August 21, 2014 | 1005 users online

Powder - Clinique - Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2010 9:51:00 PM More reviews by husserl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got this at the recommendation of one of my best friends. I typically use a very light dusting of this to "set" my tinted moisturizer or I use this on its own when I don't feel the need to look fully "done." I have a very fair complexion and this never appears muddy and I really appreciate the extra SPF. When applied with a foofy brush, it's a very no-nonsense powder that does the job and provides sheer to decent coverage depending on one's application style.

What I don't understand is how the effect I get from this product can be so variable. When I first started wearing this, I got tons of compliments. Yet, on some days, I would find that this product would settle into my fine lines and look funny. I'm young -- I'm not even supposed to HAVE "fine lines!" And yet, Almost Powder showed me exactly where they were! No one else seemed to notice this phenomenon...but, then again, who would honestly say so if they did?

I've also noticed that Almost Powder gives 50/50 reapplication results: sometimes, when I lightly reapply, everything looks great. And, sometimes, it just kinda cakes up in my T-Zone. Ironically, I think this powder is better for my days when I'm less oily (which are getting fewer and more far between as the weather warms up) when powder is supposed to be oil-zapping.

UPDATE: I found that switching to a mineral foundation solved all my issues here, and I don't think I'll ever purchase this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2010 12:13:00 AM More reviews by bootyliciousbaby

Just average for me. Sheer-light coverage, good colour match (01 fair) for NW15 skin, but no staying power. Put this on around noon and was sliding off my skin around 6pm, not a pretty sight. If you like pressed powder foundations, both Laura Mercier's and Dior Diorskin Forever Compact are superior to this in terms of staying power and finish.

EDIT 04/02/2010: This looks like I'm wearing chalk.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2010 1:21:00 PM More reviews by uggleson

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great product which minimizes time and effort a lot! My beauty routine just became so much easier and non messy, compared to fluid foundation. But, the use of this product is highly recommended with the extra buy of Cliniques bronzing brush. It is a vital tool for getting this product application right. The result is totally different (in a good way) than when just using the brush that goes with the powder. I would not give this product such a high rating if I did not find out about the application with the bronzing brush (Cliniques largest brush). This product is also very suitable for reapplication later in the evening, which can take you from daytime to eveningtime very easy. I totally agree with many other reviewers that this product actually does look better when have been warmed up a bit with natural skin oils in your face. After a few hours it looks stunning and even more flattering. I am normally pale with light blue eyes. The SA recommended #4 Natural for me, which I thought was way too dark, but it actually does matches really well and gives me that just extra bronzing colour that you actually can afford to your face without looking too made up.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2010 3:57:00 PM More reviews by caitlincoulthard

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This was my HG pressed powder for 2 or 3 years.
However I found one with more coverage (and WAAAAY more expensive :( So now I use this for touchups because I don't want to waste my other one.

PROS:
Great coverage.
Nice large mirror.
Finely milled, nice silky feel.
ALMOST powder, as in it's silky, almost creme-like,

CONS:
Poor packaging.
Can look cakey if you use the sponge included.

Overall, this product is great. It covers up any of my redness, and is great for touchups throughout the day. As I said before, this was my HG pressed powder for 2 years or so. I used it with my EcoTools powder brush, and the coverage was amazing. But I expected the packaging to be better. The pan actually fell out of the compact. (Sure, I just put in a magnetic strip and it was fine, but still.) At $23 it's a hellofalot cheaper than my new HG Chanel Poudre Universelle Compacte. I will repurchase because of it's cheap price, silky texture, and staying power.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2010 10:41:00 PM More reviews by lena88

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

best powder i have ever tired. it comes in a small compact which is still in good shape considering i have brought it everywhere. the little sponge it comes with is the perfect applicator for the makeup. it is not enough on its own, but it is my perfect powder to put over foundation because it just gets rid of my shine without making me feel like i am covered in powder,

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 12:42:00 AM More reviews by goldee

I don't use this as a foundation, because I need much more coverage than this alone can provide. I use it to set my foundation and give me even more coverage. It does not look cakey and keeps my skin matte. I hope they never discontinue it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2010 8:37:00 PM More reviews by bravemary

I love my Bobbi Brown Luminous Foundation, but live in a humid hot area and wanted somehing quicker to put on. This is great. I use some concealer under and get a fantastic finish. It lasts all day, although I have not tested it in the summer. The great thing about this makeup is it you need a touch up, its simple without redoing your entire face. I put it on with a brush, not anything special, like a smallish blush brush. then after I am done I spray my face with the Clinique moisturizing spray. Not very moisturizing but it feels great. This foundation does notmake my face itch like MAC did. I love it. I hadn't used Clinique in about 10 years, but this is worth going for.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/26/2010 3:15:00 PM More reviews by brianadecaro

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is just OK for me. I bough it after reading reviews here stating it had good coverage but was natural looking. I do agree that the coverage is very good, but it is a little cakey; especially so if applied with the sponge they give you. I was recently in Cabo and wore this by the pool over my sunscreen for a little extra boost because of its SPF 15 factor. I was surprised that this stayed on my skin even after taking a quick dip or two in the pool. So, the coverage is good, and it's long lasting, but this is not an absolute slam dunk for me. It has talc in it, which I was aware of when purchasing, so it's not the best for my face. Talc tends to clog me up - but it's in EVERYTHING! I still use it occasionally when I want something with a little more coverage, like if I'm going out at night, but generally, it just sits in my makeup case. I've since gone back to my Smashbox Halo, which doesn't give the coverage this does, but is ultimately better for my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by rosie11

I have so many problems with foundations and have tried so, so many. Mostly liquids as I like their smooth, dewy coverage. But they do tend to slip and take a while to blend etc. We got a sample of this at work and as the palest in the office (it was an 01 VF) it got given to me. Having a massive breakout at the time, I was on Roaccutane and my skin was a mess. By the 'almost' in its name, I really didn't think this would provide enough coverage - but amazingly, it did! It smoothed on beautifully and covered most of my spots without concealer. It was all I used when my skin was bad and it was a bit of a godsend. it covers my large, open pores better than any liquid and stays put all day. I feel confident about not needing touch ups when I use this. It's also good in humidity. I am really pale and the shade 01 is perfect. It doesn't work great beneath eyes, which isn't surprising as a powder, so still need concealer there. Highly recommend this!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2010 12:59:00 PM More reviews by vnyan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It's a great powder--high-quality, creamy, natural-looking, prettily packaged--that lasts many months. But I couldn't wear it in the summer because the slightest sweat melted it off and left streaks and patches! It's just a powder, so that probably can't be helped. So if you're like me and get sweaty easily, this is probably not the best choice. I switched to the Clinique Almost Makeup liquid, which is waterproof, and have been happy.