Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15

(Natural Beige, Soft Porcelain): Mica, Pearl Powder. ( /-): CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77947 (Zinc Oxide), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides). (Real Sand, Tender Rose, Rich Vanilla, Classic Beige, Pure Honey, Warm Bronze): Active Ingredient – Zinc Oxide. Ingredient: Pearl Powder. May Contain ( /-): Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 5/27/2011 1:01:00 AM

The BEST mineral makeup out there imo and I have tried them all. I apply with a flocked sponge and get beautiful coverage. Feels like light on the skin and looks good in all lighting. Doesn't cake or turn my skin oily. I've been using this for years and am now on my third jar.

I had high expectation on this foundation, and I wish it could work for me. Back then when I first started to wear makeup, I heard so many good things about this foundation. How quick and easy it is, how you can swirl it on and call a day and how it is not as harmful and a burden to the skin as other foundations.Sadly, this foundation just does not live up to the rave on me. First, there is not a perfect shade for me. Tendre rose is pink-undertone, too orangy for me; soft procelain and real sand are yellow-undertone, which is more flattering, but one being too pale and one being too tan. Second, I can't get an even finish out of it. I've tried it with numerous brushes, including LM's own mineral powder brush, MAC kabuki and a few other flat -top/kabuki brushes, none have worked for me. I think it might be my skin type, coz I have quite dry sky, so the buffing motion to apply this foundation caused micro-exfoliation which makes the foundation flakey and cakey. Third, the foundation is not long-lasting. I don't know, after 3-4 hours, it gradually disappears (no idea where it went) and at the end of the day when I look at myself in the mirror I feel I'm completely naked-face.

Overall, I have to say i hate this foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I own the shade Classic Beige in this holy grail mineral foundation!

While it is too dark right now, I only need a teeny tiny bit to smooth over the bits of redness in my skin.

Now, I've tried every single department store foundation. While I have a few favorites, I keep coming back to this particular product because it looks natural and seamless. I'm only 21 and do not wear foundation unless I'm going out. Because of the pearl powder, the foundation enhances my natural luminosity and provides a healthy and radient finish, which is priceless for over-worked college students.

I've tried bare minerals in the past and had a reaction, but never with LM mineral powder. The sifter is a life-saver, too, when travelling!

My only word of caution is that those with overly oily skin should avoid this product as it will oxidize. If you still want to brave a go, perhaps go one shade down so that the eventual oxidization would even out your skin and look natural instead of orange or too dark. Likewise, those with dry skin would prefer liquid products anyway, but if you use a brush similar to the LM mineral foundation one, the powder finishes to a lovely cream. And while those like Gossmakeup artist hates the micro-exfoliation that powder application provides, it is actually beneficial to exfoliate dry skin a little bit everyday as that will reduce the patchiness and force skin regeneration and smoothness.

For everyone else, a kabuki will be easier and faster with more coverage, while a large fluffy brush is idea for those not wanting too much coverage.

Final notes are that I love this product and will hopefully love it for the very long time the powder remains (seriously, it feels like I'll work through this tub forever!). Value for money? We'll see!

on 5/12/2011 3:32:00 PM

Great great powder! As I've said in my other reviews, I love trying new products so I usually never use the entire thing, because I'm off trying something else. However, I def used all of this powder up!
I will say, I love a lot of coverage so I do use this over a little foundation sometimes, and it is amazing! However, even if you use it by itself, it's great coverage...makes you look just flawless!

I usually have a few options on hand, so I when I ran out of this, I started using my Makeup Forever powder, and I still didn't like it compared to this one. I'm just really impressed with Laura Mercier's products, and if you knew me, its a big deal for me to say that! haha

on 5/8/2011 12:56:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I was hesitant to buy this because I have never tried a mineral powder and heard they can make try patches look worse, but this was not the case with this AMAZING powder. I have combination skin, so I'm either really dry, or oily...but this powder just....melts into my skin and gives me a natural glow. I can use it alone with some concealer on days i don't need much coverage, or I use it on top of my foundation and it gives a FLAWLESS airbrushed look. Which for me is a big deal since, I deal with acne and redness. Its a bit expensive, but it is worth it.

