December 22, 2014 | 1009 users online

Masks - Aztec Secret - Indian Healing Clay

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 11:16:00 AM More reviews by starlessartemis

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this about once a month (not weekly due to dry skin) and it's always a luxury. So I had a steak last week and red meat unfortunately makes me acne prone. Using this mask really helps expedite the termination of acne and makes my skin feel clean and soft. It's a great mask that's very reasonably priced. Here's what I do!

1. Get a regular sized silver spoon from your kitchen drawer.
2. Scoop 1 spoon into a small bowl. This will help you avoid the a mess.
3. Pour 1-1.5 spoons of apple vinegar. Water is fine too but the ACV will help soften/exfoliate skin. ACV also mixes better with the clay. Water can make it clumpy so make sure to mix with extra effort.
4. Watch the mixture fizz and mix until consistency is even.
5. Apply a thin even layer with a brush; using your hand is okay too, but won't be as even.
6. Let dry for 10-20 minutes. You will feel your skin pulsating (if your arteries aren't too deep). Your teeth will feel like clamping due to skin tightness.
7. When dried, lay a damp cloth over your face, and ever so gently wipe away with warm water.
8. Apply a good face cream i.e. Cetaphil to restore moisture.
9. Wait around 30 minutes for skin redness to go away. Or just have your beauty sleep!

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2013 10:23:00 PM More reviews by spinacha

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have acne-prone, reactive skin with enlarged pores and very oily t-zone.

This mask works really well for me. I have used it at least 4 times now, and have had no reaction to it. It does a great job of cleaning out your pores.

My skin looks squeaky clean after I use this mask. It does leave the skin feeling dry, so a more generous application of your moisturizer after using this mask is required. There is a slight redness after the mask is removed, but it doesn't last long.

This mask is tricky to mix. You really have to work with it so that it won't clump. Be sure to start with liquid first and then add the powder, not vice-versa. If you start with the powder, it will be more prone to clumping.

When adding the powder to the liquid, add a little bit at a time while stirring the mixture the entire time. I use a whisk to mix mine; I find a spoon doesn't work well enough.

Be careful not to make too much. I have a tendency to do that. A tablespoon of liquid should do it; 2 at the most.

I find it best to apply this mask to the face with a brush. You’ll get a more precise application that way. Plus, this mask is messy, and you don't want to get it between your fingers or under your nails.

Be sure to pull your hair back, well out of your face. If it gets into your hair, it's a real pain to get out, and it's gonna hurt if it hardens.

The mask will dry up quickly under your nose and around your mouth (the areas where you breathe from), so it's best to apply the mask to those areas last.

I agree with others that my skin doesn't "pulsate", it just gets really tight. When you can't take it anymore, that when it's time to remove the mask. My threshold is usually 15-20 minutes.

The mask is not easy to remove - plain water won't do, at least not without difficulty. I use a wet cloth or a drenched paper towel. I prefer a paper towel so I can just throw it away when done. Any towels or cloths you get the mask on will stain, but the stains do come out in the wash.

Be sure to wipe your sink clean immediately after using this mask, and to wash your bowl, whisk etc., right away, otherwise the leftover clay will harden.

All in all, I think the mask is great, and I will repurchase it. The only complaints I have is that it's messy, and it clumps easily, but otherwise I am very pleased with it. I especially love that it doesn't cause my acne-prone skin to break out.

Lastly, I have only used the clay with water. I am bit wary of using apple cider vinegar on the skin. While I know it's supposed to be perfectly safe, I worry that its acidity will irritate my skin. Some reviewers have indicated that this mask has broken them out, and I wonder if the apple cider is to blame.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2013 10:56:00 AM More reviews by Lily580

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was expecting to absoloutely love this product. I bought it after reading an interview with Leslie Mann (who has amazing skin!) who said she uses it. It leaves my skin soft I guess but I feel like I would get that with any clay mask. I use it once a week and I don't think it has done anything at all for my skin. I mix it with apple cider vinegar. Also, I don't get the throbbing feeling or anything else that people say they feel with it on...it just gets tight. I will finish the tub but won't buy another one.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2013 12:39:00 PM More reviews by carpar83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this on impulse about 6 months ago. I have been having trouble with my skin since August of last year, and I was desperate! I am really impressed by how well this mask works. For the price, I was not expecting the world from it, but it really helps clear up my skin. It is a very strong mask, so at first, I expected my skin to dry out, but I have never had dryness from it. I do have a little trouble mixing the mask, but that is the only problem that I have with it. When I have a terrible breakout, I use this mask for 15 minutes before I go to bed. By morning, my skin looks A LOT better with viable reduction in the size of the pimples. I also feel like it reduced the itchiness that come with acne. I use it once or twice a month on regular skin months, and once a week when my skin is breaking out badly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2013 6:39:00 PM More reviews by clarabeau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This mask is serious business. I agree with the previous previewer that this is not a mask to relax with! I use it about once a week, mixing it with apple cider vinegar and applying it on clean skin. I leave it on for about 15 minutes, or until I can't take it anymore, lol. It really does feel like it's vacuum-sucking your pores, it is SO WEIRD at first. At after I wash it off (and it doesn't wash off easily, I suggest wearing it before you get into the shower and can wash it off in there) my face is pretty rosy and red. But truly, the next morning, I can always count on my face to look much better. Any areas that were looking congested no longer look that way, my T-zone is less oily, and dry areas look smoother too, which is surprising. And the pores on my nose look smaller. This is so fast-acting, it's one of the few "quick fixes" that actually work. I would never be without this!

