Maybelline SuperStay 24HR Makeup - New Version

3.5

Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Isododecane, Dimethicone, C30 45 Alkyl Dimethylsilyl Propylsilsequioxane, Glycerin, Silica, PEG 10 Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Polyglycerin 3 Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Nylon 12, Phenoxyethanol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Chlorphenesin, Ethylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Acrylates Copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Paraffin, May Contain ( /-): CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77499, CI 77492, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides)

on 12/20/2011 3:34:00 PM

I have done a 2-week test with 2 x 1ml sachets of product, so it is short-term review. FYI I have the "30 Sand/Sable". I wear EL DW in 2N2-Fresco and Dior Forever (old formula) in 020. It matches my face tone perfectly.

Application:
Is smooth, water-based and thin in consistency, more like a serum than a foundation (my other 2 are definitely creamier). I applied it with my fingers and I had even coverage with no streaking. It dries slower than my previous 2 which I think is better because I have more time to work with it. The finish is semi-matte, not powdery but also not glowy. A soft, defused creamy is a more accurate description.
It is advertised as "medium coverage" but the coverage I get is quite light. Some old acne pigmentation on my skin showed through and even with an extra layer on the spot I still could see it. It did not accentuate any dry patches on my face, but also did not hide my 2 flakes (1mm each).

It claims (as shown on the sachets):

--- Lasts up to 24 hours ---
I have not put that to the test, just did my normal work hours.
At day one, after three hours without powder my oily zone has gotten a little shinier but it still held better than my other 2 foundations. More glowy than oily, its a subtle difference. At six hours I wanted to blot or powder, but still looked presentable. Took it off at eight hours. Decent.
Next day I wore it alone and at 3 hours I applied softly a little powder (not mattifying - Chanel loose powder). Gorgeous. At eight hours still looks good with a little blotting being preferable but not necessary.
Third day I wore it powdered from the start and it looked good after 3 hours and just a little glowy at the end of my eight hours.

--- Helps resist sweat and heat ---
It's winter here in Greece so not much heat or sweat. It's a claim I'll have to check on spring/summer.

--- Helps resist rubbing off ---
It does. At four hours I rubbed my face with a white towel and all I had was the tiniest smear of something. Not colour exactly. I believe it is the light dusting of powder I used + my natural oils. It's not like the towel is immaculate, but it says that it "helps resist" so I guess their claim is valid.

--- Flexible, breathable, comfortable ---
Flexible: I don't know how they define this. I never had a foundation "crack" on me.
Breathable: See bellow "clogged pores". Do they mean something else?
Comfortable: Yes, it is. More comfortable than my other two. It really feels like I am not wearing make up. I hate to say this because I am a makeup snob, but I have to admit it.

--- Oil-free ---
Well, I can't check that in any other way than to see the ingredients they provide. As I can see, it is oil-free.

--- Doesn't clog pores ---
For the two weeks I used it it did not clog my pores. And the existing pimple I had healed normaly (as opposed to when I wear the Dior Forever). So I would GUESS that this is still valid for long-term use.

Some more:
It has spf 19, for some this may be a bonus but I personally do not care for that.
It has no smell that I can detect, when I put it under my nose all I detect is a faint, neutral "foundation-ish" smell. How can you describe a non-smell?
From the photo I see that this comes with a pump. This is a plus for me, but I cannot know if it clogs / how much it dispenses.

For what it does I find the price really-really good ($10.99 on their site). Will I buy this? If I needed to buy a foundation now yes, I would. As it is, I'll probably finish my other two first. Only because I paid so much for them.

on 12/20/2011 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

LOVE!!!!! I don't know why this product doesn't have 5 stars!! This is an amazingly amazing FULL COVERAGE foundation and I basically can't live without this. I have gone through Rimmel, Loreal, Clinique foundations, you name it and this is my HG foundation. I have acne and oily/combo skin and this is awesome. It gives a nice matte finish and hides the majority of my teen acne with just a small amount that I put on my brush (about a dime size) and then I don't have to use half as much concealer as I do with other foundations! It is a very blendable foundation, which is great because once my tan fades in the winter, this foundation still matches my skin tone (I am in natural beige). This product unlike some other foundations stays super long AND doesn't clog my pores! Still, any foundation is bad for your skin but this however is worth it. If you want a matte, flawless looking face, TRY THIS! I use this with my Cover FX concealer and top it off with my Neutrogena Mineral Power Foundation Powder (which I will have a whole other review for; they are both amazing as well!) And because of these products (mostly this foundation) I can look my best everyday and putting on makeup takes so much less time with a foundation like this! Also with my oily skin, this makeup STAYS. It doesn't rub off (unless I legit try to rub it) but it doesnt wipe off like most foundations. All I need is sometimes to just use a blotting paper in the middle of the day and I'm all set! I never need to re-apply or anything. THANK YOU NEUTROGENA! Only reason I gave the packaging quality a 4 is because I really wish it had a pump! In the pictures above there is a pump so I'm not sure if that will be in stores soon or that's an old picture? But a pump would be nice! Still, I love love love this so please don't be hesitant to try this. It's $11 at my local CVS and that might sound expensive to some but if you think about it, it is so worth it for the quality of this product. Some people go out spending $50+ for foundations like Chanel, Dior, Estee Lauder, etc. and honestly, this product is definately comparible if not better than most of those foundations. Even if there are better out there, this is all I need.

