April 19, 2014 | 1945 users online

Self Tanners - Bare Escentuals - Faux Tan

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2008 1:37:00 PM More reviews by jahylo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great product. Gave me a very natural color. I use plastic gloves when applying and layer my body lotion on top to help even out the application. Comes out streak free and natural every time.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2007 11:31:00 PM More reviews by hofm9353

My favorite sunless tanner! I was first inspired to try this after learning that it was a gel and not a lotion. (I realize some may like the 2-in-1 benefits of the sunless tanners with a lotion base, but for those of us with normal to oily skin, this is a God send!) It absorbs quickly and I love the color, not only to use as a guide to see where it's been applied, but because it's actually brown with cool undertones. Most importantly, after a few hours I develop a beautiful tan. Of course exfoliation is important, as it is with any tanner.

The first application is great... not too tan, even for the winter months and gives me a natural tan coloring. The second application gives me a richer tan which appears more like I did when I used to -dare I say it, sunbathe! :-)

I usually apply twice a week and have the "big daddy" pump which has lasted me about a year. I've tried gloves a couple times, but find it's a smoother and easier application if I just use my bare hands.

GREAT TIP: use baking powder to remove the stain from your palms. Shake out a tablespoon or two into your hand and scrub. Repeat once and all the color is GONE!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2007 9:22:00 PM More reviews by brandflake86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I agree with all the positive reviews about this product. AMAZING!

-Doesn't have that icky 'self-tanner smell'
-Goes on so smoothly
-You can see where it goes so you have an even application
-Beautiful color (I'm fairly tan myself, but I used it on my best friend who has really fair skin w/tons of freckles and it was beautiful) No oompa-loompa impersonaters here!
-Definitely worth the money

One con: definitely need to wear gloves when applying. But that isn't too big of a deal. If you fold the gloves down a bit and rub a little on your hand, you're set.

Mine usually lasts me about 6 months; using it about 1-2 times a week.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2007 6:09:00 PM More reviews by Jovoices

I love Bare Essentials products but this has to be one of my favorites! I tried a sample from sephora just before Christmas Eve. I didn't exfoliate or moisterize and I still had a beautiful natural brown tan after one application. This is not a high maintainece product and still delivers awsome results. Everyone at the party commented on how nice and glowing we looked. It's not an overly obvious brown look, but more of a actual tanned glow. Natural and so worth the 22 bucks.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/9/2007 2:46:00 PM More reviews by ghettogherti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Girls!!!! Listen up, this product is awful. I am medium to tan anyway, but i really don't lay out in the sun much but i wanted a little more color. I decided to order Faux Tan and when i got it, i left it on for 1 hour, and i bathed and IT ALL CAME OFF, right in the shower, talk about being disappointed! So, i tried the next day, i had to leave it on for over THREE HOURS to get an effect and oh boy!!! I was so orange it didn't look natural, to top it off it stained my clothes and it made me stink to high heaven, so bad i couldn't stand myself. But, i have to say that the faux tan powder for your face blends in and i love the blush that comes with it, and the brush is so nice, but honestly i would not waste my money on this again, it isn't even worth what i paid for it which was $60. Really, it all went down the drain....LITERALLY!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2007 10:34:00 AM More reviews by Jillian8981

I mix this stuff with my moisterizer at night and it just takes the edge off of my super pale, sallow skin. It really provides warmth. I would not use this if I were looking for a dark tan, though. Or perhaps use this in combo with a powder bronzer from BE. Anyway, this product has really changed my life. It helped me wean myself off of the tanning salon.

Oh, and I have acne-prone skin and this does not make me break out and helps me cover some scars. It also has NO smell or gross chemical-y feeling to it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2007 10:52:00 AM More reviews by tgctgarrett

OMG this is HG material here! Being a natural redhead with a complexion somewhere between milk and Casper the Ghost, self-tanning is a necessity. being that pale though presents serious selftan challenges. many STs turn orange on me or are just too too dark. or the smell chases me right out of the bathroom. not BE's! this actually shows up on me as a tan, not a coating of rust. it doesn't smell like chemicals either, just a nice coconutty-like scent (kinda like the tanning oils of yore). i apply it with latex gloves (i discovered the hard way it really does stain your palms if you don't) and the lotion just glides all over your body. and here's the real bonus--i apply it on my face too and don't break out!! i have a tempermental t-zone that breaks out from lots of self-tanners but not this one.
i've tried lots of BE products. not in love with their foundation as it makes my pores look garage-door sized, don't have the patience for their loose eyeshadows, but loooove mineral veil and this product.
my only complaints with this prod are (and they're small ones):
it's kinda pricey (but hey it works wonders for me!)
a little always drips out the top of the bottle and turns a weird green-blue color (what's that about--oxidation maybe?)
will definitely repurchase & already have several times!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2007 1:58:00 PM More reviews by babii12987

alrighty.

