August 30, 2014 | 1573 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2013 12:53:00 PM More reviews by missjc75

I love this foundation. I have medium fair skin and the Sante Fe shade suits me perfectly. I have combination skin and this dis not clog my pores. Medium velvety coverage and the colour stays true all day. Definitely would re-purchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by moonstar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm getting married next year so my hunt for a wedding foundation has officially begun. My skin is a hybrid of the following: dehydrated, combination, at times acne-prone and starting to develop fine lines (in particular, around the eye/forehead area.) I'm susceptible to oily breakthrough in the middle of the day, but also to flaky skin. So needless to say, finding a foundation has been quite the challenge lately. I've been relegated to BB creams as a result, however I'm very aware that they often don't photograph well.

In doing my research on these boards and elsewhere, I had consistently seen this foundation as one that was recommended by all, especially in the category of SPF-free foundations. (A category that's increasingly difficult to come by). This foundation often is touted as natural-looking, but also buildable. I live basically in the middle of nowhere, but have occasional access to many brands when I travel Stateside so I'm open to purchasing pretty much anything.

Being my impatient self, I couldn't wait until my next trip to the U.S. so I decided to order a sample online. I had to guess as to what shade to purchase (I'm fair, often the first or second lightest in any range). I opted for 'Deauville', which pulled a bit yellow on my skin, but blended in nicely. I liked the light feel of this foundation and how much it covered without suffocating my skin, but this is where the appreciation ended.

Pretty much immediately, I noticed that this foundation has the tendency to cling to dry patches. I decided that I'd skip the powder step because of this, (also desiring to see how it truly wears without powder. The ultimate test).

As the day wore on, I would inspect myself in my work bathroom lighting (hideous, fluorescent lighting. I always figure if I can look half decent in that lighting, I'm golden). This foundation had no staying power in my t-zone. As for the rest of my face, it stayed on, but pooled in every pore. I thought I might have just caught myself on a day where I was particularly dehydrated so I tried it on another day with the exact same results.

So glad I didn't blind buy (I'm prone to this very reckless but exciting habit). Not sure how anyone with dry skin can make this one work. I will sadly have to add myself to the very small list of people for whom this was an epic fail. Hoping to find something perfect for that special day. Onto the next!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2013 2:16:00 PM More reviews by mimiluau

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really excited to get this foundation after reading so much about it for so long. I had a backlog of foundations to try out and get through so it took a while to get to the point of getting this one. I'm an NC50 and I kind of let myself be convinced by make up forums online that my appropriate match was New Guinea rather than Macao as seemed likely from the NARS site. The New Guinea, in all fairness, is not a terrible match. It's slightly brown/red and too little yellow but it's alright.

I'm of two-minds about commenting about the how this foundation appears on my skin because I have very acne-prone skin so I try to avoid touching my face and therefore applied this with a brush rather than the recommended hands (besides I've never mastered the whole rubbing foundation into my face with my hands thing). This comes without a pump so the first thing I did was bootleg the pump from a MUFE HD foundation in the wrong color and cut it down to fit the NARS SG bottle. As you've probably read in other reviews, having a pump on this foundation means the cover will no longer fit and you can't travel with this. I travel A LOT so this is no bueno for me.

Okay so based on my not-NARS approved application of this foundation, I have to say I was incredibly underwhelmed by this. It didn't last all day. There was NO glow (possibly because this was in the wrong undertone) and I felt it emphasized my dry patches and stray facial fuzz. I truly intended to retry this foundation applying with my hands as recommended but that has been put on hold as this broke me out in the WORST way. Wayyyy worse than my Lancome Teint Idole 24h cystic acne disaster of 2012. I used this over a month ago and I'm still dealing with the acne fall out. I've figured out that I must be terribly allergic to something in this as I've had to wash every single make up implement I own (even ones I've barely used) as it seems the foundation brush I applied this with, contaminated the rest.

I'm too scared to even try this again to find out if, this is beautiful when applied with hands. The packaging is also a little questionable. I kind of understand where they're coming from environmentally and intentionally with not including a pump but this is a runny foundation and it seems kind of unhygienic and messy not to include one.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2013 5:17:00 AM More reviews by taniaex0x

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

After hearing amazing reviews, I was a little disappointed with this foundation.
It's probably more of a medium coverage. A big down side was that it does not come with a pump, a pump has to be bought separately which is fine but once you have the pump on, the lid doesn't fit!
The consistency is quite runny. My skin is combination and I thought this product was average for the price I paid.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by k33pc4lm

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

GOD.BLESS.NARS

this is my HG foundation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have dry skin that is acne prone with scarring and my struggle is always to get a foundation that doesnt look cakey, cover redness/discoloration while preserving a natural looking appearance and ive found it in sheer glow.

