July 28, 2014 | 1984 users online

Self Tanners - Bare Escentuals - Faux Tan

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2008 3:29:00 PM More reviews by lcg6824

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm reviewing the BE Faux Tan Sunless Tanner, not the daily moisturizer. This is my all time favorite sunless tanner & the best part is I can quickly apply with no fear of streaking and immediately go out in public after allowing the tanner complete dry down (20-30 minutes). I buy the big white bottle with a pump and it lasts for months using it weekly on my face & body. I can use this on my sensitive face with no fear or break-out and that helps it be more cost effective as I no longer have to purchase exclusive tanner for my face.

I use gloves to apply the tanner lotion after exfoliation (exfoliation is a must if you want this to last more than a day or two!) I generally apply two days in a row to attain the color I want in spring & summer. I try to do this weekly to maintain beautiful color. One application gives me a very pretty light glow that adds warmth to my fair complexion. PERFECT for winter. With a second application I look like I've been laying out all week. The color develops into a beautiful cool toned brown with no orange-ness. YAY!!

I've never used a self tanner that didn't have some offensive odor to it, and I've tried everything from Victoria Secret tanning moisturizer to Fake Bake to Glow Fusion Protein Mist that claims to have no odor whatsoever (WRONG!). This tanner is the least offensive to my nose. Upon application it has a faint suntan lotion (coconut) scent. During dry-down I do detect a slight sunless tanner odor- however I have a very sensitive nose! My husband will not come near me when I have tanner on usually, but with BE Faux tan he never complains. I can wear this out in public without fear of the offensive odor. I think Faux Tan is awesome and I will continue to repurchase.

In case you can't get your hands on BE Faux Tanner Lotion....my second recommendation is NeoStrata Insta-tan 2 in 1 Sunless tanner & bronzer in Deep Dark and Insta-tan for face with exfoliating fruit acids in Deep Dark also. This is available in Canada & you can purchase this online. (See the NeoStrata review for hints on where to purchase!) The Insta-Tan for the face is a foam whereas the Insta-tan for the Body is a lotion. They both have immediate bronzing which acts as a color guide to avoid any streaking and the color is instant FAB! The label Deep Dark is deceiving. You CAN get a super deep dark color after several applications, however with one or two applications in a row it is a beautiful bronze brown with a hint of red & no fear of orange ever. This is dermatologist recommended and I have found the face tanner does not cause breakouts on me. This does have a medium- strength tanner odor so I generally only use this overnight and shower the following morning before going out. (The bronzer will rub off on light colored fabrics also, so be sure to rinse this off before going out!)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2008 1:45:00 PM More reviews by blairashley

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This product is beyond... It is easy to use and very forgiving unlike most sunless tanners (accidental streaks are easy to blend). The color is natural and deep. I trusted it for my wedding! After one use, you'll notice a glow. It's a fantastic product and much safer than the sun.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2008 9:06:00 AM More reviews by brittwoh

i LOVE this product. I had been using Fake Bake for years, and im not saying i wouldnt again, but this is a great change up. I love the fact that i can put it on (there is no self tanning odor- it actually smells like tanning oil..until it starts to develop then there is the slightest little odor of self tanner) but i like that i can apply it and actually go out into public. Fake bakes bronzer is sooo dark that it looks ridiculous. My first application was a nice light tan (but not too light). I put it on the next day and it has developed into a very nice, natural looking tan. I just applied it again (3rd day in a row) and i think this will be my desired color.
The only downside is it was 22 bucks and the bottle reallly isnt that big. A little does go a long way though, although you do have to work fast because it does dry rather fast (pro and con).

Hope this helps!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2008 1:37:00 PM More reviews by jahylo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great product. Gave me a very natural color. I use plastic gloves when applying and layer my body lotion on top to help even out the application. Comes out streak free and natural every time.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2007 11:31:00 PM More reviews by hofm9353

My favorite sunless tanner! I was first inspired to try this after learning that it was a gel and not a lotion. (I realize some may like the 2-in-1 benefits of the sunless tanners with a lotion base, but for those of us with normal to oily skin, this is a God send!) It absorbs quickly and I love the color, not only to use as a guide to see where it's been applied, but because it's actually brown with cool undertones. Most importantly, after a few hours I develop a beautiful tan. Of course exfoliation is important, as it is with any tanner.

