July 24, 2014 | 1791 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2012 5:07:00 PM More reviews by JanetPlanet98

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Technically, I didn't buy it, I got samples of it from Sephora. Overall its just a standard moisturizer, nothing more, nothing less. It smells absolutely disgusting, and it makes my face a little bit more shiny then my other ones.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by whit0931

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A little bit goes a long way. I also get the greasy look after applying, but it immediately saturates the dry area below my eyes without clogging. I don't use it everyday as part of my routine; my small sample jar will last me a long time.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/25/2012 5:35:00 AM More reviews by Erythropolish

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Nice texture, weird smell. A tiny bit goes a long way. It burns the crap outta my eyes even though I stayed far away from them when applying. I had used this as a sample before and I bought this as a moisturizer to use at night as it leaves my skin feeling very moisturized, but kinda greasy. I don't remember the eye burning with the sample. It's almost maddening and it never goes away. Watery burning eyes when I went to sleep and again in the morning.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/17/2012 5:48:00 PM More reviews by oshinsr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Texture is nice. Smell is OK. Absorbs quickly. Non-oily. Moisturizes well.

BUT...no matter where I put it on my face my eyes sting.

No repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2012 12:48:00 PM More reviews by janemarieo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I know this product has been reviewed to death , but it is for a reason. I love this moisturizer. I love the texture the smell the fact that it is moisturizing but does not make me greasy. Make up goes on just fine with it and doesnt slough off. Only complain I have is this is not a travel friendly package the product always gets stuck to the top and I feel like it gets wasted. Also its super expensive for how much you get, but a little does go a long way. Overall I would buy again (already on my 2nd jar) because I think your face deserves some love (and hope)!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2012 4:04:00 AM More reviews by soulsucker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Finally i found a skincare to continue until its discontinued. the moisturizer is so light and little goes a long way. it doesnt clog pores at all. i use microdelivery exfoliating wash then followed by this. it's so simple & keep my skin great...this moisturizer is so nourishing. but i took off 1 lippie... it's so stinky! the smell is like burn rubber!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2012 12:03:00 AM More reviews by sushiflower7

This is the BEST moisturizer ever!!! I really can't emphasize that enough, you have to try it to believe it. First off it's got such a nice fluffy light-as-air texture and feels so incredibly smooth on your skin! My skin really benefits from this product because it's super dry and my skin just drinks this right up. It's a great pick me up; it feels so refreshing and has made an improvement in my skin and I can definitely tell. I'm so glad Philosophy invented this stuff because it literally leaves my skin soft as a baby's bottom. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2012 11:46:00 PM More reviews by Ivyxoxo

Well, I don't think it works for all skin types. I have combination skin and my T-zone is very oily in the afternoon. This moisturizer keeps my cheeks soft but it can't control oil on my forehead at all. right after 1-2 hours, i'll look like i'm wearing no makeups...so I will not purchase it again and i don't recommend it to people who have medium-oil skin type.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 6:08:00 PM More reviews by OvaryUp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

Last year I went on a hunt to find a moisturizer that wasn't as greasy as the EL DayWear I had been using, and that wouldn't clog my pores. I tried many different kinds, and even the ones for sensitive skin would clog my pores. Finally, my mom told me to try this. I've been using it for about six months and haven't looked back. It doesn't clog my pores and leaves my skin feeling hydrated. Sometimes when I apply it, I can feel my skin pulling it in and saying "THANK YOU!" Is it my HG? I don't know. I removed one lippie because the smell is kind of odd and I think it might be a tad greasy. But, I'm certainly not looking to replace this moisturizer any time soon!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2012 10:11:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

When I first tried this product, about 10-11 years ago, I liked the way it felt on my skin, but I was ambivalent when it came to repurchasing. I didn't like the smell of it, and, back then, I didn't use moisturizer very often; especially a cream. As of recently, I'm not living in balmy Southern California, but in the Scottsdale desert. These days I feel the need to use a moisturizer, at least on my neck, every day. Between the truly "dry" heat and the moisture-zapping indoor air conditioning here, even my relatively oily skin can feel dry.

Philosophy's corporate headquarters are in Phoenix, so Philosophy products are widely distributed and very popular in this area. After receiving numerous recommendations for Hope In A Jar, I decided to try it again. I must say, I've gained a whole new appreciation for the formulation of this product, and I love the souffle texture. I've tried a LOT of stuff over the past decade, but, truly, nothing else has felt like this moisturizer. It feels soothing, yet refreshing, like a spritz of spa water. It's light, fluffy, and smoothing.

It smells fresh and nice in the jar, but after several hours if I'm sweating or oily, it takes on the same "wet dog" aroma I'd noticed all those years ago. I think my skin oils don't mesh well with the fragrance ingredients. However, I'm at a point where I'm not feeling too picky about the occasionally weird scent. I just want something to give my skin moisture that won't cause cystic blemishes, milia, and stretched-out pores. For occasional moisture, in the past I've really liked Nivea Soft, but after using Hope In A Jar again, Nivea Soft feels like paste, in comparison. (And it has a stronger fragrance than HIAJ.)

I'm not sure how I feel about warnings over lavender oil as an ingredient in skin care products. I have no cosmetics-chemistry background, and I know little about product formulation. Cosmetics scientists and chemists tend to patent their products and sell them to huge corporations for oodles of money, rather than publish their effects in medical journals. "Recipes" stay secret because cosmetics chemists are not medical researchers. Cosmetics are tested "in vitro" for these reasons, and, of course, they're not going to be tested in the general population. The products that are developed from their reserach and formulations are for sale, so the more widely they are copied, the less they are worth. For years, a couple of skin care companies have been claiming that lavender is the worst thing for skin since sulfuric acid (I'm exaggerating), yet, more recently, there has been much hype about lavender's cytotoxity to cancer cells, and its antibacterial properties against types of acnes, and MRSA! These articles (http://skintypesolutions.com/index.php?option=com_article&view=article&id=86, http://roberttisserand.com/2011/08/lavender-oil-skin-savior-or-skin-irritant/) helped me understand the concerns a bit more, but I have yet to find studies that convinced me that a small amount of lavender oil, greatly diluted in a product used in small amounts on skin, is necessarily harmful. Personally, most sunscreens distress my skin way more than anything I've used with any amount of lavender. (However, research about photoaging, skin damage, etc. has caused me to understand that sunscreen plays a vital role in skin care.)

The texture of Hope In A Jar is marvelous, and now I see why this formula is acclaimed. I'm also very impressed with Philosophy's Take a Deep Breath, but, Take a Deep doesn't soften as well as HIAJ on my neck or around my eyes. The softness from HIAJ seems to "plump" the skin, so skin doesn't look or feel dry and tight. Also, HIAJ and Take A Deep are the ONLY moisturizers I've ever been able to wear comfortably beneath sunscreen and/or makeup. Other moisturizers are usually far too heavy for me to wear during the day, no matter how hot or dry it is outside, because I usually have oil breakthrough, even with primers and mattifiers.

I don't know what it is about HIAJ, but it doesn't have any "after-feel" like other moisturizers. When I smooth it onto my skin, it feels like water for a couple of seconds, then my skin just feel soft and comfortable. There's no stickiness, greasiness, or tack. Also, it doesn't cause additional products to roll or flake off of my skin. I am so glad I revisited this product. I love the results it gives me, and the price is surprisingly reasonable!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No