April 19, 2014 | 1652 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2005 9:41:00 AM More reviews by iammew

Much better than Bare Escentuals, but I think with both brands, it's about finding your right color. If it's too light, you look powdery so go dark enough that you look natural. Skin-etc.com has good sized samples (will last me almost a month) and it's worth it to try a few shades. My color is Satin, and I'm about a MAC NW25. I use a kabuki brush and dip it in the powder lightly. Push the brush into the lid a couple of times and tap it. On the Bare Escentual ads on tv, they show a lot of swirling and tapping, but don't overdo it. I think it looks better on my skin using just a small amount of powder and doing small sections of my face (divided into 3 or 4 sections). It doesn't take a lot of product to look natural and put-together. Expensive, but I've spent more money on makeup than I can believe, and it's worth it to have things that actually work that you look forward to using every day. I think now that I use MD Forte's Glycolic Lotion, my skin is also now a lot less flaky, which can look bad with any foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2005 1:36:00 PM More reviews by littlecargo

Broke me out crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2005 5:27:00 PM More reviews by muisfun

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a superior product to Bare Minerals. Jane Iredale's mineral foundation applies the same way as Bare Minerals but lacks the shine. Sometimes it can be a bit messy to apply, but I think this the case for all mineral foundations. If I am diligent about tapping off the excess product, I don't end up wasting any product on my vanity or shirt. I think this product give medium coverage and doesn't seem to look cakey. It also comes in a wide variety of colors with different undertones.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2005 8:47:00 AM More reviews by Susann_777

This review is for the JI Amazing Base in Warm Silk. Now that I know how to apply this foundation properly, using the JI Chisel brush & the right technique, I'm liking this mineral foundation more and more. It's the exact shade of my colouring; covers most of the redness on my face (ie. around the nose) & blends well.

I alternate between this and BE 1.2 Fairly Light; most likely will repurchase. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2005 11:02:00 PM More reviews by Alyssya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I suffer from PCOS, and as such my combination skin is much oilier than normal. Any type of liquid makeup slides off my face, no matter if I use a mattifier or blotting papers. At the end of the day, I would have a ring of foundation around the edges of my face.
At last, someone set me onto JI. I love it! It stays through everything, including the summer humidity of the South! It was recommended that I go with Warm Silk at first, but I thought it too yellow. I am now using Radiant. I am a pale cool, with brown hair and eyes, and the Radiant just blends in perfectly. I apply it with a flocked sponge, to get a more velvety coverage. I know I won't be using anything else.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2005 12:46:00 PM More reviews by hoochiemam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my first foray into the world of mineral foundations. I'm mid 40's, normal skin, medium olive with red patches and uneven skin tone. I've searched for the perfect foundation all of my life. That said, this is a good foundation. I'm hard to match color wise, as most foundations turn orange on me if the color is deep enough or make me look ashy as the color is too light. Nothing ever looked perfect. I've been using Diorskin and I'm happy with it, but its not the HG. I ordered several samples of the loose and pressed JI mineral foundation from Skin etc. I'm wearing golden glow in the loose version as skin etc didn't have golden glow sample sizes in the pressed. I was nervous as several MUA'ers have stated that the application technique is the key. I found the loose powder easy to apply. I moisturize, use my smashbox primer (love that stuff, its the best) and a little concealer then use a sephora bronzer brush to apply the loose minerals. Wow. This is great foundation with superb coverage. The color is perfect and the powder melts into my skin. I can't believe the coverage for something that feels like nothing on my skin. I've ordered the pressed in full size as I think it would travel better but will order the loose in full size at some point. My thanks to you all for your reviews of this product. I would never have tried this without your imput. I highly recommend and will review the pressed after I've worn it a few days.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2005 9:48:00 PM More reviews by vembrey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have finally found my HG foundation. I thought I had when I used LaPrairie but this actually puts my skin in better condition. I use the pressed powder in Warm Silk which is a perfect match. I took the advice of another reviewer and ordered samples in 3 colors from Skin-etc.com . The warm silk is perfect and the satin which is a shade darker is a perfect summer shade. Skin-etc. also discounts all Jane Iredale products substantially. It was helpful to check the dermstore.com website to see the colors as they show the actual product rather than a color chart.

I must say that I wasn't impressed with mineral cosmetics after trying Bare Escentials. That powder accentuated my already large pores and looked awful. I returned that and tryed this. After reading favorable reviews I ordered the Jane Iredale handi brush which puts the perfect amount of product on my skin. Used with Jane Iredale concealers my skin looks literally flawless and has stopped breaking out as much. I have found that a spritz of Jane Iredale Balance spray after applying the powder leaves my skin with a more dewey appearance.

I never thought that a pressed powder could ever provide as much coverage as this stuff does. I use the flocked sponge to apply it to places where more coverage is needed --particularly on my dark circles. This is really a miracle product!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2005 3:16:00 PM More reviews by merrymac

Oh my I wish I had found this stuff years ago!! I have been a loyal BE user for 5 years now because of my very oily skin. The unnatural metallic shine has always been a struggle, blotting papers, several touch -ups with Mineral Veil throughout the day BUT it still beat using liquid foundations. I stumbled across the reviews for JI here and ordered samples of both the loose & pressed powders from skin-etc.com.
I got lucky and hit my color first pass and I've gotta say this product surpasses all my expectations. As I said I am very oily in the T-zone. I used the matte pressed powder in that area before applying the loose powder with the sponge. The coverage is not as heavy as BE but that is a positive for me. Yes, the JI does seem to accentuate wrinkles and large pores BUT after the product ahs been on your skin long enough to "meld" with your oils I find those wrinkles & enlarged pores seen to "melt" away!
I'm a medium olive tone with plenty of acne scars, sun damage & those weird hormonal induced color change patches here and there. I also would add that I have been inside my home, my car, several stores and outside in the sun today and there does not seem to be any of the "orangeing" effect that I always got from BE.
I'm giving this a few more days before I order the full size jar just to be sure no adverse effects pop up after a few days use but for day one's review I say WOW, this stuff rocks!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2005 1:16:00 AM More reviews by irishgirl05

This is definitely my HG foundation.It wears so well, great coverage, dosen't cake and looks really natural.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2005 9:14:00 PM More reviews by emma1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

DO NOT BUY THIS STUFF!!! it gives NO coverage whatsoever! a complete waste of $50... dried my skin out-and i'm someone who has very oily skin. also made my skin itch since the powder dried it out...doesnt live up to jane iredale's claims about being great for sensitive/acne-prone skin. not worth the money at all.