Estee Lauder Youth Dew

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Smells...like...death.

on 11/20/2005 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like, but don't love, Youth Dew. Spicy, heavy scents generally agree with my skin, and to be honest within a few hours of wear even Youth Dew mellows to a powdery incense rather than remaining particularly powerful. But it's definitely a scent only for those with the right chemistry and presence to carry it off.

NOTE: The type of bottle does affect the scent. The aqua-covered hourglass atomizers contain a much gentler, more evocative and I feel more successful version of Youth Dew. I have heard older ladies claim that the perfume in the aqua plastic-wrapped bottles smells more like the "real" Youth Dew from days of yore. I don't know why it is, but the clear ribbed glass bottle with the gold bow has a much harsher, less 'blended' initial feel on the skin. Unfortunately, I haven't found it sold in the aqua bottles for years. continued >>

on 11/18/2005 4:19:00 PM

Boy,this parfum version is some strong stuff!About 5-7 minutes into it I smelled rose. I thought this can't be right! I love rose but now I started to wonder if there was something wrong with me as I seem to detect rose in almost everything. Well, I looked up the composition notes and rose was listed as a note so I'm not imagining things. The next remainder of the notes are spicy, a little woodsy and a tad sweet. If you enjoy Opium or Cinnabar I would think this would also be enjoyable.

on 11/3/2005 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Feeling lonesome? Unloved? Nobody to talk to? Wear Youth Dew! Feel neglected? Overlooked? Not taken seriously? Wear Youth Dew! It precedes you wherever you go, brings up the rear and flanks you on both sides. Instant entourage! Beautiful, dark, complex, and very, very strong, a genuine power scent. I'm not sure I can take this much entourage regularly, but every now and then this is perfect!

on 11/2/2005 10:43:00 PM

"Dark...earthy.....brings to mind the catacombs.., BLEH!"

This is what I LIKE about it! But then I'm a creepy, creepy person.

Seriously though, this is not a bad scent at all, in fact I'm thinking about buying it. No grandmas of mine ever wore it, but I do think it's a grandmotherly scent. WHICH IS NOT BAD!!! How many people have negative thoughts when they think about how Grandma smells?

I'd for sure wear Youth Dew over some watered down, "clean-smelling" offal like Happy or Tommy Girl. I like my scents to be multi-layered, deep, down & dirty. And YD definitely fits that picture.

on 11/2/2005 10:01:00 PM

It took me years to come home again to Youth Dew. I'll tell you why: It was my weddding perfume, we went to Spain for our honeymoon, I unpacked my suitcase and stood my perfume etc on the bedside table, my new (foool) husband opened his suitcase and let the lid fly back swiping everything off MY bedside table........there were shards of glass EVERYWHERE! and the scent of Youth Dew permeated the air for the full 2 weeks. I wanted to kill him.

Youth Dew and I made friends again last year, I still love it. That dark richness. There's NOTHING else quite like it.

My what a classic and classy scent this is! If you go easy on the atomiser, just a gentle, easy does it sprite, it smells like lace would smell like if lace had a smell. I think everyone's Grandmom wore this hence the comfort of the scent; it's a 'hug you' scent. It's a little strong at first, but let it linger and it's a soft and pretty classic smell.

on 10/23/2005 11:37:00 PM

I think that the name of this really throws people off- it is not a fragrance for "youth", meaning it does not smell like Love's Baby Soft or those other favorites of kids. It is far too sexy smelling for that. I love the spicy smell- it is a winter fragrance and reminds me of Christmas.

Like the others have mentioned, you need to use a very light hand with this one, otherwise it will overpower, and there is NO scent that smells good when you are drifting in a heavy cloud. Use just a little touch. It smells very vintage, and very 60's.

personally am offended by the folks that have to throw Senior citizen insults into their reviews. Let's face it we all (God willing) will be old one day. Get out your Thesaurus for some new adjectives please!!!
While I don't share others hate for this, it isn't my favorite of Estee Lauder's. I find the bath powder isn't as strong as the parfum & gives me just the right amount of spicy scent. Wearing the EDP or EDT with the powder is a little too much for me right now. Definitely a winter scent and smells nice when used with a light hand.

on 9/28/2005 4:13:00 PM

You will most definitely see mixed reviews about this fragrance. I work for Estee Lauder and will admit that I HATE this soooooooo much, but you will not believe how much of it is still sold. The whole collection is still made and purchased by women of all ages. I once had a girl (early 30s) who works upstairs in our store, come down and douse herself with the scent that lingered at the counter for at least an hour. My head was screaming: MAKE IT GO AWAY! MAKE IT STOP! This is a strong fragrance that may work on some and others, like me, will simply hate. Use at your own risk. That said, I agree with what SummerSailing wrote below about this fragrance.

Popular Fragrances