Estee Lauder Youth Dew

3.1

on 11/3/2005 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Feeling lonesome? Unloved? Nobody to talk to? Wear Youth Dew! Feel neglected? Overlooked? Not taken seriously? Wear Youth Dew! It precedes you wherever you go, brings up the rear and flanks you on both sides. Instant entourage! Beautiful, dark, complex, and very, very strong, a genuine power scent. I'm not sure I can take this much entourage regularly, but every now and then this is perfect!

on 11/2/2005 10:43:00 PM

"Dark...earthy.....brings to mind the catacombs.., BLEH!"

This is what I LIKE about it! But then I'm a creepy, creepy person.

Seriously though, this is not a bad scent at all, in fact I'm thinking about buying it. No grandmas of mine ever wore it, but I do think it's a grandmotherly scent. WHICH IS NOT BAD!!! How many people have negative thoughts when they think about how Grandma smells?

I'd for sure wear Youth Dew over some watered down, "clean-smelling" offal like Happy or Tommy Girl. I like my scents to be multi-layered, deep, down & dirty. And YD definitely fits that picture.

on 11/2/2005 10:01:00 PM

It took me years to come home again to Youth Dew. I'll tell you why: It was my weddding perfume, we went to Spain for our honeymoon, I unpacked my suitcase and stood my perfume etc on the bedside table, my new (foool) husband opened his suitcase and let the lid fly back swiping everything off MY bedside table........there were shards of glass EVERYWHERE! and the scent of Youth Dew permeated the air for the full 2 weeks. I wanted to kill him.

Youth Dew and I made friends again last year, I still love it. That dark richness. There's NOTHING else quite like it.

My what a classic and classy scent this is! If you go easy on the atomiser, just a gentle, easy does it sprite, it smells like lace would smell like if lace had a smell. I think everyone's Grandmom wore this hence the comfort of the scent; it's a 'hug you' scent. It's a little strong at first, but let it linger and it's a soft and pretty classic smell.

on 10/23/2005 11:37:00 PM

I think that the name of this really throws people off- it is not a fragrance for "youth", meaning it does not smell like Love's Baby Soft or those other favorites of kids. It is far too sexy smelling for that. I love the spicy smell- it is a winter fragrance and reminds me of Christmas.

Like the others have mentioned, you need to use a very light hand with this one, otherwise it will overpower, and there is NO scent that smells good when you are drifting in a heavy cloud. Use just a little touch. It smells very vintage, and very 60's.

personally am offended by the folks that have to throw Senior citizen insults into their reviews. Let's face it we all (God willing) will be old one day. Get out your Thesaurus for some new adjectives please!!!
While I don't share others hate for this, it isn't my favorite of Estee Lauder's. I find the bath powder isn't as strong as the parfum & gives me just the right amount of spicy scent. Wearing the EDP or EDT with the powder is a little too much for me right now. Definitely a winter scent and smells nice when used with a light hand.

on 9/28/2005 4:13:00 PM

You will most definitely see mixed reviews about this fragrance. I work for Estee Lauder and will admit that I HATE this soooooooo much, but you will not believe how much of it is still sold. The whole collection is still made and purchased by women of all ages. I once had a girl (early 30s) who works upstairs in our store, come down and douse herself with the scent that lingered at the counter for at least an hour. My head was screaming: MAKE IT GO AWAY! MAKE IT STOP! This is a strong fragrance that may work on some and others, like me, will simply hate. Use at your own risk. That said, I agree with what SummerSailing wrote below about this fragrance.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought my first bottle of Youth Dew when I was 28 years old, so I am living proof that it is NOT an old lady perfume! My husband and I bought a used car from a woman who doused herself in Youth Dew, so much so, that the car still smelled of it after we bought it. I knew what it was because my step-grandmother wore it and I had also thought of it as being a more "mature" fragrance. Day after day of driving this car caused me to go and buy a bottle of Youth Dew - and I loved it. I'm now 44 and today I bought another bottle. It has nothing to do with "old lady" smell. In the 50s when this came out it was just after WWII and perfume had been really hard to come by during the war years. From what I understand women flocked to the stores to buy it. These women were our mothers and grandmothers which is why we associate it with "older" women. It has nothing to do with the actual fragrance itself, but because we associate it with women who are older than us. In 25 years our granddaughters are going to be calling all the fruity-florals like Happy, Curious, etc. "old lady" smelling because they will associate it with us who will then be their mothers and grandmothers. In this day and age of perfumers all trying to get their piece of the billion dollar fragrance pie and turning out cookie cutter fruity-florals by the gallon, to me Youth Dew is a breath of fresh air, an original, and you don't smell it on everyone and her sister!

on 7/31/2005 3:04:00 PM

First, rather than babble tritely about "old lady" etc., let's begin with the actual notes. Per Basenotes: "Top: Orange, Bergamot, Peach, Aldehydes; Middle: Clove, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Cinnamon; Base: Amber, Tolu, Patchouli, Peru Balsam" Per Scentiments, the notes are "Rose, Jonquil, Lavender, Jasmine, Muguet, Spices, Moss, Vetiver, Patchouli," and Jan Moran at PerfumeMart lists them as "Top: Orange, bergamot, peach, spices; Heart: Clove, cinnamon, cassie, rose, ylang-ylang, orchid, jasmine; Base: Frankincense, amber, vanilla, oakmoss, clove, musk, patchouli, vetiver, spices."

There now, that doesn't sound like the nadir of all wickedness, the centre of the axis of evil, the heart of the destroyer, does it? It's just a perfume. For those who have remained in control of their brains and not gone into autospeak ("I Hate It It Smells Like Old Lady I Hate It It Smells Like Old Lady" and so forth), YD in fact sounds rather progressive and delicious, doesn't it? That's because it is.

YD is heavy, rich, sweet. It doesn't really "open" and then shift, it starts, for the most part, exactly as it will go on. There's a resinous balsamic accord not unlike cola, a dark bulgarian rose, patchouli, spice -- probably cloves, allspice, cinnamon -- ylang-ylang, vanilla, and a warm laundry/clean skin musk. As it dries down, the musk fades in more, so that after a few hours, the primary is the scent of clean skin right after a bath, and the secondary is the resin.

A little drop will do you. And if used sparingly, it smells incredibly expensive. Kind of french/arabian, if you can imagine that - a rich bottom accord with flourishes of spice. Now, for all of you still reading (who apparently have gotten through this unscathed), could we form a club dedicated to real reviews of things we've REALLY smelled and thought about, instead of turned-off-nose autospeak? And can we prosthletize?

on 7/23/2005 3:43:00 PM

I was given a bottle of this as a gift by a younger friend, and at first, I was a bit taken aback. "Youth Dew"? Was this some sort of snarky commentary on my thirtysomethingness? Then when I smelled the product in the bottle, I thought, "My God, this smells like something my eighty-five-year-old grandmother would wear!" So, again, I wondered again if my young friend was jabbing at my, um, increasing maturity.

But then I started thinking .... after all, my grandmother wasn't always eighty-five, and I know she has worn the same kinds of "signature scents" since she was in her twenties. And, I should add, my grandmother was quite the diva in her day! So, impulsively, I decided to try some "Youth Dew" one day.

I received compliments continually ... from my co-workers, from my students, from the guy who stood behind me in line at the grocery store. Whatever I thought it had smelled like in the bottle was NOT how it smelled on my person.
So it's a keeper.

Postscript: I finally asked my early-twentysomething friend why she chose that scent for me. "I asked the saleswoman for a scent for a strong, confident, sexy woman, and that's what she suggested."
Wow.