MAC Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation

3.7

(Original formulation - September 2011): ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Octinoxate 3.40%, Titanium Dioxide 1.00% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Butylene Glycol, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lecithin, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Algae Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Dipropylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Laureth-7, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Dimethicone/Peg-10/15 Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Peg-10 Crosspolymer, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone Silylate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Chloroxylenol, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, [ /- Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288)]

This is my HG foundation! For daytime at least, since there is SPF in it I wouldn't want to take flash photography pictures in it but I haven't had to cross that bridge quite yet. I also on MUFE HD which I would tend to use if I know pictures will be taken, but that's almost the only reason I even still have that foundation anymore.

The only other MAC skin product I own is moisturecover concealer in NW15 - on my skin, it looks orangey. On my under eyes though, it blends really well (likely because my undereyes are slightly blue so it evens out.) So I'd venture to say that NW15 is generally too dark for me, but shade 1.0 in Matchmaster, though it goes on a little pale, adjusts to my skin perfectly!

The coverage is medium, but I can build this foundation over my blemishes to achieve full coverage which is something I haven't found myself able to do with a foundation before. I do have to generally exfoliate and moisturize very well, as well as add a touch of moisturizer to the foundation before I apply it, but having dry skin this is how it's worked with pretty much every foundation I've ever used, so I'm used to it by now. The finish is a demi-matte which I think still looks natural on me because I'm so dry skinned anyway.

What really has me sold on this foundation though - it DOES NOT COME OFF unless I tell it to. Since I don't really combat oily skin, this stuff just doesn't budge. I've tested it through drinking, dancing, sweat, tears, sleeping - and my foundation will still look perfect 16 hours later. That's why this is my HG. I don't even use setting powder with it (hello dryness) I just use setting spray and honestly I don't even know that I need that over this foundation.

I haven't yet had any issues removing it off with soap, water, and a washcloth either. I love this foundation! It was worth every penny.

on 3/15/2013 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Neutral

To my brown skinned sisters: Stay away if you have yellow or golden undertones! An hour after application, my face took on this reddish hue. Shame because the finish is so natural :/

on 3/12/2013 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This honestly matches my skin perfectly. It's so incredible the way it blends. I didn't think it would, but damn it impressed me.
I have oily skin so this, being matte, worked great for me. I wouldn't, however, recommend this for dry skin as it's thick and matte and would accentuate any flakes very easily
This helped to keep me oil free for several hours longer than anything else i have tried, left my skin looking very natural too. It's also one of the few things that hasn't broken me out!

on 3/11/2013 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

i reach for my matchmster 5.0 when i feel i need slightly more coverage than other days however i don't recommend this for going out with flash photography going on. this has given me that dreadful white cast on my face in pictures and i have learned to stay away from spf foundations since then. my skin is normal, combination/oily and for long days matchmaster is great bc i rarely have to touch up or mattify my face with my powder that i carry with me throughout the day. i've even been complimented with this foundation by a mac artist who said it looks great on my skin. what i don't like about matchmaster however is the smell of it. it has quite a strong odour that almost smells like paint that lingers the first couple hours u have it on. it transfers easily, so be careful. the bigger points of matchmaster go to its oil control qualities and great coverage if u want a medium-full coverage foundation. i wouldn't buy it again, i'd prob stick to my face and body foundation or search for another one offering similar qualities of matchmaster

on 3/6/2013 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Loves it. I'm listed on MUA as combination type skin but in fact I'm more oily skintype, This means that everything with even a hint of dewyness is the enemy . This foundation finishes matte, very matte. If you have any type of dry patch on your skin it will emphasize this. For me it's perfect because dryness isn't an issue for me. Secondly the coverage is good and buildable without looking cakey. Also after having worn it for approximately three months my skin hasn't had any reactions to it (no break-outs etc.). The only thing I notice sometimes is that this foundation tends to oxydice and turn orange a bit. But since I set with a powder this balances the colour out and for me it's something I can work around. So thumbs up for this one

I've used this for about 6 months now and just recently I've not been impressed. I've found that all it does is highlight my dry patches no matter how much I moisturize which is a major no no. When it comes to keeping you shine free, I have more of combination skin so there's some oil, it needs an amazing primer AND setting power just to stay matte for an hour. The color was another issue. It doesn't match my skin like it says. It's way too light and there's no adjustment. Plus it's just not enough to cover scars. It's a good foundation if your skin looks good and is in great shape but I wouldn't recommend it for problem skin.

on 3/2/2013 6:32:00 PM

I decided to finally try Mac and was disappointed. I would compare Matchmaster to many of the L'oreal or Revlon foundations I've tried: too heavy, too opaque, and not just makeuppy looking but unflattering. This stuff clung to every line, wrinkle and pore -- I was surprised it was supposedly a "high end" product.

When I want medium to full coverage it's back to Make Up Forever for me. I tried a Mac concealer and primer with this foundation and none of these three products can hold a candle to what has worked for me from MUFE.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Matchmaster is my favorite foundation out of all Mac foundations. I have really oily skin, and although I still get oily, it's probably the only foundation that reduced it a bit. It's pretty lightweight and does not break me out. I think it's cool that it adjusts to your skin tone, I always have problems with finding my perfect shade. The thing that I don't like about it is that it oxidizes and I turn a little orange at times, but It's not too bad.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

When I first got the foundation I loved it! I have really pale skin and my undertone is cool so I've had a really hard time finding a color that match my skintone. I got the one in 1.0 and the second time I got it I thought the color was a bit off and I noticed it started breaking me out. I have combination skin it's a bit of everything really and it did look nice on my skin but when products make me break out that's a deal breaker for me so sadly I don't think I would buy it again.

on 2/28/2013 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I loved everything about this foundation. I got the 1.0, which was a PERFECT match for my skin. I was thrilled that I had finally got a foundation that matched my skin. However, I broke out in cystic acne after a couple of days of wearing this product. I love it so much--it blended really well on my skin and wore very long. (The liquid foundation applied with the MAC 190 brush is just flawless.) The foundation doesn't love me back, so I had to return it. The search for the perfect foundation continues... :(