October 20, 2014 | 923 users online

Moisturizers - Sweet Almond Oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2008 6:26:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used olive oil (extra light) for many years - as a face serum before my moisturizer, mixed in body lotion, slathered on dry hair for a moisture treatment, under my eyes instead of eye creams (they really irritate my eyes), a few drops halfway through blow-drying my hair to smooth out the ends, etc. I really love it -- but based on the reviews here, I decided to try this. I had always assumed that sweet almond oil - had that awful almond scent - which I cannot stand But after seeing here that it didn't - I immediately ran out and got some to test. I bought the one in the food section (Spectrum brand) - it's the same as the cosmetic versions, but a smidge cheaper (plus, I feel good about food-grade products). This has more viscosity than olive oil, but it's not as oily, it absorbs better than olive, but it's not as emollient. Because it absorbs so well, I'm using this by itself before my body lotion (which I've added 20% olive oil to - my skin is just so dry). I still prefer olive oil for my face, not because this was too heavy, I just like the effect of the olive better (it's more dewy). I suspect this isn't true for others, but I did not find this as hydrating long-term as olive. So overall, I prefer olive oil for my skin and once I'm done with this bottle, I probably won't bother buying this again and just stick with olive oil. I also started using Apricot Kernel oil for under my eyes and love it.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2008 3:33:00 AM More reviews by beddheadd

I use this blended with sea salt for a nice, moisturizing salt scrub. It is not as heavy as Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and rinses off without stripping your skin of the essential lipids. I haven't used it as a moisturizer or as an add-in like the other reviewers have, but I wouldn't be surprised that it works just as well. I am an esthetician and also love using this as a massage oil -- gentle on the skin (unless you're allergic to nuts) and extremely moisturizing without feeling like it's too greasy!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2008 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Bowker2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ah Seattle winters, how you torture us! This year i have been trying to figure out how to incorporate oils into my daily routine- and ive had great success! Here is my regimin:
Morning- Rinse with warm water ( i am an esthetician, and MY esthetician reccomended i stop washing my face in the morning- which i have and i love it, at first i was scared of course but right away i realized that i was just taking away that lovely lipid balance that my skin makes over night! Apply a light coat of sweet almond oil over entire face. It sinks right in...or should i say my skin sucks it right up! I top it with my Somme double defense moisturizer with spf 30.
Evening- I wash with Weleda almond cleansing cream mixed with sugar, when skin is still slightly damp i apply a thick coat of S.A.O all over face and then Weleda almond intensive moisture cream on top. I add vitamin E oil around my eyes and on my lips and im set for bed!
Once a week i substitute the s.a.o with a Weleda wild rose capsule- mm nice treat :)
My skin is so much smoother and more comfortable since i have began using oils everyday- i used to think it would be a bit too much twice a day but my skin absolutely loves it. I reccomend every skin type to test out different oils and incorporate one or more into their routine!
Next on my list to add in is evoo :)

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2007 4:28:00 PM More reviews by eyelinerhappy41907

I use this on dry patches and even on my lips! It moisturizes really well and leaves my lips soft and smooth, same for my skin. The only place I don't use this is my face, I'm acne-prone so I'm afraid of this breaking me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2007 7:24:00 AM More reviews by Hypnogirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is such a great, cheap beauty basic. I use it in the bath, as a body moisturiser after a shower and it works wonders when my cuticles get dry (I have decanted some into an old Essie cuticle oil bottle and keep it on my desk at work).

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2007 6:27:00 PM More reviews by politicalpundit

I have been using this since I first started shaving my legs! I wanted my legs to feel smooth and look really smooth so I started experimenting with different things. This worked really well before moisturizer, I would shave my legs, exfoliate, apply this oil rinse it off. I only rinsed it because I wanted glowy legs not shiny ones, then I followed with a rich cream moisturizer. Works like a charm every time. Now I decided that after I shower I'm going to use oil all over my body and then put on moisturizer. I want a dry oil spray but didn't have time to go shopping so I put this in the spray bottle, works like a charm. Spray this on and rub it in and it works beautifully before lotion and it sinks in pretty fast. I think I will still purchase a real dry oil spray but if I don't see the difference I will stick to this stuff. I also use this in homemade scrubs, with brown + white sugar, honey, almond oil, lemon and evoo. Btw, I buy a very generous sized bottle at the local indian grocery store, the bottle has 500-750 ml in it and its only around $2.99-4.99.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2007 2:02:00 PM More reviews by bablondie32

They usually sell this onlin or vitamin health stores. I have a bunch on hand for craft making projects: soaps, scented perfume oils, massage oils, sugar scrubs, etc. I like to add my own fragrance and it works well for all that. Also I'll put it in an under eye serum mixed with jojoba and aloe oils. Great stuff. On my face? I probably wouldn't use except under my eyes. I'll stick to jojoba on my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2007 10:27:00 AM More reviews by shyviolet

I am using almond oil just to try something different from my usual jojoba oil. I use this oil to remove eye makeup, as a hair conditioner/ serum, body moisturizer and facial moisturizer (in place of a conventional moisturizer since most break me out).

The almond oil is thicker than the jojoba oil, making it a little bit more difficult to spread around, but possibly a little bit more concentrated in its moisturizing capabilities.

I may prefer the serum-like consistency of the jojoba, but the different between these two oils is very subtle, I am noticing the same results from both. I will probably alternate buying this and jojoba oil.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2007 8:30:00 AM More reviews by sharmaa12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Excellent multi-purpose product, as noted below in Spanish, and inexpensive (at Indian stores). After adding some essential lavender oil in the bottle, I use it as follows: (1) Twice/week, massage into scalp for five minutes, then shampoo/condition to prevent hair from drying out (2) Every night, use on face to remove all makeup, followed by mild gel cleanser to remove excess residue - no need for moisturizer afterwards (3) Use on damp body after shower. Many more uses, incl. overnight treatment for hair - have fun!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2007 10:30:00 PM More reviews by BavSnob

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

my skin is very dry, even in the summer time. I actually have to layer my moisturisers so that im not flaking on my chin by mid-afternoon. I try to use the most natural products I can (although Ive tried everything else too) because they seem to work the best for me. I was using this oil alone for a while but it wasnt enough to keep me comfortable all day, so i found that i need to first use my moisturizer followed by a thin layer of this. it works WONDERFULLY! My skin is nice and clear (better than it has been in years really), it dosnt clog my pores and most of all my skin is moisturized and comfortable all day! no more flakies!!!

(I tried other oils (such as jojoba on top of the moisturizer and I wasnt as impressed at all.)