October 24, 2014 | 1529 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2009 2:46:00 PM More reviews by MiahLee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

The bad reviews for this product really shock me! I've been using Intense Copper Red for about 2 or 3 years now after trying MANY different brands. I can honestly say, this is the best. (Even better than when I got my hair done in a salon!) My hair is naturally a very dark brown, almost black. I didn't need to bleach my hair or anything to get the desired shade of red! The last time I dyed it was in like, September and it STILL hasn't faded! I am getting my hair done in a different salon in a few weeks, so my "better than salon-quality" opinion may change, but this is the best dye I have used to this date.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2009 12:44:00 AM More reviews by the_borg_queen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm shocked at some of the reviews of L'oreal Preference. For drugstore haircolor you can't beat it. The colors are soft and natural looking and the formula leaves your hair silky and shiny. My hair always has beautiful subtle hightlights when I use it.
And I absolutely can't believe one of the reviewers thought Clairol's NiceNEasy was so much better than L'oreal Preference. I used to use Nice and Easy and other Clairol hair colors and they always looked very artificial and monotone. The tones were dull and my hair always felt sticky and damaged afterwards. The smell of Clairol haircolors are a million times worse than L'oreals. There's no comparison.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2009 3:50:00 AM More reviews by krjcmc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the first time I've used this product. I usually use Nice and Easy but figured I would give this one a try. The mixture seemed much more watery than other ones I'd used. That combined with the bottle with the small tip means that it's quite easy to fling color mixture around when you're trying to put it on your hair. I have hair that's just past shoulder length so that isn't a good thing for me. I agree with the previous reviewers who said the smell is horrendous. It really is. Clairol coloring products that I have used in the past do NOT smell this way. It smells so bad that I stopped in the middle and made sure I had mixed up the right items in the right way because I was pretty sure it shouldn't smell that bad (the mixing is a no-brainer of course..) It seemed to do a decent job of coloring my hair - hair looks fairly shiny and the color seems okay (I used the medium golden brown.) The watery-ness of it didn't work for me at all though. It's way too messy. It got a couple drops on the carpet which were a huge pain to clean up.
I don't think home haircoloring is worth it for me any more. I guess I never thought about the fact that when you pay at the salon, you're not only paying for them to do it for you - you're also paying them to clean up the mess. ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2009 5:32:00 AM More reviews by stargazer_lily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm surprised at the decidedly average rating for this product. I have been using Superior Preference for quite a few years now and I LOVE it. For reference my hair is long, fine and naturally a mousey/dirty blonde. I started out using Hollywood Light Blonde (which Charlize Theron has advertised) but I recently switched to California Natural Blonde which is a shade or 2 darker. Both look very natural and gorgeous on my hair. In fact I have had hairdressers compliment me on my colour. I look forward to using Superior Preference because my hair is so soft and silky afterwards - it's like a conditioning treatment! Speaking of which, I love the generous tube of conditioner included in the pack. Great stuff. Don't be alarmed if your hair looks red while the dye is developing - it does come out blonde!! (I almost had a panic attack the first time I used Superior Preference!).

One thing I will say is that Superior Preference smells horrendous while developing but you get that with permanent blonde colour... And the smell does tend to linger in your hair after rinsing it out. What helps immensely is doing a vinegar rinse - I dilute about a quarter cup of white vinegar in 2 cups of warm water. I then rinse my hair with it after rinsing all the dye out and before applying conditioner. This really works a treat and does not affect the colour. My SO no longer complains about the smell!

My long hair is in great condition with no split ends, despite constant colour touch-ups with Superior Preference. But please note that I rarely heat-style and I do believe this preserves the condition of my hair well.

I am very happy with Superior Preference and will continue to buy it.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2008 9:25:00 AM More reviews by lillyntally

I bought Dark Auburn (4R) The color looks very natural (was afraid it would come out purple or something!!) The smell was god awful, but that's what you get with permanent dyes. I'm glad I bought this brand. It covered my grays in the front and looks very pretty!!! Would def buy again...

