September 22, 2014 | 956 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2005 2:29:00 PM More reviews by s70princess

Amazing Base Loose Minerals SPF 20 is just as the name implies -- truly an amazing base and one purchase I don't regret! Just a light dusting of it over concealer gives my skin a natural and glowing finish ... not a bit mask-like, plasticky or shiny. I love the fact that it is long-wearing, has an awesome selection of yellow-toned shades, and also contains SPF 20. This product works best on normal or dry (moisturized) skin ... really gives great coverage ... it doesn't work as well on oily skin (oil breaks through fast, finish won't last as long, but will still work OK). For people with dry, normal or combo skin that is towards the normal side (like me), this is one of the best mineral powder foundations out there. I am very happy with this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2005 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Niki2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love both the Amazing Base and Pressed Base. The coverage is like nothing else out there, they last ALL day long and feel weightless (no cakiness). I wear Warm Sienna in the Pressed all over my face (a great color for light-medium with yellow/golden undertones).

I absolutely love using the Loose Minerals (Warm Sienna) as an under-eye concealer. I use the Camouflage Brush to apply the loose minerals to any darkness around the eye area. Again, the coverage is excellent and the loose minerals have a hint of iridescence that brighten my whole face. They also won't crease under the eye, are light and last all day long. I can't praise this makeup enough.

F.Y.I. - The JI bases have no talc in them, therefore they won't absorb oil. So, if you have oily skin you would have to wear Absence.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/13/2005 4:33:00 PM More reviews by jlm6215

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just got JI Amazing Base samples in Warm Silk and Satin. The color match is fine, but man, do my pores look enormous! And while the finish is nice when I put it on, I'm incredibly shiny after a few hours! I kept reading reviews of JI being superior to BE, so I thought I would give it a try. No thank you. I've tried many other MMU, and nothing compares to BE. I will not purchase this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2005 11:47:00 AM More reviews by sfbubbly

I'm a C3 in MAC StudioFix, Sunny Beige in Laura Mercier Oil-Free. I ordered samples of the Amazing Base in Warm Silk, Amber, and Warm Sienna from Skin-Etc. Both Warm Silk and Warm Sienna are good matches for my skintone. Warm Silk is invisible, while Warm Sienna gives the effect of a subtle tan and gives a healthy/glowy look even under fluorescent office lighting (which tends to make me look green like Kermit the Frog). A note about shade selection: Those generic ovals you see everywhere are silly. BeautyBridge has a good descriptive guide to the JI colors, and DermStore also has good photographs of them. The three things I love about this foundation are that it doesn't require a separate sunscreen, it feels light on the skin, and it covers well but doesn't look like you're wearing makeup! Also, it doesn't highlight dry flakes nearly as much as StudioFix does. In fact, with some Olay Revitalizing Serum or Cetaphil lotion underneath, it looks just as good, if not better than, a sponge-applied layer of LM Oil-Free (gasp!). Five lippies for this surprisingly impressive powder!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2005 9:41:00 AM More reviews by iammew

Much better than Bare Escentuals, but I think with both brands, it's about finding your right color. If it's too light, you look powdery so go dark enough that you look natural. Skin-etc.com has good sized samples (will last me almost a month) and it's worth it to try a few shades. My color is Satin, and I'm about a MAC NW25. I use a kabuki brush and dip it in the powder lightly. Push the brush into the lid a couple of times and tap it. On the Bare Escentual ads on tv, they show a lot of swirling and tapping, but don't overdo it. I think it looks better on my skin using just a small amount of powder and doing small sections of my face (divided into 3 or 4 sections). It doesn't take a lot of product to look natural and put-together. Expensive, but I've spent more money on makeup than I can believe, and it's worth it to have things that actually work that you look forward to using every day. I think now that I use MD Forte's Glycolic Lotion, my skin is also now a lot less flaky, which can look bad with any foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2005 1:36:00 PM More reviews by littlecargo

Broke me out crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2005 5:27:00 PM More reviews by muisfun

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a superior product to Bare Minerals. Jane Iredale's mineral foundation applies the same way as Bare Minerals but lacks the shine. Sometimes it can be a bit messy to apply, but I think this the case for all mineral foundations. If I am diligent about tapping off the excess product, I don't end up wasting any product on my vanity or shirt. I think this product give medium coverage and doesn't seem to look cakey. It also comes in a wide variety of colors with different undertones.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2005 8:47:00 AM More reviews by Susann_777

This review is for the JI Amazing Base in Warm Silk. Now that I know how to apply this foundation properly, using the JI Chisel brush & the right technique, I'm liking this mineral foundation more and more. It's the exact shade of my colouring; covers most of the redness on my face (ie. around the nose) & blends well.

I alternate between this and BE 1.2 Fairly Light; most likely will repurchase. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2005 11:02:00 PM More reviews by Alyssya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I suffer from PCOS, and as such my combination skin is much oilier than normal. Any type of liquid makeup slides off my face, no matter if I use a mattifier or blotting papers. At the end of the day, I would have a ring of foundation around the edges of my face.
At last, someone set me onto JI. I love it! It stays through everything, including the summer humidity of the South! It was recommended that I go with Warm Silk at first, but I thought it too yellow. I am now using Radiant. I am a pale cool, with brown hair and eyes, and the Radiant just blends in perfectly. I apply it with a flocked sponge, to get a more velvety coverage. I know I won't be using anything else.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2005 12:46:00 PM More reviews by hoochiemam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my first foray into the world of mineral foundations. I'm mid 40's, normal skin, medium olive with red patches and uneven skin tone. I've searched for the perfect foundation all of my life. That said, this is a good foundation. I'm hard to match color wise, as most foundations turn orange on me if the color is deep enough or make me look ashy as the color is too light. Nothing ever looked perfect. I've been using Diorskin and I'm happy with it, but its not the HG. I ordered several samples of the loose and pressed JI mineral foundation from Skin etc. I'm wearing golden glow in the loose version as skin etc didn't have golden glow sample sizes in the pressed. I was nervous as several MUA'ers have stated that the application technique is the key. I found the loose powder easy to apply. I moisturize, use my smashbox primer (love that stuff, its the best) and a little concealer then use a sephora bronzer brush to apply the loose minerals. Wow. This is great foundation with superb coverage. The color is perfect and the powder melts into my skin. I can't believe the coverage for something that feels like nothing on my skin. I've ordered the pressed in full size as I think it would travel better but will order the loose in full size at some point. My thanks to you all for your reviews of this product. I would never have tried this without your imput. I highly recommend and will review the pressed after I've worn it a few days.