on 5/6/2011 3:02:00 AM

I'm a big fan of Laura Mercier foundations, and after using worshiping her liquid foundations for the last few years, I was very curious to try out her mineral foundation!
Unfortunately, this did not work for my oily skin, especially given the hot, humid weather in Malaysia, the mineral foundation basically just slid off within the 1st hour under the direct heat...
This foundation has a very natural looking finish, hence it gives light-medium coverage..The first time, I was matched to Real Sand shade, which had a more yellow undertone, but the second time I went to another LM counter, they said Tender Rose (with more pink undertones) matched me well, too, which was the shade I ended picking up. I do encounter some redness on my cheeks, and regret not picking up Real Sand instead, to counteract the redness...
However, what disappoints me most is the wear time of this foundation...
Sometimes, I pair it with the LM regular primer, and it lasts just a tad longer..and I usually set this with my MAC mineralize skinfinish powder in Light-Medium, since the foundation itself is not as high coverage as I would like it to be.

on 4/27/2011 9:03:00 PM

I've been using this product for over a year now, since my beloved Prescriptives are no more. I have very pale skin and have found Tender Rose a good match to my skin tone. I like that I can build up my foundation, less during the day and more at night. Perhaps the most unexpected thing is the cost effectiveness of the product. My first pot lasted almost a year with near daily use.

on 4/26/2011 10:40:00 AM

I loved the way this looked on my skin. Nautral but medium coverage. Unfortunately after 3 days I got those nasty cystic pimples on my cheeks! Only on my cheeks, have been using the same blush that I've used for years, guess because my pores are bigger on my cheeks? Afraid to use just on the sides of my face...bound to get some on my cheeks so back to EL until I find something better. Never get break out with EL.

on 4/26/2011 9:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Okay, my first review here on MUA!
After reading so many good reviews on this product, I decided to try it out when I went to the UK, since Laura Mercier is only carried in two select stores here in Germany (a shame!)
I had high hopes for this product and almost expected to get them disappointed but no! - this is the best Mineral Powder I have tried so far.
My skin is quite fair, oily, acne-prone but sometimes with dry patches on my chin from my acne treatment.
Ususally, a foundation either is too dark for me, doesn't work on my oily skin or works on my oily skin but makes dry patches more visible.
I wear the shade Soft Porcelain and I'm amazed to say it is a pretty decent match, although a bit light for summer, with neutral undertones and it does not change colour one bit when worn!
For all you fair-skinned individuals out there: It is really pretty light and should suit even the lightest skintones!

Pros:
+ Does not look powdery, unless perhaps if you layer too much.
+ It has the fabled "glow" that is not obviously shimmery, just right
+ Provides medium coverage and can be used to spot-conceal
+ It is naturally looking and blends in with my skin
+ The staying-power is decent

Cons:
- If I build it up too much, it looks too shiny on my oily skin
- The shade selection could be improved. Now in the summer, I need to mix Soft Porcelain with a different Mineral Powder as Real Sand would be too dark.
- Price, obviously...

I apply it with a large powder brush and it works better than applying it with the F80 from Sigma, it gives a more natural result.
It can also be mixed with moisturizer to make a custom-blend tinted moisturizer.
If I can figure out how to get it here, I will certainly repurchase!

Update:
I unfortunately had to discontinue using this! I usually have my acne under control for most of the time, meaning just occasional spots here and there. After about 10 days of using this, I was breaking out everywhere, some smaller and some deeper zits and in areas where I never break out! I'm not usually fast to say: this and that breaks me out. But this is too much break-out for coinsidence.
I still LOVE the finish and I recommend it to anyone who is not break-out prone.
I have since moved on to a Mineral powder without Bismuth Oxychloride in it and I haven't had a spot since, so I suspect that ingredient.

on 4/25/2011 1:36:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I don't understand the rave reviews for this product. Where is the "glow" that others speak of? Upon application, it looks like any other powder foundation. It gives light to barely medium coverage - and that's when applied with a dense, kabuki brush. It looks powdery no matter how little I apply. I've been using this daily for a few weeks, so I've had more than enough time to experiment with it. I have very good skin to begin with and this doesn't make it look better. For a $40 powder, I expect extraordinary results and this isn't it. The Maybelline PureStay Powder Foundation gives better coverage and a natural finish for only $8.