November 24, 2014 | 1606 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2014 10:01:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

I fell for the hype and bought this foundation (in Gobi) after reading the reviews.

Gobi is probably the best match I have found for my NC15 skin with neutral to warm undertones. I tried Siberia, but this was too pale, Mont Blanc was too pink and oxidized badly, but Gobi was just perfect.

This foundation glides on and provides medium to light coverage (but I do wear this over sunscreen which may be affecting the coverage somewhat.) However, I found that this transfers easily and I do have to set this with a lot of powder in order to prevent this from vanishing. I am used to long-wearing foundation and this just isn't the right foundation for me unfortunately.

I love the initial finish, satiny, soft focus, looks like skin rather than makeup, but then it fades unless I constantly reapply powder. If I sweat (and living in Florida means that I sweat after just being outside for a minute or two) then this vanishes entirely leaving me a greasy looking mess. Don't get me wrong - I adore this foundation but it isn't practical for me to wear on a daily basis. Even touching my face absentmindedly or trying to remove a fallen eyelash from my cheek for example leaves a smudge in my makeup. I need heavy duty, lasts-all-day foundation and this is not the one for me.

Wouldn't buy again but would recommend it to everyone who doesn't live in a humid environment, or who doesn't have the need for bulletproof foundation.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2014 2:20:00 PM More reviews by samanthaxmariee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have combination skin that has its extremes - my nose and forehead get oily throughout the day, but my chin is very dry and flaky. I've been looking for a new foundation considering I have yet to find a HG, and I heard so many good things about this one that I figured I'd give it a shot. Ultimately I've ended up with mixed feelings about this product.

The very first day I tried this, I fell in love. The coverage is relatively full, it goes on smooth and is easy to blend, and it matches my skin tone nearly perfectly (I wear Deauville). It wore all day with practically no fading or streaking and covered up all of my imperfections (redness, blemishes, etc) while maintaining a healthy glow. However, after multiple uses, I began to like this product less and less. After about 3 hours I noticed it stuck to my dry patches and accentuated the flaky skin, making it look cakey and, honestly, kind of gross. My nose and forehead started to look oily after about 6 hours of wear. The only reason I continue to wear this on a semi-regular basis is that 1) I spent so much money on it and 2) it gives such great coverage on "bad skin days." I find that I can somewhat salvage the dry areas by spritzing my face with MAC Fix+, but even that isn't a complete fix.

I would recommend this product to someone who has normal to oily skin. It doesn't work for dry skin and it wouldn't work for extremely oily skin either. I was pretty underwhelmed with this, but I will continue to wear it until it runs out. I wouldn't repurchase - rather, I would continue my search to find the perfect foundation to balance my oily and dry areas.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2014 10:08:00 AM More reviews by yummymummy2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

If you can find the right shade this is a good-ish foundation.
I have Gobi but it's slightly too pale and slightly too yellow. Maybe Deauville would be better?

It is not glowy- in fact it is semi matte. It does give me a good air-brushed finish which looks natural.

The upside is that it feels light on your skin and with 2 applications the coverage is good. It does give a lovely smooth natural finish. Does it last? Well, so-so. With 2 layers yes, with 1, about 3 hours for me and I have normal, line-free skin.

Would I buy again? Not sure ( wish there was a 'not sure' choice above!)
If I could get the shade spot-on then yes, I think so. It has more coverage than B Brown skin foundation which I am also using.

If you can find a good colour match then I'd recommend this as a semi-matte, medium-full coverage foundation, and the no-perfume is a bonus.

I don't get the concern about no pump. Just pour the bottle carefully into your palm!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by zhaneord

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I literally cannot praise this product highly enough! I've never used a foundation like it, the coverage is amazing but it's not heavy and your skin just looks fresh rather than cakey. I'm of mixed heritage so it's soooo hard finding something with a yellow undertone so Tahoe was just perfect for me!! I just love love love love it anyone with a dull greyish complexion i recommend this to you

Pros - Practically everything

Cons - Annoying packaging no pump :(?
And quite expensive (but worth it)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2014 11:57:00 PM More reviews by glitzerland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this foundation a while ago upon the recommendation of one of my coworkers who has absolutely flawless skin and waited until I had used up the entire bottle to decide how I felt about it.

I have extremely dry, flaky skin with a few minor, occasional breakouts and lingering hyper-pigmentation. My skin tone is fair-medium with yellow undertones (ranges between NC 25-30), and I got two shades to sample, Sante Fe and Punjab. Neither was bad, but ultimately I went with Punjab because it had more golden undertones while the Sante Fe was more peachy.

My first impression of this foundation was great - I loved it. However, after a few more wears, I began to notice its flaws. First, the name is misleading - this foundation isn't sheer; it's medium coverage which you can easily build up. Second, the foundation isn't what I'd call 'glowy' because it's got more of a semi-matte finish, and I generally prefer something a little more natural. Third, this foundation was really not good to my skin on its drier days - it emphasizes dry patches and clings to them and generally just looks cakey and not-good. In addition, while I couldn't seem to figure out if this foundation specifically caused breakouts (since I didn't notice any), I do feel like it irritated my skin with extended use and made the condition of my skin worse somehow. Finally, the lasting power on this foundation wasn't great, and by the end of an 8-hour workday it looked darker, oily, and faded.

