April 17, 2014 | 931 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Beautiful

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2005 10:01:00 PM More reviews by MyBuddy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have worn Beautiful for years, and I don't find it the least bit strong or overpowering. I'm confused when women say it is heavy and outdated, then happily spray on Pleasures Intense, Angel or Gucci Rush, which leaves a trail whenever I enter an office or elevator. I love these too, and I have them, but what is "heavy and dated" is in the eye of the beholder.

The increasing amount of asthma cases are mainly due to better diagnosis and early treatment, plus a thinning in the ozone layer and more pollution in our cities. Perfumes aren't going to increase allergies any more than pet ownership, or a prolonged ragweed season does. It makes sense to use Beautiful in moderation like any other perfume. This is a complex floral bouquet that suggests springtime, and it is a refreshing change from all the girly/sweet/tutti-fruiti/soap-and-water stuff out there.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2005 6:43:00 PM More reviews by Janay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yet another floral fragrance that fights with my body chemistry and sits on top of my skin, annoying me, until I scrub it off. This scent is simply too strong for me. I agree with some of the previous posters that perhaps heady florals have had their day and are not appropriate for present day, especially considering the increase in allergy and asthma cases.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2005 11:57:00 AM More reviews by lebon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wore this fragrance for a while in the mid-90's, but ultimately moved away from it because, like so many Lauder scents, it seemed to get too cloying and overpowering on me. Now, I am of the opinion that perfume today is intended for a slightly different purpose than the perfumes of the past (20, 30, 40 years ago). I think that today's scents are meant to be fresher, cleaner, so that it's difficult to pinpoint whether a woman is wearing perfume or whether you're catching the scent of soap and products -- a nice, clean mixture. (Or maybe that's just my take on an ideal fragrance.) In the past, I think, perfumes were intended to be noticed and recognized as perfumes -- they were stronger, more distinct. And I think that a lot of the older EL fragrances fall into this category, like Estee, Cinnabar, and Private Collection. I would say that Beautiful is sort of on the fringes of that old perfume style (and by "old" I don't mean "old lady" at all) and the newer, fresher style. It's a lovely fragrance, but is a little too heavy for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2005 7:56:00 PM More reviews by freegracer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For years Beautiful was my HG. I still keep a bottle of it on hand at all times. I started wearing this in the late '80s. My first HG, Houbigant's Essence Rare, had been d/c'ed. My second favorite fragrance, Frances Denney's Hope, had gone through a reformulation which disagreed with me completely, and I was at a loss as to what to wear. I didn't have time or $$ to do a lot of fragrance experimenting. I stumbled on EL's Estee; it wasn't horrible, wasn't great. So I settled for it for a little while. Then for Christmas '88 or '89, my DH bought me some more Estee, and with the purchase he had received a free gift which included a sample of Beautiful. Well. . . As soon as I tried the Beautiful, I knew it was something I would love to wear and immediately preferred it over the Estee. But, I dutifully finished my bottle of Estee first before purchasing the Beautiful. I was teaching at an all boys' high school at the time. My students noticed the fragrance change immediately after I began to wear Beautiful. "Oh, Mrs. E. You smell so nice. We like this perfume MUCH better than the OTHER stuff you wore." Ahem. But, you know how boys can be. Thing is, I agreed with them totally. I still use Beautiful to this day, and although I no longer consider it my HG, it is still one of my favorites. It smells nicest when layered with the perfumed body cream which is exquisite in its own right.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2005 3:11:00 PM More reviews by ValrieM

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been wearing this fragrance off & on for years and always get compliments when I wear it-from men & women!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2005 10:16:00 PM More reviews by esteelauderba

This is my favorite E.L. fragrance. It is as it's name says --- Beautiful. I generally get compliments when I wear Beautiful. I love to layer it with the body cream & powder.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2005 8:36:00 PM More reviews by RobsGirl4ever

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a very nice, elegant, ultra femme fragrance. My sister and I were walking through Herbegers (just like a Macys or Dillards) and on our way out, I was very intrigued by a selection of sample bottles on their best selling scent at the fragrance counter. Knowing that we should keep on walking and continue toward the exit, we stopped and admired all the pretty bottles. And there was Beautiful and I thought hmmmm...I've always wanted to try that, so I spritzed some on, and then on my sister too, and wow, I've never smelled anything like it. It kind of reminds me of Miracle by Lancome, which I LOVE! Very pretty and ultra femme and girly, yet very classy and elegant. I am a sucker for the super sexy, sensual and clean fragrances like Victoria's Secret Heavenly, Very Sexy and RL Romance, but I think I may just have to buy this for myself one of these days. Very, very pretty, sweet and kind of a floral scent, I really like it. The more it warmed, the better it smelled.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2005 12:57:00 AM More reviews by lovermac

Didn't like this one. It smells like something my grandmother wore.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2005 9:31:00 PM More reviews by Mistyr989

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This has a nice scent, a little bit floral, but not too much. I think it smells kind of pretty and clean. It doesn't really smell sexy, just pretty. Beautiful, like its name. It doesn't last that long on me though. If it did, I'd buy it all the time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2005 7:46:00 PM More reviews by cjenn

Just like its name suggests, this elegant classic is just that, beautiful. I love the floral smell of this, kind of like fresh lillies and lilacs in spring in a basket of flowers. I haven't tried its newer offspring, Sheer Beautiful, but this classic is always a winner!