July 29, 2014 | 1943 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2010 11:38:00 PM More reviews by PandaMoon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I came across using coconut oil when i subscribed to Lopsie's channel on Youtube. and i have to say that it's been very good to me. I mostly use it on the ends of my hair to hydrate them. I melt a little bit on my fingers and then comb it through with my fingers. No need to wash it out because its so light. The only thing is that it's not a miracle worker. I got severe skin damage 5 1/2 years ago from skin poisoning (no sunscreen go figure with a pasty butter ball like me) on my back and shoulders and It doesn't seem to really have much of an effect. I'm not sure if thats because i haven't been using it for very long or because its too light, but it works like a charm every were else. I've also heard that cooking with coconut oil helps you loose wight. Instead of using olive oil or butter use coconut oil. since it turns into a liquid at 76 degrees F. its easy to use!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2010 9:58:00 AM More reviews by pmakraki

It's the ONLY thing so far that has helped with the KP on my back arms.
I don't think I'll ever get rid of it completely but CO has helped sooo much I cannot believe it.
I'd like to take a jar and throw it to my dermatologist's head! So much money wasted, so many chemicals applied on my body and the answer was in my kitchen!
Love it also as a makeup remover.
As a body lotion
As a hair treatment

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2010 3:05:00 AM More reviews by ReeVee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i actually own only the virgin coconut oil but i have to say, i have turned into a believer. Although it does't work any miracles or wonders, it helped me with my breakouts and acne. I usually use this as a cleanser and then wash it out slightly with a regular cleanser. Then i use this as a moisturizer at night, since it doesn't sink into my skin quickly. I've also used this on my hair, and it did a pretty good job. And... after reading the reviews, I actually tried it out on my dog (makeupalley has made me do some crazy stuff), since he has dry skin. Surprisingly, it had worked well, especially in making his fur soft, too. So far, so good for me...and my dog.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2010 6:06:00 PM More reviews by PaleBrunette

I am a big fan of natural products and home made cosmetics. After a recent surgery left me with an ugly scar, I decided to skip the scar creams and just massage with coconut oil. In the process, I just kept massasing it into my whole body and it has recently become my favorite body moisturizer. The scar is still new and red, but it is flattening out and not as hard. I'm not sure if it's the oil or the massage that's working on the scar, but the rest of my skin is soft and moisturized. This makes an excellent choice for many applications.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2010 2:26:00 AM More reviews by iramasson

The coconut oil I use is not extra virgin but I assume it has similar benefits...I tried to use as a makeup remover. My skin felt very moisturized and soft but I broke out terribly straigt after. Now I use it as a body moisturizer. I must note that my body is in a bad state - I have patches of scabs of dry skin. While this oil moisturizes fine it is currently not enough to soothe my skin. Baby oil works a lot better right now. When my skin is averagely dry this oil is plenty...

What I don't like is that the oil hardens. You can still use it buy digging it out of the tub but then it does't melt evenly and while most of it has melted in my hand there still some cristalized pieces which fall out when you rub the oil on your legs for instance. I just find it harder to work with because I always have to pick up pieces not to stain my carpet.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2010 8:19:00 AM More reviews by PolkaDotGlam

EVCO is an amazing miracle - it has so many uses.

For cuts/scrapes, it speeds healing and takes away pain. It's much better than Neosporin.

As a hair conditioner, coat strands from 30 mintues to all night and wash out for wonderfully moisturized hair. Helps with static in the winter.

I use it to cut my Jergens naturals lotion. It would be a little too greasy on its own, but added to the Jergens makes a wonderful lotion that leaves me soft and helps with any redness. I think my decolette/chest area which has very delicate skin is also looking better.

At night it gloriously removes eye makeup and I also rub it on my face for about a minute or two before washing it off. Once a week, I add some granulated sugar to the EVCO and gently exfoliate my face before bed.

Wonderful for chapped, dry lips.

I buy it from Swansonvitamins online - I get their brand in a large, dark brown container for only $5.99. I'm already on my second tub and will have this as a permanent staple in my home.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2010 1:34:00 PM More reviews by slicedbread13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The EVCO I use is Garden of Life.It's 100% organic,non bleached pure,in a glass jar,which is better than plastic.A 16 oz jar of this cost me about $15...it may sound steep,but think of the money you will be saving...I've only used 1/4 of mine,which I use EVERYDAY,and I've had mine for over a year!

First,I wet my face,the towel dry lightly so my skin is damp,NOT totally dry (I believe the oil works best if your skin is damp.)I rub a bit in my palms and rub all over my face,lips too,once in the morning,and once before I go to bed.After I let the oil sit for a few minutes,I take a tissue and wipe it all off...that is how I clean my face!Afterwards,I put on my foundation,and it looks AWESOME!

Ladies,I turned 32 a few months ago,but when I TELL people how old,they are shocked! I don't have ANY lines on my face at all.I've been stopped by the cops speeding (they thought I was 16 until they saw my ID),a few times people thought I was 18,but mostly,people think I'm in my early to mid twenties,which is fine by me,LOL!

When I walk around with my 12 year old son,people think he's my little brother!And why?Because this is all I've been using to clean my face and moisturize for 3 years!Well,that and I eat VERY healthy and put ground flax seeds and flax seed oil in my smoothies!

