November 22, 2014 | 1964 users online

Masks - Oatmeal Mask

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2009 12:05:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have advanced rosacea and SD that react to EVERYTHING, and thanks to another MUA reviewer, I recently discovered the wonder of oatmeal face powder. It’s great, great, great! I grind up the oatmeal to a fine powder, sift it to eliminate larger clumps, and apply it to a dry face (first applying a little jojoba oil and waiting for it to dry). Then I wipe off any visible clumps with a cotton pad. No, it doesn’t cover much, but the anti-inflammatory action of oatmeal (ref: NIH site) keeps my rosacea from turning bright red. And if I leave it on overnight, it’s even better. I’ve also used it over sunscreen and discovered that my face is less inflamed from the sunscreen. To make sure it stays fresh, I keep the ground oatmeal in a glass jar in the refrigerator and replace it every few days. Thank you, “footballove” reviewer for the oatmeal powder idea—I’m very grateful! (See her review under Oatmeal Masks, dated 2/29/09.)

Note: to make the powder even more effective, I sometimes mix in a just a tiny bit of ground licorice root, which is also calming/anti-inflammatory (ref: NIH site). However, since licorice root can also raise blood pressure and some makeup ingredients include penetrators, I’d suggest checking with a doctor on whether this is safe for you to use.

Now for the not-so-great part: Like other loose powder, oatmeal powder goes everywhere and it can be a pain to clean up. Also, it does clump easily, so a damp face and oatmeal powder don’t tend to mix. (Even dry, it’s necessary to carefully check your face for visible clumps.)

Overall, highly recommended to calm faces down! (Oatmeal also helps absorbs UV rays.)

26 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2009 6:12:00 PM More reviews by emilieelspeth

using my magic bullett blender :) i grinded up around a cup of some of the oatmeal until it was almost a powdery dust-like consistency and i added a tablespoon or so of water until it looked like baby puke.. haha. i left the mask on for around 10-15 minutes and washed it off with water. I did notice that my skin was glowing really nicely and looked fairly more even. i have acne-prone skin with a a small amount of blemishes. there was no difference to any of them except the areas of my skin that ARE clear were glowing, healthy and moisturized. i really like this inexpensive mask and would DDEFINITELY reccommend to people with dry- combo skin, or anyone who wants to add a nice healthy glow to their skin! (duh who doesn't want healthy glowing beautiful skin???) =)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2009 10:18:00 PM More reviews by Darcy49

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I learned this from the women at GoW's website: To 1 cup of boiling water, add 1 tablespoon of oatmeal. Stir it up, then let it cool to room temperature. Then, wash your face with the liquid.

I generally wash with a little bit of the liquid and some of the mushy flakes, then soak a cloth in the remaining liquid and put the cloth over my face for a couple of minutes. I don't rinse off afterwards, just use the cloth to remove any visible oatmeal. (I do this before bed.)

This has been a lifesaver more than once when I've managed to get my skin red and irritated. The oatmeal water really, really calms irritated skin, especially if you leave a very fine film on overnight.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2009 2:38:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

A life saver. Typically, my advanced rosacea and seb derm are just a cosmetic problem, but recently, my face hit a major overload of triggers, and I was looking at not only a flaming red, p&p face, but one accompanied by burning and itching so bad I couldn’t sleep. Unfortunately, every “calming” agent I could think of contained more triggers (fragrances, emulsifiers or preservatives) that have torn my skin up in the past. Examples:

(1) Tocopheryl acetate (often used as a preservative; found in sooooo many products, including so-called “calming” products)
It’s an irritant and skin sensitizer
(ref: websearch will turn up article in Skin and Aging, Focus On: Vitamin E, Dec 15 2007 , By Greg Sakamoto, M.D., and Peter C. Schalock, M.D., describing the problem - noting that in one experiment 1/3 of the patients being treated with topical vitamin E for skin scars developed dermatitis; also see Skin Deep which references it as “Human skin toxicant - strong evidence”…Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments…Sensitizer - can instigate immune system response that can include itching, burning, scaling, hives, and blistering of skin.”
(2) Cetyl alcohol (which Aveeno tends to use in their oatmeal lotions, etc.)
It's an irritant (really tears my skin up)
{ref: see Skin Deep which describes it as a “Primary skin irritant (human)}”

With no commercial products that would work, I used the blender to grind some steel-cut oatmeal, mixed it with just enough warm distilled water to dissolve it, waited for it to return to room temperature and applied it. It was messy, and I’ve never been fond of the smell of oatmeal, but it really relieved the burning and itching, and reduced some of the worst of the redness! (Other reviewers have used various mixture combinations; I stayed with the most innocuous possible.)

