Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 12/11/2012 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I actually like the smell of this product. It grew on me and became slightly addicting. I no longer use this moisturizer. While it felt light and refreshing on my skin, I saw no benefits that prompted continual purchase of something so expensive. I'll stick to my Clinique DDMG.

on 12/11/2012 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

ick... what a yucky smelling moisturizer. I also don't like that it's in a jar, never have liked any moisturizer in a jar. Other than the smell, it's a pretty good moisturizer though. Little goes a long way, my face didn't become oily. But it's expensive and icky smelling.

Overpriced with basic ingredient deck. The marketing of Oprah propelled this product to the cult following they have today. Tried one of their serums also, nothing special sent it back.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love philosophy products and like everyone else have heard wonderful AMAZING reviews on this... So I bought a value size a couple years back and it lasted forever, BUT it took me forever to use it up because it smelled like I was rubbing plastic on my face :(... I have über strong sense of smell so I just thought it was me. i ended up giving my mom the barely touched jar which she seemed to enjoy... well I ended up giving in to another jar and omg the smell... I couldn't even deal with it this time. I thought maybe my first jar was off or a bad tub but no I'm right on because this second jar is reeking of the same stench... I have the full jar in our medicine cabinet and my husband asked for some moisturizer so I told him to get into it and he was complaining the rest of the day of how he smelled like plastic... Lol kind of funny...

on 12/1/2012 3:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I can't believe how dramatic people are about the smell! Clearly not everyone thinks its "rancid"'or it wouldn't be such a top seller. Personally I enjoy the smell of lavender and use other lavender scented products so I hope philosophy never changes the scent, it's one of the top reasons I repurchased it! Between the sort of whipped texture and lavender scent it feels like a spa product to me, doesn't break me out, and leaves my face feeling great. Only complaints are the price and package.

I absolutely LOVE this stuff!!!! It makes my skin sooooo soft and moisturized. I have normal skin that gets a bit dry and blotchy and red in the winter. I put this on at night and I wake up to a happy, healthy looking face! I don't know what smell you guys are talking about. The one with SPF has a strong smell, but I find this one to have none....

Oh well. Love this stuff!

on 11/29/2012 9:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I can't get past the smell. I put it on before I went to bed and couldn't fall asleep because the smell was terrible. I got up and scrubbed my face to get it off. Oh Hope in a Jar, what are they putting inside you?

on 11/21/2012 9:02:00 PM

Smells like an old lady's mothball closet. Breaks me out. Hate the 'tub' that causes me to have to stick my fingers down into it time and time again. Overpriced. Yuck. I hate that a friend talked me into buying this product. All I use it for now is to remove undereye makeup residue in the morning.

on 11/21/2012 8:45:00 PM

Hmmm...lots of really bad reviews! Let me start with my skin type, I'm sure that's key.

I have very dry and VERY sensitive skin. I get the occasional breakout, but nothing too bad as far as acne goes.

So far I'm really liking this moisturizer! It's very light and sinks right into my skin. It doesn't leave any greasy look or feeling that others are complaining about (possibly because my skin is very dry).

I put this on at night after I get out of the shower and have noticed a HUGE difference when I wake up in the morning. My skin texture is much better and it seems to be evening out my skin tone as well.

I like the smell when I first put it on...it has a lavender scent to it imo. Once I'm done rubbing it in, I do notice a strange sent for a few seconds, but it quickly disappears, so I have no major complaints.

All in all I really enjoy this moisturizer! I just started using the Purity cleanser...so far so good, but I'd like to give it a few weeks before posting a review.

on 11/18/2012 11:25:00 PM

Many people complain about the smell of this prodcut. I personally don't think it's that bad. It has some herbal or medicated scent but not overwhelming, and it goes away after a little while. I kind of like products that have a natural scent than ones that are masked with strong fragrance. So its scent doesn't bother me at all.

This moisturizer has the texture of a whim cream, very light and smooth. It's absorbed quickly by the skin. Not greasy and has the right amount of hydration for my combination/oily but dehydrated skin.

I just started using it and can't comment on its anti-aging result. But my feeling is that it's more like a luxury version of basic moisturizer. It moisturizes well, doesn't harm the skin, but don't expect it'll rescue you from all those fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots. I like it enough to want to continue using it, but I probably won't buy it again because of the high price ($39 for 1.7 oz).