November 22, 2014 | 952 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 7:40:00 PM More reviews by KittySkyfish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've used mineral makeup for at least five years and have tried BE, Jane Iredale, Everyday Minerals (intensive formula), Prescriptives and Alima. Of them all, my favorite is Alima. Here's why:
INGREDIENTS: No bismuth, no cornstarch, no fluffy fillers. Alima’s ingredient list is very basic: Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide and Mica. That’s it. Also, the top two ingredients are natural sun blockers. That’s a big plus to me.
SHADES: I love Alima’s color organization system! Alima offers 60 shades plus custom blending of up to three existing shades. Each shade is numbered according to depth from 0 to 9 (palest to darkest) and categorized by undertone and in order of cool to warm: Cool (pink-based) , Neutral (peachy-slightly cool), Beige (peachy-slightly warm), Warm (yellow-based), Golden (strong yellow undertones) and Olive (neutral beige, no prominent yellow, peach or pink).
COVERAGE: I feel Alima gives buildable, sheer to moderate coverage. It blurs discolorations when applied lightly and will give smooth, even coverage with the proper application. For darker discolored areas and circles, I do need to use a concealer.
APPLICATION: It works well applied as a powder with a kabuki or mineral foundation brush, and it also works well (my favorite) when the minerals are transformed into a cream foundation by blending it first with a small amount light moisturizer. For oilier skintypes, try blending it with a silicone-based foundation primer instead of a moisturizer.
One thing I’ve noticed: if my face feels moist or filmy from moisturizer, I find applying Alima minerals dry with a brush can go on cakey and uneven because surface moisture is ‘grabbing’ the minerals. Solutions to this are to apply a powder primer first to dry up the skin or to apply it already blended with a moisturizer or silicone primer. Also, if it’s brushed on dry and the finish looks powdery, spritzing it with water will meld the minerals nicely to skin.
WEAR: With the cream foundation method, I find the minerals apply smoothly, the finish lasts longer throughout the day and the overall effect is less drying by the day’s end. For my combo-dry skin, I apply a few small drops of emu oil as a moisturizer (other skin oils are fine, too), then after it sinks in I apply a blend of Alima/facial lotion.
SKINTYPES: There is a tendency for minerals to be drying, so Alima would be least recommended for chronically dehydrated skin.
OVERALL: Highly recommended for anyone who likes mineral makeup or wants a foundation that has minimalist, sun protective ingredients. I give it a 5 lippie when comparing it to other mineral foundations as Alima is excellent. continued >>

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2010 6:59:00 PM More reviews by lisa356

I've been using this on and off for a few years now and still like it. I'm between W2 and W3. Both look natural on me. The jar is small enough for travel and one jar lasts me forever.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2010 9:11:00 PM More reviews by EasyBreezyFaith

Bare Minerals didn't work out for me. Not enough skin color pigments to choose from, so it looked ridiculous on my face. But alima has a huge variety of colors to try to match with your skin tone. That and you can order samples to try it out! I started using this at the end of 9th grade thanks to the wonderful reviews on make-up alley. I love how the color is matte and there aren't any hints of glitter in the powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2010 6:32:00 PM More reviews by eq2008

wow! I thought my Everyday Mineral Original Glo foundation was great, but now I love Alima even more. The coverage is much better and somehow it looks less powdery on my skin. As soon as I finish my Everyday minerals I will be ordering Alima in full size. I don't think I need the finishing powder for this foundation. Shipping took 2 days and I paid only $4.80 for shipping. I love it! They included 3 free shadow samples with my order but I don't think they are very pigmented. But that's another review.

UPDATE: alright, I couldn't wait to order from Alima. The major difference I've noticed from Everyday minerals is that Alima doesn't settle into my pores on my nose. I just ordered a full size jar of the foundation and I am so excited.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2010 11:06:00 AM More reviews by BrightEyes9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used Alima for over 4 years now. Now and then I try something else just to see if better products out there. There really aren't! I ALWAYS go back to Alima. With a concealor brush I can erase age spots instantly. Wears very well even with my slightly oily skin.

Pros: fairly inexpensive, very pure--no acne causing ingredients (everything causes me to break out even in my 40's), fab choice of colors (I create my own mixes once a year as my skin tone changes due to age, current facial treatments, seasons).

Cons: can look a little too powdery if I don't take the time to apply correctly. It takes under a minute once you get hang of it.

