April 19, 2014 | 840 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2012 11:10:00 PM More reviews by kf2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a good, solid setting powder, but it's nothing miraculous. I'm nearing the end of my second container, so I've obviously found it satisfactory, but I'm still keeping an eye out for something better. I can't compare it to MUFE's HD Powder since I've never used that product, so this review will be based entirely on this product's own merit.

First off, the packaging. The container is very bulky. My first one had a skewed lid, so when it was tightened all the way, the corners didn't match up and it stuck out awkwardly. The second one was normal. If you peel the clear sticker over the sifter completely off, this will pour out way too much powder. I just poke through the plastic over several of the holes, and that lets out a more reasonable amount at a time. A note on the sifter: it's not set securely into the container, so if you flip the jar upside down and shake or tap it to get the powder out, the sifter CAN fall completely out of the jar, dumping powder everywhere. (I speak from disgruntled experience.) So make sure you're holding the sifter in place when shaking out powder. Lastly, even if you don't use the included puff (which I don't), keep it in the jar on top of the sifter when you're not using it. It cuts down on the amount of powder that might come loose if your jar is jostled around.

On to the application. I use a fluffy powder brush to apply this all over my face as a setting powder, using a swirl, tap, & sweep method. The powder is not finely milled; I actually find it a bit coarse and you can easily make out the silica spheres in it. Because of this, I try to keep the application light and blend it into the skin well. I'm very fair, but this can still leave a noticeable white cast on me if I overdo it, almost like baby powder. As long as I don't over-apply and I blend well, this isn't much of an issue.

Performance-wise, I'm satisfied. I don't notice any of the "pore minimizing" effects that some say it has (perhaps my pores are just too gargantuan for this to make a difference), but it does set my makeup well and helps prevent transfer. My skin is very oily and can eat through foundation in just a few hours, but this helps it stay in place much better. I will still get shiny, but I stay fresh-looking for longer with this powder than I do with almost anything else (the only thing I've used that could trump it is BE's Mineral Veil).

It's a great for absorbing oil and I especially like it for use over more emollient and/or tacky foundations and concealers. It has a completely matte finish (which is good, but can leave an almost flat appearance if overdone -- again, using sparingly and blending well helps with this). Texture-wise, it leaves a very silky feeling behind on the skin. I've actually used it as a primer in a few instances, brushing it on over my moisturizer/prepping product of the day, then applying foundation, then applying another layer of this to set.

Overall, I find this powder does the job, and it gets a special nod of gratitude for not breaking out my insanely fussy and acne-prone skin. I will still be on the lookout for something better, as I would like to find something with more convenient/less messy packaging and with no worries of a possible white cast. I would repurchase this, though, if I don't find something with those qualifications.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2012 3:29:00 PM More reviews by mikxoh

Oh no x: I had such high hopes D:! When applied, it left my skin feeling so velvety and lovely...and then came the painful breakouts. My skin did not like this guy one bit and completely raged about it for a good week.

Damn my acne prone skin. I can see this product being amazing for everyone else though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2012 3:00:00 PM More reviews by sofaloaf

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Yet another one of my HG products!!
PROS
Leaves skin SO soft
Makes skin look flawless/blurs imperfections
super cheap!
a ton of product comes in the package
smooth finish
unfragranced
extremely fine milled
easy to apply
shine free, semi matte, yet gives a "glow from within" look

CONS
leaves face a little pale
packaging bulky, cheap looking
powder tends to spill out of closed package

My tips for best use:
Blend well/apply a little extra bronzer to counter it from showing up white.
DO NOT throw away the useless little powder puff that comes in the jar, it prevents the powder from sifting up and spilling everywhere. If you throw it away there will be powder all over your dresser, purse, clothes...not good!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2012 3:13:00 PM More reviews by NinaJoy

L-O-V-E this powder

Nothing bad to say about this powder- great for setting foundation, concealer, nixing shine or locking in that smooth matte finish.

Wish the packaging wasn't as bulky. Also, the lid doesn't stay shut well so store somewhere safe or you'll have a mess on your hands. doesn't travel well but for $3 for a whole thing, i shouldn't complain about a thing!

would repurchase. actually considering buying a back up now...fearing people will catch on to how great it is and buy them out immediately!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2012 9:17:00 AM More reviews by sanckensmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have three targets in my town, only one sells a huge selection of E.L.F products. I have the MUFE version of this silica powder, so I can do a just comparison. This product was $5.00 on sale. It really does diffuse the look of large pores, does not allow my skin to get shiny throughout the day ( I use if over primer and ELDW) and does not break me out. You get a huge amount of loose powder, the container screws on so no messy spills. It does look slightly white and powdery once applied, but I remedy this by spritizing my face with UD all nighter spray and voila, it melds into my skin.. To the posters that do not recommend E.L.F products all I can say is try it for yourselves, I can see no difference between this and the HE MUFE version.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2012 9:44:00 PM More reviews by next1

Well ok this is a first for me as i usually tend to agree with the majority on mua but sorry cant agree on this on. This product on first try did amaze me because it did create the soft focus almost airbrushed appearance everyone talks about. But after a few more tries i began to notice the main differences between this and the mufe hd powder. This is finely milled but no where near as fine as mufe whicb to me explains why it does not sit on top of skin as the mufe one does, instead this one does eventually settle into dry spots, fine lines and i think the grittier texture of this may also play a part into why on me i will see a white cast to my face if i put a little too much on. And on me ag least if u look very closely u can see the actual little particles of the powder on your skin. Anyway so mufe is still better to me, but this is the best finishing powder like it on a budget.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by js1624

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

OMG, HG for sure!! Thanks to all you ladies who wrote reviews - this is awesome and the only powder I have been able to use on my sensative skin in years. Most have mica in them and it is very irritating. This stuff makes your makeup look great and stay that way all day. It may look little dry at first but after a while your skin looks like velvet. I even tried it when I got home in the evening after work on top of my foundation and shiney nose - there was no caking, streaking or anything else - it just looked great. Wonderfull product! I will probably buy a couple more just to stock up.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2012 8:20:00 PM More reviews by 1216jennifer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this powder! I think it works as well as a high end a hd powder. I use it to set my foundation and concealer. It does not leave me looking like a ghost.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2012 7:46:00 PM More reviews by haleigh92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of the many makeup items I won on a site called Buzznet, and I'm in love with it! It works amazingly, and you can't beat the price like many others have said! I would totally recommend it! :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2012 6:04:00 PM More reviews by sjlc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

ugh. After all the nice reviews I wanted to love this. And I did. At first. I put it on after foundation and it cut shine and made my face silky. Didn't really have an issue with a white cast, and it was $3 when I got it.
Then I went to work. It was awful! I looked dead and (I swear) my face is oily, and I had just mosturized and exfoliated the night before and I had tons of tiny dry patches! I felt so insecure the rest of the day. I even tried this different ways with a powder brush and looked at it in different lightings like school and daylight. This stuff is bad.