This is hands down the best self tanner you can buy on the market right now. It turns you a nice brown color, but you must put it on correctly. I am very naturally pale. Everyday, at least 3 people come up to me and tell me how nice and tan I look. In the middle of the winter! && all my friends know I'm naturally pale, and know I would never go tanning, so they ask me what I use because they think it looks "amazing" and they want to buy a bottle for themselves.

HOW TO::
In the shower I use an exfoliator , and pretty much scrub off all of the self tanner, then reapply it, every 2 or 3 days I do this. I feel orange if i keep adding more, and if you put on just one thick layer it will look really good. && sometimes it rubs off in certain places, so the more you exfoilate the less areas of random white spot there will be. I have 0. (:

also, do not put a thick coat of this on the back of your hands. It will look orange, and you may not get in between your fingers and it will look dumb. Instead mix a little bit of self tanner with some lotion and rub the back of your hands together, getting in every crack and space, && your hands won't look dirty or wierd.

The only con i find in this product, is the fact that you have to learn how to be good @ putting it on. Also, how you have to scrub your hands for 5 minutes getting the black off. But it does come off, and I have learned how to put it on perfectly, so if you practice @ it, it will work for you 2 (:

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2007 1:59:00 AM More reviews by cblack

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

OK-I have never submitted a product review before, but I just used Faux for the first time and I am so impressed that I wanted to let anyone who is considering getting a self tanner to know they can't go wrong with this one. I have tried every self tanner on the market, from the drug store variety to the high end ones. I have NEVER found one that did not have that overpowering smell. Honestly, this one smells like cherry almond. I kept waiting for "that smell" to develop as it processed, but I never could smell it (neither could any of the 6 other people I asked to "sniff test" me! :). I don't know if I have an overly sensitive sense of smell or if there is something about my body chemistry that really brings out the chemical smell of self tanners, but the smell is the reason I have about 14 bottles of once-used tanners on my shelf.
The Faux goes on easily; the bronzer serves as a great guide to be able to see the coverage. WARNING: It does cause your hands to turn almost black as you are applying it, but I took another reviewer's advice and had baking soda nearby. I put lotion on my hands before I began and then did my whole body. My hands were quite literally black when I was done. I moistened my hands, sprinkled them with baking soda and scrubbed, rinsed, and repeated. Then I took a fairly coarse terry cloth towel and vigorously rubbed them dry. Every last bit of the Faux stain was removed (thank heavens! It would have been incredibly embrassing if it hadn't--it looked as if I had put my hands in wood stain).

The color is natural, it has a healthy bronzed-tan color to it. Many brands I've tried (including Clarins, which everyone thinks is so great) have almost a yellowy cast to them. I have a fairly light complexion, so I'm sure that's why the yellow is more obvious. The Faux really makes me look like I have a healthy tan. In one application, I have achieved the same result I got last year when I made the stupid mistake of using a tanning bed for 20 minutes a day, every day, for 6 weeks. I looked great, but I have nightmares thinking about what I did to my skin. With Faux, I never have to do that again!!

I got my Faux as part of the "Bronzed Babe" collection from BE, so I also got some mineral make up with it. I bought it on Ebay for about $20 less than retail. Boy, I wish I had discovered Faux earlier!! Give it a try--I think you'll like it!!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2007 1:23:00 PM More reviews by Amy0207

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another great product from BE. Not only it doesn't smell like the strong regular sunless tanning products, the color is a natural brown (not too dark and not too light). I've tried many brands like Loreal, banana boat, neutrogena etc... none of them can give me the result of Faux. The price is a little bit high, but it's so worth it! Even my bf tho I had a real tan and he knows that I'm a self tanner person. I suggest you to get a sample from sephora or nordstrom before buying.