December 20, 2014 | 803 users online

Mascara - Bourjois - Volume Clubbing

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2007 6:32:00 PM More reviews by AnnetteCurtin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Mmm, I quite like this, great volume, stays on well, no smudges or smears here. However, the packaging looks tacky and the brush is far too big. Good price.

By the end of the day it looks a little brittle and will come off in tiny specks.

Overall, pretty good.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2007 11:44:00 AM More reviews by reverte

I thought I'd try the mascara after reading how water proof it is and the false eyelash effect it gave. While I agree that the brush is HUGE and a little unwieldy (especially when you want to reach those lashes at the corners), surprisingly, my lashes didn't clump up. I think the trick is to swipe gently?

I bought mine in black and it's a true black, contary to what some reviews may say. 2 coats and my lashes looked great! Not as va-va-voom as Estee Lauder's MagnaScopic Maximum Volume Mascara, but it came fairly close. It's a little on the wet side, so you really have to wait for it to dry.

It isn't as smudge proof as I wished it would be. Then again, in this weather and with my oily skin, even Fasio mascara smudges. The smudging is bearable and I had no problems removing it with my Kose cleansing oil (which also removes Fasio mascara with ease).

Price-wise, it's a pricer for a drugstore brand (SGD22 as comapred to the usual $15ish prices of Fasio, Maybelline, etc). However, I may consider this product again in future.

*Edit: Have reduced my rating from 4 to 3 stars. After some time, I realised that the mascara began to smudge really badly. As much as I love the falsies look, I think I am going to keep this one for quick glam events.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2007 4:26:00 AM More reviews by RoxieFoxie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

*** Edit 25.03.2009 *** : I decided to change how I rated this Mascara, because with time, I learnt how to use it and now I love it!

I had already repurchased it , and Im going to give it 5 lippies. What has changed is that , it needs to be left for a few weeks to dry a bit , after you open the tube.

At first is quite watery and you get cumps and clumps and spiddery lashes! After a few weeks , the consistency changes and you get the longest lashes ever , and it lasts for a whole night of clubbing aswell , which for me is a plus! **

EDIT 24/12/2007: ~~ Im affraid that I'll take another lippie off for this mascara. While I think the product is very good and lasts in time, the hassle of taking it off is not worth it. I ended up with red eyes and 30 mins of wiping this off my eyes and it still wasnt out. Guess you cant have it all! ~~

I dont know what to think of this mascara quite yet. I used it yesterday for the first time and at first I thought it looked awful, giving me spider-lashes and wasnt sure about the brush either. After taking some patience and practice with the huge brush it has, WOW!

I managed to get the longest lashes I ever had in my life. It does get lashes together so carefull not to build up on too many coats ( plus it's very hard to take off in case you dont like the look of it). I think Im in love with this Mascara now, the only drawback which I took 1 lippy off is that it's awfully hard to take off at the end of the day.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2007 11:54:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was going to get onto MUA and rave rave rave about this product, after all it gives THE most almighty amazing-looking enormous fake-looking lashes, I have radically Asian non-existent lashes, as in they are so short and sparse there is hardly even anything there to even put mascara onto to begin with! Well with this mascara after 2 coats they gave me such amazing lashes that I actually looked like I had false lashes, which is something next to impossible for even the normal typical Asian lashes not to mention something so extreme as the lashes I have which I am sure are smaller than even typical Asian lashes. Since I am such a real *nature girl* and I don't like to look like I wear any makeup (except eyeliner lol!) I thought people might find it scandalous to discover me wearing *falsies*, that didnīt stop me from using this amazing mascara however hehe! And if I ever found the *falsie* effect too overwhelming I just stuck to using one coat, which gave me beautiful lashes without the falsie effect. However, unfortunately after a couple of uses this mascara really started stinging and burning and bothering my eyes! Such a bummer, when I finally found such an amazing mascara! And then it flaked into my eyes. This effect only occurs while the mascara is wet and drying, after it dries it doesn't give me any problems. However since it does give me these problems, that means I can't use this mascara on hectic rushing normal mornings, because I have to sit around and cry and cry and cry while the mascara is drying (and flaking), then wipe away any smeared eye makeup and then reapply the rest of the eye makeup all over again! Such a stupid pain and hassle! But since I love the effect of this mascara so much I will put up with all that hassle just to be able to enjoy my *falsies* all day long when I have time. So one lippie off for antagonizing my stupid hypersensitive allergy-prone eyes so much.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2007 3:58:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I'm surprised at the low reviews this product has received. I don't think it is available in the US yet (at least not in NYC) -- but on my last trip to Paris in November, I decided to pick this up. I ended up getting it at Carrefour for 12 Euros or so (which, with the dollar exchange rate, equated to $18!), and was excited to try it because I am a mascara junkie.

