August 28, 2014 | 1997 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by CiaoBella82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have some post acne marks and some blemishes so this covers them very well with a really good full coverage concealer. I like the fact that little is only needed to cover what I dont want to be seen. Its very smooth and easy to use my foundation brush. If I want a matte finish I use the MUFE HD finishing power but if theres day a I want a little glow I can to that. Dont not make me break me out at all and I love that its OIl Free too. Cant wait to use my new stippling brush with this founation! I will but this again!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/26/2013 12:41:00 PM More reviews by chippyx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Packaging is great, and excellent for travelling. However the foundation itself is not up to scratch. Heard so many great reviews about this foundation that I rushed out and bought it when I was in New York. It doesn't control oil, it's hard to blend and the consistency is quite dry. It's far too expensive for what it is (although the shade was perfect for my skin tone). I was expecting a lot more from this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by ericarachel77

i'm so bummed.....this stuff was SO AMAZING at first. it made my face look flawless, covered my blemishes and uneven skin tone WITHOUT concealer. i was extremely satisfied....until i noticed it made me breakout :(

i would highly recommend this foundation to anyone who is looking for medium-full coverage with a matte finish, or to anyone with oily skin. this stuff is amazing. unfortunately my skin just did not agree with it. i gave it 4 out of 5 because i was SO SO SO SO SO satisfied with it until i noticed it started to break me out. i am going to switch to estee lauder double wear and see what happens.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2013 2:47:00 AM More reviews by khuang129

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favorite foundations so far. I've tried out many different kinds, including the MUF HD and Revlon Colorstay, but this one worked the best for me. My skin doesn't end up looking oily at the end of the day, and coverage is decent!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/22/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Iralavelle

i am 17 this year and have pimple scars on my face. i thought this product will be able to cover my dark pimple scars, but it didn't .. this is more to a medium coverage i must say . in Singapore , there is only four shades if im not wrong, or maybe more, not all. the Sephora lady color match me but i don't find it helpful as when i applied #35 on , it looks like as if i have a mask on . 10 minutes later .. it still looks the same .. somehow it doesn't oxidize on me . i trusted the Sephora girl, my conscience was right to take shade #40 instead of #35 . after wearing this product, it feels tacky... i am definitely not going to buy this product anymore. it is disappointing ): it cost SGD69 in Singapore sephora

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by AntiqueGlitter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Although this is a mattifying foundation that targets oily skin, I don't find that this foundation is very oil-controlling. I have normal skin that tends to get a tiny bit oily at the end of the day with primer and non-matte foundation on. But since this is matte, I expected my face to be matte for most of the day.
Well, I had to lightly blot with MSFN twice (70-ish degrees), but it's not a big deal. For the most part, it lasted 6 hours, with primer.
I read a number of other reviews here on this product, and I have a few things to say:
1. Those with oily skin should use a primer and powder to prolong this foundation and stay matte all day.
2. If you have dry skin, stay away! It pisses me off that people are actually blaming the FOUNDATION for accentuating their dry skin! I hate to be rude, but jeez--what are you? 10? Almost all face makeup, regardless of finish, will accentuate dry skin! Matte foundations will only accentuate it even more! Exfoliate, moisturize, avoid matte finishes, and stop lowering ratings by wrongfully blaming the foundation for your own faults!
That said, I find that this foundation is best for normal, combo, and semi-oily skin, although if you have oily skin you can probably get away with it if you wear primer and powder, like I stated previously. Those with very oily skin should stay away; those with dry skin should definitely stay away.
Regarding the coverage, this foundation offers medium-to-full coverage, although you can definitely build it up to somewhat of a full coverage. It's not heavy enough to cover dark circles or very dark spots, but it will cover redness, dark marks, and acne, all the while evening out your skin tone.
At least, that's the coverage that I get with my fingers and my MAC 190 brush. If you want lighter coverage, apply it with a damp sponge (i.e. Beauty Blender). You have to work fast because it dries quickly. Once it dries, though, you have a flawless matte finish that looks great in person and in photography. I've heard of some people using this as their go-to foundation for photos, but I prefer MUFE HD for that purpose--that's just me, though.
#35 Vanilla is a pretty good shade match (I'm NC35, NARS SG Stromboli, and MUFE HD 128 but a mix of 1 part 127 and 2 parts 153 is a better match). I've also tried #30 Porcelain, #40 Natural Beige, #45 Soft Beige, and #50 Sand. #30 would be NC25-30 if it weren't for its beige undertones, #40 is NC25-30, #45 would be NW37 or NW35-40 if it weren't for its beige-pink undertones, and #50 is NW30-35. I've also swatched #55 Neutral Beige and it seems like NC40-45, except it appears to have somewhat warm peachy undertones.
At $36 for a 1.01 oz. tube, I think the price is fair. Usually foundations run for around at least $40, so you get a sizable amount for a decent price. Not bad at all.
Would I repurchase? No. I have better foundations.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2013 10:05:00 AM More reviews by 1CupcakeJunkie

When i went in Sephora one day the SA matched me with 35. It looked good in the store and when i got to my car and looked in the sun i was mortified. You could see the line from skin to makeup. I was embarrassed because i was going back to work and i didnt have any supplies to fix it. I rubbed it all off which is bad for me because i have bad scars. I went home and played around and THOUGHT it was a decent match and went back and forth between this and Kat Von D(which i returned) and MAC foundations. I have sinced tried the color shade 30 and it matches me waaaaaay better. I thought it was product and i didnt feel like i would buy again but the color was off. It does leave a somewhat matte look and i can say as of right now it will do. I like the tube it comes in as well. I have yet to find my HG foundation though : (

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2013 8:15:00 AM More reviews by ashleytreece

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have very pale skin and this is one of the very few foundations I've found that's light enough, so I'll buy it again for that factor alone unless other brands start putting out lighter shades. I do love the super matte finish, however I apparently have dry skin on my forehead, cheeks and nose and this really makes dry flakes stand out like crazy. With good exfoliation and a great moisturizer, though, this stuff has worked great for me! Just make sure, of course, to wash your face really well before bed. The few times I got lazy and slept with it on, I woke up with the worst dry patches ever. The coverage is good, but you'll still need concealer for any blemishes. I like that I don't have to worry about knocking over a glass bottle or dealing with a defective pump with the simple packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/6/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Querida

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I wanted so much to love this. I live in a tropical country with high humidity so I need a longlasting liquid foundation and I was getting bored with my Estee Lauder Double Wear, so I decided to shop around for a new liquid foundation. Oh, how I wished I didn't stray!

The Mat Velvet + comes in a small, plastic, squeeze bottle and it is handy for travel. It DOES last long. It held up through a 10hr work day and covers VERY WELL. And that's were the fun stops.

I got a major breakout from it. My skin is oily and acne-prone and sensitive. I made sure I cleanse thoroughly (as is my habit, anyway) every day but after a few days....I noticed new spots coming out. And they are the annoying 'under the skin' and red sort of bumps. I did a series of elimination processes (as I was trying out a few things at that time) and I zeroed it down to the Mat Velvet +. :(

I stopped using the Mat Velvet +. Pity it didn't work for me. But I am sure someone else with less sensitive skin would love it if they are looking for a longlasting foundation with plenty of coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 2:26:00 PM More reviews by jilltaylor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of my all time favorite foundations. I don't find that it mattifies particularly well but I have yet to find anything that can combat my oily t zone. I mostly like it because the shade is a perfect match for my skin and it blends very well. It also had a good build-ability factor. It gives me that no makeup look, or can be built up for a heavier look. I like it for being a good foundation, not necessarily the matte effect. Definite repurchase.