NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 5/22/2014 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've always been a fan of this foundation (1 oz., $45) because it has a beautiful finish and offers good coverage. Unfortunately, it never wore well on my oily skin. Now that I'm also dehydrated, I thought I would give this another try... not that it worked out very well!

The foundation comes in a glass bottle with a rubber cap, which I like. The only thing is that the product does not include a pump. I think that's pretty ridiculous at this price point, especially because their pump is an additional $6...

I'm NC20-25, yellow, (closer to NC20 right now, maybe NC23?) and Ceylan is a great match for me. It has a nice yellow undertone (on the cool side) and even though it comes after Fiji in NARS' lineup, I swear it is actually lighter.

The consistency is runny and allows the formula to blend in easily and beautifully. I find that I can get good coverage up to around medium. Full coverage might be possible but I feel like things would get pretty cakey. No emphasis of pores or dry patches.

On my skin, I find this formula lightly moisturizing and not drying at all.

Finish is beautiful -- smooth and flawless. I know this has been noted to death but Sheer Glow isn't really dewy. It's not matte either, but more of a satin finish.

So up to this point everything is fine.. but once I apply the foundation and go about my day, things start to go downhill. I get shiny in a couple of hours and greasy in a few more. To be fair, the foundation doesn't just disappear... but it does start looking greasy and as if it's sitting in a layer on top of my face, which is not how it starts out. I would say I have a pretty good routine so I do think this formula just doesn't work for my skin.

ETA 10/23/2014: I tried this out recently during colder weather.. and yikes. It separated (in the ugliest way!) around my nose and on my chin, though my cheeks looked fine. I haven't switched up my skincare routine yet but I guess I should because the foundation emphasized dry patches I didn't even know I had! Sad but I will try again later this week.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene, Glycol, Glycerine, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/vinal Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Dis-butydimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan, Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methylhdantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyenthanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polusilocone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa, Glycuosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocpherol, [+/- (may contain): CI 77891 (Titanium dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron oxides), CI 77491 (Iron oxides), CI 77499 (Iron oxides)].

on 5/18/2014 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Great coverage and lasting power of a good 10-12 hours on me, looks so good and natural as long as you apply it with a sponge or beauty blender. I get many compliments when I wear this foundation and it is very buildable, I set it with mac studio fix powder and fix plus and I occasionally have to blot and apply powder again if I am out and about in warm/hot weather. This foundation is great for everyday wear and special occasions, needless to say this has been a great purchase/investment for me :) *a pump is available for this but is sold separately

on 5/17/2014 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My skin type is fair, oily/combination which tends to be more oily in summer. I bought the shade 'Mont Blanc' which is a tiny bit light for me so I may try the next shade darker when I run out. I prefer to use this with a brush even though the lady at the counter said using your fingers was better for this. It goes on really smoothly, and gives a light even coverage with a slight glow to it. I don't notice any scent when I apply it (scented foundation/skincare is a pet hate of mine) and it lasts all day if I use a powder over it. I will definitely be buying this again because it feels like silk on the skin, you can barely even feel that you're wearing any foundation at all. It hasn't broken down or started looking patchy on me by the end of a working day like other foundations have in the past.
Yes ok, I have oily skin and it can make me look a bit shinier by the end of the day, but if you keep on top of it with a mattifying powder you're fine. I would prefer it to have a pump as standard but other than that I wouldn't change a thing.

I recommend this foundation so much out of every one I've ever used this had got to be my favourite!! It lasts all day and gives a nice glow! It has Good coverage and you don't need a lot! I never want to use any other foundation or even try any after using this you must try it! The only problem is they never have my colour (Ceylan) in stock!

on 5/13/2014 7:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This foundation is good for someone who wants medium coverage not sheer coverage. I prefer light coverage for my foundation such as giorgio armani or chanel vitalumiere. It last around 8 hours for me and quite flawless for my normal combination skin. Do not expect any glowiness from this foundation because on me it appears like satin finish rather than glowy finish. I am NC 15-20 and i use deauville for this foundation. It is perfect for someone who has yellow undertone. It also quite expensive since you also have to buy the pump separately.

on 5/7/2014 9:56:00 PM

I love this foundation! It just seems to work really well with my combo/dry skin. PRO's: smooth, so easy to blend, flawless medium but build able coverage, gorgeous RADIANT finish... CON's: price, no pump ):

on 5/7/2014 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I recieved this as a gift so I can't comment on the price. I'm a very yellow NC25 and matched the shade Fiji perfectly. (Thank you for making yellow shades, Nars!) I like the sturdy, short glass bottle, but I wish this product came with a pump so I could dispense it without tipping it over on my hand.

The formula is quite liquidy and thin, but it provided great medium coverage. I apply this foundation using a flat-topped brush to buff it into my skin or a damp Beautyblender to stipple it on. Since it's so thin, you can easily layer it to give more coverage without it becoming cakey.

The finish is dewy and natural, although more demi-matte after I set it with powder. The staying power on my oily skin was surprisingly good, somewhere around 10 hours before noticeable fading. There was some oiliness that showed up around my T zone after a few hours, but this is normal for most foundations on me and I just added some powder to fight it off. I did like how natural this foundation looked since it wasn't deathly matte and still provided good coverage without empahsizing flakes. However, I think the slight dewiness drew attention to my large pores and bumpy skin.

Overall, I think this is a great foundation. It's not the best thing since sliced bread and it may be an issue for people with very uneven skin, but it looks beautiful in person and also in photographs.

on 5/7/2014 4:36:00 AM

It left me with patchier skin than before I put it on.light coverage...

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I just bought this after years of seeing YT'ers rave about it. It's quite nice, I feel it leaves my skin looking youthful/baby faced. It certainly leaves skin radiant. However it doesn't last that well, and as one might expect from the name, it's not great coverage. Not sure I will buy again. I'm Deauville in colour, which was the perfect match for me. I had switched from Garnier BB cream Light, which had become too dark for me.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

My friend recommended this foundation to me. I was using Clinique at the time and I was having problems with it because the foundation had a reddish undertone. In fact, I had that problem with most foundations (department store and drug store). My friend told me that she had the same problem and that NARS had several foundations with yellow undertones. So I decided to give it a try and it was the best decision I've ever made!

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation blends in so well with my skin color. You literally cannot tell that I'm wearing makeup. It lasts all day and I really mean it (I wear makeup for 8+ hours). It really helps cover up my acne scars too. My only complaint is that the bottle doesn't come with a pump, you have to buy that separately.

Tips:
Try to buy the foundation in store and not online so you can make sure it's the right shade
Always apply moisturizer before applying the foundation
To get a flawless matte look, apply NARS translucent powder over the foundation with a powder brush

Video Reviews & Tutorials