on 12/12/2011 11:36:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

So I have tried a few foundations...revlon colorstay,maybelline dream smooth mousse, Rimmel 25 hr wear and a tinted moisturizer.
I have had okay expierances with all..I loved dream smooth mousse but it didnt last at all! And I have dry skin..go figure.
But I was using revlon colorstay and I dont think Ill be going back because I surprisingly like this foundation a lot.
It gives pretty good coverage for the first layer and sometimes if I have a pimple or anything I add just a little bit more. I use my beauty blender to apply (ITS AMAZING LADIES I DIDNT BELIEVE THE HYPE BUT THAT BLENDER PUTS FOUNDATION ON LIKE A DREAM!!!) I realized this foundation gives me a natural almost dewey finish
The lasting power is pretty decent when I set with a light dusting of my elf hd powder. I can usually go for about 10 hours before it really starts to wear down.
When I want an airbrush finish I do apply a very thin thin layer of the maybelline liquid mousse on top of this foundation and my skin looks completely flawless. But with the foundation on by itself it gives me a natural look which I love as well. Its not overly drying and the consistency isn't thick and paint like, like colorstay can be. Its a little runny but somewhat thick at the same time...weird right? but it doesn't feel heavy on the skin
It blends out pretty well even when I used just my fingers..my elf studio brush and of course my beauty blender :) it does dry a little bit fast but not like colorstay that if you dont work insanely fast you might as well restart again.
Overall a good buy and will probably throw out all my colorstay and rimmel foundations

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using the LM Tinted moisturizer for awhile now & decided I wanted something w/ fuller coverage that would last a long time, so after seeing a review for this I thought the claims were too good to be true, but decided to purchase it anyway. I have to say I am PLEASANTLY SURPRISED! My skin is sooo oily that it's hard to wear foundation 'cause it always cakes, but this one doesn't! It keeps the oil off for a few hours before I have to blot again (which is a long time for my skin). I also have a fair/medium skin tone w/ VERY yellow undertones, so I got the shade "Classic Beige" 'cause after seeing swatches it looked like a good match. It was darker than my LMTM in "Nude", but it was the closest match in my opinion. The only con is that I just wish there were more shades to pick from. The options they have currently don't seem suitable for many people. Some are very pink, one was orange-ish & the shades are pretty dark. "Classic Beige" is still what I'm using even though it's a bit darker than my skin, but I know in the summer it would be perfect! Plus, the finish is so wonderful I really don't care lol. APPLICATION: Sadly there is no pump so it can get messy, but to apply I pour some out on a flat surface (a little goes a long way), then I either dip my ELF flat powder brush or my MAC foundation brush into the product & blend evenly throughout my face. Then afterwards I apply my Neutrogena Translucent powder or my ELF HD powder to set everything. Or for even more coverage, the Dream Matte Powder works really well too.

on 12/1/2011 7:43:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I canít believe the search for the perfect foundation has finally ended: this is *the* one! And I donít even like most Maybelline products, lol. The somewhat peachy nude (European) color (021 Nude) is perfect for my light cool toned combo skin, it blends right in. I love that they didnít add any fragrance to it, and the texture is amazing: slightly matte but very natural, never cakey or too powdery. I hate the fake look and the heavy/sticky feeling so many foundations leave behind. With Superstay 24h I love how I canít even feel that Iím wearing anything on my face and still get that full coverage I need so bad. I have been using it for four months now, and Iím still truly amazed by that, lol.

It doesnít settle into my fine lines, doesnít cling to my dry patches, and itís the only product with sunscreen that hasnít broken me out yet (the European version contains SPF 19). Products containing sunscreen tend to make me very oily as well, which doesnít happen either. Itís so matte that I donít even use powder anymore. On extremely hot days I do use some corn starch on my T-zone though, which BTW works way better for me than any face powder Iíve ever used, yay!

I use Superstay 24h with the ELF Powder Brush (the dense flattop one). It's quick and gives me a much better result than I get from sponges, regular foundation brushes or my fingers. The ELF brush gives an amazing flawless finish, and I have *far* from perfect skin! Lots of blemishes, acne scarrring, redness, broken capillaries, dry patches, hyper pigmentation: you name it I have it. And itís all almost fully erased by *one* pump of Superstay foundation, hehe. On a very bad skin day I might use a drop more, but usually one pump is enough to cover my face, the upper part of my neck, my forehead and the area under my chin. I love that it comes in a pump in Europe. I canít believe this is still sold in the unhygienic, unconvenient wide neck bottle in the US. Please do something about it, Maybelline!

