Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15

(Natural Beige, Soft Porcelain): Mica, Pearl Powder. ( /-): CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77947 (Zinc Oxide), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides). (Real Sand, Tender Rose, Rich Vanilla, Classic Beige, Pure Honey, Warm Bronze): Active Ingredient – Zinc Oxide. Ingredient: Pearl Powder. May Contain ( /-): Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 6/16/2011 11:02:00 AM

Because I'm so fickle when it comes to cosmetic products, it's a rarity I can call anything a holy grail item. But it would be a disgrace to Laura Mercier if I didn't categorize this loose powder of hers as such - it is THAT good.

My fair to medium skin, NC25, is quite yellow toned (and a perfect match to Real Sand), and combination to oily (and where I do get oily, it's a bad situation). During the humid heat waves of summer in my southern Ontario city, I need a powder that will stay put and protect my base despite constant blotting. This is that powder.

I love that there are very few ingredients in this. I love that it's a mineral powder. I hate that it can get messy, but I love the sifter, so I can somewhat control how much powder comes out when I tip it over. But most of all, I love that I can wear this over my liquid foundation as a setting powder, as well as on its own - and STILL have decent coverage.

Sure, it's a little pricey, but it's so worth it, as a little goes a long way and there's a lot of product in the container. Definitely not the most travel friendly thing out there, but it's such an important part of my regimen that I will gladly Scotch tape this baby and stick it in a Ziploc just to keep it safe and with me wherever I may travel.

on 6/15/2011 4:39:00 PM

This powder gives me a natural look. It doesn't provide much coverage, it just kind of evens out your skin tone which for me is enough for an everyday makeup. On me, it looks luminous but flash photography makes it look shiny. The shade I am using is Tender Rose which I think will be too dark in the winter. It is quick and easy to apply, but it would be good if the jar was a little deeper so that when I swirl a brush in it, no powder spills over the edge. I have been using it every day for about 3 months and there is still heaps left in the jar. I suspect it may oxidise a little but can't be sure, if it does the colour still looks OK on me. The twisty opener (for want of a better term) on the inside of the jar is kind of annoying and makes it tricky to get product evenly onto the brush. Will buy again though.

on 6/8/2011 4:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have been wearing this product for years now. It is the only product thus far that matches my skin tone to a T. I wear the color Pure Honey and it blends in perfectly (for reference my closest match is NC44). Pure Honey provides a "glowy" effect, but does not have any shimmer. The packaging is also fantastic as the sifter can close and will prevent too much product from escaping the holes. Great for travel. As long as I don't get any lighter, or darker, I will continue to purchase this product. The SPF is an added bonus to an overall amazing mineral powder.

on 6/7/2011 3:10:00 PM

I should start off by saying that this is the only mineral foundation i have ever tried so i don't have any experience of similar products to compare this to.

I have this foundation in 'Real Sand' and it matches my skin very well, I am around MAC NC20 Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua B20 for reference. The range of colours is limited however so I would think a lot of people would have difficulty finding a match.

First of all the packaging, this comes in a little plastic container with a sifter that can be moved round to allow the product to be shaken out or which can be 'locked' to stop product falling out and making a mess. I don't have any problems with the packaging. It is small enough to fit into my makeup bag and come to work with me and there is no mess, assuming you remember to move the lid around to keep the product in (which i have forgotten to do a few times!).

When i tried this on in store the MUA applied the Laura Mercier Mineral foundation primer before applying the powder foundation. However, given the price i did not buy the primer. I have tried this foundation with several primers that i already had (Clinique pore minimiser and Cargo Face Activating primer) and it works beautifully with both so i'm not sure there is any need to splash out on the LM primer.

I apply this foundation with a dense powder brush. I tip a little of the powder into the lid and apply it to my face in swirling motions. I like the finish it gives. It is not too powdery and gives a natural looking and even finish. It also gives a bit of a glow to the face. It gives surprisingly good coverage and you can build this up from light/medium to more full coverage depending on your preference. I use my Clinique airbrush concealer and / or Laura Mercier Secret Camoflage on top and both of these products work well with this foundation. I also have to say that this is the easiest foundation to use i have ever had, i can literally apply this with my eyes closed and it will look good.

While there is nothing in particular i can fault this foundation for i am not in love with it. I do think the finish of liquid foundation is superior to this. Although this gives a 'glow' it does not give quite give me the beautiful skin that i get from MAC Face and Body or Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. I also don't like the fact that i can't use liquid or cream blush with it.

Having said that i do like this foundation. I will definitely use it up and may even repurchase. If you like mineral foundation this is definitely worth trying and it is a lovely (if somewhat expensive) product to own.

on 6/6/2011 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I absolutely love the LM Mineral Powder SPF 15. I think it is my HG foundation. It really does beat all of my other foundations, whether it's Chanel, Dior, Guerlain or Giorgio Armani... For me, I know that this won't clog my pores or make me breakout. I don't have to worry about the ingredients that are in it either.

