scars and blackheads had vanished. I was shocked that this oil cleansing was effective. So far so good. If anything happens I will up date.

Directions

Use microwave bowl add 2 cups of water.
Heat water in microwave for 4 minutes.
Apply and massage oil on face while water heating.
Hold face over the bowl for steam 2 to 3 minutes.
Put face towl in bowl while water is still warm, wipe oil off. Pat dry.
(Opitional )Apply serum and light moisturizer.

I purchased my amber glass droplet from amazon. To store my cleanser in. 2tbsp of seasame oil with 2 drops of peppermint oil.

on 10/8/2011 10:32:00 AM

I just want to warn everyone to be careful. This gave me the worst skin of my 32 year old life. I have acne prone skin, but my face was mostly clear when I decided to try this. I used jojoba oil and like others my face looked pretty good and felt very soft at first. After a few days I started to notice my face would turn very red after cleansing. Then after about two weeks my face started to break out... everywhere!!! Every inch of my face had a pimple on it. They just kept coming. Every morning I had a new breakout. I stoped the ocm and went back to a regular cleanser. I have been using the regular cleanser for two weeks now and my face is starting to get back to normal although there are some scars left behind and some pimples that just dont want to go away.

on 9/16/2011 12:05:00 AM

I never heard of the OCM until I read it here on MUA. While my head "got" that it made sense, having combination skin made me worried. Eh, so I tried it anyway ... 75% grapseed oil and 25% castor oil. I definitely could tell it cleaned very well and I was surprised that my face wasn't greasy at ALL afterward (I used a washcloth with very warm water, wiped my face, rinsed the washcloth and wiped once more). I also started using Rose Hip seed oil at this time. I was VERY surprised there I wasn't greasy, but I wasn't! Then after a few days, I felt like my skin was sorta bumpy .. not with pimples, but just the texture, so I stopped for a few days. I kept reading on this cleansing method, and with just about everyone having such good results, I tried again ... the "bumpies" did go away after a few days, although I still can't find an explanation for them. Something I also do every once in awhile that I haven't seen done here and is my main reason for writing this review is that maybe 2 or 3 times a week, after I massage the oil in for a minute or two, I put some Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay on my fingertips and massage it in like a scrub. I have to say that before I started this new regimen, even though my skin was oily in the T-zone with blackheads and some whiteheads, it just started looking dry and, I dunno, overworked? Since using this method, I am not as oily, my skin texture is much more refined, and blackheads, etc. are diminishing by the day, not to mention I am not needing to use as much foundation. I do believe now that when you try to dry out your oily skin or oily areas, it just makes it produce more oil. I'm SO glad I gave this a second try!