UPDATE 3/13/11:
I am still using this product. I really could never imagine using anything else. My greatest battle right now is as I begin to use more sunscreen, the makeup can seem kind of thick--but no way as thick than if I were to go back to a liquid foundation. As you become accustomed to this product, you begin to enjoy the very light consistency with buildable coverage. I never use a primer--personally do not see a difference when I do and I tend to go oily quicker instead of holding it at bay.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2009 9:39:00 AM More reviews by cookej

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My sensitive skin looked scalded after a brief attempt at wearing liquid foundation. I tried Alima N2 (NW20) on top of my moisturizer, and after a couple of days, redness was disappearing. Now 2 months later my sensitive skin has never looked better - no redness, no dryness, no clogged pores. I highly recommend trying this product! I also enjoy the finishing powder for a soft look.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2009 3:36:00 PM More reviews by NancyRaquel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

SO I have been using alima pure for a month now and I have to say I love it.
I have serious acne issues and was afraid I would not get enough covering on my scars. I used MAC powder and foundation for years now and only wished I could have known about Alima before I ever dared use MAC on my face (I remain faithful to MAC eye products). I tried other mmu's such as Bare Minerals and Laures but had no luck matching my skin. I have ranged from NC 42 to 44 but have found myself at NC 42 for a while. In Alima lingo that translates to W-5.

*** I must say I LOVE that Alima gives samples of blush and eyeshadow, that are meant to work with your skin tone *** I still have 2 cute sample packages of blush that I have but will be ordering the full container once I run out of it...

So this is what I have to say, if you have oily skin with acne issues than I recommend using this product...Also, I have been using tea tree oil (about 4 drops) mixed with Zia herbal moisture gel with horsetail extract day and night and am really seeing a difference in my skin. I no longer get oily after like 20 minutes, followed by smashbox photo finish light (oil free) and if a happen to break out, it dries out the next day with out becoming flaky...

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2009 1:41:00 AM More reviews by addictedtoyou

I've been using this foundation for just over a week. Got a few samples and I think I'm best matched with N2. I'm definitely going to purchase the full size. I'll update this review when Ive used it for awhile longer. This pro & con list is mostly just for me I guess...
Pros: *Huge colour selection. It's almost too big! ha ha. But I have been able to find a great colour match which doesn't happen that often. *Doesn't clog pores. So far at least. It's only been 7 days or more but my skin has improved if anything. No more clogged pores on my forehead, and my chin area is starting to look great again! It could be just a coincidence but thats why I'll update again soon. * Fairly good coverage. It's not full, I guess its med or sheer if you apply sparingly. You can mix it with your moisturiser to make it liquid which gives great coverage. *doesn't sweat off easily but still easy to remover at night. *wears well throughout the day or night.* reasonable price IMO. *great customer service and quick ship. and cheap fair sized samples!
Cons:I'm from Aust so I guess having to get it mailed all the way out here. *the fact that it's online only, you cant test the coulours in store but i guess even if here was a store it would still be in US so wouldn't work for me anyway ha.
I would give it a 5 cos I'm absolutely loving it but I won't give it HG status until I'm 100% sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2009 9:21:00 PM More reviews by caroline7502

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It has taken me a long time to make a decision on Alima, but I've finally decided that it's the best foundation I've tried. At first I didn't like it...thought it sank into my very fine lines, but I think I was applying it wrong because I don't get any of that now. I ordered samples in early July, and decided my best color was a combination (33%C2, 33%C3, and 33%N2). It perfectly matches my skin! I paid $22 for the mix instead of the regular $20, but I didn't mind paying extra considering I'm usually in too much of a hurry to mix my own. The look is natural, and I can cover imperfections easily (my skin is NOWHERE near perfect, I'm pimple prone).I just use the foundation as my concealer...works fine. Makes me look flawless even in fluorescent light w00t!

Customer service is great too...fast, friendly, and free samples that match your skin tone!! Huzzah!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2009 4:02:00 PM More reviews by mtycer

I received a sample of this in Neutral 3, which was too light and too neutral for my NC30ish skin.

PROS: Buildable coverage. Inexpensive. Does not contain Bismuth! Decently priced (Full Size: $20 (.24 oz/7.5 g)
Sample Size: $1.50 (petite jar, limit: 2 per color)). Decent lasting power.

CONS: No brick and mortar store to test out colors. Too many color choices to choose from (60 colors!), which is great and not so great.

Overall, I would definitely consider trying out other shades!