Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

4.2

on 7/10/2008 5:08:00 PM

I am also in the minority, I didn't feel this product was great. It didn't really make much difference for me. I actually prefer the MAC brightening powder which is suprising b/c I almost always like LM better.

on 7/6/2008 3:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Not a HG but I like it. It has a very subtle sheen (I use #2, #1 would look chalky on my med tone skin), and it does look different/brighter than if I just used my LM translucent face powder. I was using my fingers or a small brush I already owned to apply it but I like it better now that Iím using the Camouflage Powder Brush that came in the Flawless Face Kit (nice long bristles). Iím on the fence about repurchasing though, not sure if itís worth the extra morning time and expense. The brush will probably push me over the edge.

on 5/20/2008 5:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Apparently I'm in the minority here but I'm not impressed with this product at all. Even though I hate hate hate to apply loose powder under my eyes (b/c 1.I have normal to dry skin, and 2.it gets into my eyes everytime I try) , I got this because I couldn't help myself but fell for the raves on the board and great reviews here. It doesn't seem like doing anything good for me though. It just makes the Secret Concealer look a bit more matte that's all. I was expecting more like an inside-out glow but it's your plain matte white translucent powder.It disappears within an hour and I have pretty decent skin and it's not even oily.Definitely not a miracle product.

on 5/6/2008 2:21:00 AM

I got this secret brightening powder immediately after reading the review here. In my experience, the air like powder would not thicken the concealer but the color tone is too light for me. I have bad purple brown dark circle that have to be concealed with peachy tone of concealer. Then, the dark circle turns to be more grey after setting the secret brightening powder. Except the color, it's a great powder for eye area.

on 4/23/2008 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I'm loving this product. I've only gotten into this brand very recently and this is one of hers that's supposed to be a stand out. I use this to set my cle de peau concealer. This is a HG combination. After I apply cdp I lightly dust this under my eyes to set the look. It gives a great lightening/brightening appearance that works with your concealer to camoflauge dark circles. The jar retails for $22.00 which isn't steep at all IMO since you only need to use a dusting for each application. I'm sure this jar will last me a good while.

They are supposed to be pretty versatile shade wise since they go on so lightly. After debating between #1 and #2 I ultimately chose #2. Summer is coming and my complexion will most likely get a bit darker. I'm confident it will work for my winter and summer complexion though. Right now I'm NC 25 in MAC and 30 (shell) in Chanel T.I.

on 4/11/2008 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I don't have much luck for Laura Mercier's products but this one is a keeper. The super fine milled powder sets undereye concealer nicely without looking heavy. It gives slight light to bright undereye areas. I tested this and my regular face powder on my undereye circles, this one is a winner.Try it. You will see the difference.

on 4/1/2008 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

After reading all the rave reviews here I started lemming this powder. I finally swapped for it and I am thrilled!! I inherited very dark undereye circles (thanks Mom). This has been my biggest facial beauty concern since I was in my teens. This powder is my new HG!! It sets concealer perfectly without settling into those pesky little lines while giving a little brightening effect, though don't try to use this alone, it does not provide that kind of coverage. I also use a swipe of this as a highlighter on the high points of my face. My BF said "you must have slept well last night, your skin looks so bright and fresh" FANTASTIC!! I will never be without this product continued >>

on 3/16/2008 10:04:00 PM

I can not use this alone on top of secret camouflage... it looks too white and sparkly, but I mix this using the secret camouflage powder brush with my regular powder and then dap it on the camouflaged area it looks flawless.... I was expecting a lot with this product since I bought it due to the 4.3 review it got here... but I guess since my skin is not the best there is it is difficult for this product to maximize it's benefits... I use this alone over secret camouflage on my friend who has perfect, flawless (ok, well one or 2 MINOR flaws) and it looks stunning on her.

FYI : I use SC4 in SC (but mostly using up the lighter part of it.. so I guess I am actually closer to SC3), and I was recommended by the SA to use SC-1 for this one... I guess maybe I will try SC-2 next time maybe that will illuminate the too white looking problem... I didn't try using it under my eyes yet... I will try next time and update on this review

Update: I tried this under my eyes with armani's liquid concealer and the results are great! :) I would use this more towards dull spots on my face... looks way more natural than those liquid highlighter pens out there

on 3/8/2008 12:34:00 PM

HG for me. I would never use anything else to set my under eye concealer. I would suggest using the Laura Mercier Camouflage brush with this. I wish they came up with a special edition with a travel sized version.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I like this product, but I consider it to be a sort of optional "extra" - I don't use it every time I do my makeup, and I don't typically take it with me when I travel because I get along fine without it, and it takes up space in my makeup bag.

Personally, in terms of setting concealer, I don't notice a big difference between this and LM's translucent setting powder (which I consider a staple of my makeup collection). BUT I enjoy using it for setting my under-eye concealer because of the brightening factor.
I imagine that when I am older and fine lines are more of a factor, I won't be able to use the translucent powder under my eyes anymore, and this product will probably become more important to me (reputedly, it will not settle into fine lines, whereas the translucent powder can).

I appreciate this product most when my under-eye circles are worse than usual, so I imagine that people who really struggle to cover their dark circles might find this to be a really great product.

I have tried to use this for setting concealer on other parts of my face (covering redness or blemishes) and I don't like the effect - I can tell that I've added white powder. (Instead I use the translucent powder).
I've tried to use this like a highlighter with modest success, but the effect is very subtle. If I've got it out, I'll dust it on my cheekbones, but usually I don't bother.

In short, I don't use it that much, but I expect to use it more as I age. I imagine it would be good for those trying to cover darkness, or who have problems with powder settling into fine lines.

Oh! one last thing - if you apply concealer and it just looks a bit too dark (because you've lost your tan, or the color's not quite right for you), this can make up that little bit of difference to get it looking just right. That's the only time when I use it to set non-eye concealer.

Recommended for Normal Skin