October 25, 2014 | 1112 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2013 2:42:00 AM More reviews by Odieodie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

I loved a lot of things about Ruby Woo, but I probably won't end up getting it again.

The pros, first! After you apply Ruby Woo, it is going to last all day. There's very little transfer while eating or drinking, which is pretty rad. It's a fabulous matte, and dishes up a very classic look that I loved. The colour is very noticeable, and you'll be sure to get many compliments! Overall, very good quality product!

As for cons, as you may have read before, this lip stick is suuuuuuuper dry. Even when I prepped my lips super well and put a little chapstick on after the fact, my lips sometimes still felt like two prominent deserts colliding at my mouth. It was something I got used to after a while, but it was a definite set back.

Another con was more personal for me, as I have a lot of pinkish and purplish hues in my skin (I've the delightful skin tone of a pale Irish potato, sadly), and lipsticks that have blue and purpley undertones sometimes are less than flattering on me. Now, Ruby Woo is fairly close to a true red, so it wasn't too bad, but some days (bad skin days, weird weather days, who knows) it would just look meh with my skin tone.

Overall, Ruby Woo is a fine enough lipstick! It just wasn't for me.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by RoseeO

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

absolutely love this color! I was scared to wear red lipstick but this color looks great on me (nw47). It really does work for every skin tone. Its a matte lipstick so dont apply on dry lips. I apply a bit of chapstick before I wear it. I get lots of compliments. Sometimes I line with my chestnut lip liner. The perfect red lip.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 6:35:00 PM More reviews by akneil

Love love love this lipstick. It is a great vibrant red with blue/cool undertones. I use a lipgloss on top and it looks fantastic. Sometimes when i need a bit of colour, i just dab it on my lips lightly to give them a little tint. it's perfect.
And not to mention it smells amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by samrnemtp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

The perfect red for fair skin with cool undertones. LOVE IT

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Klonophunk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ruby Woo, a special red.
This red will look more blue based on cool toned ladies and more brown based on warm toned ladies, but if completely opaque, it is a pure red with a magenta (a cool, true magenta) undertone. I am wearing it completely opaque, over Nivea Kiss of Milk& Honey lip balm. My lips are shaped such that lip color always ends up migrating outside the boundary of my lip. Therefore, I invested in some MAC prep and prime for lips to use specifically with Ruby Woo. This color, while high maintenance and very dry, is worth the extra care, in my opinion! I'll follow up on how it looks with the primer under it.

Well, the Prep & Prime for lips is really great: it truly does hold lipstick! One caveat is that the Prep & Prime dilutes the intensity of Ruby Woo. However, this is not really a deal breaking thing in terms of being able to wear this color with less boldness, it just takes more coats to get to opaque. And I'm seriously impressed by the way the primer keeps the lipstick hugging my lip contours evenly. I've written a separate review for the primer.

Wow, am I lucky that this was my first MAC lipstick experience! MAC lipstick is fabulous!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Ohviolet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

On my porcelain skin, this color is vivid and eye-catching in the best way. Instant glamour. And not as expensive as I would have though, about $14-15 dollars at the Mac store in NYC. It does last a long time but after awhile it dries my lips out and starts to flake off. Not so glam. I definitely recommend exfoliating and hydrating your lips before application. If you are the type who needs lip balm throughout the day, I'd go for a glossier color instead of Ruby Woo, which is super matte and drying.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Jstar668

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This color is an essential red shade...and necessary in every girl's make up kit! This blue based red is flattering on an array of skin tones and looks glam and amazing no matter what the occasion. I buckled and bought this shade after many months of contemplation and it did not disappoint. It is universally flattering and perfect for anyone ready to take on bold red lips! You'll be glad you did!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by NYMakeupJunkie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I fell out of love with MAC products 15 years ago and banished everything MAC from my collection, until I read on-line that Gwen Stefani wore Ruby Woo as her staple color. A Nars artist once told me she wore Red Lizard, which is my staple when I need to go all out glam for a formal affair. I knew there was a lot of hype over this shade, so I decided to try it with MAC Cherry lip liner. It did not disappoint!! Ruby Woo is classified as a cool red, but on my cool, fair skin I felt it was a little closer to a true red with subtle cool undertones. This shade has a lot less blue than Nars Red Lizard, and while it's bold and matte, it doesn't have the same punch as RL. The formula is a true matte, which is drying but looks chic. I used some lip balm over it as the day wore on, and the color lasted through two cups of coffee and was still noticeable after lunch. At half the price of Nars, I'll use this one for an every day red.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 12:50:00 PM More reviews by 1happytrader10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Woah Mama! This takes some getting used to or a brave sole, but the color payoff is outstanding. Makes my NW20 skin look porcelain next to it and my hazel eyes look very green. It's beautiful, but I can feel everyone looking at my lips with it on! Not that that's a bad thing!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 11:53:00 PM More reviews by Makeupobssesed

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

Im going to keep this short simple and sweet... Ruby sooo is one of macs classics and best sellers this color is sooooo pretty and literally looks good on every skin color!! It's is really bold and stains your lips! The smell is lovely and this is def a staple product for an essential red lip!! It also makes my teeth look super white! BEWARE its a matte moisturizer before it is def one of the most matte lipsticks ive tried If you don't have it your sleeping on it!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No