LUSH Porridge Soap

3.6

Water (Aqua), Rapeseed Oil; Coconut Oil (Brassica napus; Cocos nucifera), Propylene Glycol, Pinhead Oatmeal (Avena sativa), Fresh Organic Orange Juice (Citrus Aurantium dulcis), Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Labdanum Resinoid (Cistus labdaniferus), Sweet Wild Orange Oil (Citrus sinensis), Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate, *Limonene *Occurs naturally in essential oils

on 9/27/2009 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've heard so much about this soap from youtubers so I figured I would give it a try since almost everyone had good things to say about this...but unfortunately I don't.

Being the cheapest soap that LUSH carries, I bought a chunk for around $10-15, and it was enough for me to cut it into 4 slabs (it was a really large piece). Now in the store I couldn't really smell it that much because of how many scents were going on in the store...but going off the description I thought I would love this.

Well the smell itself is somewhat pleasant like molasses and oatmeal with a hint of honey, but not sure if I want my body smelling like this all day...and when I wash with it the scent stays on my skin so I can't use any of my body sprays or perfumes because it would just smell weird.

My biggest problem is the lasting power...the soap melts sooo fast, and I did cure it (leave it out to dry) and it still melted faster than any soap I've ever had. Then the oats, although a little exfoliating (which is fine) they kind of make a mess in the shower, and I have to make sure that I wash all of the oats out. For a soap its kind of annoying that I have to clean out my shower after using, and seems quite unnecessary.

Another thing is the way it leaves my skin, my skin feels almost slick after using it. As if it repels water....and having the dry skin that I do, I feel as if it drys out my skin even more than it already is, so I have to put moisturizer on right after using this.

Since I have so much of this soap left I will be using it up, but I will definitely not be repurchasing, I would rather use something hassle free.

on 9/25/2009 3:32:00 PM

Me & my sister love this soap a lot. The scent of it stays on long after our shower and i love the scrubby bit of this soap. It smells like strawberry body polish from the body shop minus the sickly sweet smell. Will definately repurchase.

on 9/21/2009 11:20:00 PM

Living in the US, bought mine at UK online store -- never tried or smelled it before, just went by reviews. I opened the package and was greeted by the foulest smell I have ever experienced, and I thought it had to be a joke. It wasn't. The soap actually smells like that. Good lather and very moisturizing, though.

Now, I'm not sure if I got a bad batch or something, but I started gagging in the shower because of the stench. Not to mention all the little oats softened up and got all over my tub. RIP OFF!

on 9/3/2009 2:35:00 PM

Porridge is super creamy and moisturizing and exfoliates great! The best smelling soap I've ever had.. very addicting lol, please make a solid perfume!!!

on 9/2/2009 4:13:00 PM

Gorgeous scented soap, just the right amount of scrubbiness for sensitive skin.

Smells just like syrup...PERFECT!

on 9/1/2009 12:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've been really loyal to Lush soaps for years and this is one of my favorites. My sensitive skin reacts to many scrubby products but this is very gentle and non-abrasive. I can use it everyday without feeling like I'm over exfoliating. I even can shave my legs with this when I'm in a hurry.

And seriously, this smells so amazing! I love the warm, naturally sweet scent. I enjoy a little sweetness in my soaps but anything sugary or fake or cloying just repels me. The main portion of the soap is fairly soft in texture and lathers easily. The oatmeal grains are clustered on the uppermost portion of the soap (usually) and don't disappear quickly with use. It does tend to be a little messy but I don't mind since the grains don't seem to clog the drain or anything.

The only reason I didn't give this 5 lippies is because my absolute favorite soap is Lush's Alkmaar and nothing compares to that one. Otherwise this is a lovely soap. I have repurchased several times and will continue to as long as they keep making it.

on 8/16/2009 5:13:00 AM

Well, heard so many great things about this soap. Everyone that i've heard talk about this just raves about how great the smell is, and how nice the exfoliation effect is.

I agree, when I took a whiff of it at the store, I fell in love. The oaty smell and sweet scent really is wonderful.

I did quite like the scrubby effect of the bits and pieces in the soap.

However, after a while... it had this sour, kinda orangey kinda lemony scent mixed with rice or something. and lets face it, it's not great. I was wondering if the soap somehow "transformed" although I have not opened it for that long...

So well, all in all, I don't hate it, don't love it. But I'm willing to give it another try... and hope i enjoy it the next time around.

on 8/13/2009 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The smell is heavenly! Just a warning, you will want to eat it! I really liked the soap part, but there's a LOT of oats, leaving some necessary clean-up. Though I found them to do a very good job exfoliating. Will purchase more for winter

on 8/8/2009 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely hate this product. I bought it and when I used it in the shower I almost got sick. The instant that it hit the water I started gagging and had to completely remove it from the bathroom immediately. I am so disappointed in this because I got a pretty big piece of it too. I liked its texture and the bubbles it made but just thinking of that smell is making me nauseous and I have never had that reaction to any soap or Lush product before. I got another bar in France and had the same reaction :(

I think this is the cheapest of all the LUSH soaps. The smell is divine, very sweet and comfortable. The grains help scrub off the dead skin, but the soap also lathers up really well and leaves your skin with a layer of soap while you scrub. I don't think this soap is harsh on the skin, after you rinse off your skin feels smooth but moisturized. The problem is that it leaves behind the grains everywhere on your tub. So you either have to wash it down the drain or put it up and throw it away. Overall I do love this product and would repurchase it again.