December 22, 2014 | 1825 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2007 4:27:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recently started trying Merle Norman products again after not even thinking of this brand since the late 70's early 80's. I always thought of it as gaudy, dated makeup. After falling in love with the cream eyeliners I began to get curious about other products and I decided to try this on a lark. I normally really do not like mineral makeup. I have tried many from BE, to JI to Alima and none of them looked good on me except for Janes from the drugstore. From crater like pores to a shiney glowy alien appearance to bringing out lines and wrinkles I never knew I had I gave up on mineral makeup. I got this off of ebay since I am not near a store and I can't believe how much I love it. While I still prefer liquid makeup, this is a really great option for me when I am in a hurry and don't have time to fuss. I use shade L20 which is the lightest shade and as an NW20 it works perfectly for me. I always moisturize well before I apply, and this never dries my skin out. It just evens my skin out and does not look like I'm wearing makeup. It lasts throughout the day too. The ingredients listed are Mica, Zinc Oxide,Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides. The finish is not flat or matte but it's not super glowy like the BE was on me. It is just right, very natural looking and I am extremely pleased with this! I believe it is $25 for 1/2 ounce/14g. The jar is huge and this is definitely going to last me forever but I would repurchase if I ever ran out.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/8/2007 11:31:00 AM More reviews by peacefulheart

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I really wanted to like this and had such high hopes after reading the reviews. I rushed down to the closest Merle Norman and grabbed the last one in the L20-which is the lightest shade. I was told all shades had flown off the shelves and there was a temporary outage of the product. Used it this morning and it just does not work on me-extreme PPP, 52 menopausal skin. It is too peachy and a bit dry looking on me. I had tried the tester on my wrist and thought it would work. But it just does not on my face. To its credit, it did not make pores more noticeable. But, I have found that Cover Girl Smoothers Tinted Moisture in fair to light is the best thing for me after having tried everything there is. I had reviewed it a few years back and I cannot recall why I stopped using it, and recently looked for it and could not find. Luckily I looked the other day at CVS and I found it-$8.99-new packaging-I grabbed it and had worn it yesterday, and looked fabulous, before trying the Merle Norman. So, the Merle Norman is going back today, and I am very happy with Cover Girl for now.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2007 11:12:00 PM More reviews by Tesann

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was very skeptical, but went in the store and tried it. Right away I loved it. I purchased it and the brush and love it! I am so glad that I found it. I will buy it again for sure!

UPDATE: I have now tried three other mineral foundation and this is by far the best. It is so smooth! The Bare Essential does not go on my skin smooth it looks spotty and dark. I will only use Luxiva.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2007 9:33:00 AM More reviews by amyl715

Just saw this on the shelf the other day and about had a stroke! I LOVE mineral makeup and have been using Bare Escentuals with good results but don't really care for the glittery look it gave me, not to mention the huge pores (and I normally don't have visible pores!) Anyway, tried this and loved it. Like the texture, the coverage, and the fact that it didn't look as shiny as Bare Escentuals. My only complaint was that since this is a brand new product, they haven't come out with a wide range of colors. Since I'm presently tanning in preperation for a cruise, none of these colors worked for me. I've decided to use up my Bare Escentuals while I'm tan and when I get back from the cruise and start getting paler, I'm heading to Merle to grab this stuff up!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2007 8:17:00 PM More reviews by tommicat10

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've tried different mineral makeup brands and haven't had the best of luck. Bare Minerals and Sheer Cover(among others) looked awful on me, partly because of color selection but mostly because of their formulas. They really irritated my Rosacea and my large pores looked even bigger. I tried Loreal Bare Naturale and my skin looked too pale and chalky and the coverage didn't last. Sometimes Everyday Minerals worked and but most days my large pores looked huge. Coverage was always an issue. I thought maybe minerals just weren't for me. But, lately, I've been on a search to give minerals another chance and have been ordering samples from different companies. Then, I read Minxgirl's review on Meryl Norman's brand new mineral makeup. Since I LOVE the quality of MN's products, I gave it a try. I've worn it all day and so far so good. I got lot's of compliments on my skin today. I bought L20, the lightest shade and it works really well for my very light skin. It hides the Rosacea extremely well and doesn't cause any irritation(on me). My pores aren't screaming for attention, either. I paid $25.00 for a very generous amount and also bought their kabuki brush for $12.00(another review). I've got my fingers crossed for this one!! So far, I think the quality of this makeup is wonderful. I'm not saying there aren't some other great brands out there. Different formulas work for different people. But if you have Rosacea or are just interested in a really good mineral makeup, give this one a shot. As with all MN products you try before you buy and you have 30 days to bring it back if you don't like it.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2007 5:11:00 PM More reviews by minxgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just when I thought Merle Norman would never come out with a mineral foundation, well, they just did!!! I almost passed out when I saw it on the shelf-I couldn't believe my eyes!!! Where to begin??? Let me start off by saying that I have spent tons of money & effort trying several mineral foundations: Bare Escentuals=terrible color selection-I'm a PPP and even the lightest shade 'Fair' was too orange; made my pores insanely huge, gave me that dreaded 70's 'disco-ball' look (*not* attractive at all) & made my skin itch; Philosophy: again, terrible color selection, hardly any coverage, 'slid' off of my face within 5 minutes (and I really don't have oily skin); made my face look like an oil slick and way too expensive for the small amount you get ($35 for a tiny 0.32 oz jar). I've also tried Everyday minerals, but had problems with coverage, pore size, shinniness, etc etc. Now on to the star of the show: I don't know how Merle Norman did it, but their mineral foundation puts all others in thier graves!! The shade I chose(L20), which is the lightest shade, is an absolutely *perfect* match for my PPP complexion. It looks peach-toned in the container, but once I apply it, it goes on lighter (slightly yellow based)-with no orange, pink, brown, red, or ashiness-the shade is just perfect. When I've worn other mineral makeup in the past (ie: b.e.) I would always have to wear a mineral veil on top; *not* with the Merle Norman foundation. You do get a healthy glow, but without the glitter & shinniness & I can honestly say that this foundation stays put & the coverage is excellent; also, your pores will not stick out like a sore thumb. The packaging is nice: a generous .50 oz round container that has holes, so you won't have to worry about it dumping out all over your bathroom. The application technique is still the sames as w/ other mineral m/u: pour a small amount into the lid, swirl, tap & buff; you can apply more as needed to acheive your desired coverage. The other thing that I also wanted to add is that if you have issues with the ingredient bismuth-oxychloride' like I've had (itchiness) in other mineral make-up then this foundation would be an excellent choice, as it does not contain b.i.; the Luxiva mineral m/u contains only 4 ingredients: mica, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and iron oxides. Price wise, I paid only $25; the amount of product you get is very generous, so 1 container will last me forever. I *highly* recommend this new foundation-love, love, love!!!!!! I'm also crossing my fingers that Merle Norman comes out with mineral blushes & eyeshadows!!

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No