July 31, 2014 | 2051 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2013 8:15:00 AM More reviews by ashleytreece

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have very pale skin and this is one of the very few foundations I've found that's light enough, so I'll buy it again for that factor alone unless other brands start putting out lighter shades. I do love the super matte finish, however I apparently have dry skin on my forehead, cheeks and nose and this really makes dry flakes stand out like crazy. With good exfoliation and a great moisturizer, though, this stuff has worked great for me! Just make sure, of course, to wash your face really well before bed. The few times I got lazy and slept with it on, I woke up with the worst dry patches ever. The coverage is good, but you'll still need concealer for any blemishes. I like that I don't have to worry about knocking over a glass bottle or dealing with a defective pump with the simple packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/6/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Querida

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I wanted so much to love this. I live in a tropical country with high humidity so I need a longlasting liquid foundation and I was getting bored with my Estee Lauder Double Wear, so I decided to shop around for a new liquid foundation. Oh, how I wished I didn't stray!

The Mat Velvet + comes in a small, plastic, squeeze bottle and it is handy for travel. It DOES last long. It held up through a 10hr work day and covers VERY WELL. And that's were the fun stops.

I got a major breakout from it. My skin is oily and acne-prone and sensitive. I made sure I cleanse thoroughly (as is my habit, anyway) every day but after a few days....I noticed new spots coming out. And they are the annoying 'under the skin' and red sort of bumps. I did a series of elimination processes (as I was trying out a few things at that time) and I zeroed it down to the Mat Velvet +. :(

I stopped using the Mat Velvet +. Pity it didn't work for me. But I am sure someone else with less sensitive skin would love it if they are looking for a longlasting foundation with plenty of coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 2:26:00 PM More reviews by jilltaylor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of my all time favorite foundations. I don't find that it mattifies particularly well but I have yet to find anything that can combat my oily t zone. I mostly like it because the shade is a perfect match for my skin and it blends very well. It also had a good build-ability factor. It gives me that no makeup look, or can be built up for a heavier look. I like it for being a good foundation, not necessarily the matte effect. Definite repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/29/2012 7:23:00 PM More reviews by blueroses2525

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This foundation has a nice texture and blends smoothly, but the colors, in my opinion, look unnatural and tend to darken with wear. The staying power is so-so -- by the end of the day, it's mostly gone. There are better options in this price range.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/24/2012 1:08:00 AM More reviews by Stephaniejeann

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

To start with, I commend Make Up Forever for the wonderful packaging on this product. I can get the perfect amount of product every time I use it. I found a shade that is almost an exact match to my skin (#25), without much hassle like I've experienced with other foundations. As for mattifying my skin, it does stay matte for about four hours and then my face is oily again. I don't mind though because I've experienced this with every foundation I've tried. It doesn't oxidize on me, which is something I've also had trouble with when I used other foundations. Maybe it would stay matte longer if I set it with some powder, but usually I'm in such a hurry that I can't be bothered. This foundation blends very nicely (I use Sephora's Pro Flawless Airbrush #56), and I find the coverage to be medium to full. I personally don't find that the coverage is easily buildable for me at least, it looks very cakey when I try to build it up. I gave this product four stars because it works for me, but it still has some disadvantages. I can deal with some oil as long as the foundation matches my skin nicely and blends beautifully, but depending on how oily your skin is, it may not work at all for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/22/2012 11:12:00 PM More reviews by doris98

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried it and didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. I'm in the shade 120, and it was a pretty good match. HOWEVER, after only 20 minutes, I was an oompah-loompah orange, without primer. With primer, it lasted 2 hours before I was orange again. It was also too matte for me. Staying power was ok however, hence the not so low rating. I know a lot of people like it, but it wasn't for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2012 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Poikal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been lurking makeupalley for EVER (2 years) trying to find foundations concealers and skincare items for my delicate and sensitive skin. Little background, i have used every chanel foundation, bobbi brown, laura mercer, cle de peau, lancome and i still love this one =. i have had moderate to bad acne in my teen years and i have almost perfect skin right now but still have red marks all over from previous picking and scarring etc. I have been using mat plus for ever and it has not broken me out in the 2 years i have used it and it keeps my whole face matte with the exception of my nose but i use white clay as a powder just for my nose and it stays totally matte all day and night. (just plain white clay used for masks) this might be too hardcore for some but i find id rather have a tight feeling on my nose than be a slippery oily mess.

for the people who say this sticks to dry spots just because it is wintertime i have found i have dry skin but i recommend wearing a serum or light gel moisturizer under the parts that are dry and there shouldn't be a problem.

overall this has been a staple for me i am in the colour #15. PS. i often mix my foundation with lancome's tent idole 24hr in 101 (i think? lightest colour) if i want my skin to look totally perfect (its a bit too much for daytime) and it stays put all night. hope this helps someone!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2012 11:33:00 PM More reviews by rrrrbravo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was really excited to try this product because of all the good things I have heard/read about it, and Make Up For Ever in general. I was totes let down though. It WAY accentuates the dry patches on my cheeks, and didn't mattify my T-zone at all. The only good thing about it was that shade 20 was perfect, and I really liked the packaging. I really need that full coverage look for my post-acne marks, but I found the coverage was just OK...I don't know WHY I even try to stray from my Estee Lauder DW. My mom even commented on how crappy my face looked compared to when I wear DW. That is and probably will always be my favorite.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2012 2:54:00 PM More reviews by xxkelsey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

A GUY in my office just told me my skin looks great today. That's what prompted me to write this review. I struggle with oily skin and I'm always looking for new products to help cope. I actually bought this stuff about a year ago and hated it. Thank goodness I put in in my train case instead of tossing it in the garbage. I gave it another shot a few weeks ago when I ran out of MUFE HD. This time I tried applying with a brush instead of my fingers.

I dot this all over my face, spray my brush (UD Optical Blurring) with UD All-Nighter Setting Spray, and blend away... I get the most flawless finish! After a little bit of concealer (Maybelline Age-Rewind), I set everything with MUFE Super Matte Loose Powder in their universal shade.

Yet again I've cut down on the blotting! Will continue to use this stuff for sure! For reference, I have been matched to NW25 at MAC (though felt it was slightly pink), MUFE HD in 125, and shade #40 in MUFE Mat Velvet Plus.

Hope this helps!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2012 12:24:00 AM More reviews by lindzmcm4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

If you have acne-prone, oily and scarred skin then I highly recommend this full coverage foundation. It lasts all day and after a couple hours and my natural oils start to come through I do not look greasy, but healthy! It looks natural and does not feel nearly as heavy as something like ELDW, which made me feel like I had a mask on. It blended out beautifully with my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. My only gripe is the price, but since it doesn't break me out and since I don't have to think about it once I apply it I will continue to repurchase. I also love that it does not contain SPF. Give it a try!!