August 21, 2014 | 1118 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2008 9:25:00 AM More reviews by lillyntally

I bought Dark Auburn (4R) The color looks very natural (was afraid it would come out purple or something!!) The smell was god awful, but that's what you get with permanent dyes. I'm glad I bought this brand. It covered my grays in the front and looks very pretty!!! Would def buy again...

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2008 10:42:00 PM More reviews by magginine

i've used different shades of light, medium and dark brown in this but my fave shade is 53, the one featuring Eva Longoria now in the ad. it's a very rich amber/reddish brown. i have used other products including excellence cream, garnier nutrisse, belle color, nice and easy and clairol l'image. i have to color every 3 weeks due to the amount of gray in my hair and i have found that this covers gray the best out of all of them. it also lasts a long time without fading off. it could be a little gentler on the hair but the conditioner is a good one. the mixture is on the runny side as opposed to creamy so you have to watch out for mess. but for the gray coverage and richness of shade 53 i'd give this a thumbs up.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2008 1:02:00 AM More reviews by beautyblitz

This works very well and lasts months if you use to color glaze in the shower a few times a week. The one I find that works the best is Sunsilk for nonhighlighted color treated brunettes. But if you don't use a glaze I definitely notice that it fades quickly and becomes brassy.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2008 10:59:00 PM More reviews by fashionista2021

This color SUCKS!!! I normally always buy clairol nice n easy. It doesnt make my hair brassy at all and is true to its color. I was in target and I can never stay away from the hair color aisle... Im addicted to coloring. Anyways, so I see this and I got 6A Light Ash Brow. My hair pulls red so I always go with ash. It normally turns out a nice natural nuetral color. So I got this and my go to color Nice n easy Natural light ash brown. for back up. Thank heavens I did. I after I washed out the color and the conditioner it was an awful brassy yellowy orange!! EWWW!!! I was pissed!!! Why did I do that I could have left my poor hair alone!!!! NEVER BUY THIS CRAP unless you like faded brass nastiness!! Ugh Im so mad at myself for using this I have used loreal before and it has always been crap and always will be.... Hopefully my good ol' nice n easy can fix it and Ill still have somewhat healthy hair.
::::::::UPDATE::::::::
I just redyed my hair with my clairol and my hair is mostly fixed.... im still so pissed because my hair shouldnt have gone through all that damage. Luckily it isnt really damaged badly but Ill never EVER do that again!! It was my fault for letting Loreal take another crap on my head.. tsk tsk ... now for a hot oil treatment...

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2008 4:09:00 PM More reviews by AthenaNike

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

9-23-2008: I don't know the diff between this and "L'Oreal Superior Preference," so this review is in both places. I switched to this product from Colour Experete (or however it's spelled) 8.3 Dulce de Leche because I am not, in fact, a color expert. I used Preference 9/Light Natural Blonde to tone town the reds in from CE and to lighten the color a tad. It worked and I really like the results. The dye doesn't stink, it didn't dry out my hair (then again, I always preach using a shower cap under your usual hot shower during the conditioning phase of hair coloring), and the conditioner smells great. I just dyed it maybe 3 hours ago, so it still has that "just dyed" look. The tone is much more natural and compliments my skin waaaaay more than CE8.3 did. It only took 25 minutes, which is less time consuming than CE. I took off one lipstick because I want to come back and update the fade resistance of the color. As of now, I don't know.
10-3-08: It's been a while now and I guess I like my hair in general. It's got warmer tones than I'd like, so I've been washing with Shimmer Lights on a weekly basis. That's helped some. My hair hasn't dried out, the color hasn't faded in any manner worth noting, and the various tones in my hair (light, medium, dark, red) are showing through more and it looks more natural. I still wish it were lighter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2008 9:17:00 PM More reviews by aebernero23

I recently used this product in INTENSE COPPER RED and it turned out fabulous!!! I had very light blonde hair with lots of dark blonde lowlights and was dying to try something new and outrageous. I must admit that I was terrified that I would end up with a head full of bozo hair, but I am relieved and excited to say that the color of my locks is a stunning and rich auburn with copper flecks. Because my hair was so light I did purchase two boxes of this so that I could do the process twice. The first attempt came out a quite lovely but not rich enough and my ends weren't quite as red as my roots, but -- by the time I colored, washed and dried my hair the second time the color was perfect!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2008 4:28:00 AM More reviews by starlite714

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am actually amazed at how many people gave this bad reviews??!!! I have been using Color Preference quite often for over a year now, ever since I went almost completely blonde (too many highlights). What I found with L'Oreal is that the color may be darker than my natural color but its absolutely beautiful. I'm not too sure if its just me, but i feel like it fades pretty quickly.... so I redye often. It smells terrible like all hair dyes but it doesn't destroy my hair at all and leaves it soft and shiny. As long as you follow the directions and leave it in for the right amount of time and leave the provided conditioner in for 2 or 3 minutes and rinse with icy cold water, then you should be good to go!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2008 5:15:00 PM More reviews by kkchamb

I'd rename this product "Inferior Avoidance". It's that bad. It did so much damage to my hair I will probably have to cut it - and I have long hair! The color did not match the box, it left my hair feeling like straw, gave me split ends and more hair loss then with any other coloring product I've used and the grey started coming back after a week. They should yank this product from the shelves. Shame on L'Oreal!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2008 3:34:00 PM More reviews by mainlinediva

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've always used Preference in the blonde shades with much success. Recently, I have been trying to go darker, so each month I would go down a level. This week I bought Light Brown (level 6) and my hair was a med./dark blonde (level 7). Honestly, I was really disappointed with my results. I thought my hair would turn out to be the color on the side of the box (which it always does and it looked like a really pretty dark/ash blonde shade), but it turned out to be much, much darker and like some of the other reviewers are stating a bit bronzy too. I'm going to wait and wash it a few times and see how it turns out. Sometimes it will lighten up after a few washes, so I'm hoping for the best. If I don't like it, I'm going back to their dark blonde shade next month. ***Update**** After a few washes this turned out to be such a pretty shade! I love it! It's like a really dark blonde/very light brown with a little blonde running through it (that's left over from last month). I'm def. going to buy this shade again and see what happens next month.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2008 8:32:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

No one else seems to like this dye as much as me, but I would purchase this over and over! Over the last two months I have experimented with various colors and brands (read my reviews for the disastrous results). I was left with golden brown hair with much orange. Not happy. So I bought Preference Light Ash Brown as it looked a little darker on the box than my hair was at that moment, and I wanted to dye it darker to cover the orange. It was easy to apply, and although it wasn't as nice a formula as Excellence cream, it was still an ok product. Strong smell, but that dissipates after a few minutes. After washing off the dye and conditioning my hair, I was extremely happy with the result, even if it was unexpected. My hair had gone from orangy to a beautiful shimmery dark honey color. It had actually lightened my hair and removed all traces of orange and looked very natural and pretty. I was thrilled! I should know by now that every time I buy dye, the end result will be a lot lighter than the shade on the box. My hair was left in fantastic condition, shiny, silky and full of volume. I can't wait to dye my hair again next month! **UPDATE** It faded and went brassy after a week. Back to Clairol's Loving Care! continued >>