The Pubmed/NIH website describes oatmeal as: “…used for centuries to relieve itch and irritation…It is: water-holding, …antioxidant, ….anti-inflammatory activity, also strong ultraviolet absorbers.”

I highly recommend it for sensitive skin!

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2009 4:25:00 PM More reviews by winian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Oatmeal is great! Another thing to add to the list of nature knows best! No need to buy fancy things for our skin, we already have the best healing and helping in our kitchens! I use this just with water mostly, sometimes honey, too. Very gentle!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2009 7:52:00 AM More reviews by thebigtrout

I've been using oatmeal in a variety of ways for years. It really is amazing for the skin. I used to just use it as a mask with honey or put it in an old piece of cut up nylons and tie it up in to a ball and throw it into my bath. It is very soothing and moisturizing and has never disappointed. Recently I've been using it to exfoliate and it seems much gentler to my skin. I like to leave a little of the oatmeal "juice" on my skin after cleansing because it is so soothing and softening. I love it. It's another one of nature's wonders. Why is it that we waste thousands of dollars on chemical products when our cabinets are full of wholesome things for our skin?? Beats me. Oatmeal's terrific!

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by castell

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've had it with exfolliants and home microdermabrasions. I've tried 'em all. I admit to probably overusing them and misusing them. When my DBF asks "Have you been exfolliating again?" because my face looks painfully red and is painful and takes a few days to recover with hydrocortisone after each exfolliation...well, I give up. I understand the importance of sloughing off old skin cells, but my skin just seems too sensitive for any commercial products. So I decided to try plain old oatmeal. A couple times a week, I remove my makeup, mix some oatmeal in warm water and slather it on my face. While it dries, I use
the many exfolliants I have collected on my feet! Then I shower, and have a smooth, non-irritated face and smooth feet too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2009 10:42:00 AM More reviews by SaraLee2

I love using oatmeal! Its so versatile, cheap and effective. Anytime my skin is feeling raw, itchy, or irritated, I use 1/8c baby oatmeal (it dissolves and mixes easier and has the same qualities/pureness as regular oatmeal without the hassles), 1 tbs avocado oil (real avocado works great too, or any oil you want), and 2 tsps honey. Mix it up and schmear it on for 15 min and rinse. For moisturizing or mild exfoliation, 1/8c baby oatmeal, 1tbs plain greek yogurt or powdered milk, and 1-2 tsps honey. When my pores are looking huge and my skin dull, I add the juice of a lemon (don't put on open spots). Any oatmeal mask also works great as a scrub by just leaving it on for shorter time so it doesn't dry completely, then gently rub it off. The longer it dries, the more of a scrub you'll get so its easy to adjust to how your skin feels today. One thing though (since summers comin'...for those who use self-tanners...the yogurt or lemon juice will mostly remove any 'tan' you've got. Great if you want to undo a tan or had streaky/splotchy results as it takes it off evenly. Not so great if you've taken a few days to build up some color and are happy with the results.

18 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2009 12:40:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

Sadly, I get sucked in with the newest latest facial treatments/masques/cleansers with slick marketing and I forget that cheapest is sometimes the best. I grind oatmeal in my coffee grinder, use as a face scrub, mixed with yogurt and honey as a masque, in my bath with a few drops of lavender oil to sooth my skin. It is always sitting patiently in my cupboard and when I use it I know that my skin is not absorbing artificial chemicals/perfumes/toxins.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2009 4:02:00 PM More reviews by elsbett

I take a piece of fabric, pour a cup or two of oatmeal in the center, and tie it up (tightly) with a rubber band or two.

Then I use this in the bath, squishing out the oatmeal as I bathe. I use this on my face, too, and the fabric works nicely as a scrubber, if desired.

I've had even better luck mixing regular oatmeal with oat flour from the health-food store.

This fabric-ball keeps your tub/sink very tidy, you just get the wonderful healing/moisturizing benefits of the oatmeal without the mess.

30 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No