October 21, 2014 | 1938 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by oceanblue42

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have only been using this for about a week but I think I have found my HG moisturizer!

I have skin that gets oily pretty fast after washing, to the point where by the end of the day, it feels like an oil slick and my makeup just rubs off. The theory behind using jojoba oil seemed to make sense (oily skin is actually dehydrated and overcompensating by producing so much oil) and it really seems to be working!

I do find that how I use it affects how effective it is. Applying it right after washing my face seems to work the best, or at least making sure I apply it to damp skin. I also find you need very little and it's easy to over-apply, which will leave your face very oily. If I've let my skin dry out before applying it, or if I've applied to much, I just take a damp wash cloth and dab gently at the oily spots to remove the excess that's not sinking in properly.

After I've used the right amount and let it sink in, my face is shiny, but not oily feeling. Once I apply my makeup (usually primer, liquid foundation, and finishing powder) it looks great! No more shine. Now, that's how my face normally looks right after applying makeup so the real test was if it would STAY matte. And it did! The few times I've used this as a moisturizer have been the ONLY times I can remember when my face did not get oily by the end of the day. It stayed matte all day long! Finally something that works!

I've also been using it at night before bed. I apply it more liberally at night since I'm not concerned if my face looks greasy and I figure the extra moisture helps. I also apply some to my eyebrows since they tend to be fairly coarse and scraggly and this seems to be softening them and taming them a bit.

If you're finding this stuff isn't working for you, I recommend experimenting with how much you put on and when before giving up on it, as method seemed to make a big difference in its effectiveness for me.

The one issue I have with it is the packaging. It's very easy to pour out too much and it gets messy fast. After a week the top of mine is already oily. That's a pretty minor issue as far as I'm concerned though, considering this works so well for my face. I think maybe an eyedropper as a few others have mentioned would help with the packaging issue.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 2:00:00 PM More reviews by d0llie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my #1, can't live without, must have product. It is a bit pricy depending on where you buy it, though. I would recommend buying it on iherb.com. It is regularly priced about $9.00 there which is one of the lowest prices available, BUT if you use the code KOY923 at checkout, you will receive $5 off, making it an amazing price of only $4! I just keep finding more and more uses for this product, which is why I think everyone should buy it. I have stretched earlobes 00g, and I use this to massage them twice daily, and it keeps my ears healthy and elastic. I have never had a "blowout" or any pain when going up a size, and it is all thanks to jojoba oil. I also cover my plugs in it before I put them in, so it will moisturize and heal the inside of my ears as well. Another use for this oil is an amazing night time moisturizer. I apply it to my face before bed after I wash it, and my skin is so soft, so clear, evenly toned, and blemish free every morning. Since I have been doing this I've been getting compliments daily on my skin. Another use for jojoba oil is a healer for cuts, scrapes, and scratches. Just apply it on your skin where your scratch is for a few days, and it will heal much faster with less chance of scarring. Jojoba oil will also heal and strengthen you nails. Just massage it onto a clean nail, and let it soak in. This will make your nails stronger, smoother, and less likely to crack. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Jojoba oil also makes an amazing hair treatment similar to Argan oil. You can use it in the shower while your hair is wet for deep cleaning and smoothing, OR after your hair is dry to add shine and get rid of frizziness. The reason jojoba oil works is because it is structured like the sebum in our skin. This means that when it is absorbed into the body, it can easily mix with the natural sebum and stop it from clogging up the pores. Also, it is 100% natural and vegan. YOU'VE GOT TO TRY IT! I love this stuff so much! :)

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2011 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Finki

I've been using this product for 2 yrs every day. For me it is must have. Yes I am using daily moisturizer with SPF. I use serums, masks because I am skin junkie , but this is number one product . My favorite combination is mixed 3-5 drops of this oil with spoon aloe vera gel an gently massage it into my face and décollté area after cleaning my face with foaming cleanser ( I use African soap). I leave it for 10 mins and I i take a cotton pad and wipe the excess. It take away all the extra foundation and it cleanse my face perfectly .this is my routine every night. In the winter time I like to put night cream because air is more dry . I have really good skin. But I do have larger pores, and I have some hyperpigmentation ( I do not burn on sun but I have to avoid it as much possible) . I don’t believe in miracles when it comes to facial creams. I rather go to esthetician and do photo facials and microdermabrasion . But I do believe that good moisturizer does not have to be expensive . I do get a lots of compliments on my skin and I like to share my secrets and trust me if remove all the moisturizer I use -this one stays for sure

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2011 3:21:00 PM More reviews by enydonus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a really nice, healthy, organic oil. I bought my bottle a few years ago and am still using it. Jojoba oil is a nice addition to the FSG I make on occasion. I also tend to use this as a gentle makeup remover before bed and to help clear my pores after a hot shower. It breaks up all the makeup and washes off easily with warm water, leaving my skin supple but clean. If I'm taking off makeup at night, I follow it up with Caudalie's eau demaquillant to be thorough. My skin used to be very problematic but since changing my skincare to include this oil I don't get breakouts and my skin is smooth and beautiful. I also appreciate that it's a natural product and not loaded with excess chemicals.

