October 30, 2014 | 1451 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by CrashBangKelsey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have extremely sensitive combination skin so I'm always on the prowl for a cleanser that won't irritate my face and make me break out into acne / milia. I bought this after hearing a few good reviews, and I wasn't at all disappointed. I never once had a serious problem with unsightly bumps while using it. The smell is a little bit funky, but it removed my makeup and cleansed my skin exactly as advertised. When I ran out I didn't repurchase it because I wanted to find something a bit cheaper, but after trying several different drugstore brands, I haven't found anything that measures up to this cleanser (for me personally). On my lunch break I'm heading out and buying it again, even though it's not kind to my wallet.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by melanieRD

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Like many have said, I'm on the fence as well. I got the $10 trial at ulta. I loved the miracle in a jar cream sample, but skipped the large one when it ran out. I haven't even finished the trial size as I started using the purity made simple face wash and LOVE it. I also replaced the miracle in a jar with the take a deep breath. Another thing I loved and bought was the micro scrub. I thought this cleanser, the purity cream smelt terrible. It burnt my eyes, too. I would not purchase this, I don't think. I have absolutely awful skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2013 6:05:00 AM More reviews by Walko

This is deceiving.It feels nice and creamy and does the job as a cleanser.But it's the ingredients that worry me.Far too many fragrant oils which are volatile and cause irritation, especially if used around the eyes. Black pepper extract? Come on! I don't care how well any product performs,if it contains irritants(and you can't always see or feel the damage) I won't use it.This was my first philosophy purchase and I am not impressed.I will use this up as a body wash as I do not want these ingredients on my face.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2013 4:51:00 AM More reviews by koreanabahnana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product after watching Jaclyn Hill on Youtube. I have dry skin like her so I decided to give it a try. After trying out the samples I received from Sephora, I fell in love with this product that I went back and bought the 16 fl. oz bottle. I love this product because it feels gentle on my skin and I do feel my makeup dissolving when I use this product. A little goes a long way so one little drop on my hand is all I need to wash my entire face. It has a slight citrus scent but it does not bother me. The texture is very creamy and semi-thick and I take my time to rub the product onto my face and tend to leave it on for good three minutes before completely washing it off. My skin feels clean although it does not do much for moisturizing my skin afterwards. I use my toner and moisturizer almost right after I finish cleansing my face. The packaging can be a little bulky but Philosophy has a $10 travel-friendly sized ones. I bought my 16 fl. oz bottle on March 27, 2013, but I have not even used half of the product yet. I would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 5:57:00 PM More reviews by olia041983

This is my favorite cleanser ever! I heard about it from Jaclyn Hill on YouTube and after trying it I get what she was raving about. It's gentle enough to even remove eye makeup! My skin never feels dry after washing my face with it. It has different types of oil in it but the good kind NOT mineral oil that causes breakouts. I never ever broke out from this and I do have skin that's more on the oily side. Jaclyn Hill does recommend some really good products, not all but def this one is good.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2013 3:05:00 AM More reviews by peachez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this product because of all the rave reviews, and it definitely did not disappoint. I do not use this cleanser to remove my makeup; I remove my makeup using a makeup remover, then use this to clean my face and remove any traces of makeup that my makeup remover might have missed. This product smells great (a little like roses?) and my skin feels really smooth and clean after using it. The "clean" feeling is probably why some people say that it can be harsh, but it does not bother me in the least because there is none of that tightness associated with harsh products that strip the skin of its natural oils. I will probably repurchase- the only reason why I might not repurchase would be to try out other cleansers, but that is more to do with my fickleness as a consumer than this product's price point, packaging and performance.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/24/2013 12:53:00 AM More reviews by msfrost

Meh. It cleanses well (I do use makeup remover wipes before washing my face with this because it won't remove eye makeup 100%), doesn't foam, and has a nice, semi thick texture. The bottle is pretty and the mild yellow color looks so cute. My face doesn't feel dry or oily afterwards. And yet, this product doesn't impress me. I guess it's an alright cleanser, but for the price I was expecting more efficiency at removing makeup and a nicer smell. I won't repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by gazelma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hmmm. I'm so mixed about this product. I think it's been doing well so far but I don't know if it is doing a fantastic job, or if it is worth the steep price tag. It's okay at best. What does put me off from this is the scent. It smells horrific! I have gotten used to it because I use it all the time but it's not a scent I am fond of, that is for sure. I would go back to this if I can't find anything else. Other cleansers have not been able to tame my oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by TurtleMoon

I've just finished using a trial size version of this (I think it was 30ml) which lasted me about two weeks when using it once a day in the evening. It forms part of Philosophy's skincare range which also includes the much-hyped (but in my opinion horrible) 'hope in a jar' moisturiser and 'the microdelivery' which is a daily exfoliating facial cleanser.

Purity comes in three versions - the original which is non-foaming, a mineral oil-free version and a foaming version. The version I've been using is the non-foaming one, which was slightly strange to use at first because I'm used to other liquid cleansers I've tried foaming up. However, I soon got used to it and actually found it quite nice the more I used it, even though the scent isn't great (very 'soapy' smelling - reminiscent of Imperial Leather).

To use Purity you start off by wetting your face, then using a dollop about the size of 20 pence piece you massage your entire face and neck with it. As I said before it doesn't foam up, but you can see where you've been with it as the more you massage the more white in colour it becomes on your face. Once you're happy you're covered all areas, you simply wash off with a wet face cloth and pat dry with a towel. You can repeart this process if you think it's necessary, but as I don't usually wear heaps of makeup I didn't really see the point.

After first use my face did feel nice and soft, but not tight feeling like it can with some other cleansers. The only thing I would say as a warning is this is definitely NOT suitable for taking off eye make-up (despite what the packaging and Philosophy website would have you believe). I tried it the first time I used it and ended up with red, streaming eyes! Also I'm not sure how good this would be at removing a full face of heavy make-up; it seems like quite a mild cleanser so I would question it's ability to remove every last scrap.

For the price this is more of a luxury item than a staple in my skincare routine, but I would use it again if I ever got the chance.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 10:23:00 AM More reviews by bbdream

I love this stuff. I have combination skin (more on the oily side) and I needed a SUPER gentle cleanser that cleaned my face well without stripping it. (I didn't want that squeaky clean feeling you get when you strip your face of all natural oils) and this is PERFECT for me! It cleans my face very well and it is extremely gentle and not at all messy. It comes in the standard, cute Philosophy packaging that is functional and clean looking. It is expensive- but I gave the 'price' a 4 instead of a 5 because one 8oz bottle lasts FOREVER. A little (dime-nickel size amount) is plenty for your face. After you calculate it out, it's actually a good deal. To put the concentration in perspective, the 16oz of the shampoo/shower gel/ bubble bath (which is similar in concentration-not consistency) has lasted me 5 months with daily use. I love Philosophy.