i wear sheer glow in the shade cadiz (in MUFE HD my shade is 173 Amber) and it is a perfect match for me. in the summer, i just add a little extra bronzer and it matches my darker skin tones. SG is a medium-full coverage foundation that is blendable, light and natural. i apply one even layer to my skin and then stipple a tiny bit more over my problem spots and set with a light layer of translucent powder and im set for the day. ofc with any foundation, if you apply too much at one time you will look cakey. but SG gives me a flawless natural finish that i just cant believe.

i HATE the packaging though. after a while, the top of the bottle doesnt turn all the way so im always scared the bottle is securely shut. also, it is messy and difficult to control the amount of product because you have to pour it out and then pour back in the excess (no bueno because of bacteria). this foundation is runny so be careful when you pour it on the back of your hand! i know nars sells a pump for the sheer glow/sheer matte but seriously? why dont they just add a pump UGH!

other than that, i love nars. i love sheer glow. BUY THIS!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2013 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Mikeswife

I picked this up on the hunt for something that would provide a bit more coverage than a tinted moisturizer. After two uses, my only questions are: glow? Where?

Price: I got this as a sample on eBay. I know both Sephora and NARS offer free shipping / returns on their products, but always feel a bit guilty ordering something when my only intention is to try it out. This is especially true for foundations, particularly when I'm not sure of my color match (and therefore may need to order 2 or more bottles). I wish more companies offered foundation samples for purchase on their websites, as I live 80+ miles from a decent cosmetics counter. Anyway, I was able to determine that Gobi was a good color for me and spent $8 on an eBay sample vs $44 for a full bottle. The sample I got was probably enough for 5 days use. At this writing, I am not sure if NARS now includes a pump with this product; I know from reading other reviews here that it used to be an add-on.

Packaging: since I got a sample tube, this is sort-of irrelevant to me, but I will say that the full size product I saw in person is a nice glass bottle with decent heft.

Product: Sigh. I love NARS lip glosses. LOVE. I appreciate that their shade ranges are so vast and that their pricing, for an upscale brand, is not out of control. I don't know if it's something with my skin, but I don't love this stuff, just as I didn't love their Tinted Moisturizer that gets raves. For starters, although Gobi is a good match for my skin, it seems a hair too yellow, but Mont Blanc was way too pink. The foundation applies fairly nicely, but like the TM, I felt like it stuck to / emphasized the pores on some areas of my face, particularly around my nose and chin. I think this gives decent coverage, and is a good step up if you're looking for something slightly heavier than a tinted moisturizer. I like that it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a mask of product, which is an issue I've run into a lot when trying other foundations. However, I also don't feel like this product really gives me any sort of "glow"; I had better "luminous" results from MAC Face & Body. The lack of glow, coupled with the slightly off color and pore enhancement all point to this being a no-go. I'm glad I got this as a sample first before buying (and returning) a full bottle.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This foundation gave my face a cakey application. I don't like heavy makeup so I'm glad I didn't buy this. It was the perfect match I will admit that.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2013 9:11:00 PM More reviews by Amandabambii

So I won this foundation on eBay, in the colour I was matched to... Unfortunately I was matched in winter haha. I love this foundation so much that I am buying it in a darker shade so I can custom mix a perfect colour!

This foundation is awesome to say the least, I asked my boyfriend what he thought and he said it looked smooth and soft - keep in mind I don't have bumps or anything.

I love this foundation the only thing that sucks is buying a pump separately - they're always sold out here and it's $12 to buy one on eBay!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 3:18:00 PM More reviews by Vanessamucho

I never wear liquid foundation only because I can never find a colour to suit me.

Hearing about the hype for this foundation made me want to go and check it out. I was matched to Punjab and managed to wait & get it on ebay for a cheaper price.

Day 2 - Am loving this. The colour is def a winner for me (for winter) and love how this looks on my skin.

I just need to find the perfect brush to apply. My 147 just broke :(

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2013 12:18:00 PM More reviews by SammieH87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Having recently changed from MAC foundations I decided to give this a whirl as it had been raved about on so many beauty blogs. I was extremely disappointed to say the least. When applied it instantly clung to dry patches I didn't even know I had, and within a couple of hours had collected around my nose and chin. Applied over an oil-free primer and set with an excellent powder this foundation made my skin so greasy and practically slid off my nose, chin and cheeks after a few hours and I DO NOT even have oily skin. It also made my pores look awful. I swear my skin looks better bare than when wearing this. I am so disappointed, especially considering the price, and will not be purchasing any more NARS products for a very long time!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No