April 19, 2014 | 1691 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2012 3:45:00 PM More reviews by inkyblaine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

A few years ago before I knew about make up alley I mentioned to my mother in law that I liked Hope in a Jar, so every year I get stuck with a bottle of this stuff.Its a little greasy and a little smelly. I dont hate it, but would never get it myself. Honestly,I pretty much use it as my back up lotion, like weekends and before the gym.I feel like its a better product for a younger person. like if your 30 and up, there are sooo many better products out there. I would get this for a late teenage girl or early 20 something girl.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2012 12:36:00 PM More reviews by kikulicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

It was smelled like something really foul, and it also had this strange, yellowish cast to it. PLUS it made my skin burn before making my eyes water!

I've fair Asian skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by fallon4yoo

I really did not like this product. It did moisturizer my skin, but did not leave my skin feeling spectacularly smooth or anything. I honestly could not stand the smell, every time I'd put it on I'd have to breath through my mouth just to get past the horrid smell. Overall I would not recommend this product because there are way better products out there.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2012 9:17:00 PM More reviews by teamswitzerlandxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This moisturizer was a complete waste of money for me.
At first I didn't mind it; it did its job moisturizing my face and such, but now it makes my skin look disgusting!!
I don't really like the smell, but it's nothing too horrible. It's just that this product gave me all these little red and flesh-coloured bumps that are so frustrating and yucky-looking...
And the packaging sucks too. When my nails are long, and I try to get product out, it's almost impossible not to get it stuck under my nails because of the jar.
Overall, really disappointed. Definitely will not purchase this ever again!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2012 2:42:00 PM More reviews by Gwyneth50

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely loooove this moisturizer! I have sensitive skin that often suffers from irritations and redness, but this worked like a dream and soothes my skin over night, plus is a great base for my makeup in the morning. Am more than surprised by people's reaction with regard to its smell. Makes me wonder whether any of them have ever walked through an herb garden?! When synthetic smells in other products are raved as being "fresh" and "clean" smelling on this same platform, than I can only assume that they have lost their connection to nature long ago. Better not opt for a natural moisturizer then! For all those nature lovers out there, this is the real deal!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/26/2012 9:38:00 PM More reviews by adipose

I'm a bit surprised at all the negative reviews, but I suppose many people must be having adverse reactions.
To offer a contrasting experience, this product did NOT destroy my skin! \o/
It's actually a decent moisturizer, for me, but I also do not have sensitive skin nor am I acne-prone. I am not bothered by the smell either.
However, I will say this product is way too expensive for something that is only adequate. I say adequate because while it does its job fairly well, it has not done much for my skin otherwise; others have boasted more even skin tone and improved texture, but I haven't noticed anything.
I've been using this for about 2.5 months; before that, I used some Garnier refreshing gel-cream thing, which was also adequate (and in some areas, better than Philosophy) but less than, like, 1/6 of the price.
PROS:
-gives my skin a nice glow
CONS:
-not much in terms of oil control. Not that I expected much, but my cheaper Garnier product was pretty satisfactory in this regard, so I'll probably ditch Philosophy once I finish up this jar.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2012 2:40:00 AM More reviews by hazelnut87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I tried a small sample jar of this a few months back, and here were my initial thoughts:

1- It has a very unique texture. It's creamy, but light and airy... almost like a mousse. Then, when you put it on your face, it is almost like it turns into a watery consistency and immediately soaks in.

2- It did make my skin feel incredibly smooth and moisturized. It didn't feel greasy at all, and provided the perfect level of moisture.

3- My skin retained the moisture throughout the night until I washed my face the next morning. Big plus!

All that being said, it broke me out! =( Now I had been having problems with cystic/hormonal acne, but that was happening before I began using this. I'm talking about tiny little white heads that pop up. . . and they popped up all over! I stopped using this, and they quickly disappeared without leaving any scarring (thank God!). Oh, and there IS a funky smell. I did find though, that the smell didn't linger for longer than an hour. For me personally, an initial smell isn't enough to make me stop using a product. Acne is though, so unfortunately this is a no go for me!

I gave it an overall rating of 2 because the initial moisturizing benefits were awesome. I gave it a 2 for packaging quality because it is in a jar, and I think that for a moisturizer that just isn't sanitary. Bottle with a pump. . . it isn't that difficult! =)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 1:32:00 AM More reviews by aleedee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't believe all the negative reviews on this product! I love it so much. I've never noticed the smell everyone mentions, and my sense of smell is pretty good... It's also never broken me out. I've been using it for about a year and my skin has never looked better. I use it along with Purity and the When Hope is Not Enough serums. Just today a woman offered me a store credit card and then said, "Oh wait, how old are you? You have to be at least 18." I'm 26!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2012 12:47:00 AM More reviews by cmayes71

I love this moisturizer! I wish I tried it sooner. This feels great on my skin. It smells nice, makes my skin glow, moisturizes well. I don't get the negative reviews. This is a very good moisturizer. Try it for yourself. I have used many that are more expensive. This works for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2012 7:49:00 AM More reviews by ICantGoForThatNoCanDo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I received a sample of this from Sephora. The consistency is OK, but the smell was so repugnant -like sour mildew laundry- that I threw it away after one use.