In comparison to the Bare Minerals Veil, I think that the LM Mineral powder blends much nicely and looks more luminous, fresh and is beautiful on the skin. The Bare Minerals I think is less natural, accentuates dryness and pores a lot more and tends to crease and show laughing lines. I do think the LM does show the laugh lines as well, but you could easily smooth it out with your fingers and it would be fine. and I think I have that problem with all foundations anyway.

When I first tried the LM Mineral powder at the LM counter, I didn't like it at first, I was afraid it looked too powdery as the makeup artist put quite a lot of product on at first, but it seriously melted into my skin.. brightened and looked absolutely stunning after 30 mins - an hour. I had even taken a little nap in the afternoon and my boyfriend said my skin looked radiant and beautiful.

A little background of my skintype. I have dry and super sensitive skin and that wasn't always the case, it has just been that way for about 2 years. And I suffered from acne for a year and a half, and thought I'm still trying to clear up my scaring from it, I don't feel the need to cake on concealer or lots of foundation to cover it up. Instead using the LM mineral powder makes me better about myself (I had not used any foundations beforehand for about 4-5months) and it really puts me at ease to know that my skin will never get irritated from the product, it won't clog my pores and make me break out. I will never regret buying this product, and I will buy it over and over again for many years to come.

I really recommend this product to those who are struggling with acne or any other type of skin problems that should steer clear from regular liquid foundations but still would like to have quite a made-up face. Or just anyone who is wanting to try mineral foundation. You really can't beat this one. I absolutely adore it!

I was never a fan of mineral makeup, and never would have used it if my esthetician had not advised me to start!
I bought a Bare Escentuals starter kit, and could not seem to get a good match, plus it made my skin look dry and dull. I also tried Jane Iredale and found it too matte also.
I was so glad to find Laura Mercier's powder! I got a great match for my skin tone, and it makes my skin look radiant! I am also noticing that my skin does not look oily at the end of the day.
Yay!

on 6/3/2011 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

The first time I tried this on my face, it didn't look too bad but maybe it was just the lighting. However, the texture is much better than that of Bare Minerals. I bought the powder in a shade too dark so when I went back to swatch a few on my arm, I realized how shimmery it was. I thought maybe the testers were contaminated or something, so I exchanged mine for a shade lighter and went on my way.

After a couple of weeks now, I keep noticing how oily and shiny my face looks. I thought maybe my skin was acting up, but it turns out that the powder actually IS shimmery. Try swatching it on yourself and you will see. I returned it immediately. I don't need anything to add to my oily skin, especially if the coverage is mediocre.

on 5/31/2011 2:12:00 PM

Mineral foundation is the one that's the best suited for my skin type, so I tried LM's version a few months ago hoping that it would be a good substitute for Bare Escentuals (BE was too irritating and it broke out my skin). The initial results were promising, but the product did not provide sufficient coverage, the glow quickly turned into an oily, shiny look by the afternoon, and once the oilies hit, the product oxidized and developed an orange cast. It was, unfortunately, a no-go. The light-to-medium coverage wasn't enough, and it simply didn't survive my tendency toward T-zone shininess (and I'm not a true oily skin type; I'm combination at best). At least I didn't suffer irritation or breakouts when using the foundation and setting powder. For the price, though, it needs to deliver on all fronts. I'm using Faerie Organic now, and it gives me the coverage and staying power I need for a much cheaper price. Would not re-purchase, as comparable and superior products are available at a much more affordable price.

on 5/30/2011 7:32:00 PM

Edit: I can't believe I ever gave this three lippies!! Down grading to one. My skin hurts and is depressed. I'm giving the obsession with mineral powders the flick and just accepting that they aren't meant for people with dry skin, EVER. If you've got dry skin, be kind to yourself and use the appropriate foundation - ie a moisturising liquid, not a powder. Full stop.

I bought this product to take travelling and was happy with it for the first month or two when I was only using it about once a week.Since coming back from overseas I have been using it everyday to wear to work and have noticed how unhappy it makes my skin look! I don't glow anymore :(

This product it making my skin dry and dull. My poor face looks like I've aged 5 years and not just when I am wearing the product either - the powder really dries it out, and even though I have started using a serum and night cream I still find my skin just looks dull. Seeing as I'm only 23, I avoid the sun, wear sunscreen, drink lots of water and generally take pretty good care of my face, it's so disappointing to find the life sucked out of skin!

I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone I love, nor would I buy it again. If you're looking for a good mineral foundation for sensitive skin, try Philosophy Supernatural Airbrush Canvas - I'll be buying it again as soon as I ditch this one.

on 5/27/2011 1:01:00 AM

The BEST mineral makeup out there imo and I have tried them all. I apply with a flocked sponge and get beautiful coverage. Feels like light on the skin and looks good in all lighting. Doesn't cake or turn my skin oily. I've been using this for years and am now on my third jar.