July 25, 2014 | 1926 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2012 11:29:00 AM More reviews by delicatepost

This is a very very fine powder.. it has no scent... It does set on my skin nicely.. it also makes my skin look brighter... not as sheer as other setting powders I've tried.. I can see the powder set on my nose.. my skin has no oil after this setting powder,, the packaging is a huge bulky cube,, which takes up so much space,, make it more compact!!! I wouldnt buy it again because there are other products out there that I like better..

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Leovalentine00

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have extremely sensative skin and this powder doesnt upset it at all which I wasnt expecting for a cheap 6$ product. It sets beautifully and feels silky to the touch and stays that way! It doesnt last any longer than 4 hours for me but I do have oily skin. I would definitely buy this product again but one must be very careful in the ammount of product you actually apply. It tends to look cakey if you dont buff and tap your brush first. Its e.l.f. and for 6$ this powder really does the job well.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by chinco

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think the best way to use this is to mix it with any other powders that you want to throw away but feel pity about doing so. I got sample packets of everyday mineral's powders and mix them with this ELF translucent powder. actually I dont like the feeling when there's a layer of colorless powder on my skin. the package is spacious that you can mix whatever you want.
You don't really have to spend $$ on a kabuki brush, I think the puff that comes along with this powder is great. its soft on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/22/2012 12:38:00 PM More reviews by historian12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I used this powder for awhile, but ended up throwing it away. If you're not careful about how you apply it, it can leave a whitish cast to the skin. The powder also has a strange, plastic-like texture--I really can't describe it. It also does nothing to absorb oil. The package is also bulky and awkward. Now that I think back on it, I'm not sure why I used it as long as I did!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2012 12:32:00 PM More reviews by staci13

I want to start off by saying I gave this a four instead of a five because of its acne causing capacity. It's minor acne, but I tested it enough to come to the conclusion that this was the cause. I digress, this powder performs wonderfully. It has a pretty smooth application, and it DOES seem to contain little bits that may not have been milled enough, not a bit deal, I just brush them away with a kabuki brush. This does set foundation nicely , and keeps the oil at bay for a few hours longer than normal loose powder. Initially it seems to give my face a whitened porcelain doll look, but that soon disappears as it is absorbed by my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2012 12:35:00 AM More reviews by Emilyisagiant

I really don't know how I feel about this product, if I'm honest. I like that it is translucent, but it's semi-difficult to put on. It makes my skin feel weird. I think I like Maybelline's mineral veil better.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2012 7:06:00 PM More reviews by jlonghorn2002

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I get compliments on looking good every time I use this powder. I use this powder at night only - its my special evening powder - not everyday work wear. I have never used a translucent powder before bc I did not understand the purpose of it. I always thought I needed coverage and pigmented powders. This translucent powder illuminates my face and brightens me up. It def is a matte finish, so I dont get a dewey look with this. I prefer dewey bc it looks less "made up," but I cant seem to pull off a dewey look due to my acne scars. So I will accept with the fact that I have to settle with matte if I want to look decent. But with the help of this powder, atleast I can pull off the bright and light face look. Additionally, it sets my makeup really well - even on hot/muggy evenings, it minimizes making sliding and melting off. I suppose the only area they need to work on is the packaging - packaging needs an upgrade, product gets everywhere.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2012 11:26:00 AM More reviews by thewolfwife

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I prefer this to the AWFUL MUFE HD powder...that powder is terrible. This is great for the price point, minimizes my pores, looks a little powdery but I spray with Caudalie Beauty Elixir and it settles perfectly. i have sensitive skin and zero breakouts from this. Try this if you're looking for a new powder!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2012 10:31:00 AM More reviews by insidiousraven

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is not my favorite powder. It always just kind of sat on top of my face and sometimes would look flaky. I don't think I'd buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2012 11:10:00 PM More reviews by kf2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a good, solid setting powder, but it's nothing miraculous. I'm nearing the end of my second container, so I've obviously found it satisfactory, but I'm still keeping an eye out for something better. I can't compare it to MUFE's HD Powder since I've never used that product, so this review will be based entirely on this product's own merit.

First off, the packaging. The container is very bulky. My first one had a skewed lid, so when it was tightened all the way, the corners didn't match up and it stuck out awkwardly. The second one was normal. If you peel the clear sticker over the sifter completely off, this will pour out way too much powder. I just poke through the plastic over several of the holes, and that lets out a more reasonable amount at a time. A note on the sifter: it's not set securely into the container, so if you flip the jar upside down and shake or tap it to get the powder out, the sifter CAN fall completely out of the jar, dumping powder everywhere. (I speak from disgruntled experience.) So make sure you're holding the sifter in place when shaking out powder. Lastly, even if you don't use the included puff (which I don't), keep it in the jar on top of the sifter when you're not using it. It cuts down on the amount of powder that might come loose if your jar is jostled around.

On to the application. I use a fluffy powder brush to apply this all over my face as a setting powder, using a swirl, tap, & sweep method. The powder is not finely milled; I actually find it a bit coarse and you can easily make out the silica spheres in it. Because of this, I try to keep the application light and blend it into the skin well. I'm very fair, but this can still leave a noticeable white cast on me if I overdo it, almost like baby powder. As long as I don't over-apply and I blend well, this isn't much of an issue.

Performance-wise, I'm satisfied. I don't notice any of the "pore minimizing" effects that some say it has (perhaps my pores are just too gargantuan for this to make a difference), but it does set my makeup well and helps prevent transfer. My skin is very oily and can eat through foundation in just a few hours, but this helps it stay in place much better. I will still get shiny, but I stay fresh-looking for longer with this powder than I do with almost anything else (the only thing I've used that could trump it is BE's Mineral Veil).

It's a great for absorbing oil and I especially like it for use over more emollient and/or tacky foundations and concealers. It has a completely matte finish (which is good, but can leave an almost flat appearance if overdone -- again, using sparingly and blending well helps with this). Texture-wise, it leaves a very silky feeling behind on the skin. I've actually used it as a primer in a few instances, brushing it on over my moisturizer/prepping product of the day, then applying foundation, then applying another layer of this to set.

Overall, I find this powder does the job, and it gets a special nod of gratitude for not breaking out my insanely fussy and acne-prone skin. I will still be on the lookout for something better, as I would like to find something with more convenient/less messy packaging and with no worries of a possible white cast. I would repurchase this, though, if I don't find something with those qualifications.