August 23, 2014 | 1127 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2008 11:28:00 PM More reviews by bellefranjic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The comments I made about LM Secret Brightener (see my review) apply equally for Secret Brightening Powder. I really cannot see an appreciable difference in the brightness of my eye area when I apply this (NB I do not have a problem with dark circles, but am always looking for ways to brighten my eye area). Moreover, it annoys me that I have to treat this like high-grade cocaine and handle with extreme care when I apply it. It is a lot to pay for something that doesn't do a great deal. YSL Touche Eclat under powder does ten times more to brighten my eyes than this product ever will. Buy this and a good eye cream instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2008 11:14:00 PM More reviews by ynnej

Curious to see how it could better my undereye circle problem, I purchased it in #2 to top off my concealer. I found that it has done very little, if anything, to better the look of my concealer/under eye circles. If time is not taken to carefully apply it, the powder leaves my eye area looking flaky - leaving the skin around my eyes to look as though it is dry and crusty.
I was not a huge fan of this product at first, and was relieved that I'd only spent half the price by purchasing on ebay. After using this for a few days I decided to give it another lippie - the reason being that it does a fantastic job of keeping my concealer in place all day. The concealer I use looks great after I apply it, but has the tendency to melt and crease, becoming quite apparent on my skin after a few hours. But with a dab of LM powder in the morning, my concealer and eye area will look fresh all day. Very very little of this stuff is needed for a day of wear - and I am predicting that this tiny tub will last me upto a year! I probably would repurchase simply for its ability to keep my concealer in place; however, if you're looking for a product to brighten your eye area, this is not it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2008 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Christine2004

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Long time lurker, first time reviewer. This is awesome, and I have terrible dark circles. I used this on top of mineral makeup over the darkest, most shadowy part of my undereye circles, and it concealed them beautifully.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2008 3:30:00 PM More reviews by JLB2005

I had high hopes. Despite everyone's enthusiasm here, this powder did nothing dramatic for me at all. I have very dark circles and use concelers faithfully. Works nicely to set makeup, but so do many loose powders. I was very underwhelmed. I just use it now as a travel size loose powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2008 10:08:00 AM More reviews by shamlet16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am constantly on a search for any product that will improve my hideous dark circles, which seem to remain impervious to all my physical and cosmetic attempts to reduce them (i.e. more sleep, drinking more water, concealer). The reviews on this product led me to the LM section at Sephora, where i looked skeptically at the white powder, which, when brushed under my eyes with a qtip, seemed to do nothing at all. Nonetheless, I thought I'd give it a try, figuring I could return if necessary. I've been using it for two weeks now, and I am extremely impressed. It brightens and lightens the area without looking unnatural or ghostly at all on my med-dark skin (NC40, and I bought the LM SBP #2), and it also sets my concealer (right now I am using my sadly d/c'ed Shiseido optimal concealer, with BB corrector in light bisque underneath). I have noticed that it does take a little bit of work to remove at night, and if you're not careful, you'll wake up with a shimmery face, but that's a minor annoyance. I apply it with an angled crease brush that I got in an EoB set a few months ago - it's perfect for the undereye area/sides of nose, which is where I apply it. The sifter jar can also be a little annoying to work with, so i usually gently shake it upside down with the lid still on, and then work with the small amt of powder in the lid when I unscrew it. For anyone struggling w/dark circles, this is definitely worth a shot!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2008 5:55:00 PM More reviews by suey421

This product does what it claims to, it brightens your skin, but it does not live up to all the hype. Honestly, I found this product to be rather unnecessary. Like I said, it brightens your skin but the effects are so subtle that using it is not really worth it. After reading everyone rave about this powder I just had to try it. When I did, I could not believe this was the same product everyone was talking about. I like the texture of the powder and the slight shimmer is nice but, come on, its not all that great and everyone can definitely live without this in their make up bag. Maybe it was my skin tone that did not work well with this product but I see no reason to buy it again. It did not make the skin under my eyes look worse but the difference was so subtle I cant say it made them look any better either. I am going to keep trying and use the rest of this powder up by putting it on with every make up application but if I donít see the big deal about the powder when my supply is all used up I wont be repurchasing it. Also, I dont see any evidence that the powder doesnt settle into fine lines since it did on my face. Big disappointment.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2008 5:21:00 PM More reviews by skincarejunkee

I love the way it sets my concealer without leaving a heavy residue. And it lasts forever!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2008 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Nixxi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Where would i be without this powder? I bought this a year ago and I use it every day and there's still months of usage left. Not only does it set my concealer but its slight iridescence works with my concealer to lift and brighten my dark cirles. I will be re-purchasing this before my current jar runs out because I'd be lost without it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2007 12:18:00 AM More reviews by AimeeO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was really skeptical of this product. For one thing, it is bright white. For another, powder under eyes seems to equal dry looking skin.
SBP is truly a miracle product. I use it over my concealer. I use a very fluffy eyeshadow brush that is only for use w/ my SBP. You have to be careful and only use a light dusting of the powder under eyes, and blend it in. I just usually tap the brush against the excess powder that gets on the lid. This will optically diffuse the dark circles and make you look more awake. If you look at the powder in the jar, it doesn't look shimmery, but when the powder gets on the lid, you can tell it has a very fine shimmer and it looks like snow! The shimmer is undetectable on your skin, though.
You have to be careful and not overdo this. Too much will make your undereye skin look powdery and will emphasize wrinkles.
Seriously, this may be expensive, but it will last forever and if you have dark circles, it's indispensable. Long live SBP!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2007 1:06:00 AM More reviews by MeredithPB

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

LOVE! I could not imagine doing my makeup every morning without this. I use Bobbi Brown corrector and concealer, and I top it off with this. I have it in 02, and I am incredibly fair, but it looks very natural. I dust it on with the Bobbi Brown eye blender brush because I feel like the Laura brush that was designed for this product gives too matte of a finish. I like a natural finish, not matte. This product is amazing!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No