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2008 10:42:00 PM More reviews by magginine

i've used different shades of light, medium and dark brown in this but my fave shade is 53, the one featuring Eva Longoria now in the ad. it's a very rich amber/reddish brown. i have used other products including excellence cream, garnier nutrisse, belle color, nice and easy and clairol l'image. i have to color every 3 weeks due to the amount of gray in my hair and i have found that this covers gray the best out of all of them. it also lasts a long time without fading off. it could be a little gentler on the hair but the conditioner is a good one. the mixture is on the runny side as opposed to creamy so you have to watch out for mess. but for the gray coverage and richness of shade 53 i'd give this a thumbs up.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2008 1:02:00 AM More reviews by beautyblitz

This works very well and lasts months if you use to color glaze in the shower a few times a week. The one I find that works the best is Sunsilk for nonhighlighted color treated brunettes. But if you don't use a glaze I definitely notice that it fades quickly and becomes brassy.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2008 10:59:00 PM More reviews by fashionista2021

This color SUCKS!!! I normally always buy clairol nice n easy. It doesnt make my hair brassy at all and is true to its color. I was in target and I can never stay away from the hair color aisle... Im addicted to coloring. Anyways, so I see this and I got 6A Light Ash Brow. My hair pulls red so I always go with ash. It normally turns out a nice natural nuetral color. So I got this and my go to color Nice n easy Natural light ash brown. for back up. Thank heavens I did. I after I washed out the color and the conditioner it was an awful brassy yellowy orange!! EWWW!!! I was pissed!!! Why did I do that I could have left my poor hair alone!!!! NEVER BUY THIS CRAP unless you like faded brass nastiness!! Ugh Im so mad at myself for using this I have used loreal before and it has always been crap and always will be.... Hopefully my good ol' nice n easy can fix it and Ill still have somewhat healthy hair.
::::::::UPDATE::::::::
I just redyed my hair with my clairol and my hair is mostly fixed.... im still so pissed because my hair shouldnt have gone through all that damage. Luckily it isnt really damaged badly but Ill never EVER do that again!! It was my fault for letting Loreal take another crap on my head.. tsk tsk ... now for a hot oil treatment...

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2008 4:09:00 PM More reviews by AthenaNike

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

9-23-2008: I don't know the diff between this and "L'Oreal Superior Preference," so this review is in both places. I switched to this product from Colour Experete (or however it's spelled) 8.3 Dulce de Leche because I am not, in fact, a color expert. I used Preference 9/Light Natural Blonde to tone town the reds in from CE and to lighten the color a tad. It worked and I really like the results. The dye doesn't stink, it didn't dry out my hair (then again, I always preach using a shower cap under your usual hot shower during the conditioning phase of hair coloring), and the conditioner smells great. I just dyed it maybe 3 hours ago, so it still has that "just dyed" look. The tone is much more natural and compliments my skin waaaaay more than CE8.3 did. It only took 25 minutes, which is less time consuming than CE. I took off one lipstick because I want to come back and update the fade resistance of the color. As of now, I don't know.
10-3-08: It's been a while now and I guess I like my hair in general. It's got warmer tones than I'd like, so I've been washing with Shimmer Lights on a weekly basis. That's helped some. My hair hasn't dried out, the color hasn't faded in any manner worth noting, and the various tones in my hair (light, medium, dark, red) are showing through more and it looks more natural. I still wish it were lighter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2008 9:17:00 PM More reviews by aebernero23

I recently used this product in INTENSE COPPER RED and it turned out fabulous!!! I had very light blonde hair with lots of dark blonde lowlights and was dying to try something new and outrageous. I must admit that I was terrified that I would end up with a head full of bozo hair, but I am relieved and excited to say that the color of my locks is a stunning and rich auburn with copper flecks. Because my hair was so light I did purchase two boxes of this so that I could do the process twice. The first attempt came out a quite lovely but not rich enough and my ends weren't quite as red as my roots, but -- by the time I colored, washed and dried my hair the second time the color was perfect!!!!