And it's cheap, and they give you a large quantity in a jar. I love that it's so simple too, no preservatives or potential irritants. Just pure bentonite clay goodness. I also like the Queen Helene mint julep mask, but I feel like this is an upgrade.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 9:36:00 PM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Ladies (and gentlemen), have I got a product to rave about! I have acne prone skin so I am always looking for that great cream, lotion, potion that will help me get rid of my acne. I read positive reviews about this mask but sometimes I have the backwards idea that pricier means better. However, this modestly priced mask has become a HG product to deep clean my pores. The container claims that it is "The worlds most powerful facial" and "You will feel it pulsate"...yeah right, I thought! Boy was I wrong!!! If you are looking for a nice mask to relax in, this is NOT FOR YOU! Don't get scared but it tingles when applied and when the clay dries, you will feel it tightening and pulling the impurities out.

EASE: Mix the powder with Apple Cider Vinegar or water. I chose ACV and mixed 2 tablespoons of clay powder and 2 tablespoons of vinegar in a small glass bowl. It fizzles when the vinegar interacts with the clay. Stir it a few times and it becomes a smooth paste.

AFFORDABILITY: $7 for 1lb (454grams) of product at Whole Foods. You can possibly find it cheaper online but you have to pay for shipping.

INGREDIENTS: 100% Natural Calcium Bentonite Clay, a natural absorbent of oils.

CAUTION: Causes redness of the skin which is temporary so don't freak out and think that it burned you. The manufacturer suggests leaving it on for 5-10 min on delicate skin and 15-20 for normal skin. The redness will go away within an hour. To be safe though, I use it when I don't have plans for the rest of the night. Since it can be a little messy to wash off, I suggest using it before showering.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 8:15:00 PM More reviews by definebeauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This clay, really helped me through my rough times with my skin.
Rewind to 2 years ago. My skin is broken out, the texture is disgusting, red and puss filled pimples with sprinkling of black heads all over my face. My confidence was non existent and I was becoming desperate.
I found myself in my local health food store, and picked this up just because i really had nothing to use.
The first time i used it i added acv like it says you can. I could feel the clay literally pulling the dirt and oil from my skin as it hardened.

So back to the present. It's been 2 years since i purchased this, and i'm only half way through the pound that you get. I do not use this regularly, just whenever i feel like.
I am not telling you this is a miracle in a jar. What i am saying is that if you think that the reason your skin is acting up is because you have toxins in your body/skin, i strongly feel this product is for you. if your skin is acting out due to hormonal issues, i'm not too sure. try is none the less. It's not like it's extra expensive. I paid $5 on sale.
Today i still do have pimples but the red and pussy ones are few and far between. What i have now are those very fine pimples that you could rub off your face easily but they come back and you can pnly really see them in certain light at certain angles, as well as hyperpigmentation left behind from previous acne.
The only cons about this are after i washedit off, my face is red for about an hour. So it is not a good idea to put this on right before something important like an event, date, anywhere you'll be seen.
And it is annoying to make. It also can get a little messy but you can minimize the mess by using a fan/foundation brush to apply it to your face.
This is a stable for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2013 10:54:00 AM More reviews by edmineralsgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Decided to give this a try after reading all the rave reviews on MUA. Picked this up at my local whole foods. Comes in a jar that is filled to the brim! A little advice when you open it: be careful or you will spill; there is no plastic wrapping once you open the jar.

I first tried this out with water - it was impossible to mix without getting clumps. Felt good on my skin. Tightened up very quickly and left my skin matte for hours. Gave it a second go with organic apple cider vinegar and it mixed perfect. I think the acv helped slightly more than just water. This mask tightens up much quicker than any other clay mask I've ever tried. I guess that means it's going straight to work? lol. After washing it off, my skin appears only slightly red (soon fades) and I can tell every bit of gunk and oil has been sucked up - that means you NEED to MOISTURIZE after using this mask! Highly recommend it for people with oily / blemished skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2013 2:45:00 AM More reviews by kellykn

I ordered this mask after hearing rave reviews and I have to say I like it a lot. I mix it with ACV and brush it with a foundation brush. I don't do a thick layer as suggested cos a thin one works better and comes off easier. I leave it on for 30 minutes and it really does pulsate! I used it three days in a row the first week and the third time it didn't pulsate so I figured all the "impurities" were gone. Just a guess. I now use it once a week and find that if used more often, it is less effective. This mask reduced my pore size and softened my skin. It made my cheeks red but my tzone was fine. Some weeks I only use it on my tzone cos my cheeks are sensitive. For a super deep clean, I use Biore's pore strip immediately after since the mask draws out all the gunk to the surface. For those who say its too messy, just use a spoon! Dont pour from the container. I dedicate a plastic spoon and bowl just for this. Not messy at all. For the price, the product is worth a try!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2013 8:10:00 AM More reviews by mayaglover

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This mask a little bit drying for my face, so after use aztec mask i use mask sheet pearl or snail essence and in the morning my face look great, my face look glowing not dry or red, firm and smooth. But it didnt bring deep cyst acne to surface,,,

After countinously using this mask i see improvement in my pores, no more whitehead and blackhead.