April 20, 2014 | 1001 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2009 7:50:00 PM More reviews by pertiegurlie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: Super informative article on the health benefits of c.o. I know this isn't a health site, it's makeup, but this is just for people who wanna know more:
Why am I even writing a review, it seems MUA already knows n luvs this.
This is awesome! It works great as a moisturizer (!!!!! absorbs, no bumpity-bumps, radiance!!!!!).
Also, I have this icky candyfloss hair.
So I use this regularly, every night, and wash off during the day-- it's made my hair so BOUNCY (like Afridi's when he's bowling) and luscious..hehe.
My cook was from Kerala and she had gorgeous hair & she got me onto this. She said to put it in at night & braid your hair and keep it like that for a coupla days. My hair was falling out from the chlorinated swimming pool water, but this stopped that.
Wanna eat coconuts for the full benefits, but they're so expensive!! I guess taking some coconut oil will have to do...
I get edible grade, 100% pure virgin Parachute coconut oil...it's cheaaap :)
p.s. you know Aishwarya Rai? in this youtube interview i saw, the person complimented her hair and she was like "yeah from childhood i've been using coconut oil on it"

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2009 12:23:00 PM More reviews by Sshaw26

I actually bought this for food purposes - I had no idea you could use it for your skin! I came across it on youtube the other day and decided to try it on my skin and my chapped lips. I LOVE IT! It soaks right into my lips and makes them super soft. Plus it tastes good and smells AMAZING! I also tried it on my arms as a replacement to lotion. I didn't find it greasy at all. It made my skin super soft. Its a weird oil because its solid at room temperature. But as soon as take it out of the container it turns to liquid. A little bit goes a LONG way. The only thing is I haven't used it on my face. I'm a little nervous because I have acne prone skin and I've read mixed reviews. Some people say its amazing and some say it makes you break out even more =\! But I will definitely buy this again replacing my body lotion

The brand I use is called International Harvest's and its 100% Organic coconut oil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2009 1:20:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

I read on a review that this could be used as a "personal" lubricant. I've never really found a lubricant that I like, and after recently going thru surgical menopause...a lubricant was a necessity! So, I had a big old bottle of this in my fridge from when I was on a health kick. I decided to give it a try and low and behold it WORKS GREAT! It doesn't get sticky or tacky..it lasts FOREVER. Its slippery and moisturizing. Its natural. What else could u possibly want?? Oh yeah it smells and tastes good UNlike most lubricants on the market. Definately a great tip from MUA!!

35 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2009 12:49:00 AM More reviews by blondiegoodlooks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have very sensitive, breakout-prone skin. I now have only mild acne, but it tends to be more of the cystic variety.

Anywho, I gave this a go as my cleanser for a month. I used this pretty much exclusively, applying it heavily, leaving it on for a minute, and then rubbing it off with a towel (I think that part is critical as it will assist with the cleansing process, and maybe slightly exfoliate as well). Sometimes I would remove with a gentle soap or with an exfoliating scrub (Bindi cleanser).

The smell is unbelievable. Simply amazing.

It is also very cheap. My skin hasn't really changed since I started using the extra virgin coconut oil about a month ago. (Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.) Most ppl should give this a go as either a pre-cleanser/make-up remover, or a good standalone cleanser if you're not that acne-prone.

Also, as an FYI to anyone scared to use an oil cleanse because they don't want to end up greasy/slimy, once you blot/wipe with a towel, ur face is not greasy at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2009 8:37:00 PM More reviews by lolipopi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I first heard about coconut oil on youtube. After reading all the info I could find - I got a tub at walmart for $10 and made sure it was the organice extra virgin coconut oil. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! I have combination skin - t zone. Dry on my forehead and cheeks, and prone to breakouts especially around my chin and eyebrows. I started using this to remove my eye makeup and eventually moved to using it to remove all my makeup. I am happy to report I am breakout FREE and my eyelashes are longer and seem more full. I have less dryness on my cheeks and forehead. I've started running this through my hair now as well. My hair is reacting very well to this - I usually put it in right before bed and wash it out in the shower the next morning. I am sooooo happy I found this stuff!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/13/2009 6:08:00 PM More reviews by Mystyre

