Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

If you haven't tried coconut oil yet...you need to. Never before has a product been so versitle in my life that I daresay, if it were to be taken away, I'd be lost as to what I'd do. I buy organic, virgin, cold pressed (sounds so neo-hippie)...usually Trader Joe's brand, 16 oz for like $5 or something. Skip the Louana brand from the superstore, it's been so refined that all of the health benefits of it will be negated. I will tell you that when you get a jar of *good* coconut oil, it will add the faintest flavor to your food (so that bland things, like tortillas, will pick up the slightest hint of it, but most foods with any minimal flavor (mashed potatoes) will not), and it also carries a light and expected, coconut scent (the ultra refined coconut oils like Louana's that I recommend you stay away from, are completely odorless and tasteless). Keep in mind that it is solid at room temp, and then liquefies around 76 degrees Fahrenheit and there is also an expiration date. There's no need to refrigerate after opening, but it should be stored in a cool place, like a pantry. (Store in the fridge if you want, but there's no need and it gets pretty hard.)

Like every product beauty, diet and health related, everyone will react differently to it. Some, like myself, may love it, some may hate it. I separate some coconut oil into small jars with a spoon for my cosmetic needs and use the rest for cooking, to keep it as clean as possible. These are just a few of the uses that I find for it:

-Cooking: used daily
-Skin: as a makeup remover, moisturizer and facial cleanser (honest to god, it's the only thing I use on my face aside from actual makeup)
-Spa: add some essential oils to it for a massage oil
-Hair: the smallest bit worked into the ends of hair add healthy shine
-Nails: rubbed into the cuticles

continued >>

So I bought a big ol tub of this thinking it would be great to save my over bleached hair and I have put it on many nights and shamppoed it out the next morning and it feels drier in the shower- my hair is like a pile of tangled fine straw. Uncombable when I get out of shower. Ugh maybe my hair is just that bad? I don't think it's improving my hair health at all, like I read it has for so many. I keep using it some nights alternating w deep con treatments on other nights. Just disappointed. I put it on dry hair. I love the smell and I do hear its good for skin lips lubricant massage etc so it's not a total waste I just expected it to really help my hair. I will say that my natural hair is liht brown thin and fine. I bleached it once and it was still in great condition but not light enough. I waited a month and bleached a second time but this time my hair was coated w coconut oil and it still bleached it evenly and was protected majorly and had barely any more damage done. It was the crud I did after that that's made it into this..."fuzzball hairdoNT" lol

on 5/1/2013 2:24:00 PM

I got this on the cheap at World Market, and I am so happy I did. This stuff is ACE! I mixed some sugar and honey in a bowl with a scoop of this, I emulsified the mixture and applied it pre-bath and boy howdy! I was the softest lady in the land. I only wish this smelled like coconut...because when I made the mixture, it took on a buttery smell that wasn't very pleasant, but didn't stick around either. I can't wait to use this for other things!

on 5/1/2013 10:02:00 AM

I have been using coconut oil for a few months now. I use it as a hair conditioner by rubbing it into my scalp and through my ends and then keeping it in for a little bit before showering and rinsing it out. I like it, but for some reason my hair tends to feel dry in the shower as I am washing it out, like straw like sort of. But once i dry my hair and all it looks nice. For reference my hair is color-treated, light blonde and fine, not many split ends and healthy for the most part, somehow haha. I used to use coconut oil as my night time face wash, by just putting warm water on my face and rubbing the oil in as I would with a face wash, then rinsing well. I did this maybe twice to ensure all the makeup was off, and it works really well. However, I started to use a gentle cleanser after taking my makeup off with it, just because I started getting small clogged pores on my jawline, those little flesh colored ones with no head and if you try to squeeze they erupt into huge zits. This could very well be from something else, but my intuition tells me its the coconut oil. However, I am acne prone and have dry skin. But after using a cleanser after taking my makeup off with it, they seem to be going away. After using it a while I have gotten a lot of compliments from people telling me I look like I am glowing. It's worth a shot I think for any skin type, it just may take a little to figure out how to fit it into your routine.

p.s. my dog also loves this as a little snack!

on 5/1/2013 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love coconut oil and use it nightly on my face as a moisturizer. It leaves my face dewy fresh in the morning and very hydrated (my skin is normal-dry). Surprisingly it is not greasy and does not stain your sheets.
I also use coconut oil once a week as a hair mask - on the ends of my hair (ear down) and then leave in for a couple of hours and wash out with shampoo. I also use it in my hair at night weekly and put a small amount on the areas where I use a straightening iron (bangs and ends)..wash out in the morning.
Coconut oil is the best beauty oil around - I wouldnt use anything else. I read the book - Coconut Nut Oil Miracle - you will be amazed on this miracle oil...

on 5/1/2013 7:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

normally because of my oily skin I swear away all oils from my skin, but this is an awesome light oil that helps my complexion. I use it in the evening as a supplement to my Bare Escentuals moisturizer and I wake up with a glowing face. It has only been a week, but no breakouts so far. I also combine the organic Coconut oil with baking soda and use the paste as a cheap and effective facial scrub in conjunction with my clarisonic. I also use it as a hair conditioner and hair treatment on the cheap. who knew that this product could be as effective as a beauty product as it is a cooking product. This product is a definite clutter buster! Less priducts to clutter my closet with, LOL!

on 4/29/2013 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I love ev coconut oil!!! I use it to moisture my scalp my skin my face everything!!!! Its a great hot oil treatment for dry ends and a great moisturizer to apply after sitting in the sun it helps a tan last for days and makes skin so soft and smooth plus it smells awesome

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Coconut oil is my HG skin moisturizer! After having very dry, scaly and flaky skin for years and going through so many different lotions that claim to heal and soothe, I picked up a jar in the cooking oil section of wal mart and tried my luck. I never looked back. It is quite greasy if you use too much, and my sheets suffered for it. My thing is to dig a small hunk out while its solid and let the heat of my hand melt, and then apply after my shower. Unlike lotions there's no tackiness or stickiness, and my skin stays soft even in winter. Its good for your hair and I even used it to take off my make up with no breakouts- ah-mazing! Best thing is, its scentless..hm, maybe a small hint of nuttiness but nothing overpowering, at all. Most of all, its pretty much shut down my flaky, dry skin; I couldn't be happier and more pleased with the stuff and at under $8 a jar, its a steal and will last you, since a little bit goes a long way.

on 4/26/2013 3:56:00 PM

I use this for a moisturizer for my body and it has helped so much with my extremely dry alligator skin :) I tried using it as a facial moisturizer but it dried out my face...sad! I also love using coconut oil as a carrier for essential oils :)

on 4/22/2013 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff has saved my hair and skin. I use it as a night time moisturiser for my oily skin, which is also very sensitive. Your skin feels a little greasy straight after application but by morning I am not oily and my skin feels softer and glows like it never has. It's not too heavy, doesn't break me out, and is super cheap! Also use it as a hair mask, an keeps my super dry ends in check :)

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products