October 31, 2014 | 845 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2008 10:28:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

I like this product, but I consider it to be a sort of optional "extra" - I don't use it every time I do my makeup, and I don't typically take it with me when I travel because I get along fine without it, and it takes up space in my makeup bag.

Personally, in terms of setting concealer, I don't notice a big difference between this and LM's translucent setting powder (which I consider a staple of my makeup collection). BUT I enjoy using it for setting my under-eye concealer because of the brightening factor.
I imagine that when I am older and fine lines are more of a factor, I won't be able to use the translucent powder under my eyes anymore, and this product will probably become more important to me (reputedly, it will not settle into fine lines, whereas the translucent powder can).

I appreciate this product most when my under-eye circles are worse than usual, so I imagine that people who really struggle to cover their dark circles might find this to be a really great product.

I have tried to use this for setting concealer on other parts of my face (covering redness or blemishes) and I don't like the effect - I can tell that I've added white powder. (Instead I use the translucent powder).
I've tried to use this like a highlighter with modest success, but the effect is very subtle. If I've got it out, I'll dust it on my cheekbones, but usually I don't bother.

In short, I don't use it that much, but I expect to use it more as I age. I imagine it would be good for those trying to cover darkness, or who have problems with powder settling into fine lines.

Oh! one last thing - if you apply concealer and it just looks a bit too dark (because you've lost your tan, or the color's not quite right for you), this can make up that little bit of difference to get it looking just right. That's the only time when I use it to set non-eye concealer.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2008 5:08:00 PM More reviews by MakeupAddictedArtist

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

HG for setting concealer! Love this product and can not be without!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2008 11:28:00 PM More reviews by bellefranjic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The comments I made about LM Secret Brightener (see my review) apply equally for Secret Brightening Powder. I really cannot see an appreciable difference in the brightness of my eye area when I apply this (NB I do not have a problem with dark circles, but am always looking for ways to brighten my eye area). Moreover, it annoys me that I have to treat this like high-grade cocaine and handle with extreme care when I apply it. It is a lot to pay for something that doesn't do a great deal. YSL Touche Eclat under powder does ten times more to brighten my eyes than this product ever will. Buy this and a good eye cream instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2008 11:14:00 PM More reviews by ynnej

Curious to see how it could better my undereye circle problem, I purchased it in #2 to top off my concealer. I found that it has done very little, if anything, to better the look of my concealer/under eye circles. If time is not taken to carefully apply it, the powder leaves my eye area looking flaky - leaving the skin around my eyes to look as though it is dry and crusty.
I was not a huge fan of this product at first, and was relieved that I'd only spent half the price by purchasing on ebay. After using this for a few days I decided to give it another lippie - the reason being that it does a fantastic job of keeping my concealer in place all day. The concealer I use looks great after I apply it, but has the tendency to melt and crease, becoming quite apparent on my skin after a few hours. But with a dab of LM powder in the morning, my concealer and eye area will look fresh all day. Very very little of this stuff is needed for a day of wear - and I am predicting that this tiny tub will last me upto a year! I probably would repurchase simply for its ability to keep my concealer in place; however, if you're looking for a product to brighten your eye area, this is not it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2008 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Christine2004

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Long time lurker, first time reviewer. This is awesome, and I have terrible dark circles. I used this on top of mineral makeup over the darkest, most shadowy part of my undereye circles, and it concealed them beautifully.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2008 3:30:00 PM More reviews by JLB2005

I had high hopes. Despite everyone's enthusiasm here, this powder did nothing dramatic for me at all. I have very dark circles and use concelers faithfully. Works nicely to set makeup, but so do many loose powders. I was very underwhelmed. I just use it now as a travel size loose powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2008 10:08:00 AM More reviews by shamlet16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am constantly on a search for any product that will improve my hideous dark circles, which seem to remain impervious to all my physical and cosmetic attempts to reduce them (i.e. more sleep, drinking more water, concealer). The reviews on this product led me to the LM section at Sephora, where i looked skeptically at the white powder, which, when brushed under my eyes with a qtip, seemed to do nothing at all. Nonetheless, I thought I'd give it a try, figuring I could return if necessary. I've been using it for two weeks now, and I am extremely impressed. It brightens and lightens the area without looking unnatural or ghostly at all on my med-dark skin (NC40, and I bought the LM SBP #2), and it also sets my concealer (right now I am using my sadly d/c'ed Shiseido optimal concealer, with BB corrector in light bisque underneath). I have noticed that it does take a little bit of work to remove at night, and if you're not careful, you'll wake up with a shimmery face, but that's a minor annoyance. I apply it with an angled crease brush that I got in an EoB set a few months ago - it's perfect for the undereye area/sides of nose, which is where I apply it. The sifter jar can also be a little annoying to work with, so i usually gently shake it upside down with the lid still on, and then work with the small amt of powder in the lid when I unscrew it. For anyone struggling w/dark circles, this is definitely worth a shot!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2008 5:55:00 PM More reviews by suey421

This product does what it claims to, it brightens your skin, but it does not live up to all the hype. Honestly, I found this product to be rather unnecessary. Like I said, it brightens your skin but the effects are so subtle that using it is not really worth it. After reading everyone rave about this powder I just had to try it. When I did, I could not believe this was the same product everyone was talking about. I like the texture of the powder and the slight shimmer is nice but, come on, its not all that great and everyone can definitely live without this in their make up bag. Maybe it was my skin tone that did not work well with this product but I see no reason to buy it again. It did not make the skin under my eyes look worse but the difference was so subtle I cant say it made them look any better either. I am going to keep trying and use the rest of this powder up by putting it on with every make up application but if I donít see the big deal about the powder when my supply is all used up I wont be repurchasing it. Also, I dont see any evidence that the powder doesnt settle into fine lines since it did on my face. Big disappointment.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2008 5:21:00 PM More reviews by skincarejunkee

I love the way it sets my concealer without leaving a heavy residue. And it lasts forever!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2008 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Nixxi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Where would i be without this powder? I bought this a year ago and I use it every day and there's still months of usage left. Not only does it set my concealer but its slight iridescence works with my concealer to lift and brighten my dark cirles. I will be re-purchasing this before my current jar runs out because I'd be lost without it.