The first application is great... not too tan, even for the winter months and gives me a natural tan coloring. The second application gives me a richer tan which appears more like I did when I used to -dare I say it, sunbathe! :-)

I usually apply twice a week and have the "big daddy" pump which has lasted me about a year. I've tried gloves a couple times, but find it's a smoother and easier application if I just use my bare hands.

GREAT TIP: use baking powder to remove the stain from your palms. Shake out a tablespoon or two into your hand and scrub. Repeat once and all the color is GONE!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2007 9:22:00 PM More reviews by brandflake86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I agree with all the positive reviews about this product. AMAZING!

-Doesn't have that icky 'self-tanner smell'
-Goes on so smoothly
-You can see where it goes so you have an even application
-Beautiful color (I'm fairly tan myself, but I used it on my best friend who has really fair skin w/tons of freckles and it was beautiful) No oompa-loompa impersonaters here!
-Definitely worth the money

One con: definitely need to wear gloves when applying. But that isn't too big of a deal. If you fold the gloves down a bit and rub a little on your hand, you're set.

Mine usually lasts me about 6 months; using it about 1-2 times a week.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2007 6:09:00 PM More reviews by Jovoices

I love Bare Essentials products but this has to be one of my favorites! I tried a sample from sephora just before Christmas Eve. I didn't exfoliate or moisterize and I still had a beautiful natural brown tan after one application. This is not a high maintainece product and still delivers awsome results. Everyone at the party commented on how nice and glowing we looked. It's not an overly obvious brown look, but more of a actual tanned glow. Natural and so worth the 22 bucks.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/9/2007 2:46:00 PM More reviews by ghettogherti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Girls!!!! Listen up, this product is awful. I am medium to tan anyway, but i really don't lay out in the sun much but i wanted a little more color. I decided to order Faux Tan and when i got it, i left it on for 1 hour, and i bathed and IT ALL CAME OFF, right in the shower, talk about being disappointed! So, i tried the next day, i had to leave it on for over THREE HOURS to get an effect and oh boy!!! I was so orange it didn't look natural, to top it off it stained my clothes and it made me stink to high heaven, so bad i couldn't stand myself. But, i have to say that the faux tan powder for your face blends in and i love the blush that comes with it, and the brush is so nice, but honestly i would not waste my money on this again, it isn't even worth what i paid for it which was $60. Really, it all went down the drain....LITERALLY!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2007 10:34:00 AM More reviews by Jillian8981

I mix this stuff with my moisterizer at night and it just takes the edge off of my super pale, sallow skin. It really provides warmth. I would not use this if I were looking for a dark tan, though. Or perhaps use this in combo with a powder bronzer from BE. Anyway, this product has really changed my life. It helped me wean myself off of the tanning salon.

Oh, and I have acne-prone skin and this does not make me break out and helps me cover some scars. It also has NO smell or gross chemical-y feeling to it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2007 10:52:00 AM More reviews by tgctgarrett

OMG this is HG material here! Being a natural redhead with a complexion somewhere between milk and Casper the Ghost, self-tanning is a necessity. being that pale though presents serious selftan challenges. many STs turn orange on me or are just too too dark. or the smell chases me right out of the bathroom. not BE's! this actually shows up on me as a tan, not a coating of rust. it doesn't smell like chemicals either, just a nice coconutty-like scent (kinda like the tanning oils of yore). i apply it with latex gloves (i discovered the hard way it really does stain your palms if you don't) and the lotion just glides all over your body. and here's the real bonus--i apply it on my face too and don't break out!! i have a tempermental t-zone that breaks out from lots of self-tanners but not this one.
i've tried lots of BE products. not in love with their foundation as it makes my pores look garage-door sized, don't have the patience for their loose eyeshadows, but loooove mineral veil and this product.
my only complaints with this prod are (and they're small ones):
it's kinda pricey (but hey it works wonders for me!)
a little always drips out the top of the bottle and turns a weird green-blue color (what's that about--oxidation maybe?)
will definitely repurchase & already have several times!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No