Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Oil -Free

2.9

Water (Aqua), Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Stearic Acid, Isodecyl Isononanoate, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, C20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, C22-20 Alcohols, Squalane, Butylene Glycol, Cetyl Esters, Phenoxyethanol, Boron Nitride, Silica, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Allantoin Tocopherol Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Hamaelis Viginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Cucumis sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Retinyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Polyamino Sugar Condesate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Chlorphensin, Benzoic Acid, Polysorbate 60, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Saccharomyces/Xylium Black Tea Ferment, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Green 5 (CI 61570), Yellow 5 (CI 19140).

Doesn't break me out like the original primer, and keeps my make-up looking fresh all day.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This works very well with my BE products and it hasn't contributed negatively to my pimple problem. It also provided better coverage than the Smashbox primer, which I felt was greasy.

UPDATE: After about 2 years, this has become a staple in my MU bag. I still haven't tried any other primers beyond Smashbox's, and that's because this is the best value I've seen. Other primers are about 1 oz and run for as much money or more than LM's primer, so I don't feel that compelled to buy another product just to try it out. LM primer holds my makeup in place in hot, sweat-inducing weather, so it's doing its job.

This seems to be ok - better than I expected, seemed to minimise my pores. Can't say that the foundation stayed on any longer or went on any better, but I think it did!

This primer has a less silicone, greasy feel to it compared to other primers. It feels more like a lotion and absorbs quickly. It does not exaggerate any oily conditions in my t-zone. I don't have a lot of experience with other primers but the ones I've tried leave a heavy, kinda greasy feel on the skin...all the silicones in them...and this just gives the skin a little grip for makeup. Makeup does seem to apply smoother with this under it, though it doesn't seem to really make much of a difference in lasting power, at least for the notorious t-zone. Makeup is always wearing away from my nose and forehead. I like this primer, especially in the oil-free version, though it has a strong chemical scent to it. Seems to fade after a while. Unfortunately, at $30, I can't afford to purchase this again. I used all LM for my wedding day and I didn't regret it; I looked flawless.

Even it's oil free but I think it's still oily me. I'm not sure if I'd buy again. If there's better one, I'd try the new one.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is probably one of the better primers that I have used. I was using Smashbox photo finish before this and was disappointed at how clogged and heavy my skin felt, not to mention that it made my skin break out.

This product works fairly well with very oily skin. Since I have a skin care regimen, I feel like this primer may be too much and that it is irrelevant with the use of a moisturizer. If I don't apply a moisturizer, then I feel like this product can really benefit those with oily skin.

I like this product, but feel like it can only be used in specific situations.

The one thing about this product is that it is not as expensive as Smashbox's Oil-Free Primer. That's a big plus. Another big plus is that it actually mattifies me much better and doesn't allow the oiliness through as easily [as other products with the same purpose]. I thought I'd found the best oil-free primer when I found the Smashbox Oil-Free, but I hadn't counted on this working far better with less product.

The Smashbox Oil-Free Primer works fine, but I dislike the packaging (pump). The texture of the Smashbox, compared to this, is fluffier -- which tends to absorb right into my skin like a lotion, and while it DOES help with the absorbency of oil throughout the day, it doesn't help with the life of my makeup during the day, which I am looking for -- like a fixative.

I have used both oil-free primers in conjuction with Dermalogica's Clearing Mattifier, as well as Dermalogica Oil-Free Lotion and/or Active Moist (I use these products on a regular basis). I gotta say that the combination with the Laura Mercier works the best. I have combination skin, and I don't think if you're REALLY, seriously oily or acneic, you can use this and be 100% pleased. Oil-free does not mean it will also sop up any overproduction of oil, so you might be better off with something with a silicone in it -- like the Smashbox ORIGINAL Photo Finish, which sounds ridiculous and probably feels greasy, but should soak up the oil production or at least inhibit it from appearing.

I don't like calling anything my HG at all, but I will most likely repurchase this product because it's about $10 less than the Smashbox Oil-Free, provides a smoother surface (better than both of the Smashbox Photo Finishes and the MAC Primers -- all of which I have tried), and I like that it comes in a tube rather than a cumbersome bottle that you cannot get all the product out of. continued >>

Makes skin soft and smooth, allowing no dry pathes when foundation is applied, not the best for oil control. Is there any primer that works for that? I use this primer over dermalogica oil control lotion, they make a good team! The packaging is awesome.

Don't really feel much different if I don't put it before makeup.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This went on beautifully. My makeup application was flawless with this. It was impressive. A co worker commented on my makeup in the morning & how pretty I looked. The only problem was in a few hours my makeup was coming off. This did nothing to keep my makeup on longer and I know it's not meant to control oil, but it didn't help in that dept. Will stick with shiseido until I find something better. I could see where this would work well for someone with dry skin.

Popular Primer/ Correctors