Chanel Vitalumiere

3.9

water, ethylhexyl palmitate, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, cyclomethicone, talc, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, propylene glycol, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, glycerin, butylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, fragrance, methylparaben, disteardimmonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, polyglyceryl-3 beeswax, propylparaben, tocopherol, lecithin, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, alcohol denat., walnut seed, silica, laminaria digitata extract, glyceryl oleate, sodium hyaluronate, aluminum hydroxide, citric acid, sodium metabisulfate, BHT, licorice extract, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben.

on 3/18/2011 11:16:00 AM

I was shopping for a light - meduim cover foundation, and was interested in Chanel's products. I did not buy this and don't own it, so this review is based on me wearing it for a full day on half my face, with Vitalumiere Aqua on the other half. This foundation is beautiful and covers nicely without being cakey, but as mentioned by others, it's the shine factor that turned me off. I love a dewey look, but for my combo skin I just get too oily. Also, this got all over my cell phone when I held it to my ear for a 10min conversation, which leads me o believe I could have ruined a lot of white shirts wearing this! Not to say it isn't a lovely product, but just not for me. The colour matching for me was perfect, but I ended up buying the VL Aqua instead because I preferred the finish & the fact that it doesn't rub off easily.

I bought this foundation having heard all the raves about it and I was not disappointed! However, as amazing as it was, it's not perfect objectively and on a personal level. Here's the pros and cons objectively:

PRO: It smoothed away my pores, does not cling to flaking skin and just makes my skin look absolutely radiant! The coverage was absolutely perfect-you know, where skin looks flawlessly photoshopped whilst still looking like skin. This foundation also has the most natural finish I have ever come across, that is if you have naturally smooth, silky and poreless skin. It gives you such a beautiful, healthy sheen to the face, like a natural highlight which is especially pretty with a translucent powder on top (eg. MUFE HD, Jurlique silk powder). Its also pretty much idiot proof; hands or brush it will never streak, it blends so effortlessly. It also washes off easily (YAY NO CLOGGED PORES)

Cons: Powder is imperative. Even on normal skin (dry skinned girls can get away with it I think). Just as a preemptive maneuver. Because even if the initial glow is beautiful, you will get oily. Its does not have fantastic staying power, so if you need to be flawless for over 8 hours a day I suggest you use this as a 'special occasion' foundation. DO NOT REST YOUR FACE ON YOUR MAN'S SHIRT. It will get extremely awkward (and potentially humiliating) when he looks down at the piece of art you've left behind. The texture is a very runny, so it does feel light, but still quite sticky if you know what I mean. Color selection (as with all chanel foundations) is not great, but very forgiving.

Personally: It's not the best for my combination-oily skin, but I have to say it is a gorgeous foundation. I do wish it were lighter and yellower for color and more durable on my face but I can suck it up for how beautiful it makes my skin look. I dont feel the price is either a positive or negative aspect, it just costs as much as you would expect from a quality foundation.

Additionally, those of you with combo/oily skin who LOVED the finish/effect of this foundation but felt you could not wear it NEVER FEAR, I realized that by mixing my vitalumiere in 20 with the DiorNude skinfinish in 21 I get my HG foundation! The vitalumiere gives the dior the glowiness, hydration and finish (dior was a bit drying and stuck to flakies), whilst the dior gives me the perfect color and wear; it also toned down a bit of the dewiness which I sometimes need.

on 3/18/2011 9:19:00 AM

Bought this product for the marketing promises - sheer and brightening. What I got was shiny. At $65US this was definitely not worth it. Previously, I had used Armani foundation which I liked much better. Lesson learned... stick with what works and ignore the marketing.

on 3/17/2011 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

i will start by saying i loved the finish of this foundation and the coverage was great.

i only had a sample of it that i got from my chanel counter to try the foundation out before i bought it. i am SO glad i did!

i used this foundation for a couple days and i loved it, then my skin broke out like it never has before. i thought maybe my skin was just in a bad mood, so i switched to one of my fuller coverage foundations. then when my skin cleared up which it did pretty quickly, i switched back to vitalumiere. my skin broke out again terribly.

that was when i realized it was the foundation, which is upsetting. i had never heard of this foundation making people break out, so i was kind of shocked and sad.

to be honest i am not sure if it was a breakout or an allergic reaction, it was just terrible.

on 3/16/2011 5:42:00 PM

I found the color match to be very good, but the formula is way too sticky and dewy for me, as I have oily skin. This foundation provides medium coverage.

This would be a good foundation for younger women who can really pull off the dewy look and for someone who does not need a lot of coverage.

on 3/13/2011 3:32:00 AM

GREAT GREAT GREAT foundation! leaves a very lovely finish. My face looks glowy and healthy but not oily. It has a slight scent though so if you're sensitive to that you might not light it. The coverage is minimal but the finish totally blows me away. Non-irritating on my sensitive skin. LOVE!

This is one of two products I have ever returned in my life. This foundation was terrible. I don't understand why people like it. There was next to no coverage, it was STICKY (not dewy, or glowy, which I love, but STICKY), and it didn't blend very well. I tried it a few times and had to return it and get my $61 CAD back. It was so not worth it. I will stick to my Revlon Colorstay, thank you very much. It's WAY cheaper, makes me look dewy, and doesn't feel like I'm wearing fly paper.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

My ultimate HG foundation.

I have combo skin which can be really dry in areas BUT I also developed acne on my chin/jaw area last year so I can no longer use it in that area because it's not oil free. I just have to use a different one on that part of my face but it's a shame because the Vitalumiere makes my skin look so darn good and the colour match is perfect.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

UPDATE: Chanel has discontinued my shade - 05 Diaphane and the next shade up 07 ivoire is way yellow and too dark on my PPP NW10 skin, so once I run out I'll have to switch to something else :(

This has become HG really fast and I'm really pleasantly suprised.

I'm very pale and mostly neutral and just lean slightly towards the cool side (NW10) and have a hard time finding shades that work... Most are too dark, or pale enough but are either very pink or very yellow. Chanel in general doesn't have a great shade selection for either very fair and darker complexions, but after another PPP said she found a good match I decided to give it a go.

05 diaphane is a perfect match for me.

My skin is normal/dry and very acne prone and turns very dry in the winter.

Vitalumiere goes on like a dream, it feels like you're applying moisturizer instead of a foundation. The coverage is light, slightly more coverage than a tinted moisturizer... but it is buildable. It's not going to cover any blemishes or imperfections, so I do find I use more concealer than I have with other foundations.

A lot of foundations marketed for dry skin transfer everywhere, onto my clothes, my phone, my Dh! This stays put yet it extremely moisturizing and does not dry my skin out.

This is your glowy dewy my skin but better foundation. It evens out my skintone but looks like my SKIN and not like a mask. It is expensive ($55) but worth every penny.

If you have dry skin I would highly recommend it. Nothing else gives me such a natural glowy look as Vitalumiere. Will repurchase!

on 3/2/2011 5:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This foundation is well worth the expense. I have problem skin, dry, little oily in the t-zone and rosacea which I have under control now but it was a problem at the time. This foundation seems to calm it down even more plus I get this radiant, dewy glow that I love. If you're into that type of look, this foundation is definitely for you. Very oily skin types would not work with this foundation but anyone who has combination skin could definitely benefit from this. I apply it with the Chanel Foundation Brush #16 and coupled with this foundation gives me a radiant look. I would get a sample first because Chanel's colors are rather tough to choose.