Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 1/9/2013 5:56:00 PM

I love, love love this. I have searched high and low for the right moisturizer and this is now my HG. I usually HATE lotion and the way it makes me feel. This is not greasy or heavy.

Edit 8/2015

I don't know what I was thinking. This ended up being too heavy for me.

on 1/7/2013 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have very sensitive, acne-prone combination skin, and this is the ONLY adequately moisturizing day cream that I have EVER tried that does not break me out. Seriously. The only other facial lotion that works is Olay Beauty Fluid, but it's just not moisturizing enough, and I get dry, flaky patches on my face in the fall. I have tried Kiehls Ultra (dry skin rash & broke me out), Clinique Dramatically Different Gel (drying, broke me out), Mario Badescu Collagon Moisturizer (broke me out), Cetaphil Daily (broke me out), Neutrogena Calming (broke me out) etc. Just to name a few.

I hate the smell, but I hate pimples/rashes a lot more. This doesn't seem to be moisturizing enough around my mouth, though, so I've been using Yes to Carrots Repairing Night Cream there during the evening. I'll be trying the dry skin version after I run out of this jar, but I will repurchase forever. Hallellujah, Philosophy.

on 1/5/2013 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Wanted to love it after reading all the reviews about it. All I can say is that it sits in one thick, sticky, greasy layer and didn't do anything much for my skin even after finishing it all. Makes me think twice about this brand.

This to me is an average moisturizer and I get better hydration from oil of Olay seriously!! This also has an odor that reeks of wet dog. I've also heard people tell it smells like horse pee idk what that smells like but I've been told that. Everyone's skin is different so of course we are all going to react differently to skin care products!!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Haters gonna hate. This is part of why I have such a beef with charging extortionate prices for beauty products—not everything is going to work for everyone. To me, clearing twenty-five bucks for even a prestige moisturiser, thirty for a serum, while marketing them as universal miracle workers, is pure and simple company hubris, and nothing gets smacked down harder or faster than smug overconfidence, especially in the consumer world. That said, I have combination skin that actively resents the weather, leading to an expanding oily T-zone in the summer, and a bit of flaking on either side of my nose come winter, both of which need to be addressed. Hope in a Jar seems determined not to fail me as it has a lot of reviewers, though there were moments of WTF? during my initial trial: after ripping off the protective seal, I actually recoiled a little from the smell—to settle the debate, I caught the lavender on top, but I also caught the burnt-chemistry-set part underneath, neither of which hung around at full strength long beyond application—and when I put it on, it stung the hell out of my eyes. But the texture of this stuff beats any moisturiser I’ve used to date, at any price you can name: at a glance, you’d think it was thicker than commercial cake icing, but surprise, it’s…well…imagine a mousse, only less airy. Truly luxurious. I barely skim a finger over the product and come back with enough to treat my face and neck, so it (somewhat) justifies its cost by being economical. And unlike a lot of sticky, greasy creams that just sit on top of the skin, performing a Jedi mind trick that only feels like hydration, Hope in a Jar doesn’t take the lazy way out. In the morning, after I’ve rinsed with cool water, my face still feels satiny and supple, so I’d say it’s earning its keep. It’s even preventing the red, crusty nose I get as a side effect from having a cold (with a little help from C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve, but trust me, the latter couldn’t do it on its own). Several people have accused it of causing breakouts. This is not an issue with me, but then, the only thing that breaks me out is my menstrual cycle: if it’s the right time of month, a slab of Crisco won’t wrangle a zit out of my face, just as the most airtight acne regimen in the world won’t hold them off at the wrong time. All in all, I’d say that those who sample before purchasing (or not purchasing) have the right idea…but that’s my mantra for anything on the market.

on 12/28/2012 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I actually really like this moisturizer. I don't mind the smell one bit. It leaves my face very soft without feeling greasy and has not caused any breakouts. It's expensive though, and a jar seems a bit unsanitary, but hey, nothing is perfect.

on 12/26/2012 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It moisturizes well, as far as I can tell by one use. I used a sample and the texture is a lot like Purity cleanser. It goes on not too thick and seems to absorb, but the smell is beyond anything I can tolerate. Looking over the ingredients, it must be lavender oil. I normally like lavender, but in this it's clashing with a heavy smell that is like spf. Too chemical for me.

on 12/26/2012 10:05:00 AM

This moisturizes alright but smells HORRIBLE. And the smell lingers! Got a sample from Sephora and couldn't hate it more.

on 12/24/2012 2:58:00 AM

Tried it as a sample. Smells terrible, but did moisturize my skin relatively well during the winter.

on 12/23/2012 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

why oh why. I seen the reviews on sephora and just thought, wow this must be a great moisturizer! wrong. hated it, hated the smell, and the feel. It has a lemony-chemical like smell to it. It leaves my skin feeling greasy, i wish i would have tried a sample out first before buying the full sized product. Was so happy when i finished it, I did not want to waste it. couple of months later, i got a sample of it for gratis, and it brung up old memories. I hate the damn thing, and the smell. not to mention if i tear up it starts to sting my eye! uhh.. yeah that's weird. I'll stick to my Sephora Instant moisturizer thank you very much!