February 1, 2015 | 1680 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2008 5:28:00 PM More reviews by LaciP504

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm loving this product. I've only gotten into this brand very recently and this is one of hers that's supposed to be a stand out. I use this to set my cle de peau concealer. This is a HG combination. After I apply cdp I lightly dust this under my eyes to set the look. It gives a great lightening/brightening appearance that works with your concealer to camoflauge dark circles. The jar retails for $22.00 which isn't steep at all IMO since you only need to use a dusting for each application. I'm sure this jar will last me a good while.

They are supposed to be pretty versatile shade wise since they go on so lightly. After debating between #1 and #2 I ultimately chose #2. Summer is coming and my complexion will most likely get a bit darker. I'm confident it will work for my winter and summer complexion though. Right now I'm NC 25 in MAC and 30 (shell) in Chanel T.I.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2008 9:52:00 PM More reviews by floralipke

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't have much luck for Laura Mercier's products but this one is a keeper. The super fine milled powder sets undereye concealer nicely without looking heavy. It gives slight light to bright undereye areas. I tested this and my regular face powder on my undereye circles, this one is a winner.Try it. You will see the difference.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2008 2:52:00 PM More reviews by angelyshis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

After reading all the rave reviews here I started lemming this powder. I finally swapped for it and I am thrilled!! I inherited very dark undereye circles (thanks Mom). This has been my biggest facial beauty concern since I was in my teens. This powder is my new HG!! It sets concealer perfectly without settling into those pesky little lines while giving a little brightening effect, though don't try to use this alone, it does not provide that kind of coverage. I also use a swipe of this as a highlighter on the high points of my face. My BF said "you must have slept well last night, your skin looks so bright and fresh" FANTASTIC!! I will never be without this product continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2008 10:04:00 PM More reviews by wanyilee

I can not use this alone on top of secret camouflage... it looks too white and sparkly, but I mix this using the secret camouflage powder brush with my regular powder and then dap it on the camouflaged area it looks flawless.... I was expecting a lot with this product since I bought it due to the 4.3 review it got here... but I guess since my skin is not the best there is it is difficult for this product to maximize it's benefits... I use this alone over secret camouflage on my friend who has perfect, flawless (ok, well one or 2 MINOR flaws) and it looks stunning on her.

FYI : I use SC4 in SC (but mostly using up the lighter part of it.. so I guess I am actually closer to SC3), and I was recommended by the SA to use SC-1 for this one... I guess maybe I will try SC-2 next time maybe that will illuminate the too white looking problem... I didn't try using it under my eyes yet... I will try next time and update on this review

Update: I tried this under my eyes with armani's liquid concealer and the results are great! :) I would use this more towards dull spots on my face... looks way more natural than those liquid highlighter pens out there

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2008 12:34:00 PM More reviews by petit_ami

HG for me. I would never use anything else to set my under eye concealer. I would suggest using the Laura Mercier Camouflage brush with this. I wish they came up with a special edition with a travel sized version.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2008 10:28:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

I like this product, but I consider it to be a sort of optional "extra" - I don't use it every time I do my makeup, and I don't typically take it with me when I travel because I get along fine without it, and it takes up space in my makeup bag.

Personally, in terms of setting concealer, I don't notice a big difference between this and LM's translucent setting powder (which I consider a staple of my makeup collection). BUT I enjoy using it for setting my under-eye concealer because of the brightening factor.
I imagine that when I am older and fine lines are more of a factor, I won't be able to use the translucent powder under my eyes anymore, and this product will probably become more important to me (reputedly, it will not settle into fine lines, whereas the translucent powder can).

I appreciate this product most when my under-eye circles are worse than usual, so I imagine that people who really struggle to cover their dark circles might find this to be a really great product.

I have tried to use this for setting concealer on other parts of my face (covering redness or blemishes) and I don't like the effect - I can tell that I've added white powder. (Instead I use the translucent powder).
I've tried to use this like a highlighter with modest success, but the effect is very subtle. If I've got it out, I'll dust it on my cheekbones, but usually I don't bother.

In short, I don't use it that much, but I expect to use it more as I age. I imagine it would be good for those trying to cover darkness, or who have problems with powder settling into fine lines.

Oh! one last thing - if you apply concealer and it just looks a bit too dark (because you've lost your tan, or the color's not quite right for you), this can make up that little bit of difference to get it looking just right. That's the only time when I use it to set non-eye concealer.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2008 11:28:00 PM More reviews by bellefranjic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The comments I made about LM Secret Brightener (see my review) apply equally for Secret Brightening Powder. I really cannot see an appreciable difference in the brightness of my eye area when I apply this (NB I do not have a problem with dark circles, but am always looking for ways to brighten my eye area). Moreover, it annoys me that I have to treat this like high-grade cocaine and handle with extreme care when I apply it. It is a lot to pay for something that doesn't do a great deal. YSL Touche Eclat under powder does ten times more to brighten my eyes than this product ever will. Buy this and a good eye cream instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2008 11:14:00 PM More reviews by ynnej

Curious to see how it could better my undereye circle problem, I purchased it in #2 to top off my concealer. I found that it has done very little, if anything, to better the look of my concealer/under eye circles. If time is not taken to carefully apply it, the powder leaves my eye area looking flaky - leaving the skin around my eyes to look as though it is dry and crusty.
I was not a huge fan of this product at first, and was relieved that I'd only spent half the price by purchasing on ebay. After using this for a few days I decided to give it another lippie - the reason being that it does a fantastic job of keeping my concealer in place all day. The concealer I use looks great after I apply it, but has the tendency to melt and crease, becoming quite apparent on my skin after a few hours. But with a dab of LM powder in the morning, my concealer and eye area will look fresh all day. Very very little of this stuff is needed for a day of wear - and I am predicting that this tiny tub will last me upto a year! I probably would repurchase simply for its ability to keep my concealer in place; however, if you're looking for a product to brighten your eye area, this is not it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2008 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Christine2004

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Long time lurker, first time reviewer. This is awesome, and I have terrible dark circles. I used this on top of mineral makeup over the darkest, most shadowy part of my undereye circles, and it concealed them beautifully.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2008 3:30:00 PM More reviews by JLB2005

I had high hopes. Despite everyone's enthusiasm here, this powder did nothing dramatic for me at all. I have very dark circles and use concelers faithfully. Works nicely to set makeup, but so do many loose powders. I was very underwhelmed. I just use it now as a travel size loose powder.