L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.5

on 5/11/2009 6:31:00 PM

I had a horrible experience with this dye. After keeping my hair natural for 8 years, I decided to try red hair. I always loved my hair red, but usually went dark (like dark auburn or chocolate cherry). I decided to try Intense Copper Red (I believe that's the shade I used). I figured because my hair is medium brown naturally that this wouldn't be too bad. I put this on my head for the time recommended on the package and when I washed it off my roots were bright ORANGE and the rest of my hair was a dull, fake looking pinkish red. HORRIBLE. I cried. I then called Clairol's help line (not L'Oreal, I was kind of pissed at them at the time) and they gave me wonderful advice to fix my hair that worked. I can't say all L'Oreal preference colors are bad, but I do NOT recommend this shade unless it's Halloween and you're crazy.

on 5/5/2009 10:19:00 AM

I've been using Preference for years and love it. I've had professional coloring, but my hair grows far too fast for my purse to tolerate bi-weekly trips to the salon. I tried Superior Preference and loved it. The Natural Blonde is perfect for me. Not too ashy, not too golden. I feel like Goldie Locks when she found the right bed...this one is just right! For me, the key has been to leave it on my roots (only) for at least 45 minutes. My natural hair is medium brown with 25% gray. When I wasn't leaving it on long enough, the color wasn't as natural looking, and it seemed to fade more after a week or two. Might be my imagination, but 50 minutes does the trick for me.

I used this in Hollywood (#9) and can easily say it's the best at-home hair colour I've tried. The colour is exactly as it is on the packet and looks really natural on my hair.

I'll be using this now to maintain my hair colour instead of expensive visits to the hairdresser every 6 weeks!

on 4/1/2009 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I have used this hair color in 5A for years. Prior to finding this product I tried numerous other brands and formulas and like this one the very best. It gives me a very natural color adding both high and low highs. It is long lasting without a lot of fading between applications. It is easy to apply & does not drip. Also covers grays really well. My hair is healthy and feels well conditioned after application. It is easy to mix and use. It is slightly more expensive than some of the colors on the market, but less than others & it surely is much less expensive than salon color. Honestly, I got my hair colored in salons for years & actually like the results with this product better. This is my HG hair color product and I will definitely continue to use it as needed.

on 4/1/2009 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this for the first time last night and I was pretty pleased with the results. It costs as much as my favorite brand (Da Vinci Hair Color) but it was also gentler to my scalp. I use Trionics instead of Peroxide so I get the benefit of not damaging my hair every time I color my hair but some hair colors are still too intense for my scalp. No itching or irritation after using this. Highly recommend it to people with grays. I left it for 45 minutes and my grays were completely covered, even the stuborn sides. The natural black or number 3 was the shade that I used. Some hair color was left on my skin but was easily removed by soap.

on 3/31/2009 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hate this product. Trying to save money and tried to do it myself. Looked at the MUA reviews and gave it a try. I am so disappointed. It left an orange red color on my roots and left my dark brown hair the same. Thinking I don't want redness on my hair, I chose Light Ash Brown. I cried today, also have my period so it did not help.
Please stay away.
My 8 year old daughter said, " Mom you dyed your roots RED". That really pushed me over the edge.
Hate, hate, hate!!!!

Loved the 9GR light reddish blonde. The color came out perfectly and covered my gray strands.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My favorite brand of hairdye. No tricks here. It comes out the color you want and feels great. Make sure you use color-treated products or it won't last as long. Otherwise, it stays great for a while.

Wow! I didn't check the reviews until after I tried this, and I am so surprised at the number of bad ones! I bought this to try to dye my hair back to my original colour after a horrible attempt at bleach-highlighting. I bought #37, "Golden Blonde." I thought the packaging was great! It was super easy--just pour into a tube and shake. The nozzle was also great, allowing me to apply it without the danger of a whole glob of it falling onto one spot. I will say that it smelled HORRIBLY and the chemicals were so strong they stung my eyes so much, but just open a window and bear it--it's worth it! I waited the 25 minutes and was super nervous because my hair looked the colour of CARROTS but I stayed calm and rinsed. I conditioned, rinsed again, and blow-dried. I am so happy with the results!!!! My hair is so soft and bouncy, the colour is perfectly even and the perfect shade of warm blonde. I will definitely repurchase!!
EDIT: It's been about three weeks, and the colour has faded noticeably, but it still looks great! My botched highlights are still covered up nicely.

on 2/8/2009 7:49:00 PM

I hate this product so much. I spent $12.00 this and I seriously want my money back. Everything about this product is horrible. First, it burns my head and stings my eyes. Also, it does the most pathetic job of covering grays. I don't even have that much gray hair and it failed to cover those up. Worst of all, it made my roots ORANGE while leaving the rest of my hair the colour it was before I dyed it, which is dark brown. I'm so angry right now I could just crap my pants in fury. But I won't and I'll crap on the face of L'Oreal by writing this review. I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. I'm shaking with rage right now about how heinous this dye is. I would never reccommend this product to ANYBODY. EVER. I seriously want my money back and I'm currently looking into their customer satisfaction policy.
***Click continue for photographic evidence of the heinousness!***

*~UPDATE~* I called the hotline on the L'Oreal website and asked about their customer satisfaction policy and since it was my first time calling about being dissatisfied with one of their products, I would receive a free gift and samples in the mail. The customer service representative I talked to was really nice and helpful and answered all my questions I had regarding how to re-dye my hair and how long I should wait before re-dying it (it's 24 hours). I was really pleased with the customer service, but too bad for them I'll never buy their stupid hair dye ever again.

continued >>