It does tend to get everywhere and leak out but it is oil and it doesn't leave the medicine cabinet.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2011 3:01:00 PM More reviews by SarcasmCynical

This is the ONLY moisturizer that doesn't clog my pores horribly. I know we're all brainwashed to believe that Oil is bad for your face, but as science will tell you, sebum (oil) is the perfect protection for skin (some of us just make waaaaay too damn much). It is very important to note that if you don't mix it with water (I.E. Wet face or hands) it will make your face drier (I know, totally weird). It really doesn't take very much either, just one to two drops (maybe more depending on how dry your skin is). If you over do it, your face will be shiny. I like how it smells too, kind of like toasted nuts. It is kind of expensive ($8 for 4oz), but it's cheaper than other things and will last forever if used sparingly.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2011 7:07:00 PM More reviews by channingto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

Tried this all over my face.. I didn't break out but had little bumps right under my eyes at the top of my cheekbones. This was the only new thing added to my regimen and when I stopped using it, they went away. That wasn't permanent, so it's fine, but this iddn't do anything for my skin. It didn't make my flaky skin go away or make my face any more hydrated. Also tried a little on my hair and I had the hardest time washing it out and my hair was so darn greasy until I could get it all out, and after, my hair wasn't any better than what I had started with. Bummer.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2011 11:36:00 PM More reviews by ymseller

I decided to try Desert Essence Jojoba Oil after reading so many positive reviews. I was looking for a cheaper alternative to Caudalie's Premieres Vendanges Moisturizing Cream, and this oil proved to be the perfect all-natural, affordable, light facial moisturizer. For my combination skin, it's best to put on immediately after showering. I like to use about two drops and massage it on my slightly damp face in a circular motion. If I don't massage it, I find that it sits on my skin like a film and takes a while to absorb. The oil has made my pores shrink, and I haven't had any breakouts (save for a few PMS-related pimples).

I also like to use it daily on my upper back and shoulders to treat back acne (immediately after showering). I've been doing this for about a month and have noticed that my back has become extremely smooth with smaller pimples (if they appear at all). Past scarring is still there, but the oil definitely helps with lightening scars.

As others have mentioned, the only con is that the pop-top bottle makes it difficult for small doses. Minor inconvenience. Overall, beyond-excellent product for an affordable price ($10 at Whole Foods for 4 oz compared to my previous $35 moistuzer).

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2011 9:22:00 PM More reviews by hellohello0o00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Update:

USE THIS OIL IF YOU WANT TONS OF CLOGGED PORES!! This did not work for me at all. I have oily skin with acne as a result of clogged pores, and this oil only further exacerbated my symptoms 100 times more! At first I didn't notice the effect, but after looking at my skin from natural lighting I could see numerous little bumps. I do have to admit that it controlled my oily skin though.

Old Review: I started using this product a few days ago. And guess what? NO more clogged pores!! I have suffered from clogged pores the longest time and can always literally get stuff out using my extractor every night. However, since I have started using this product (and I changed my cleanser to Purpose Gentle Cleanser), I said GOODBYE to clogged pores. Not a SINGLE pore was clogged. However, I am experiencing whiteheads right now, which I was aware of because of the purging process. Hopefully, my skin can become clear after 2 weeks. Will update when I get great skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2011 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Freyamarie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Jojoba oil has done for me what no cream has ever been able to: It's made the dry/oily, sensitive, acne-prone mess that is my skin so, so much better.

This is now the only skincare I use. I use a few drops on wet skin morning and night, and already within the first few weeks I saw a huge improvement: It improved my skin to the point where I don't even have to use powder anymore, which is nothing short of a miracle.

This is not the same as putting eg. olive oil on your face - jojoba oil sinks in very quickly, leaving no residue. Jojoba oil is actually a wax, and it's very similar to skin's own sebum so it makes sense that it balances both oily and dry skin without clogging pores. Please note though, you're supposed to use this on WET skin. If used on dry skin, it can actually dry out the skin even more.

I've never tried this particular brand, but like someone else said, the brand probably doesn't matter as long as it's organic 100% jojoba oil.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2011 8:16:00 PM More reviews by StacyElizabeth

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Jojoba oil. I love you. :D
You do so much for me!
Remove any stubborn makeup,
Cleanse my pores,
Relieve an itchy dry winter scalp,
Moisturize and heal dry skin (knees, elbows, heels, etc.),
and so much more.
I just wanted to let everyone know all the things that you do, and hopefully you can help them out as well!
Ladies, it's cheap, it is a MULTI-TASKER. It does 293480932 different things in one bottle. Um, that works for me. :3
I'm: An Oilllyyyy skinned girl, with extremely oily hair. My skin is relatively okay, except for those horrible hormonal breakouts. I use this to remove my makeup in the shower (get your face wet first) and it works on any kind of mascara I wear. :D I like to put jojoba oil on my neck, knees, feet, etc etc everywhere! The steam of the shower kinda' makes the oil sink in more (or at least that's what I tell myself.. XD) and it gives you a pretty luxurious feel.