August 22, 2014 | 1639 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2010 9:17:00 PM More reviews by Justicet2009

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hi gals, I'll keep this review short and sweet. I wanted to love this but it was way to thick and cakey. The high spf burned and irritated my sensitive skin. Not a good choice for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2010 10:18:00 AM More reviews by oooHUNTRESSooo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i have been using this foundation for a few weeks now. my shade is SP40, which is just perfect for me, it's a bit yellow, but not to much (my skintone is usually light-medium with a slightly yellow undertone). it doesn't oxidize on me, meaning that the color doesn't change at all. it is not very mattifying, but then again, my skin is too oily for any liquid foundation to have a lasting matte effect on me. the coverage is very nice, i would say medium, just a little bit more sheer than estee lauder double wear. also, it's not heavy at all, the texture is very liquid, not like double wear, which is a lot thicker than this. it doesn't dry too fast on the face so i can distribute it all over and blend it nicely.
    it did cause some breakouts on me after wearing it 3/4 days in a row. i didn't change anything else in my routine so those pimples must have been caused by this product. this is not really that strange because i do get breakouts from all foundations, my face is probably just too sensitive.
    however, when i wear it only one or twice a week, no breakouts appear and my skin looks just beautiful with this. the staying power is great as well, i wore it from 9 am to 10 pm and when i got home, it was still there, it didn't melt away. all in all, i think i will continue buying this product, it definitely is the best foundation i have tried so far

UPDATE: After more than 3 yeras, I have yet to find a better everyday foundation. It stopped breaking me out after a month or two (I suppose my skin just had to get used to it).
    The coverage is buildable and I can adjust it accoring to good or bad skin days.
    It still stays on my face without budging and is indispensable on sunny days when I need a higher SPF.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2010 1:28:00 AM More reviews by catchow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's so hard to pick the right color and this product clogs my pores. Wish I can use it because it has SPF 42. It'll perfect for a summer day in the city.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/24/2010 10:27:00 PM More reviews by joycechiang

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2010 5:43:00 AM More reviews by hetsy

OMG i have finally found my HG foundation. I have tried them all and seriously money was not the issue. I was prepared to spend bucks for the perfect foundation. I have tried most of the chanel foundations, Giogio Armani, Bobbi Brown and NARS, This beats them all and i know results vary from person to person however it certainly worked for my tried combination skin. Seems to give me this fresh flawless look which i have been on a mission to find. Note that i noticed that this product is sold in the UK with SF 30 rather than SF 42. I prefer the SF 30 version as seems lighter and easlier to blend. FYI I am NC40 and shade SF60 was great for me,

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2010 1:15:00 AM More reviews by lanvingal

I bought this foundation for summer, particularly for the beach because of the high SPF. The colour range is very limited. The foundation is quite runny, and if not shaken well seems to have separated. Easy to apply, but the coverage is quite sheer.

The SA told me it was water resistant, but to re-apply every 2-3 hours. It did not hold up at all in sea water, and my skin looked patchy within the first hour. It lasts all day if you keep your face away from water though, but you do need to blot occasionally.

I don't particularly like the packaging, and for the price and compared to other Shiseido products, the packaging is a little disappointing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2010 7:28:00 PM More reviews by abrad1967

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

To include a suncreen, espcially one with high SPF, in a foundation is an excellent idea. I wish all foundations would include a high SPF. This foundation provides light to medium coverage and can look a bit cakey depending on which powder I use to set it. On me, this foundation becomes oily in my t-zone and it looks a bit greyish - I have the darkest shade (70). It's too bad that the shade range is so limited -there are only 7 shades available. This is an ok foundation but I don't feel it's worth the price.

Update: I dislike editing my reviews after I've already posted my thoughts on a product but I will have to say that I would repurchase this again. This still does not match my skin color exactly and I much prefer Revlon Colorstay's texture over Shiseido's foundation but I love that it has a high SPF and I've been so, so lazy lately. By using this foundation, I'm able to skip a step and omit applying a suncreen because this foundation already contains suncreen. I wear suncreen pretty much every single day and wearing this foundation saves me time so I will repurchase this. I just wish Revlon Colorstay would formulate a foundation with high SPF!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2010 9:20:00 AM More reviews by MissJacqui85

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am not using liquid foundations anymore.I use mineral makeup and it works great with my oily skin and is healthier for it, I have definitely noticed the difference since using it.

But alas, mineral mu is not waterproof. So I bought this one after much research and reading of reviews on many different products- this is gold.

Thin but great coverage that doesn't feel suffocating for a mineral mu gal like me, and it didn't clog my pores or break me out- more importantly- it is superbly waterproof.

I did set it with a fixing powder to be sure, so can't vouch for it without it as don't know!:) I DID have to use concealer when I had spots, but that is fine with me as there were only few, and if it covered them all perfectly, it would have COVERED the rest of my face and looked like a mask, which I don't want.
    So a little effort goes into this one, but is worth it. Hey, if you're already doing makeup, another few minutes of primping and special touches is nothing.

Stays great, didn't go greasy and shiny on my face, which is why I turned off foundations, because I found this a problem with my oily skin. And I am not a lazy girl- if I shine, I blot, buff and/or correct. But foundations usually smeared and didn't buff back in well.
    This one does a dewy sheen, not bad if you don't get to check for a few hours, and blots beautifully, but needs a little extra added upon blotting.

Great packaging, but surprisingly small. Will see through use if it lasts longer than it looks like it will. Granted did not need a lot for a full face, but still it's SMALL and pricey in comparison to this size!:)lol

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2010 8:23:00 PM More reviews by eclatchu

Will be returning this. Once again, because of such high reviews and raves... I caved in and got this. If you are olive, yellow toned, and in the medium range (NC30-35), and think Shiseido will have shades that cater toward your skin color... think again. The shade I got SP60, which is an appropriate deepness for someone NC35, but it's a very neutral, almost beige pink undertone. So if you're someone who always finds most foundations to be too pink, you won't have much luck with this. For me, NC shades in MAC are near perfect in terms of yellow-ness, so the shades in this foundation are definitely more pink in comparison. It'd make a great match for those with neutral or pink undertones. Oh, and if you're wondering why a Japanese brand has such pink shades... well, I'm not even sure this line is sold in Japan. Japan has a completely different line not available in the US (which has even more limited shades that are very pale).

The coverage is medium, pretty nice matte look. But won't cover very dark marks. I have new pimple marks and it did not cover them. Probably because the shade is so pink anyway. Kind of disappointed.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2010 8:18:00 PM More reviews by k1zuna

Pros:
    1. Love the packaging. It works like a bottle of white-out: shake, then squeeze out the product
    2. Does not break out my combination/acne-prone skin
    3. Stay-put for the entire day
    4. SPF 42! I even use this product in the winter

Cons:
    1. Can accentuate dry patches (even after exfoliation)
    2. Can be a little oily for the t-zone

Overall, I love this product. I tried a variety of foundations ranging from MUFE HD to Chanel, and none of them worked better than this product.

Bottom line, if you want decent coverage and breathable skin, get this. If you want perfect coverage and un-breathable skin, get Revlon Colorstay.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No