Ok, here comes my application routine: I start by applying one pump on top of my hand, dip the brush lightly into it and stipple it on one half of my face. I go back and blend by using quick circular motions. Then I repeat both steps for the other half of my face. I then go over the spots that need more coverage once more. If by then thereís still a scar or blemish visible, I go over it again and it will be practically erased. *Without* looking cakey.

Ever since Iíve been using it with the ELF Powder Brush, I find that I donít need concealer anymore, other than the under eye area. My Maybelline SuperStay 24h Concealer in Light has been neglected in my make up drawer. I do still use my Garnier Anti-dark circles roll-on in Light, just to brighten the area a bit more, but itís no longer a necessity.

Superstay 24h foundation can be applied with light coverage if you mix it with your moisturizer. Undiluted and applied sparingly youíll get medium coverage, and one pump or more gives you full coverage. I like it much better than Vichy Dermablend foundation, because I achieve even better results (invisible non cakey full coverage), and itís much easier to work with (not so hard to blend and easier to remove). It does transfer more than Dermablend though. But I have found that even on hot days Superstay 24h stays put all day on my combo skin. As long as I donít touch my face too much, of course. It holds up very well at the gym too and never oxidized on me. Most foundations Iíve tried melted right off my T-zone during a regular work day, let alone under sweaty conditions.

Does it last 24 hours? I have no idea, lol. The days I went out till the crack of dawn are long gone. It gets me through a 16 hour work day perfectly fine though, and thatís plenty for me. It comes off pretty easily with towelettes for waterproof make up. I then wash my face twice with mild soap, just to be on the safe side, and clean it is.

All in all I cannot find a serious con, other than the fact that the pump doesnít reach the bottom of the bottle, which is pretty wasteful. I hope Maybelline will work on that. Especially since a 30 ml (1 oz) bottle costs Ä 14 overhere ($19).

In short: this really is that miracle product I was looking for! The only natural looking full coverage foundation I have ever found! Thank you, Maybelline, and please donít *ever* discontinue this!

on 11/30/2011 6:09:00 AM

I'll just mention these 3 things that made me pleasantly surprised:
- it DOES look good on photos
- it makes my oily T-zone MATTE and the rest of my face is DEWY (I dont know how this is possible but it really works for me)
- it DOES stay long (and yes, it takes long to remove it too)

on 11/25/2011 5:43:00 AM

My quest to find the perfect shade and formula is over. I'm naturally pale and slightly pink but over the years I've darkened a bit under the Australian sun, so my skin varies from being pale/blush/tanned-orange. Thank god, Classic Ivory is pale with an orange and slightly peach undertone that matches my skin absolutely perfectly. I've tried countless foundations and even though each brand offers plenty of shades for lighter/medium hues I was yet to find the perfect shade till now. On top of this the formula itself is perfect in every sense; creamy, blendable, buildable coverage and matte enough for my oily skin without being too powdery like Chanel Perfection Lumiere. If your lucky enough to match one of the shades you will have gained yourself the perfect, affordable and flattering foundation. Excuse my salesman-like gushing.

on 11/17/2011 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i love this foundation. I have re-perchased this a couple of times now. I use it everyday. I'm in the shade 'nude' and I love the 'yellow' colour of it. I fake tan so it matches really good. It lasts all day and doesn't make my oily skin oily. Love it

on 11/13/2011 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I absoluetly love this foundation! Its amazing. I've been using this stuff for a couple months now and I am in love. I like how it doesn't leave my skin oily (in my T-zone, nose and chin area) it gives me full coverage, even when wearing a little bit.
The only things I don't like about this product is how much it is..its kindof expensive and I wish it came in a pump..I have to pour it on the top of my hand..sometimes a lot comes out and its too much. But I'm getting used to that now. Those are my two complaints about this product. But I will definetly be buying it again! :)

on 11/13/2011 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I think this product is amazing, I was a die-hard Colorstay fan, but I couldn't really find my shade and it always wore off for me. I ended up picking this up and I just love it, I've been using it ever since. I still haven't found my perfect color, But i mix Superstay in nude with Fit me (darker shade), and it works PERFECTLY. Doesn't really wear off!!!

My advice:
Wear it with Moisturizer and Primer - It definitely makes a difference. (I use Ponds dry skin Cream and Hard Candy Primer (white/clear).
After you blend it with your foundation brush, run a clean kabuki brush over your skin to get the PERFECT streak free looking skin.
Use a bit of highlighter, A little bit goes a long way.
I use the Victoria's Secret Face Poweder to set it.
----------
Cons:
It does come off on clothes/napkins or whatever, but i definitely don't need to constantly apply it.