Estee Lauder Youth Dew

3.1

Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This stormy January morning, extra cold and hailing from a grey & sullen sky, Youth Dew revealed its true beauty to me. For a brief time, like a shaft of sunlight breaking through the clouds I was enfolded in a beautiful aromatic cloud of cool musk, rich deep spices with a hint of roses. The whole was warm, womanly, powerful and totally unforgettable. All this from the barest kiss of an application - a half 'spritz' upon each wrist and above the heart.

Alas, as the sun warmed the sky and the storm cleared, the moment passed. I was left once again wondering why this just didn't work for me even though I love all of the listed notes / ingredients. Sniffing the bottle I immediately think of EL Cinnabar but this is also reminiscent of Donna Karan Black Cashmere and is a sharper, deeper, less softly floral version of Opium EDT to my nose. Is probably quite similar to Opium EDP.

I think this shall have to be one of my deep winter scents, for when it is frightfully cold and grey, for me to get the full benefits of this truly classic and individual fragrance. Or I might layer it with one of my musk oils to soften the fragrance. For the real woman not afraid of her own strength, beauty and sexuality. I recommend! :c)
EDIT (24/07/2006): It seems chemistry will out! LOL! I steadily grew to enjoy the EDP and parfum on a regular basis but I bought the Bath Oil and now it is utter and complete TRUE LOVE! I hate being one of many but this truly is the only way to go with Youth Dew - rich, dark, opulent but with most of the Estee Lauder rough edges smoothed out. It is amazing, lasts forever (24hrs), with the most enthralling sillage. Totally 5 *****

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Youth Dew is the first real spicy oriental perfume.
It is the mother of Opium and cinnabar.
It smells like a liqueur,very spicy,strong,no compromission...
It is not very sweet and has a sharp and metallic note in the drydown.
Nevertheless,it is a little bit "too much" for me...
But if you are brave and love overpowering fragrances,you might enjoy it.

I agree with Shadow Witch. Youth Dew is definitely NOT for the faint of heart! If I wear it with a black nightie, my husband runs after me like I'm Catherine Zeta Jones!!! YOUTH DEW: A TOTAL EXPERIENCE!!!

After reading all the divisive, contrasting reviews on this scent i had to see for myself what it was like. What surprised me was the fact that this scent launched Estee Lauders beauty empire. Another thing that surprised me was how popular and well loved this perfume is. I think i feel like fruity florals are scents that women go crazy over. I guess i'm wrong!!!!! This is not your typical perfume. Like the juice itself, this is a very dark fragrance. Absolutely NOTHING like the fresh clean, fruity florals that are so popular today. Also, it does not smell "old lady". I associate Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds with elderly women but not Youth Dew. I can see Endora from Bewitched wearing Youth Dew and even Anton Levay the founder of the Church of Satan wearing it. I love how a previous reviewer said this smells like the catacombs. I think that is dead on. Imagine walking into a pitch black, dank basement with cobwebs all around. The basement is made of big, thick bricks made at the turn of the century. Puddles of water are on the floor and you can hear a steady drip of water from a corner of the basement. You hear the squeaks of rats in the distance and you keep getting tangled up in all the cobwebs that are all around you. You finally find your way out of the basement but you were intriged by one thing about your trip, the scent. That scent is Youth Dew.

With its dark juice and dense composition, the name Youth Dew seems a bit out of place - unless the dew drop smells of civet, and adorns a wild narcissus in the middle of winter. The opening of Youth Dew reminds me tightly knotted woolen yarn, soft, warm and inviting - yet you can’t find the end/beginning and start knitting yet!
As it settles on the skin, it starts opening up, one bit at a time. As the citrus wears off and the spices soften by woody undercurrent, bit by bit the floral heart starts to emerge until reaching a peak – where narcissus and ylang ylang dance to the indolic rhythm of the civet base – sexual to a degree that borders on the impolite, so you need to hold on with self-conviction and dignity. But even the luscious of flowers decompose and return to earth, this time made of muddy puddle of earthy patchouli and vetiver which gradually softens and mellows until finally reaching a delicate dry down phase that is vanillic and surprisingly reminiscent of Chanel no. 5.

This is the review for the pure parfum – a limited edition in a beautiful, frosted flacon with a delicate frosted flower stopper, filled with the almost black juice this leaves an unforgettable impression!
I find Youth Dew to be very suitable for winter, and can’t imagine wearing it in any other season and being able to keep my olfactory bulb intact. The indolic heart and the earthy base surprisingly reminds me of sticking my nose into a narcissus, inhaling the scent that smells so delicate from afar, and so deadly from nearby; inhaling it along with the some rare raindrops that clanged to the petals; All this after spending the whole afternoon jumping in puddles after the rain stopped…

Top notes: Citrus and Spices
Heart notes: Narcissus, Ylang Ylang, Cloves, Rose
Base notes: Civet, Patchouli, Vetiver, Vanilla

p.s. I am giving it only 3 lippies because I don't think it is as original as it is considered to be. Tabu by Dana preceeded it by 20 years; And a similar famous perfume - Opium (20 later) is superior to it in composition. I do appreciate it highly for its breakthrough in American perfumery and the impact it had on women. I am not sure I would buy it again, as there are other scents out there with a similar effect that I prefer.

p.s.s. The price for the pure parfum is outrageously cheap - only $78 CAD for the 1/4 oz in a most beautiful bottle!

i love Youth Dew. Its my favorite Lauder scent. it lasts forever i can tell you that. i could smell it on anything i touched too. i like the strength of it. my mom says its for older women but i've owned it and worn itsince i was 17. so it lasts and is timeless on the right person.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Smells...like...death.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like, but don't love, Youth Dew. Spicy, heavy scents generally agree with my skin, and to be honest within a few hours of wear even Youth Dew mellows to a powdery incense rather than remaining particularly powerful. But it's definitely a scent only for those with the right chemistry and presence to carry it off.

NOTE: The type of bottle does affect the scent. The aqua-covered hourglass atomizers contain a much gentler, more evocative and I feel more successful version of Youth Dew. I have heard older ladies claim that the perfume in the aqua plastic-wrapped bottles smells more like the "real" Youth Dew from days of yore. I don't know why it is, but the clear ribbed glass bottle with the gold bow has a much harsher, less 'blended' initial feel on the skin. Unfortunately, I haven't found it sold in the aqua bottles for years. continued >>

Boy,this parfum version is some strong stuff!About 5-7 minutes into it I smelled rose. I thought this can't be right! I love rose but now I started to wonder if there was something wrong with me as I seem to detect rose in almost everything. Well, I looked up the composition notes and rose was listed as a note so I'm not imagining things. The next remainder of the notes are spicy, a little woodsy and a tad sweet. If you enjoy Opium or Cinnabar I would think this would also be enjoyable.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Feeling lonesome? Unloved? Nobody to talk to? Wear Youth Dew! Feel neglected? Overlooked? Not taken seriously? Wear Youth Dew! It precedes you wherever you go, brings up the rear and flanks you on both sides. Instant entourage! Beautiful, dark, complex, and very, very strong, a genuine power scent. I'm not sure I can take this much entourage regularly, but every now and then this is perfect!

Popular Fragrances