July 29, 2014 | 1779 users online

Lip Treatments - Burt's Bees - Beeswax Lip Balm

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2013 1:59:00 AM More reviews by blondebum

Love the smell and how moist it feels on my lips! A staple beauty product that i always carry on me. I can't go a day without out it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by rebonjour

Me: Medium-to-full lips. Prone to dryness. Tendency to develop blackheads around my mouth with use of oily/waxy lip products. Frequently wear lipstick.

This is one of the most classic lip balms in town - for both men and women. Much to my surprise, I've noticed this product on the nightstands and desks of many male friends typically dead-set against using any sort of beauty product. It's a very neutral lip balm, and I find that's from where it draws most of its appeal.

The product has a pleasant scent (like beeswax candles) and a faint sweet flavour. I enjoy both the scent and the flavour. However, some people remain impartial to it, as it's fairly distinct. If you haven't smelled beeswax before, take a trip to your local bulk foods store or craft market and have a whiff before you purchase this lip balm. I find that, as a result of the flavour, it is occasionally tempting to lick this lip balm off your lips. While a pleasant flavour is ideal for some, I find that it leads my lips into further lip-licking demise.

I find that, no matter how many coats of Burt's I apply, there's no real feeling of coverage or moisture. This balm would be suitable for people wanting to maintain well-moisturized lips. However, it offers very little in the way of moisturization aside from the beeswax sealing in pre-existing lip moisture. I've also noticed that, when used frequently, this product tends to cause blackheads near the lipline (due to blocked pores from the beeswax ingredients).

Despite being marketed as an all-natural product, this lip balm contains limonene, which is "a known skin sensitizer" and is known to cause dermatitis. The inclusion of peppermint oil may cause irritation/dryness for some people. However, as an antiviral agent, this ingredient could be helpful to people with cold sores.

The balm comes in a goldenrod classic lip balm twist tube. It tends to melt at higher temperatures, so make sure it's not stored in your pockets or in other warm-hot locations. The product has a tendency to flake/break off in clumps due to its soft wax consistency. At a price point of about $5 (Canada), I find the product to be overpriced for what's being delivered. That being said, it lasts forever (probably half a year if used several times daily).

BOTTOM LINE: A holistic, natural lip balm that's effective for every day use. Doesn't offer much in the way of moisture, and carries a unique scent that some may love, while others will dislike. Unimpressive formulation for a 'natural' product. Not a worthwhile investment unless you're dead-set on owning this cult classic.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/5/2013 10:56:00 AM More reviews by masamim10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

It's one of the better lip creams out there, and only because it initially feels like it works upon application.

It is minty and thick, and I initially thought this was great. But then, I found that this lip cream was not very effective and caused my lips to flake in disgusting ways.

I know that I am not supposed to be constantly applying the lip cream because my lips could become dependent on the cream to provide moisture, but among the products I have used, this is really not worth the money or the rave.

Again, it feels like it works, but I cannot honestly say I have finished a single tube of this stuff. The pomegranite type smells better, but the effects were not much better for me.

I have moved on to DHC and shiseido lip creams. Perhaps I will try maybelline as a cheaper alternative, but I will not be using Burt's Bee's lip cream again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/4/2013 10:05:00 PM More reviews by reinabeina

It lasts for AGES. It's scarily never ending. The only positive thing I can say about it.

It's waxy, smells and tastes weird, doesn't moisturise, and makes my lips flaky and uneven.

Dislike, don't understand the hype, think its expensive, and will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/28/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by vespertilia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

In short: It's terrible. Some of my friends swear on this, so I tried it, although I would normally never pay 3.65 for a lip balm.
It goes on waxy, you almost have to scrape it against your lips. No moisturising effect at all, even after several applications. Lips dry out again quickly.
The peppermint oil component tingles uncomfortably much (I think even Carmex is fine) and stings my eyes so much they keep watering for several minutes afterwards.
I keep thinking about how I could have bought three tins of Vaseline instead. Thumbs down.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by lanid06

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a reaaaally really good lip balm!!!!!!!! Sometimes other lip balms just feel too waxy or glossy and gross but this balm never feels like it! Once i had a cold sore so a applied this and the next day, BAM it was gone!!! This lip balm is a miracle worker. I have tried over 10 different lip balms and this one was one of the best. I have tried the Pomegranate one and the only ting that I didn't like was that it was tinted. I'm pretty sure there are some that are not tinted so maybe next time, I will try them. It is a little bit pricey for lip balm but totally worth it! ( I got mine on sale for 3.99)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 11:58:00 PM More reviews by JaneWhit99

Bert's Bees is probably one of the most used and recognized lip balm's on the market! I used to be a huge fan of Blistex chapstick but I am now a loyal customer to Burt's Bees lip balm. I especially love the 'Mango Butter' flavor. It smells absolutely delicious and is so moisturizing on my lips. The only drawback of this product is that it does not provide long term moisture to chapped lips (Shortly after using I have to re-apply).

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2013 8:03:00 AM More reviews by JennyJia8734

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have the burts bees mango flavoured one and i think it works okay , i mean its mot amazing but it does the job. For around five dollars i think there are much better chapsticks out there but the main problem i have with it is the scent. It smells too waxy and i am definetley not fond of it

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2013 9:49:00 PM More reviews by jdmcgi2

Can't get past the honey/beeswax smell. I have a the regular ment lip balm from burt's bees I need to try maybe I will like that better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2013 11:11:00 PM More reviews by alina08

I like Burt's Bees lip balm because it smells delicious and fits in my pocket. It is a bit thicker than other balms, but goes on smoothly. I think for a lip balm, the price is a little hefty, but you can get a better deal when you buy in bulk (sets of four, etc.) with Burt's Bees. Although it is thicker than other balms, I do not find it to be super moisturizing. I think shea butter does a better job and goes on more smoothly. In terms of convenience, Burt's Bees lip balm is on par with other drugstore chapsticks, but smells a whole lot better and is more natural. Although I do not think this is a spectacular or life-changing product, I would repurchase.