November 22, 2014 | 1931 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2009 3:30:00 PM More reviews by paintedraven

Wow! I didn't check the reviews until after I tried this, and I am so surprised at the number of bad ones! I bought this to try to dye my hair back to my original colour after a horrible attempt at bleach-highlighting. I bought #37, "Golden Blonde." I thought the packaging was great! It was super easy--just pour into a tube and shake. The nozzle was also great, allowing me to apply it without the danger of a whole glob of it falling onto one spot. I will say that it smelled HORRIBLY and the chemicals were so strong they stung my eyes so much, but just open a window and bear it--it's worth it! I waited the 25 minutes and was super nervous because my hair looked the colour of CARROTS but I stayed calm and rinsed. I conditioned, rinsed again, and blow-dried. I am so happy with the results!!!! My hair is so soft and bouncy, the colour is perfectly even and the perfect shade of warm blonde. I will definitely repurchase!!
EDIT: It's been about three weeks, and the colour has faded noticeably, but it still looks great! My botched highlights are still covered up nicely.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2009 7:49:00 PM More reviews by hebamo

I hate this product so much. I spent $12.00 this and I seriously want my money back. Everything about this product is horrible. First, it burns my head and stings my eyes. Also, it does the most pathetic job of covering grays. I don't even have that much gray hair and it failed to cover those up. Worst of all, it made my roots ORANGE while leaving the rest of my hair the colour it was before I dyed it, which is dark brown. I'm so angry right now I could just crap my pants in fury. But I won't and I'll crap on the face of L'Oreal by writing this review. I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. I'm shaking with rage right now about how heinous this dye is. I would never reccommend this product to ANYBODY. EVER. I seriously want my money back and I'm currently looking into their customer satisfaction policy.
***Click continue for photographic evidence of the heinousness!***

*~UPDATE~* I called the hotline on the L'Oreal website and asked about their customer satisfaction policy and since it was my first time calling about being dissatisfied with one of their products, I would receive a free gift and samples in the mail. The customer service representative I talked to was really nice and helpful and answered all my questions I had regarding how to re-dye my hair and how long I should wait before re-dying it (it's 24 hours). I was really pleased with the customer service, but too bad for them I'll never buy their stupid hair dye ever again.

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2009 12:04:00 AM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I absolutely love Preference. I've used it in a range of colors, from 7N (dark blonde) to 9.5NB (light neutral blonde). I haven't been disappointed in Preference since I started using it years ago. It's a great starter kit for first-timers. The color has always come out true to what you see on the box (not necessarily the shade on the model, though). Their darker colors last fairly long; however when going darker sometimes it takes a few colorings to get the color to truely last, without fading in a few weeks. Their blonde shades have great lift in them to lighten hair and give you a great color. Overall I would recommend L'Oreal Preference to anyone and everyone. It's the only drugstore color I've been 100% satisfied with.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2009 2:46:00 PM More reviews by MiahLee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