I've never put it in my hair...I think that's fricken' sick.LOL!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2010 7:59:00 AM More reviews by harborgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

FOR HAIR: I have lots of fine, dry wavy/curly hair that needs moisture and gentle handling. I use EVCO as an overnight treatment on dry hair (wet strands prevent the oil from saturation - I read that somewhere in some highly technical article), using a couple drops and really smoothing it into ends and working it into mid-shaft. I found that 2 shampoos can still leave the ends feeling and looking a bit greasy, so I compensate with Oscar Blandi's dry shampoo (not the spray). One teeny, tiny so-little-you-almost-can't-see-it drop is perfect for taming flyaways and smoothing ends after styling. I've been using EVCO on my hair for a month and see a substantial difference - hair is shiny, smooth, incredibly soft, less breakage when combing, almost frizz-free, dullness is gone and overall, hair is easier to manage.

FACE: I have normal skin. I get a breakout every now and then but nothing major and I'm game to try anything. I stopped using jojoba oil a a pre cleanser and started using EVCO instead. I found EVCO works better - I use it as an eye makeup remover and honest to God, I think my lashes are growing. Neat.

Then I started using it as a moisturizer. I thought I was tricking myself into seeing the EVCO glow others mentioned, but my son looked at me the other morning when I was getting ready for work and said, "you look really pretty." I had nothing on my skin but EVCO, and was actually waiting for it to finish absorbing before using a primer. Awesome. The glow is unreal - it does exactly what I wanted Laura Mercier's illuminating tinted moisturizer to do - reflect light, minimizes imperfections, even out skin tone, etc. The EVCO makes me want to go bare faced and I am a foundation addict. I actually skipped liquid foundation twice this week and felt really good about it.

I haven't had any breakouts, and I've noticed my blackheads are shrinking. I'm not doing the heat/steam/EVCO thing, just using it as a precleanse, then with a drop mixed into my facial cleanser, and then as a moisturizer.

Last night I decided to see if jojoba oil had the same effect. Nope. No glow and in fact, I had to add more because it didn't have the same moisturizing effects as EVCO.

I stopped using anything else on my face - no more Caudalie, no eye creams, no serums, no more crap! The department stores are probably suffering a decline since I started using this, I was always searching for the next big thing in skin care.

BODY: I've been rubbing myself down with EVCO after every shower, and then got lazy the last couple days. My skin still feels amazing and moisturized. My skin feels silky-baby-soft and the keratosis pilaris on the backs of my arms are gone.

My son also has keratosis pilaris and his skin was looking great with just a couple applications but he actually doesn't like the smell of EVCO so he runs when he sees me coming with the jar. I'll have to bribe him.

My husband has feet that are incredibly dry ... he's tried OTC remedies and scrips from our Dr but nothing has worked permanently. Now I give him a little foot rub each evening and the difference is amazing. He's concerned it's a temporary fix but I remind him it's safer than anything else he's used and if he has to have a foot rub at night, what's the big deal?

DOG: Our dog has skin issues. I've tried everything on him, and nothing had worked. He scratches himself raw and now I rub him down with EVCO and I can see his coat growing in and the scratching has scaled back.

CAT: Our cat doesn't have any issues, but she likes to eat EVCO so I give her a little dab to snack on and rube the rest into her coat.

I haven't tried it for teeth whitening yet, but that's next on my list. I've been reading about oil pulling and I'm a little freaked about swishing EVCO in my mouth for 5 minutes nightly, but it's worth a shot. I drink coffee and diet soda and smoke, and hate shelling out $100+ for whitening treatments, so EVCO seems like a great alternative.

I paid $10.99 for my jar in the organic section of my grocery store, and it's worth every penny.

81 out of 81 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2010 9:13:00 AM More reviews by djsaphira

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I can't believe I forgot to review this. I've been using EVCO for a few months now, since I starting using Henna on my hair (which I need a separate review for, as that is amazing too!). Using this as a weekly deep treatment has definitely helped strengthen my fragile, baby-fine hair, and lessened my scalp dryness this past winter. It also works incredibly well as an emergency make-up remover, though I don't use it often as I made my own cleansing oil blend specifically for that purpose.
I also use EVCO as a hand/cuticle moisturizer, and for my super dry legs. My skin sucks this stuff up like water, which, since there are no parabens, chemicals, or other types of preservatives, makes me not mind reapplying so much.
Overall, a certain rebuy, if only for use on my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2010 11:48:00 PM More reviews by maddios

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love.
Hair: I'm working out the kinks of using this as a conditioning treatment, but I can tell you that for my curly/wavy hair it works great as a leave-in/defining product. I take a very, very small amount and apply to damp ends. When it dries, the curl is soft, shiny and bouncy.
Skin: Takes a while to sink in, but I usually just don't worry about it and throw my clothes on. It works so well for my keratosis pilaris, and it seems to even out my skin tone all over my body! It's so softening and it smells really nice.
Dog?: This is odd, but my dog was having issues with dandruff and extreme shedding. I tried giving him a massage once weekly with coconut oil and then washing with shampoo, in addition to giving him a little coconut oil supplement every day. (This is based on stuff I've read online, I didn't just start playing chemist with my puppy!) His shedding has gotten so much better, and his coat is shiny and no longer flakey. Also, his digestion is better!

My dog and I can finally share beauty products. What a happy, strange day.

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No