December 18, 2014 | 1060 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 10:22:00 PM More reviews by ivanabacowboy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This powder was a pleasant surprise for the price of only $6. This powder does an excellent job at mattifying, smoothing imperfections and minimizing the appearance of pores. Just a light application is all that is needed. The price can't be beat. The container is a bit akward twist-off, the puff is functional. Lasts the better part of the day. A cheap gem in my beauty kit for those days I feel like being "smoothed", "poreless" and "mattified". I have dry skin and this powder does not cake or flake-bonus points!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2013 5:55:00 PM More reviews by jatkins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I actually give it a 4.5. The only reason I hold back on a 5 is because it is crazy messy! ELF needs to make the packaging more like BE's newish packaging with the sift guard. However- that would probably raise the price.
The product itself is great stuff. I have started using this with my BE foundation rather than Mineral Veil. I definitely prefer this. A little goes a long way. If you put just a tiny bit on your face, it goes on clear and you will get a smooth and blended look. If you put too much, you can end up with a greyish film...but that really takes a lot. I put a tiny bit on between my foundation and bronzer. Then a tiny bit more after I add blush. This product is very messy so I recommend only peeling off the plastic dispenser guard 1/4 of the way. If you rip the whole thing off, you will have a mess every time you twist the lid of the canister off. Don't get MUF's HD powder or BE's Mineral Veil. This stuff blows both out of the water and is way cheaper!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by shilaanne

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a great setting powder. I hate the plastic grid thing so I popped it out & threw it away. Great product, pretty good packaging, and great price. You do have to be careful and not use too much of this stuff, because it is white. A little goes a LONG way.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by lukeyb

I do love this product and agree with others that too much can make your face paler. I found it works best for me to apply BEFORE my blush and contouring. When I put it on after blush/contour, it washed them out. But it does a great job of mattefying my face and making it look less cakey. Great product!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 1:09:00 AM More reviews by Jennbabbles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

be careful to not use too much powder on your face as it can make you look a bit grey. This is a great setting powder, and for the price it is so cheap! ive heard it compares to the MUFE HD powder but this is so much cheaper. i've already purchased backups for when i run out

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2012 2:45:00 AM More reviews by hiiixox3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely, 110%, LOVE this powder. It definitely reminds me (key word: reminds!) of MUFE's HD powder.
MUFE is 100% mineral silica powder, while ELF's powder has Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer with silica. The purpose for dimethicone and vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer is to help create the "soft, velvety/silky" feel. They're silicones (please note that, in case you are sensitive to dimethicone).
From my personal experience, they both did a great job and the staying power was great for both (about 8 hours for MUFE and about 6.5 hours for ELF. Yes it is less, however, the price for ELF is about 1/5 of the price for the full size container of the MUFE powder-- And a little more than 1/2 of the price compared to the travel size of MUFE).

Now, enough about comparisons. ELF's HD powder comes in a large, black plastic container and contains a powder puff inside. It's rather bulky; however, I do not mind since it holds tons of product in there. The only complaint I have with the container is that controlling how much of the product can be dispensed is rather tricky. I wish it was more like Bare Escentual's lock dispenser; it's a lot easier, less messier, and would help save product since it would cause less spillage/waste.

For my application, I definitely use the powder puff. I used to use a brush, however, I feel the powder puff works a lot better since it is less messier and I can really press the product onto my face. I've been using this product for a while and I have never seen a white cast on my face, especially during flash photography (I can see that if you do go overboard with any loose powder, a white cast can definitely show).

After all that has been said and done, my verdict stands as: it is an amazing product. I have repurchased it already (after using it for roughly 9-10 months and using it any where from 5-7 days of the week), and will continue to repurchase it when my seemingly large bulky plastic container runs out. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2012 3:15:00 PM More reviews by LittleViolet

Really light translucent powder--does a great job mattifying without being drying. It is a steal at $6 although the packaging could be better (the lid can be hard to screw back on, and feels kind of cheap, but what can I complain about? It is $6 and has wonderful product inside). I still travel with Boots Translucent Powder due to its packaging, but this is a great powder to have at half the price.

I have to keep it away from my brown eyebrows though, because the powder can look a little dusty if I bump up against them.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by BeautyLoverRN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Just bought this tonight for $6 in the shade Translucent. I was spurred on to get this after trying my mom's MUFE HD Powder tonight, which seemed amazing, but I could never pay those prices. :-(
So, I put on this Elf powder right when I got home, and I really like it! It somehow camouflaged my forehead wrinkles, which makes it practically HG in my book! I'm too young (25) for these wrinkles!
Feels velvety, is mattifying, and I could not discern any shimmer. The first powder to cover up my forehead lines! I did not notice any "white cast", but I also don't apply much, because I find all I need is to put the pouf over the powder filter, shake, and apply (patting/dabbing softly to "greasy" areas and areas with fine lines). Two times total for my whole face. Btw, I'm NW20, if that makes any difference to anyone. :-)
Note: I will keep using this powder, and update if it causes any breakouts. :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2012 4:36:00 PM More reviews by kinta80s

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I've had this in corrective yellow and translucent. Sets my oily face to a matte silky finish for around 4h with l'oreal BB prior to application. Would definitely repurchase, ONLY IF elf.co.uk ran out of the sheer mineral booster large (which is cheaper and bigger quantity), and has similar effect on my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2012 1:31:00 AM More reviews by Tiptoemousey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love the product it is a all seasons product for winter and fall I just apply it with a lighter hand and with summer and spring I apply with a bit more of a heavy hand. I loathe the packaging it is bulky and if you don't keep that powder puff in it then when you open it the product leaks all over the place and gets all over everything I also find if the puff is not in there and you are traveling with it product can leak out even when closed properly. I have a bare minerals compact for loose powder and when I buy this product now I don't even remove the sticker inside I just lift out the clear sifter and pour some into the compact then store it till I need to add more I find much much less is wasted. But for a price of six dollars it is really a good product I tend to find this with elf good products bad packaging but its worth it you just need to think of ways around the packaging problems.