October 20, 2014 | 1920 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 7:11:00 PM More reviews by oooHUNTRESSooo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This review is only for my experiences in using coconut oil on my HAIR.

My hair is naturally fine. I have an oily scalp and my ends are prone to drying, but nothing crazy.
I've used coconut oil as a weekly pre-wash treatment for a few months and it has made my hair so silky smooth and shiny. I put a small bowl with oil into warm water, melt it and spread it all over my hair. I just don't put it directly on my scalp. I try to leave it in for at least a few hours, preferably 4-6 hours.
It is a bit hard to wash out, especially if I use a sulphate-free shampoo, but I do find that 2-3 good shampooings take everything out.
From the first use I noticed my hair was getting softer, but the real results came about a month or two later.
I have never had such healthy, shiny and silky hair. It's so easy to comb it out, I practically have no split ends and the general condition of my hair is pretty great.

I haven't tried using it on my face or body because my skin is oily and prone to breakouts and the stories of big acne caused by this oil have scared me enough. And besides, I have a good skincare routine that helps keep my acne at bay (thank you Paula's Choice 2% BHA lotion).

However, I will keep using and repurchasing it for my hair because the results have really been stunning.
Also, I always check to see I am buying the virgin, unrefined, cold pressed version.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 6:17:00 PM More reviews by libertinexox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my favourite moisturiser I've ever used. I've been using it for around 6 months now.. I use it on my face morning and night and sometimes as a body lotion. As a face moisturiser it's perfect. I don't know why I ever used anything else since they all have chemicals etc in them and whatever you put on your skin goes into your blood stream so you should be able to eat whatever you put on your skin!

Anyway it's not just that it's healthier, it's the results that I like.. it's the perfect amount of moisture. It makes my skin slightly glowy and dewy and just seem naturally perfect. I used to have combination skin with dry forehead and cheek patches and oily T-zone but I'd have to say that my skin is now normal, no oiliness or dryness. And on top of it it's affordable and cheap. And one thing that surprised me is that I can wear it under makeup no problem, I just have to give it some time to sink in and dry a bit before I put it on.

Also it has never made me break out as some people seem to have experienced. Maybe those people used refined instead of extra virgin?

I know it's good to eat/take internally too but for some reason I find the texture disgusting and gag every time I try to eat it. I'm trying to find a way to take it, maybe put it in a smoothie or something.

Oh and another thing I noticed is that my lashes got longer and softer and I'm pretty sure it's because I slather it on my face at night, including my eyelashes!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2013 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Summerkisses88

Been using this for about a month and can see a total different positive improvement in my skin. I been also using the oil as a scrub with sugar. And I love how wonderful my skin looks when I am done. Overall, I love this.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by mergyte

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love using coconut oil on my hair and body. It's also great for healthy cooking. But I am really writing here to warn the younger girls with problematic skin NOT TO USE THIS ON YOUR FACE. I tried coconut oil on my face last summer when I had a hormonal breakout on my chin. After reading a few amazing reviews about coconut oil and the oil cleansing method on the internet I decided that it's going to fix my skin like a miracle... I couldn't have been more wrong. Coconut oil absolutely wrecked my skin. I broke out all over my face and almost a year after I am still struggling with acne and scarring. And yes I tried the organic extra virgin amazing expensive kind but it does not matter because this oil is on top of all the COMEDOGENIC ingredient lists and is just not right for your skin, especially teenage acne-prone skin. Use it in a hot oil hair treatment, make sweet sugar- coconut oil scrubs, but please don't make the same mistake I did and do your research before using this oil on your face!

