August 22, 2014 | 1973 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by gazelma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hmmm. I'm so mixed about this product. I think it's been doing well so far but I don't know if it is doing a fantastic job, or if it is worth the steep price tag. It's okay at best. What does put me off from this is the scent. It smells horrific! I have gotten used to it because I use it all the time but it's not a scent I am fond of, that is for sure. I would go back to this if I can't find anything else. Other cleansers have not been able to tame my oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by TurtleMoon

I've just finished using a trial size version of this (I think it was 30ml) which lasted me about two weeks when using it once a day in the evening. It forms part of Philosophy's skincare range which also includes the much-hyped (but in my opinion horrible) 'hope in a jar' moisturiser and 'the microdelivery' which is a daily exfoliating facial cleanser.

Purity comes in three versions - the original which is non-foaming, a mineral oil-free version and a foaming version. The version I've been using is the non-foaming one, which was slightly strange to use at first because I'm used to other liquid cleansers I've tried foaming up. However, I soon got used to it and actually found it quite nice the more I used it, even though the scent isn't great (very 'soapy' smelling - reminiscent of Imperial Leather).

To use Purity you start off by wetting your face, then using a dollop about the size of 20 pence piece you massage your entire face and neck with it. As I said before it doesn't foam up, but you can see where you've been with it as the more you massage the more white in colour it becomes on your face. Once you're happy you're covered all areas, you simply wash off with a wet face cloth and pat dry with a towel. You can repeart this process if you think it's necessary, but as I don't usually wear heaps of makeup I didn't really see the point.

After first use my face did feel nice and soft, but not tight feeling like it can with some other cleansers. The only thing I would say as a warning is this is definitely NOT suitable for taking off eye make-up (despite what the packaging and Philosophy website would have you believe). I tried it the first time I used it and ended up with red, streaming eyes! Also I'm not sure how good this would be at removing a full face of heavy make-up; it seems like quite a mild cleanser so I would question it's ability to remove every last scrap.

For the price this is more of a luxury item than a staple in my skincare routine, but I would use it again if I ever got the chance.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 10:23:00 AM More reviews by bbdream

I love this stuff. I have combination skin (more on the oily side) and I needed a SUPER gentle cleanser that cleaned my face well without stripping it. (I didn't want that squeaky clean feeling you get when you strip your face of all natural oils) and this is PERFECT for me! It cleans my face very well and it is extremely gentle and not at all messy. It comes in the standard, cute Philosophy packaging that is functional and clean looking. It is expensive- but I gave the 'price' a 4 instead of a 5 because one 8oz bottle lasts FOREVER. A little (dime-nickel size amount) is plenty for your face. After you calculate it out, it's actually a good deal. To put the concentration in perspective, the 16oz of the shampoo/shower gel/ bubble bath (which is similar in concentration-not consistency) has lasted me 5 months with daily use. I love Philosophy.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2013 12:53:00 PM More reviews by emmasun1989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is one of the best cleanser in the market. It can remove all your makeup without irritating the eye. My skin feels fresh, clean and hydrated after using this. However, I like the SUPER by Dr. Perricone sweet clean cleanser better since the SUPER one pretty much does the same thing with very delightful blueberry scent. So sad that the SUPER line is discontinued and I have to go back to purity.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 11:44:00 PM More reviews by prttybrwneyez13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love. This. Cleanser. I first purchased the travel size in Sephora last year to try out because I had heard good things about it. It's definitely my go-to nightly cleanser as it helps to remove traces of makeup, it's very gentle in the skin, and it always leaves my face feeling clean. Pair this with my cute little Leopard print Clarisonic mini and it's a win-win in my book. My only con about this product is that it's expensive, hence why I originally tried the sample size first, and that alone was $10 at Sephora, if I'm not mistaken. Each time I've bought fuller sizes it has been during some sale through Hautelook or after receiving a couple from Philosophy, where I happened to buy the 32 oz since and I've yet to even make a dent in that. This bottle should last me a looooooong time. If you're in the market for a cleanser that will live your skin feeling clean and smooth, check this product out. Definitely my holy grail cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/9/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by ASBLeen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had experienced problems with milia after some over-exfoliating and this face wash was recommended to me. I have sensitive skin that tends to get dry and congested in certain areas, but is overall pretty easy to please.

My initial reaction to this facewash was "Wow! My face has never felt so clean!" But after about three months, my skin's reaction switched to "Wow! My face has never felt so stripped of all its natural oils!"

I found this face wash to be very drying; I started to develop redness in my face after washing, and the time the redness stuck around after washing my face lengthened as I continued to use the product. I stuck with it for a long time (too long...), almost 6 months, before finally switching to Cerave hydrating face wash. My skin is SO much happier.

I think this blend of essential oils just didn't agree with my skin. The milia I developed after starting this face wash (I started out with two, kept getting them even after changing all my other products) have lessened after only three weeks.

Overall, I think this face wash is very drying and though it supposedly sensitve-skin friendly, my skin did not appreciate it at all. Do not recommend, go for Cerave or Cetaphil and save your money.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by lucyzta

I bought a HUGE bottle of this last year at the Nordstrom anniversary sale (I actually am still using that same bottle even though I use this almost daily). I really like this cleanser. It smells clean, feels smooth, and really makes my skin feel fresh. It does not break out my sensitive skin. The only downside to this product is that it is very expensive. I would only repurchase this if I got it on mega sale simply because I am on a budget. I hope it goes on sale during the nordstrom anniversary sale again.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2013 11:00:00 AM More reviews by duarteda1387

I bought this because the SA at sephora told me it was perfect for removing makeup (INCORRECT). While it removed my makeup after scrubbing my face it was not specifically for doing so which was more the SA's bad advice then it was the product. The smell is pleasant and it goes on smoothly. However I found that it dried out my skin and the packaging did not make it easy to get the product out. I have heard that they sell a dispenser for it but I will not purchase an extra item for a product to be more convenient to use that in my opinion is the manufacturer's job to have all the components to their product that makes it easy and convenient to use not charge me extra to make it convenient. For the price tag on this product which I returned I got myself 2 Cetaphil gentle cleansers which removes my makeup, does not leave my face feeling dry and has helped with my acne break outs after only 2 weeks of use.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by Mkl2008

I have combination skin that I refer to as "sensitive" meaning I will break out IF I use a cheap product with lots of strange ingredients. I tried all sorts of cleansers in my early twenties and nothing impressed me. A friend bought me this for my 24th birthday and I have used every day for the past 3 years. I also just recently bought a clarisonic and the two together are amazing. This is worth a try if you have been searching for the right cleanser!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2013 3:46:00 AM More reviews by sephirias

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i had high hopes for this as it's been raved by many users. however, this made my skin break out so it's now being used by DH. not a fan of the scent as well as the texture. back to mario badescu enzyme cleansing gel for me!