I didn't have too high of expectations because I've never been tremendously in love with any Bourjois mascaras, but Volume Clubbing was surprising. It definitely did volumize, and it also added some nice length, held the curl, and the black color was also very deep. I didn't have any problems with the brush, but I happen to like large brushes (ie. DiorSho!). I used one of the flat sides to "volumize" and push the lashes up first, and then the longer bristled sides to lengthen, and it gave good results. With 2 coats, I had club-worthy lashes.

This actually reminds me a bit of the TooFaced Lash Injection mascara, except without the Krazy Glue smell that TF has. My only complaint is that it is difficult to remove (just as the TooFaced)... I understand it is supposed to be long-lasting, but when I tried to remove, it sort of "crumbled" and created little black flecks all over my face. Not cute.

So, while I do love the result, I don't think this will be my HG mascara due to this fact. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2007 11:01:00 AM More reviews by artemis16

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a case of good product formulation, terrible wand. The mascara does not run at all, but with this brush I look as if I've got no more than 3 lashes in total...I use the brush from the Volume Glamour Ultra Black mascara and it works fine, but it's a hassle - too much hassle in fact to ever consider buying this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2007 8:32:00 AM More reviews by savethemarianne

Pros: It really doesn't run, I managed to rinse my whole face with water with this on. pretty cheap at Ģ5
Cons: I found the colour was not very rich, a bit dark grey and it sort of gives a spider leg look rather than volume, although I didn't layer it on so it still looked pretty good and it does make a noticable difference, it's definitely not a weak kind of mascara.

I will definitely keep using this one as I need this kind of mascara for clubbing and sports but when it runs out I probably won't buy it again, I'll hunt for a waterproof with richer colour and better texture.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/6/2007 9:09:00 AM More reviews by girlelectricuk

I thought this mascara was pretty awful to be honest. The brush was big and clumpy to use, and you either looked like you weren't wearing any or had 5 fat spider legs on each eye! The only thing i liked was the colour which was a rich black.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2007 10:06:00 AM More reviews by tiina009

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

i like the mascara,it gives me longer,fuller lashes.. but i dont like the big brush -it is full of the mascara and it makes applying the mascara very tricky cause if youre not careful youll end up with most the lashes sticking together..
i cant seem to remove it well either because none of my eye make up removers has managed to get it all off..
but over all i love this mascara because when it is on its fabulous!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2007 11:33:00 AM More reviews by firework_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've only had a brief chance to play around with this so far but I like what I see.
The first thing that struck me about VC is just how thick the tube is. I don't think I've ever owned a mascara that comes in such a hefty tube. Speaking of hefty, the brush is by no means a lightweight. There are other mascaras out there with large brushes but I haven't had any experiences with those to date. This probably explains why I did a grand job of poking myself in the eye and smearing mascara all under my eye on initial application.
A lot of product does seem to come out on the brush so it's probably wise to wipe the very tip with a tissue, this seems to be where all the excess gathers.
After just one coat, I couldn't stop staring at my lashes in the mirror. They are fairly lengthy anyhow but with this mascara thrown into the equation we're talking crazy length and definitely a big improvement on volume. Had I not been in such a rush to play and actually curled them beforehand, it would have been an effect akin to false lashes. I do not say this lightly as many mascaras promising just such an effect always fail to deliver for me. Even my husband noticed and agreed that it did indeed look like I was wearing falsies. Bourjois aren't kidding when they state on the tube "dramatic look". I bought the shade "Absolute Black" and it is indeed black. Not washed out greyish black, or black like a more natural-looking mascara but deep, dark black.
One downside is that you really do need to comb your lashes through otherwise it will clump a little. As I always do that anyway it's not such a big issue for me.
There was no flaking at all and my lashes weren't left feeling brittle and dry and just urgh (there's probably a word for that feeling but it isn't springing to mind at this point).
As I said, this was just an initial testing but it will be given a full run over the weekend, complete with pre-curled lashes. So far so good, however.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No