The bad reviews for this product really shock me! I've been using Intense Copper Red for about 2 or 3 years now after trying MANY different brands. I can honestly say, this is the best. (Even better than when I got my hair done in a salon!) My hair is naturally a very dark brown, almost black. I didn't need to bleach my hair or anything to get the desired shade of red! The last time I dyed it was in like, September and it STILL hasn't faded! I am getting my hair done in a different salon in a few weeks, so my "better than salon-quality" opinion may change, but this is the best dye I have used to this date.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2009 12:44:00 AM More reviews by the_borg_queen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm shocked at some of the reviews of L'oreal Preference. For drugstore haircolor you can't beat it. The colors are soft and natural looking and the formula leaves your hair silky and shiny. My hair always has beautiful subtle hightlights when I use it.
And I absolutely can't believe one of the reviewers thought Clairol's NiceNEasy was so much better than L'oreal Preference. I used to use Nice and Easy and other Clairol hair colors and they always looked very artificial and monotone. The tones were dull and my hair always felt sticky and damaged afterwards. The smell of Clairol haircolors are a million times worse than L'oreals. There's no comparison.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2009 3:50:00 AM More reviews by krjcmc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the first time I've used this product. I usually use Nice and Easy but figured I would give this one a try. The mixture seemed much more watery than other ones I'd used. That combined with the bottle with the small tip means that it's quite easy to fling color mixture around when you're trying to put it on your hair. I have hair that's just past shoulder length so that isn't a good thing for me. I agree with the previous reviewers who said the smell is horrendous. It really is. Clairol coloring products that I have used in the past do NOT smell this way. It smells so bad that I stopped in the middle and made sure I had mixed up the right items in the right way because I was pretty sure it shouldn't smell that bad (the mixing is a no-brainer of course..) It seemed to do a decent job of coloring my hair - hair looks fairly shiny and the color seems okay (I used the medium golden brown.) The watery-ness of it didn't work for me at all though. It's way too messy. It got a couple drops on the carpet which were a huge pain to clean up.
I don't think home haircoloring is worth it for me any more. I guess I never thought about the fact that when you pay at the salon, you're not only paying for them to do it for you - you're also paying them to clean up the mess. ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2009 5:32:00 AM More reviews by stargazer_lily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm surprised at the decidedly average rating for this product. I have been using Superior Preference for quite a few years now and I LOVE it. For reference my hair is long, fine and naturally a mousey/dirty blonde. I started out using Hollywood Light Blonde (which Charlize Theron has advertised) but I recently switched to California Natural Blonde which is a shade or 2 darker. Both look very natural and gorgeous on my hair. In fact I have had hairdressers compliment me on my colour. I look forward to using Superior Preference because my hair is so soft and silky afterwards - it's like a conditioning treatment! Speaking of which, I love the generous tube of conditioner included in the pack. Great stuff. Don't be alarmed if your hair looks red while the dye is developing - it does come out blonde!! (I almost had a panic attack the first time I used Superior Preference!).

One thing I will say is that Superior Preference smells horrendous while developing but you get that with permanent blonde colour... And the smell does tend to linger in your hair after rinsing it out. What helps immensely is doing a vinegar rinse - I dilute about a quarter cup of white vinegar in 2 cups of warm water. I then rinse my hair with it after rinsing all the dye out and before applying conditioner. This really works a treat and does not affect the colour. My SO no longer complains about the smell!

My long hair is in great condition with no split ends, despite constant colour touch-ups with Superior Preference. But please note that I rarely heat-style and I do believe this preserves the condition of my hair well.

I am very happy with Superior Preference and will continue to buy it.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2008 9:25:00 AM More reviews by lillyntally

I bought Dark Auburn (4R) The color looks very natural (was afraid it would come out purple or something!!) The smell was god awful, but that's what you get with permanent dyes. I'm glad I bought this brand. It covered my grays in the front and looks very pretty!!! Would def buy again...

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2008 10:42:00 PM More reviews by magginine

i've used different shades of light, medium and dark brown in this but my fave shade is 53, the one featuring Eva Longoria now in the ad. it's a very rich amber/reddish brown. i have used other products including excellence cream, garnier nutrisse, belle color, nice and easy and clairol l'image. i have to color every 3 weeks due to the amount of gray in my hair and i have found that this covers gray the best out of all of them. it also lasts a long time without fading off. it could be a little gentler on the hair but the conditioner is a good one. the mixture is on the runny side as opposed to creamy so you have to watch out for mess. but for the gray coverage and richness of shade 53 i'd give this a thumbs up.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2008 1:02:00 AM More reviews by beautyblitz

This works very well and lasts months if you use to color glaze in the shower a few times a week. The one I find that works the best is Sunsilk for nonhighlighted color treated brunettes. But if you don't use a glaze I definitely notice that it fades quickly and becomes brassy.