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After moving from the prairies to the coast, my skin started to react negatively. I started experiencing breakouts and dryness and decided that I needed to change up my skin care routine. After reading many great reviews about coconut oil, I went out and bought a big tub.
I wanted this to work so badly. I tried it first as a night moisturizer, but it gave me a lot of clogged pores and blackheads along my jaw where I don't usually break out. Then I decided to try using it with the OCM; at first it was working really well, but over time it clogged my pores, especially on my forehead. So I finally gave up. If it works for you, great. But I am done experimenting with oil on my face. It does smell amazing, though...
EDIT: I found out that those bumps are called milia; basically the coconut oil was clogging my pores so bad that my skin's natural exfoliation process wasn't able to keep my skin clear. After almost two months of tretinoin, those bumps are 99% gone!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2009 4:37:00 PM More reviews by pezbot

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am Loving EVCO! It works as the BEST eye makeup remover I have ever used. So gentle yet effective and 100% natural. I love it as a facial moisturizer, but not all the time.
It is also fabulous as a body moisturizer and as a hair conditioner.It is supposed to be one of the few oils that can penetrate the hair shaft which is why it is so good for pre shampoo hair oiling. Coconut oil can also be used as a personal lubricant that is chemical free.( Don't use with latex i don't think)
Because coconut oil has natural antiviral qualities it is a safe bet to use anywhere on your body. LOVE IT

rated 2 of 5 on 9/26/2009 10:27:00 AM More reviews by happygirl72

oh ladies... i'm so disappointed with this! after reading and re-reading review and doing way too many searches on the inet, i determined in my heart that i may finally have found a solution to my hormonal chin breakouts that i am way too old for (37)!! so i went out and paid 12 bucks for a jar of cold-pressed, organic virgin coconut oil. started using it after a couple of awful cystic breakouts. made things far worse. having tried various facial product, i knew that my skins reacts to anything new in a rejection manner and i'd have to live it out for a few weeks until things adjusted. well after 3 or so weeks i could no longer handle going out in public with 3 layers of foundation and feeling like a 13yr old again. so i came back and read the review again. by that time there was someone who posted that she made the mistake of buying virgin instead of extra virgin and that was a bad idea. so i figured that was my problem! went out next day and purchased the extra virgin variety. i would cleanse with my regular cleanser (oxy) and then gently rub a small pea-size amount of oil on my face as a moisturizer. the rest of my face loves it... ecxema gone around nostrils, wrinkles seriously diminishing around eyes. but... chin is going crazy! so i then read about the oil cleansing method and also read an article that said a huge percentage of acne breakouts are cause from "over-cleansing and harsh acne facial cleanser". so i figured that was the problem. stopped using the oxy and used the coconut oil as a cleanser (with the steamy washcloth method). i hoped that by wiping most of the oil off with the hot cloth, there would be less to clog my pores and things would go better. well it's been 2 1/2 weeks of that and i have the largest cysts under my skin now. they look like big lumps or growths on my chin/jaw. it's painful and embarrassing and i've given up on the coconut oil thing. what's really funny is that i don't have hugely oily skin or lots of acne... just hormonal breakouts on the chin area. i don't understand why so many people have great results with this natural product and my skin hates it! i really wanted to have clear, smooth skin!!
so i'm now moving on to the neutrogena acne wash in hopes that i'll get my chin back to the occasional small pimple and blackheads that i once hated and now long for! likely it will dry the heck out of the rest of my face but i'd rather deal with scaley than massive pussy cysts.
am going to try eating a tsp of the coconut oil/day (seeing as i already have it) and maybe that will keep my skin from drying too much.

any advise regarding better usage of the coconut oil would be helpful! if you've experienced negative effects and then figured out how to make it work for you i'd love to hear your methods!!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2009 9:00:00 AM More reviews by noinoi

Its a fantastic product. Great body moisturiser, amazing as an eye moisturiser. Takes off make-up.

Excellent used overnight as a hair mask and can be used as a leave in conditioner just on the ends.

My hair is that frizzy celtic fine stuff and commercial conditioners do nothing for it though probably some of the really expensive ones like Kerestase would work. Still for a cheap leave in conditioner this cannot be beat. Leaves my straw like hair incredibly soft. Also gives a little more shine.

One more thing to add. This can be used as a leave in hair conditioner but it doesn't work if you use shampoo or conditioners with ingredients like cones and laurel sulfate that coats the hair as the coconut oil just sits on top and looks greasy. As long as you use all natural shampoo and not much of it the coconut oil works great!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2009 9:55:00 PM More reviews by bananachips

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have combination skin that has been leaning towards dry lately (not enough or wrong moisturizer?). I also have a lot of sun damage and problems with texture and clarity. I decided to try coconut oil after reading reviews on MA, and I'm glad I did! I bought the cold-pressed extra virgin kind in the skincare aisle (grocery store). It sinks into my skin and makes it look much more calm and smooth. It has natural fats/lipids and smells great! I love it! I will update if anything changes or it causes breakouts.