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by Rebekah85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay I have to write a review for this and I am honestly surprised there are quite a few bad reviews for it. I fear that people writing bad reviews may have gotten a REFINED version of coconut oil and therefore faced tons of problems. Let me inform you that just because it says it's ORGANIC doesn't mean it is VIRGIN or UNREFINED. I made this mistake the first time I purchased coconut oil in the store. It said ORGANIC so I picked it up. Luckily I researched it closer before opening and using it and discovered that unless the package specifically says VIRGIN or UNREFINED organic, then it is indeed REFINED and ALL of the amazing benefits have been removed and nasty fats have been put in their place. SO PLEASE make sure you buy and use the proper coconut oil. I purchased Nutivas Organic Virgin coconut oil on Amazon and I am amazed. I initially bought it to use as a make up remover. It works great. It melts in your hand, I smear it on all over my face and eyelids, rub it in and then remove with a tissue or make up round and then wash my face as usual. It successfully removes all of my make up, even stubborn 24 hour and waterproof. It removes best if you use a tissue to wipe it off afterwards. If you just smear on the oil and then try to rinse it off with water, it isn't going to remove well. I also put a few tablespoons in a hot bath and soak in it. I can still feel the moisturizing effects the next day on my skin. It's amazing at repairing damaged hair and I also put it on my face overnight to soak in on my dry days. It serves as the best shaving cream ever lol. Just put some in the bath and your legs are so smooth that you can shave just like taht. I have yet to use it for cooking, though I am aware of it's many benefits in that area as well. I haven't had any break outs from this, as the true virgin oil does not clog pores or cause breakouts, unless of course you are allergic to it. You make break out initially because this stuff really deep cleans all the gunk that has been built up for years under the surface. So give it a chance!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by sofaloaf

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

The other reviewers have done a wonderful and very helpful job explaining the uses of this amazing oil, so I won't try to needlessly repeat what they said. I'm another reviewer singing the praises of coconut oil.
However, one thing I've noticed is that no one's really brought up how amazing it is as shaving cream! I have the most sensitive skin, and shaving is usually a painful ordeal involving nicks, cuts, razorburn, dry patches, and ingrown hairs. Which is surprising, because I've tried so many different razors, creams, and yes, I've tried the conditioner trick. I tried shaving with coconut oil last night, and oh. my. god. YES! My legs are soft, shiny, hairless, and razorburn free! I won't dread shaving anymore! (One note: Shave your legs with the oil in the shower, not in the bath because the oil will solidify on the sides of the tub and it's a pain to get off! Also, be sure to rinse out the blades every 2 or 3 swipes)

In addition to that revelation last night, I use it for so many things. It has replaced butter at our house, for nonstick purposes, stir frying, and even in baking (seriously, replace vegetable oil in brownies with coconut oil!!).
It can be used as a cuticle cream for shinier, stronger nails. I don't so much use it as a lotion, I'm too impatient for it too sink in, but I will use it on my face as a gentle, yet effective makeup remover.

I do have to say that I've tried it dozens of times in my hair, and to my chagrin, it was a total disaster every time. My hair becomes a lifeless oily mess when it dries after rinsing it out. I've used a variety of different clarifying shampoos because I want so badly for it to work on my hair, but the shampoos end up drying out any benefits.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 2:48:00 PM More reviews by RoseKalemba

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is literally my miracle product. :) I use it for so many things. It has helped repair my hair from a horrible over-bleached state. Virgin coconut oil (there is technically no such thing as "extra virgin"- there is virtually no difference between products labeled virgin & extra virgin) has proteins in it, & it helps prevent protein loss in hair. This makes it excellent for chemically damaged hair, & hair that has been heat-styled frequently. When my hair was at it's worst, I used to before every shampoo as a pre-treatment. I leave it on for about 3 hours, then shampoo & condition my hair like usual. If your hair isn't horribly damaged, you can use it anywhere from once a week to once a month. I also have sensitive, acne-prone skin and I use coconut oil as a nightly make-up remover and moisturizer. If you wear contacts, I advise removing your contacts before using coconut oil to remove eye makeup. If you don't, the coconut oil will likely cloud your vision & ruin your contacts. I had to learn this the hard way. *Note- if you try coconut oil as a face moisturizer & it is causing you to break out, try to bear with it for at least a couple months. Coconut oil can cause your skin to purge, which may seem like a bad thing, but it's not. It helps cleanse your skin of years of built up dirt, makeup, & oil. In other words, it may cause things to appear worse before they get better. But it has actually prevented and healed acne for me, & has never irritated my skin. It absorbs nicely & I don't have an oily residue in the morning. Coconut oil also makes an excellent body moisturizer, & it is a great substitute for shaving cream for those with sensitive skin. I especially use it for my bikini line, & I rarely get irritation/razor bumps there anymore. I believe that this is because coconut oil has natural antibiotic properties. I also massage it into my stretch marks twice a day, & it seems like it has helped fade them & prevent new ones. I also cook with it, & put a spoonful in my coffee & hot chocolate. The internal benefits it has are incredible. I use Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil. It is organic. :) I imagine that any Virgin Coconut Oil would work well, just look for one that is UNrefined. Sorry this review was so long! I just wanted to share some of the many uses I have found for this oil. :)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/8/2013 10:28:00 AM More reviews by Lapiz