With that being said, I did give it 3 out of 5 stars and finish the bottle, so it did have its positives. The color match was great - Punjab had the perfect amount of yellow and golden undertones. The foundation also provided good coverage, which was easily build-able. On the days that my skin wasn't dry and flaking, it really looked flawless and naturally perfect. It also photographed exceptionally well.

Overall, while this didn't end up being my HG foundation, it is a decent product. I wouldn't repurchase because I don't feel this is best suited for my skin-type, even though I know it claims to be glowy and sheer. I just think this foundation is aimed at the wrong audience, and personally I feel like it would work better on normal to oily skin types (set with a powder). On my dry, sensitive skin, it often ended up looking cakey.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2014 11:50:00 PM More reviews by iluvrockie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love NARS sheer glow. Was introduced to it when I got my free makeup session at Sephora. Coverage for me is build-able to full coverage. A little product goes a long way. It def gives your skin a "glow". I've also tried the matte version to this - hated It and came back to sheer glow. I wish the bottle came with a pump so it doesn't feel like I'm wasting product when I try to take some out.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2014 8:02:00 AM More reviews by sarajean23

I love this foundation. The application is beautiful. It's smooth and looks like there is nothing on my skin whilst covering up imperfections. Its a buildable foundation and lasts quite a while . If you want something that feels light but covers well this is great. Can be used for day and night and looks flawless in pictures. However, it is expensive ($68) although definitely give it a go.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2013 11:42:00 PM More reviews by kelsielily

I have combination (oily with a lot of sensitivity and a tendency to break out if I have a reaction) skin. I'm pretty fair with neutral/yellow undertones (the only pink in my skin is my blushing cheeks). I usually have a difficult time with foundation because anything that is fair is too pink or orange on me; which is why I stopped using MAC's foundations. I picked this up because I was interested in their tinted moisturizer but wanted something with a better coverage for winter. I LOVE this foundation. I bought light 3 or Gobi which is perfect for my skin. It's light with enough yellow to match my skin. No sign of pink undertones in this foundation. I love the coverage, very build able.

I HATE that everyone keeps going on and on about the pump. There isn't one. Get over it lol. The foundation is good enough it doesn't need a pump and if you take the three extra seconds to carefully pour this you'll be fine.

I find it does make my face pretty dewy but that's probably because of my oily skin. I use a setting powder with it and the staying power is amazing.

My new HG foundation <3

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2013 4:23:00 PM More reviews by ariel2229

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my first time using a full sized nars foundation. I choose to go for sheer glow because it's winter and even if though have combo/oily I sampled sheer matte and it is a kinda powder finish to it that I prefer in the summer. Plus for some odd reason I get random dry patches here and their even with oily skin? Anyways I'm currently the color Tahoe it is really yellow based which is perfect. But just a heads up the majority of the colors run yellow. If I did use Mac (which I usually don't because it leans way too orange on me) I would roughly be a NC45. I honestly could have went up to Cadiz because they are so close in color and Tahoe seems to be the slightest (And I mean extremely slightly )bit light on me. It's nothing a bit if bronzer won't fix. I'm extremely happy that nars caters to more yellow toned w.o.c I find many brands neglect the thought of yellow undertones and jump directly to red and orange. As far as coverage goes this is anything but sheer. I have so far only applied with my beauty blender and even with the thinnest layer I get medium coverage almost full. My hyperpigmentation is covered almost completely with this foundation alone that I haven't had to use Concealer. The finish is slightly misleading to. You're not going to get a dewy finish so if your looking for that use a dewy primer or dewy setting spray. On me it dries down to a Demi matte almost plain matte finish (if that makes makes any since). I havent had any problems getting extra oily I do however set my t zone for longer lasting time before touch ups.
I did take a Lippie off due to a lack of a pump. It can be wastefull and messy. Other than that I love this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 12:02:00 PM More reviews by KatKoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Regarding my skin: I am extremely pale and have pretty dry skin. I also have mild rosacea on my cheeks, mostly. I have this in Siberia.

PACKAGE: Meh... This is fine, but I think it should come with a pump because it is unsanitary. I like the matte black NARS look.

APPLICATION: A lot of people put this on with their fingers. When I do that, this looks way to heavy. I apply with a brush. I put the tiniest amount on possible. The way that you apply this makeup will have a lot to do with the coverage.

COVERAGE: I think this foundation is a great one, in that it can be sheer to pretty heavy coverage. I like to use it in the sheer way, personally. I think when this is applied as a heavy coverage you have to have a very exact color match or it looks very foundationy.

STAYING POWER: Because I have dry skin, this stays pretty well all day. If I touch my face it will transfer, but that is because I don't use a primer. If you use a primer, you probably won't have to worry about that as much.

SPF - This, as far as I know, has no SPF. For some this is problematic, but I am sensitive to most chemical and physical sunscreens so I am grateful for this because I can use a separate sunscreen that works with my skin.

NOTES FOR PALE SKIN/ROSACEA: Over the years I have tried hundreds of light colored foundations. This one truly is light, but it is very yellow. I am yellow under-toned, but it is too yellow for most pale skinned people I have seen. This is great for me because I have rosacea and it really helps to neutralize that redness. However, it is not light enough so I have to mix it with another foundation. I put a powder foundation over it from Meow Cosmetics to make up the difference in shade.

OVERALL: I do not think this foundation is perfect by any means, there is no "Glow" in the "Sheer Glow" as far I can tell. And you have to be very careful with application or you will look like a mask face. But if like me you have tried and failed to find a foundation routine for pale sensitive skin, definitely try this one!