This is a review for coconut oil as a topical treatment.

After all the raving reviewers who swear by it, the beauty gurus that use it in their homemade alternative treatments, I figured I just had to try it.

Worst mistake ever.

The flareups and clogged pores I suffered from experimenting with coconut oil are continuing to haunt me weeks after trying it. Even a soap with coconut oil as a secondary ingredient recently caused me to break out. If shea butter and coco butter break you out and irritate your skin, I can almost guarantee coconut oil will be the same. Was it worth the experiment? Absolutely not. I have very deep scarring and pigmentation that reminds me how much of a mistake it was to use this on my skin.

So just to recap, if you've got sensitive skin to shea butter and coco butter, you might want to completely pass on this.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2013 7:36:00 AM More reviews by go_onyagoodthing

I've been using coconut oil for about 6 weeks now & wanted to add my experience and thoughts to the debate. I started off using it as a makeup remover and facial moisturizer. My skin looked amazing for the first few days-plumper and more even. However, after a few days I broke out really badly. Having heard that this often happens, as its meant to be detoxifying the pores, I persisted. My breakup did clear up & I found that spots in general were healing faster than usual. However, I have had a systemic candida infection in the past & when I get a resurgence of it, my skin breaks out dreadfully-I mean the worst, most severe, swollen for days, horrendous spots ever!!! Based on the idea that coconut oil (due to its antifungal and antibacterial properties) draws toxins out through the skin, I have a theory that people with underlying candida imbalances might suffer continued breakouts with coconut oil (-as the candida is giving off toxins, which are partly expressed through the skin). And if you treat the underlying candida infection, then you can use coconut oil on your skin as you are treating the underlying cause of the breakouts. Anyway, thats just a theory!
So my experience so far (which has been influenced heavily by a resurgence of my candida imbalance) is that:
-when I had really horrendous cysts on my face due to the candida, they healed to a tolerable level within 3-5 days with continued use of coconut oil(and combined internal treatment for candida)-in the past they would stay on my face as a lump for a week+ without coming to a head. Using the coconut oil (and internal anti fungals, probiotics and toxin cleansers) they came to a head in much less time.
-my skin is generally in better condition-plumper, more vibrant & I need to wear less makeup
-I found using it as a cleanser required copious amounts of hot water & repeated cleansings to get my makeup properly off, so now I use mostly as a night time moisturiser. It absorbs well into my skin & smells great.
-Im using organic cold pressed coconut oil.

In case anyones interested, Im taking caprylic acid (a derivative of coconut), probiotics, grapefruit seed extract and cutting out sugar & wine to treat my candida infection. Im taking milk thistle & drinking nettle and rosehip tea to aid in cleansing of toxins from candida/die off.
Hope this helps!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2013 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Xpregnito

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Loads if uses from adding to your smoothie/hot choc, massage oil & hair treatment among others. After researching uses for it, I discovered Miranda Kerr uses it daily taking 2 teaspoons a day. So I'm gonna give that a go. Lol!